Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Needed: CarFax report...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Needed: CarFax report...

Does anyone have accsess to CarFax? Can you look up: WDB10704412065298

Will greatly appreciate your effort.......DB Thank You
Old 11-14-2004, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Wht don't you just purchase the report???
Old 11-14-2004, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by sosh
Wht don't you just purchase the report???

Well it's like this, I'm too cheap!

The reason I ask for a CarFax here is because I had expected that like so many other car forums with members who offer doing CarFax's for fellow members, I might expect the same, but oh well, maybe that might be to much to ask here!
Old 11-14-2004, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you can't afford the report you certainly can't afford to own a Benz
Old 11-15-2004, 08:27 AM

Question

If you can't afford the report you certainly can't afford to own a Benz

Sosh, do you receive technical help and advise from fellow benz owners here on this forum?

Do you Sosh, offer in return your help to fellow forum Benz owners in need for answers?

I see that you have been here on this BenzWorld.org forum for quite a while and have posted almost 700 times. I'm a newbie here to this forum, but a senior member on a couple other forums that also include Mercedes and Volvo too!

The objective of most of these car forums in my opinion, and I think this MB forum too, is to build a membership of fellow enthusiast eager to help other members with their technical questions, receive help, share related stories, make new friends, have someone to talk to. All of this comes to us free! We help eachother and not ask anything in return. Each member gives what he can in return for his or her help received.

I have only posted here 12 times, already I have helped a few members giving helpful answers to their questions. I have a fare amount of knowledge with these cars and am willing to share what I have learned for those who are in need for answers. Most who post questions here, and in other forums as well, are more often than not for the purpous of DIY.

My question to you Sosh, what is the reason do you suppose why many members here are posting technical questions?

DB

Last edited by DieselBenz; 11-15-2004 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:45 PM

School bus
Talking

Hey Dieselbenz, no offence here but asking for a Car Fax report is not exactly a technical question. It does sounds cheap and I have to agree with Sosh.

If your rear end is leaking and you need help with it, I am sure many members will poke around to help you out! :v
Old 11-15-2004, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by deltadude388
Hey Dieselbenz, no offence here but asking for a Car Fax report is not exactly a technical question. It does sounds cheap and I have to agree with Sosh.

If your rear end is leaking and you need help with it, I am sure many members will poke around to help you out! :v
Thanks, I totally agree with you. Asking for the report is like begging for money on the sidewalk. By his own admission he is cheap and it seems to show.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:20 PM

Thanks, I totally agree with you. Asking for the report is like begging for money on the sidewalk. By his own admission he is cheap and it seems to show.
First of all, I am not looking at buying a car here! I was given this 1980 450SL by my brother who bought it a short while ago. He wont be able to do anything with it now because he was just diagnosed with Multiple Myoloma, cancer of the blood. when he got the car he was told no history on this car either. My reason for asking for the CarFax.

Well it looks like I'm getting off to a real friendly start here! While several members of two other forums I belong have looked up CarFax info for fellow members, one might assume it was no big deal, and just people helping people.

Your first response sosh, was so "franklyspeaking" that I must be a cheapskate, and so I responded with what you wanted to hear!

Then you were suggestive with your reply by saying that if I could not afford a CarFax report, that I could not afford a Benz.

If you see my request as liken to "begging for money on the sidewalk" that's pretty low, and insulting!

It seems odd to me that everyone responding here to my posts, (I also posted the same question in another section here), would generate so much negativity!

Now I'm beginning to understand why so many new members here post a couple of times and then leave! I answered at least 12 posts here where none of you seniors would respond. Maybe they didn't own a new enough Benz to be a member here, on this MB forum! So like them, I'll do you all a favor too..........GOOD BY

Last edited by DieselBenz; 11-15-2004 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:37 PM

Car Fax

What I truly believe is that some people here dont own a mercedes, and the ones who do dont own but one. Just because this is an MD forum doesnt change the fact that this is still the internet. People can say or be who they want to be online. Many do it offline...........

