Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retrofitting C117 Canbus-B Interfacing seats and controller

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLA200
Retrofitting C117 Canbus-B Interfacing seats and controller

Hi All,

I have a project (with no canbus) where im planning on using my spare C117 seats from my CLA200. The seat controls for these are on the door, I believe it's still using the same Canbus-B (interior).

Would it be possible to connect the 2 can bus wires on each device (door switch and seat) together to control movements, obviously need to get 12v to the seat and power the door switch also. If not what would new the best way to achieve an outcome to control the seats?

I can rewire the motors just with manual switches but I would like to retain the seat controllers as I believe they have limit switches etc.

Cheers
Ben
Old 03-03-2024, 02:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,612 Likes on 2,404 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
custom comfort CAN

Originally Posted by bawbanksy
Hi All,

I have a project (with no canbus) where im planning on using my spare C117 seats from my CLA200. The seat controls for these are on the door, I believe it's still using the same Canbus-B (interior).

Would it be possible to connect the 2 can bus wires on each device (door switch and seat) together to control movements, obviously need to get 12v to the seat and power the door switch also. If not what would new the best way to achieve an outcome to control the seats?

I can rewire the motors just with manual switches but I would like to retain the seat controllers as I believe they have limit switches etc.

Cheers
Ben
it's German... its more complicated than we think
They use no limit switches, the limits are learned dynamically by software.

On your private local bus you'll need to add termination resistance 100R (or 60R or 120R).
🤞
Old 03-03-2024, 03:13 AM

CLA200
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
it's German... its more complicated than we think
They use no limit switches, the limits are learned dynamically by software.

On your private local bus you'll need to add termination resistance 100R (or 60R or 120R).
🤞

thats super helpful. thank you.

On the seats I believe

Pin 29: CAN B H
Pin 30: CAN B L

I also dont have a wiring diagram, just a few bits and pieces. Where would I add the terminating resistor/s? In hope I wired the can bus on the switch directly to the seat with no success.

Im not sure that the seat is going to be providing the power also required for the switch to work and I may need to inject with some sort of transceiver or what not.
Old 03-03-2024, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

handy tinkering

thats super helpful. thank you.

On the seats I believe

Pin 29: CAN B H
Pin 30: CAN B L

I also dont have a wiring diagram, just a few bits and pieces. Where would I add the terminating resistor/s? In hope I wired the can bus on the switch directly to the seat with no success.

Im not sure that the seat is going to be providing the power also required for the switch to work and I may need to inject with some sort of transceiver or what not.
this is a fun research topic, no guarantee of perfect success. Module CAN to CAN should work.

The CAN resistor are across both bus signals, nop because there are always in pair so GND to CAN +/-.

Each module needs to be powered up: +12V/GND.

My seat control with Memory module for DCU

The 3 wires output connector suggest this seat buttons module is a LIN, not CAN!

It is attached to DCU Module that connects data over CAN-B. That tells me you need to involve DCU as a LIN/CAN transceiver.

Once you have your module connected, you'll see if datagram between modules are co-operating???

Old 03-03-2024, 05:50 PM

CLA200
this is a fun research topic, no guarantee of perfect success. Module CAN to CAN should work.

The CAN resistor are across both bus signals, nop because there are always in pair so GND to CAN +/-.

Each module needs to be powered up: +12V/GND.

My seat control with Memory module for DCU

The 3 wires output connector suggest this seat buttons module is a LIN, not CAN!

It is attached to DCU Module that connects data over CAN-B. That tells me you need to involve DCU as a LIN/CAN transceiver.

Once you have your module connected, you'll see if datagram between modules are co-operating???
You're dead right and in this instance.. that sucks. Was hoping the door switch was just CAN and didnt rely on the DCU. Not sure where to go now as I dont have A DCU and already bought door switches. If I get a DCU and it works then great, but if it doesn't ill have a full set of DCU and switches that aren't going to do much good.

Im thinking out aloud here but if the seat module has LIN, possibly for the lumbar switch could I interface with that or is the DCU getting the inputs from the seat switch and then spitting them out as CAN messages.

If I could get a pinout for both the seat switch, SCU and potentially DCU it would make life a whole lot easier

Last edited by bawbanksy; 03-03-2024 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

group of parts

yeah, I think you're starting to see some light. The modules firmware code does what it does and we know flexibility and open stack are not built-in.

As much as I like hooking up buttons directly to the seat, I don't think the seat controller is going to query around for inputs.

We don't know much about proprietary hardware and even less about their source code features.

I feel you best shot is to cutout this system around pieces you can reuse as is. Include DCU and you may have a good chance at commanding the matching seat controller, right?
Old 03-03-2024, 08:03 PM

CLA200
yeah, I think you're starting to see some light. The modules firmware code does what it does and we know flexibility and open stack are not built-in.

