Mercedes Vehicles The archived section for Mercedes vehicles on sale by members.
Mark this thread as Unsold

Feeler: 1991 MB SL500 (Time Capsule)

Old 12-30-2009, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 SL500
Feeler: 1991 MB SL500 (Time Capsule)

Trying to establish value and see if anyone might be interested. I know it may take some time to find the right buyer for this car.

I have a pristine 1991 Red over Tan SL500 that is basically "brand new"...in heated garage with everything original as purchased new in '91....original tires, tool kit, etc....basically a time capsule here! :-)

Have cloth top (black) on the car, plus a Red removable hardtop on rollaway carrier that has never been on the car!

3,368 original miles as it sits right now.

What is it worth?

Thanks for any interest or opinions,

John
Old 12-31-2009, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Can you even start the car ? I dont think 19 years old tires, engine oil, battery...... Pictures ?
Old 12-31-2009, 08:36 AM

1991 SL500
Oh heck yeah! This car is well maintained and driven on occasion...started often, etc. It has a Battery Tender on it. Like I said, it just sits too much. It was a very expensive car new that just hasn't been utilized very much. It's a true Garage Queen!

I'll load up some pics to my Photobucket Account when I get a chance here.

John

Originally Posted by CharlyE500
Can you even start the car ? I dont think 19 years old tires, engine oil, battery...... Pictures ?
Old 01-02-2010, 01:47 AM

2000 C230 Kompressor
If it's a true 1991 it's a 500 SL. You might want to start with KBB to get a ball park figure and go up from there because of the low mileage.

The problem with a car that old and such low miles is that if it hasn't been driven much (Starting and letting it run doesn't really count) the seals and gaskets in the engine & transmission tend to dry out and crack.

Then when somebody buys it and starts driving it regularly, the seals/gaskets start to leak.

Even so, a car with that low mileage might be hard to pass up for the right collector.

Good luck!
Old 01-02-2010, 09:33 AM

1991 SL500
Yes, it's a 500 SL.....sorry about the wrong terminology. :-) I'd tend to agree with the gasket/seals thing "under normal conditions"...but not for a car that is in a temperature controlled garage (basically it's "in the house"), there is no or very little temperature variance. When running but not driving, as long as you get that great V-8 engine up to operating temperature, that's good enough. The car gets driven but probably only 10 or so miles a year of late.

I am hoping to get the car in front of a serious MB Collector....the usual places will only generate "low-ball" offers most likely. KBB was saying around $17k the last time I checked...well, that simply won't do for this pristine example. I was thinking around $30k to $35k for this beauty. I think that's very reasonable for a car that cost $120k+ only 3,300 miles ago!

Maybe I'll take it to auction...like I said this car is basically brand new! With a little detailing it would look like it just got off the ship!

Any other suggestions welcome....

Thanks,

John

Originally Posted by GlockDaddy
If it's a true 1991 it's a 500 SL. You might want to start with KBB to get a ball park figure and go up from there because of the low mileage.

The problem with a car that old and such low miles is that if it hasn't been driven much (Starting and letting it run doesn't really count) the seals and gaskets in the engine & transmission tend to dry out and crack.

Then when somebody buys it and starts driving it regularly, the seals/gaskets start to leak.

Even so, a car with that low mileage might be hard to pass up for the right collector.

Good luck!

Last edited by 02fanatic; 01-02-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 SL55
Originally Posted by 02fanatic
Yes, it's a 500 SL.....sorry about the wrong terminology. :-) I'd tend to agree with the gasket/seals thing "under normal conditions"...but not for a car that is in a temperature controlled garage (basically it's "in the house"), there is no or very little temperature variance. When running but not driving, as long as you get that great V-8 engine up to operating temperature, that's good enough. The car gets driven but probably only 10 or so miles a year of late.

I am hoping to get the car in front of a serious MB Collector....the usual places will only generate "low-ball" offers most likely. KBB was saying around $17k the last time I checked...well, that simply won't do for this pristine example. I was thinking around $30k to $35k for this beauty. I think that's very reasonable for a car that cost $120k+ only 3,300 miles ago!

Maybe I'll take it to auction...like I said this car is basically brand new! With a little detailing it would look like it just got off the ship!

Any other suggestions welcome....

Thanks,

John
I just sold a 1978 Porsche 928 with less than 1,500 original miles to a collector in Germany that had zero leaks; it was stored in a heated/cooled garage the first 23 years of its life. Last 8 not so much but the 5 I had it the car was stored in a bubble. If the car is started and brought up to temp regularly it's less likely there'll be leaking issues, at least that's been my experience.

The guy who bought my 928 saw it on eBay. Don't discount all the usual places to sell it b/c eBay is great advertising. Throw the valuation sites out and don't bother with taking it to auction b/c you'll never get your money doing it that way. Online is your best bet. Lots of high res pictures (having a professional photo it if taking pics is not your thing....) a detailed description and some time.

Good luck as your SL sounds like a beautiful example.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:05 PM

1991 SL500
Pristine low mileage 1991 500 SL FS Feeler...bump

Bumping my old thread....just seeing if there is any interest in a pristine one owner car with never used hard top and less than 4,000 miles....all original.

Feel free to e-mail me for more information & pics at Im4BMW@aol.com

John
Old 12-28-2012, 11:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your mom
Originally Posted by 02fanatic
Bumping my old thread....just seeing if there is any interest in a pristine one owner car with never used hard top and less than 4,000 miles....all original.

Feel free to e-mail me for more information & pics at Im4BMW@aol.com

John
Sent u an email.