If I had a subscription to Car Fax I would gladly look the VIN # up for you but I dont. I would agree however that a Car Fax is not a technical report which is what most people look for when they come here. Now I would never pay to take a subscription to help you, but I do come around here to see if i can learn a thing or two and maybe shell out a little advice here and there. Please continue to come around and lets try to help each other.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by electric blue

If I had a subscription to Car Fax I would gladly look the VIN # up for you but I dont. I would agree however that a Car Fax is not a technical report which is what most people look for when they come here. Now I would never pay to take a subscription to help you, but I do come around here to see if i can learn a thing or two and maybe shell out a little advice here and there.
I never expected anyone to pay for a CarFax report as that would be ludicrous! I am aware of how little info is supplied as one of the fellow members at another MB forum provided me for my 87 300D. Basically what you get is reports listing when the car changed ownership, and at what mileage, and if your lucky, there may be included a brief service record history and maybe an emissions report and not much else!

If you purchase CarFax, I'm told you are limited to 20 car reports. Many of the guys who buy CarFax, are wanting to look at just one car, the remaining 19 look-ups they offer to their fellow forum members instead of throwing them away! I guess nobody ever heard of that on this forum!

All I wanted was to see if I could find where this 80 450SL car originated,
and if there might have been any service history. This car's odometer stopped at 178K but I have no idea how long ago! If there had been available a CarFax report for cars prior to 1981, I might have had a better idea of how many miles it has on it! But I learned the other day CarFax is limited to 1981 and up.

I just joined this forum and unlike all others I have joined, and maybe I'm a little sensitive, but receiving only negative output from the beginning after posting positive help here isn't welcoming!
Old 11-16-2004, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
There are a lot of members on here that have helped others with a carfax. Some even advertised that they had free ones to give. What I think is working against you is your status; being a newbie. Too many times have we experienced noobs coming onto this forum asking for freebies. And just because you have a track record on other forums doesn't necessarily count on here. Matter of fact if members on these other forums are so helpful why did you come over here asking for a carfax? This is not a flame but food for thought.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 Bluetec, 1996 S320 & 2006 E320 CDI Sold to my son & 2017 GMC 2500 Diesel Pick up
Don't get your panties in such a bind

Don't get your panties in such a bind, I have only been on this forum for less than a year but have had 90% great help from this group. A few question not even replied to but hay maybe the guy with the know was out that day.
Keep trying its all good. I understand where your coming from, I would like to know any history on my car but not $20 worth. Now if I was having a problem and ran out of ideas I would pay to see if it had maybe accured before. Good luck
RCS
Old 11-16-2004, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Matter of fact if members on these other forums are so helpful why did you come over here asking for a carfax? This is not a flame but food for thought.
I posted this same question on three MB forums all on the same day figuring I could get a report sooner than later. I never thought of it as intrusive, or a wrong thing to do. Several days prior to my CarFax post, I had replied to several member's tech questions here and responded with helpful info. If I had not at least done that, but instead just posted on here once asking for a freebie CarFax, I can understand people feeling the way they do!

I am a mechanic and know Mercedes Benz cars very well, in particular, 617 and 603 diesels. I thought I could be helpful here as well and meet and make more friends. I never considered my question as a newbie to be as intrusive!

Last edited by DieselBenz; 11-16-2004 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:00 PM

C240 2002
CarFax

I don't get why people want to trash each other through these forums. The guy was asking a question, that's all!

I worked for a short time at a dealership and we pulled Carfax reports for customers on used vehicles customers were interested in. I was told -- perhaps this is accurate and perhaps not -- that each Carfax report we pulled cost us $8.50. If true, an adequate/more polite response to the request would be, "Sorry, but since a Carfax report costs at least $8.50, I suggest you do one yourself." That's a bit more polite.