As much as I like hooking up buttons directly to the seat, I don't think the seat controller is going to query around for inputs.

We don't know much about proprietary hardware and even less about their source code features.

I feel you best shot is to cutout this system around pieces you can reuse as is. Include DCU and you may have a good chance at commanding the matching seat controller, right?

Makes sense, will keep an eye out for a cheap DCU to try.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:00 PM

CLA200
Makes sense, will keep an eye out for a cheap DCU to try.

DCU's are arriving today. Its just a standard 120ohm resister I need right?
Old 03-05-2024, 06:11 PM

CLA200
Also need to find out with connector and pins for 12v, ACC potentially, GRND and CAN HIGH & LOW.

Old 03-05-2024, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

INCOMING DCU controller

DCU's are arriving today. Its just a standard 120ohm resister I need right?
Good luck with progress today

120Resistor used to be the CAN legendary termination resistors at either ends.... now it's changed to a single pair of 60R at the distribution bars.

I would use 100R to GND from both CAN+/- lines.
This is used to bias a reference so output voltage levels don't float openly. You don't need extremely exact values.

🤞

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 03-05-2024 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:18 PM

CLA200
Perfect, just have to try work out pins/connectors on DCU to get them up and running
Old 03-06-2024, 05:57 AM

CLA200
Perfect, just have to try work out pins/connectors on DCU to get them up and running

It works.... Seat switches plugged into DCU with can bus directly connected between DCU and SEATCU. It is possible
Old 03-06-2024, 07:21 PM

CLA200
It works.... Seat switches plugged into DCU with can bus directly connected between DCU and SEATCU. It is possible

Is it at all possible to by connectors, looked on wis and epc but can't see anything. Need the main body to SCU connector (white) and a connector for the DCU?
Old 03-06-2024, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

shortcut

Is it at all possible to by connectors, looked on wis and epc but can't see anything. Need the main body to SCU connector (white) and a connector for the DCU?
Congratulations

All sorts of connectors would be nice but for now soldering works... why don't you make your own pigtails with a pair of M/F connectors easily available where you like to shop.

No one is going to tell you, it's the wrong connector, right?
Old 03-06-2024, 08:00 PM

CLA200
That was the plan just didnt love the idea of soldering direct to pins.
Old 05-31-2024, 03:40 AM

w213
That was the plan just didnt love the idea of soldering direct to pins.
I’m trying the same thing but can’t get mine to work, did you use have to use resistors?
Old 05-31-2024, 03:41 AM

CLA200
Originally Posted by tdrake
I’m trying the same thing but can’t get mine to work, did you use have to use resistors?

sure did.. just to ground on each line.
Old 05-31-2024, 04:09 AM

w213
sure did.. just to ground on each line.
Ok perfect. Also thanks for the quick reply. So a 100ohm resistor on each can line right before they go into the seat control unit? I’m pretty decent with wiring, but canbus eludes me lol
Old 05-31-2024, 04:17 AM

CLA200
Ok perfect. Also thanks for the quick reply. So a 100ohm resistor on each can line right before they go into the seat control unit? I’m pretty decent with wiring, but canbus eludes me lol

I did it on the door controller but I cant se why it won't work there. just try and see
Old 06-01-2024, 07:13 PM

w213
I did it on the door controller but I cant se why it won't work there. just try and see
Ok tried that and it didn’t work, but I’m sure I most likely did the resistors wrong. Could you show or explain how you have yours attached to the system?
Old 06-02-2024, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

don't mind me asking why you are adding more resistors in the existing CAN.
I saw mine built-in the bus-bars near front thresholds.
One set is all that's necessary.

Instead of using TWO sets of 120R to end up in parallel as 60R... MB uses only ONE set of 60R at threshold.
That's Not really an active issue.
Old 06-03-2024, 10:50 PM

w213
don't mind me asking why you are adding more resistors in the existing CAN.
I saw mine built-in the bus-bars near front thresholds.
One set is all that's necessary.

Instead of using TWO sets of 120R to end up in parallel as 60R... MB uses only ONE set of 60R at threshold.
That's Not really an active issue.
from what they are saying it may be needed because the seats aren’t going in a Mercedes, they’re going into a car without canbus. I’ve tried it with and without resistors and mine still does not work, so I’m still trying to figure it out.
Old 06-04-2024, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

from what they are saying it may be needed because the seats aren’t going in a Mercedes, they’re going into a car without canbus. I’ve tried it with and without resistors and mine still does not work, so I’m still trying to figure it out.
I seeee...., you are trying to recycle the seat + controller in a car without CAN-Bus and likely want this to work normally stand alone without networking.

I have not tried that but there's something there to be discovered I am sure.

In that case play with resistance, no functionality to loose. No CAN then

​​​​​​