Mercedes Vehicles The archived section for Mercedes vehicles on sale by members.
Mark this thread as Unsold

FS: Excellent '95 C36 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 10:29 PM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Plays With Cars
FS: Excellent '95 C36 AMG

Summary: Excellent condition 1995 C36 AMG, 101k, $9,000 OBO.

Let me start by saying that this is an incredible car. For those not familiar with it, the 1995 C36 AMG was the first joint collaboration between AMG and Mercedes-Benz, and was sold through Mercedes dealers with a full warranty. As such, it has the over-engineered reliability that the W202 body style is famous for with an extra dash of sport and exclusivity. There were less than 500 C36 AMGs imported into the USA each of the three years it was produced, so it’s a fairly rare car. To put it in context, the C36 AMG was Mercedes’ answer to the BMW M3 and Audi S4/S6, and the performance is comparable. The C36 started life as a C280, shipped straight from the production line to AMG. AMG tore down the 2.8L straight six and bored it out to a 3.6L, upping HP from 180 to 268. Suspension was upgraded with lower springs, stiffer shocks, and thicker anti-roll bars. The brakes were upgraded with bigger rotors and calipers and cooling ducts from the front fascia. Wheels were upgraded to the classic 17” AMG monoblocs, staggered front to rear with rolled fenders to accommodate the bigger wheels. An AMG body kit, exhaust, gauges, sport seats, badging, steering wheel, and carbon-fiber pillar trim complete the package. It includes all the power goodies that were options on the C280, like 7 way power heated sport seats, slide and tilt moon-roof, stability and traction control (defeatable), cruise control, automatic climate control, Bose audio system with 6 CD changer, and power heated mirrors. My C36 also features an aftermarket "Avantgarde" grille and OEM Mercedes flat hood badge (original standing star included). I've owned BMWs, Porsches, Saabs, an Audi, etc but this is my favorite by far. It is the best compromise between sport and comfort, equal parts daily driver and sports car. It’s fun, but without any bad traits that make it unpleasant to drive daily. At 25 MPG highway, it’s also quite efficient for a sports sedan.

My '95 C36 AMG is in excellent condition inside and out with 101,000 miles. Carpets are essentially perfect as are the perforated leather seats, no tears or stains. No dash cracks, no smoking, no pets. The wood has a nice glossy shine, and everything (except the heated seats) works perfectly. This is a very solid car, the build quality is amazing. No rattles, the doors thud like a safe when they close. It drives very smoothly with strong acceleration and shifting (4-speed automatic is known for being bulletproof). No warning lights. Exterior paint is excellent with a great shine. Thanks to the clear bra installed on the front end and mirrors there are no rock chips. Body panels all have their OEM VIN tags intact, so I don't believe it has been in an accident. I'm an **** retentive engineer and believe in preventative maintenance, so during my ownership it's received new Royal Purple synthetic fluids in the differential and transmission, new transmission filter and gasket, ATE Super Blue brake fluid, new OE power-steering fluid and filter, spark plugs, fuel filter, steering damper, alternator, battery, Gatorback serpentine belt, fan blade, shift lever bushing, tie rods and center link, alignment, fresh Mobil 1 and filter, along with a few other small things. All of my work is backed up by receipts and summarized in an Excel file. Clear KS title in hand with no liens. I would trust this car to go anywhere.

Faults are very few, but I believe in full disclosure when selling a vehicle. The heated seats are inoperative except for the passenger backrest heater, very common for Mercedes. Two small scratches on the clear plastic cover over the gauges. Button #1 on the radio is missing. The wheels have a few very small spots where the clearcoat has chipped. Body is very straight, one very small ding on the passenger side that is so small that I can't get it to show in pictures. Overall it's a VERY nice car, but I want to provide the same thorough description that I expect when I buy a car online. I'm very **** with cars, and believe in full disclosure.

