Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filter conundrum new owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 mercedes benz e400 4matic
Oil filter conundrum new owner

Hi! I am the new owner of a 2015 mercedes benz e400 4matic. Nice meeting you folks! I would like to change the oil, and though it is nice that I don’t have to crawl under the vehicle to access the oil filter, I can’t loosen the D*** plastic oil filter housing. I tried everything. First got an oil filter wrench that was too small. Then got a variable size one that slipped. Now have a 74mm one that is slightly large, put a latex glove around the housing and fits snug but still slips. How do I get it off with damaging it? Also, I plan on using an electric pump to pump out the oil through the dipstick tube so I don’t have to crawl under the car and undo a million screws. Has this been done before? Does it work well?
Old Today, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,374 Likes on 2,246 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
hand made selection

Originally Posted by 4Rock
Hi! I am the new owner of a 2015 mercedes benz e400 4matic. Nice meeting you folks! I would like to change the oil, and though it is nice that I don’t have to crawl under the vehicle to access the oil filter, I can’t loosen the D*** plastic oil filter housing. I tried everything. First got an oil filter wrench that was too small. Then got a variable size one that slipped.
Now have a 74mm one that is slightly large, put a latex glove around the housing and fits snug but still slips. How do I get it off with damaging it? Also, I plan on using an electric pump to pump out the oil through the dipstick tube so I don’t have to crawl under the car and undo a million screws. Has this been done before?
Does it work well?
Yes, all of this and combinations of it have been tried and practiced around MBWorld forums.

The big deal about changing your engine oil every 5kMi is not to save $800... it's to use a better lubricant you favor.

The plastic filter housing with the large O-ring, needs only to be snug... 25NM is destructive for overheated plastics.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; Today at 12:37 AM.