So why am I wanting to sell? As you can see from the preventative maintenance I planned on keeping this car for a long time, unfortunately my financial situation dictates that I must sell it. I'm looking for $9k OBO. If you're interested, email me at "jessup3 at ***.net" or call at 316-680-1748. I also have a large assortment of pictures of the C36 that I can email. Thanks for looking!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:52 AM

Plays With Cars
Bump..
Old 04-05-2009, 02:56 PM

Plays With Cars
Bump
Old 04-05-2009, 03:00 PM

Plays With Cars
New interior pic.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03' E55 AMG
looking at the market for this model...i got 5k...i know its looks like i'm low balln you, but its the market. you are going to have a hard time getting what you're asking for. jmo. let me know..i'm interested.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
ya i hate to say it as well but the market is what it is and some seller's don't want to agree with it. for the year and mile's i say 5k sounds about right. I've seen couple go for that price around here
Old 04-05-2009, 06:33 PM

Plays With Cars
Originally Posted by lhoang
looking at the market for this model...i got 5k...i know its looks like i'm low balln you, but its the market. you are going to have a hard time getting what you're asking for. jmo. let me know..i'm interested.

I'm cool with a lowball offer, it's part of selling a car online. But don't qualify it with a statement like "looking at the market for this model" that just makes you look stupid. Had you actually looked at the market for this model you'd realize that there are twelve (that's 12) C36s for sale on Autotrader in the entire country. The cheapest of these is $6900, but it has 145,000 miles on it. The next cheapest is $7900.

As for your offer, no. I've turned down much higher offers than that. No way you find a C36 for $5k, unless you take on a pretty substantial project.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:37 PM

03' E55 AMG
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy
I'm cool with a lowball offer, it's part of selling a car online. But don't qualify it with a statement like "looking at the market for this model" that just makes you look stupid. Had you actually looked at the market for this model you'd realize that there are twelve (that's 12) C36s for sale on Autotrader in the entire country. The cheapest of these is $6900, but it has 145,000 miles on it. The next cheapest is $7900.

As for your offer, no. I've turned down much higher offers than that. No way you find a C36 for $5k, unless you take on a pretty substantial project.
thats cool. yes, i've looked on autotrader. the reason you see them on there becuz they are not SOLD yet. that should tell you something as well. good luck.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:52 PM

Plays With Cars
Originally Posted by lhoang
thats cool. yes, i've looked on autotrader. the reason you see them on there becuz they are not SOLD yet. that should tell you something as well. good luck.
Watch the ads for a few months (as I have). You'll find that most of the cars for sale today are not the same cars as a 2 months ago. With a little research, you'll also find that 95% of C36 models are priced in the same range as mine.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
LOL......
Old 04-05-2009, 11:34 PM
POS

1966 250SE Cab, 1985 500SE Euro, 1985 190e 2.3-16 AMG, 1986 300E LeMons Car
I've been watching the C36 market for awhile b/c I'm banging on the idea of selling my 67k mile 300D and get something more fun to drive. I would expect his 101k mile C36 to come in at his $9000 price - it's a fair price. If he was willing to sell it for $5000, I'd be all over it because that would be an absolute swinging deal in which I couldn't lose.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
Originally Posted by POS
I've been watching the C36 market for awhile b/c I'm banging on the idea of selling my 67k mile 300D and get something more fun to drive. I would expect his 101k mile C36 to come in at his $9000 price - it's a fair price. If he was willing to sell it for $5000, I'd be all over it because that would be an absolute swinging deal in which I couldn't lose.
for a soon to be 15 year old car to pay 9k??? he'd be happy to sell it to you. kbb.com has it at little over 5k, although i never go by that but it's a guide that i compare to BUT as stated in this economy and market it is what it is, no more then 5k.

anywho GL to the OP..

Last edited by Alexbenz; 04-05-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW and Mercedes
No MORE than 5k you say? Sorry but that is pretty far off of reality, given condition, mileage, etc. I'm not saying that 9k is the best price either, but I've seen full C36 drivetrains pull 3k in recent months, let alone a car in great condition with (for age) limited miles. The vast majority of these cars have been steadily trading for 6-8000 in the last 12-15 months, and this certainly isn't a candidate for the lowest end of that range. I know the used market in soCAL is a little superficial in terms of pricing, but most other places in the country can value a rare car such as this in such great shape. Great looking w202 AMG, and free bump for the seller
Old 04-06-2009, 09:25 AM

Plays With Cars
Originally Posted by Alexbenz
for a soon to be 15 year old car to pay 9k??? he'd be happy to sell it to you. kbb.com has it at little over 5k, although i never go by that but it's a guide that i compare to BUT as stated in this economy and market it is what it is, no more then 5k.

anywho GL to the OP..
There were approximately 500 C36 AMGs imported for each of the three years it was made. KBB is totally irrelevant for cars with such low production numbers.

There's lots of 15 year old cars that sell for a lot more money than $9k. Do you honestly believe that age is the sole driver for value? I'm sure a lot of Porsche 911 owners would be interested in your hypothesis, as the older 993 models are selling for more than many newer 996 models.

"in this economy and market it is what it is" - what the hell are you talking about? Do you even know? The "market" for these cars would be the available cars for sale. Browse cars.com, autotrader, Ebay, and the various Benz forums. The "market" would indicate that the majority of these cars sell for between $8-10k. Again, don't pretend to be informed, as your ignorance is easily exposed. You can redeem yourself if you can show that the average C36 AMG is priced at/near $5k. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:26 AM

Plays With Cars
POS and FLYNAVY, thanks for the realistic affirmation.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
There were approximately 500 C36 AMGs imported for each of the three years it was made. KBB is totally irrelevant for cars with such low production numbers.

There's lots of 15 year old cars that sell for a lot more money than $9k. Do you honestly believe that age is the sole driver for value? I'm sure a lot of Porsche 911 owners would be interested in your hypothesis, as the older 993 models are selling for more than many newer 996 models.

"in this economy and market it is what it is" - what the hell are you talking about? Do you even know? The "market" for these cars would be the available cars for sale. Browse cars.com, autotrader, Ebay, and the various Benz forums. The "market" would indicate that the majority of these cars sell for between $8-10k. Again, don't pretend to be informed, as your ignorance is easily exposed. You can redeem yourself if you can show that the average C36 AMG is priced at/near $5k. Good luck.

ahah, easy there man. Choose to believe what you want but you don't have a collector's item. Your just blind to see how it is, i'd like to see how long you'll be sitting on your ride to sell, already i see a old thread you had it priced lower but in this new thread you actually raised the price? lol.....

do what you wish but i'm out, no need to argue or say anything
Old 04-06-2009, 03:56 PM

Plays With Cars
Originally Posted by Alexbenz
ahah, easy there man. Choose to believe what you want but you don't have a collector's item. Your just blind to see how it is, i'd like to see how long you'll be sitting on your ride to sell, already i see a old thread you had it priced lower but in this new thread you actually raised the price? lol.....

do what you wish but i'm out, no need to argue or say anything
Thanks for your well informed and articulate answer. The previous ad was for $8950, this time I posted it for $9000 because it's a nice even number.

To support your thorough market research, the first buyer to test drive it today made me an offer very near my asking price which I will probably accept. It is most certainly NOT $5k.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:47 PM

Plays With Cars
Sold!
Old 04-08-2009, 01:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E55 C43 993C2S
Sold!
Congrats...

Did it sell for the 5k that the previous posters believe that your car is worth?

Let us know.......
Old 04-08-2009, 01:34 PM

Plays With Cars
Originally Posted by trinitony
Congrats...

Did it sell for the 5k that the previous posters believe that your car is worth?

Let us know.......
Nope, because they have no idea what they're talking about. I sold it for $8k to the first person that drove it. Personally I think I could have held out and eventually got $8500, but I didn't really want to wait for an extended period of time.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Does this mean you are only going to be on the Pelican forum? You're a hoot over there.

Congrats on the sale. Someone picked up a nice AMG.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:55 PM

Plays With Cars
Thanks! Pelican is a drug that I can't kick. What's your screen name over there?
Old 04-08-2009, 02:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E55 C43 993C2S
Nope, because they have no idea what they're talking about. I sold it for $8k to the first person that drove it. Personally I think I could have held out and eventually got $8500, but I didn't really want to wait for an extended period of time.
kool...I've seen you on Pelican -I think I mentioned that you should of listed it there. I also found my E55 on there....

Some folks r looking for steals and not deals. A 5k C36 and quickly become a 9k C36...

Last edited by trinitony; 04-08-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
Originally Posted by trinitony
kool...I've seen you on Pelican -I think I mentioned that you should of listed it there. I also found my E55 on there....

Some folks r looking for steals and not deals. A 5k C36 and quickly become a 9k C36...
not a steal just not over paying for some metal that someone thinks is a collector's item, lol........feel bad for the person that bought it but oh well....
Old 04-09-2009, 01:03 AM

2005 c230 sport, k7 gsxr
Alexbenz why u hating so much?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FS: Excellent '95 C36 AMG