ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

My ML63 - First Impressions - (Long)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
My ML63 - First Impressions - (Long)

Well guys...I did it yesterday...picked up an ML63. Something I never thought I'd see myself in since I've always been a sedan sort of guy.

My '04 E55 was totaled in an accident on Memorial Day. (Only minor injuries thankfully) I figured I'd wait for the end of summer to get the latest and greatest E class the E63. So last week it finally arrives, and although it's an awesome car, it left me wanting compared to my old E55. As I was dejectedly leaving the dealership I saw this newly arrived ML63 and thought,"that's one bad a** SUV". During the test drive I was genuinly impressed at the performance, even compared to my old E55. I know it's not true but, it felt faster than the E63 I had driven just minutes before. Maybe it's because it sits slightly higher, I don't know. All I know was that my butt dyno said this thing feels fast. After a day or two of mentally switching gears, going from a sedan mentality to an SUV, I came to the conclusion that this vehicle would work great for me. I was always shuffeling vehicles to tow my toys around with my wifes SUV. So with my mind made up I hammered out a deal, and I mean hammered I never pay MSRP, and picked it up yesterday.

Enough of MY reasons why I bought the ML63, everyone's reasoning is different. My first impressions of the truck are very positive.

Fit and finish are great, I went over the truck with a fine tooth comb at pick-up and found no issues at all. Engine noise sounds awesome and throaty and revs very quickly. I love the leather upgraded dash from the baser models and the wood trim looks and feels great. The seats are firm and form fitting, but a little snug for me in the upper shoulders. I'm 6' and about 200lbs so I don't think I'm too much out of the range of a normal sized male. If you're much larger you may want to be sure you'll be comfortable before you buy.

The electronics are all work (which is a big improvement from my '04 E55) and I'm having a blast getting familiar with them. But, with all this stuff there is alway some pecadillos. One problem is that I can't get my phone to pair up with the UHI bluetooth interface. (The problem is with my phone) Another gripe that I have is that the DVD player unit is very inconviently located underneath the second row of seats and is hard to even see, much less load. Also after much searching I found that I need another accessory switch from MB to allow the IPOD and DVD Entertainment unit to share the same command AUX input. No big deal.

Sometimes I ask myself why I spent so much $ on an SUV. And make no mistake this thing IS overpriced. All I do is step on the gas and realize that it's an AMG. It looks very hot has 503 HP, does 0-60 in 4.8, has all-wheel drive and a damn TRAILER HITCH!

I see that this forum is not quite as active as my old E55 forum, but I hope as more folks make their decisions to buy an ML63 they stop by here often to share valuable info. I'll be happy to answer any questions to help my AMG bretheren.

Finally a pict

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-23-2006, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
E55 over here to give you the thumbs up!

You know you signed a contract with us. You're part of duh fammmiilllyyyyyyy!!!!! (Spoken in mob guy voice)

Love it!! Now get THIS sucker to the track and see what she'll do. I bet she turns 13's easy.

Enjoy.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Nice!!! Cant wait till i get one!!! I love the black one!!! Are you planning on tinting the front windows?

Anymore comments on handling? ( although i test dorve one i couldnt push it as much as i wanted to)

Btw did you try to play DVD movies?

Last edited by BoBcanada; 09-23-2006 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Great choice. I haven't had the chance to drive one but the reviews i've read say the handling is a revelation.

What size are the tires? 275 all round or bigger?

Did you lease or buy outright?

Again, congratulations on your new vehicle. It may be expensive but it will be at the top of its game for a good few years so is worth every penny in my opinion.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
*jealous*

It's kinda my dream car..a ML (my first car) that pulls even faster than my current car!

Black is a great choice. That thing looks ready to kick some ****!
Old 09-23-2006, 02:57 PM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Nice

Congratulations! That is a very nice vehicle! You also took a very nice picture! can you take some more pics? Really like it in the black/black combo with tints!
Old 09-23-2006, 03:56 PM

295/40 Zr 20
Old 09-23-2006, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the props guys...Esp from my old E55 buddies. I'll certainly keep a toe in that board just to keep an eye on ya'll.

Are you planning on tinting the front windows?

Anymore comments on handling?
Bob...I probably won't tint since I'm leasing this rig. As far as handling goes, it feels really tight, but I honestly haven't wrung it out yet. Time and better weather will tell.

What size are the tires? 275 all round or bigger?

Did you lease or buy outright?
Carl, Black & tans right. the tires are 295/40's all around. They just look MASSIVE. I'm a little concerned about how they'll drive in the snow.

As far as lease or buy goes, I leased this because I'm waiting to see if they are going to put a blower or TT in the next E class AMG car. Should be just about the same time my lease expires. Plus I'm not sure a purchase is the best way to go since my wrecked E55 was almost repaired. If that would have happened I would have taken about a 10K hit in diminished value even with a perfect repair

GMW...I planning on getting more picts, just waiting for the weather to break. It's raining here in Ohio. (GO BUCKS!)
Old 09-24-2006, 01:44 PM

07 ML63; 05 E55 (sold)
That's it. I want one.

Please post lots more pics, especially interior shots!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2006, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 Audi urS6 Quattro
Originally Posted by EX-BEEMER
Thanks for the props guys...Esp from my old E55 buddies. I'll certainly keep a toe in that board just to keep an eye on ya'll.

Bob...I probably won't tint since I'm leasing this rig. As far as handling goes, it feels really tight, but I honestly haven't wrung it out yet. Time and better weather will tell.

Carl, Black & tans right. the tires are 295/40's all around. They just look MASSIVE. I'm a little concerned about how they'll drive in the snow.

As far as lease or buy goes, I leased this because I'm waiting to see if they are going to put a blower or TT in the next E class AMG car. Should be just about the same time my lease expires. Plus I'm not sure a purchase is the best way to go since my wrecked E55 was almost repaired. If that would have happened I would have taken about a 10K hit in diminished value even with a perfect repair

GMW...I planning on getting more picts, just waiting for the weather to break. It's raining here in Ohio. (GO BUCKS!)
ML55 on 285's drives fine, I had nearly bald michelins when 3 feet of snow fell in NY, got in, put on low range pulled out of a parking spot that had a huge mound of snow surrounding it. No problems, you just need to be careful of the clearance.. And on the road its grippy, and controlable, kinda pushes you to have some fun on the snow hehe.

Last edited by Militant-Grunt; 09-24-2006 at 02:27 PM. Reason: forgot to add something.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:37 PM

One last impression regards the headlights. I got a good chance to test them out last night. They're the brightest lights I've ever had. The low beams are good, but the bright beams light up the whole county! I think I pissed off several oncoming drivers because I didn't dim them soon enough.

Here ya go GMW & EagleEye...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-24-2006, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Hey how does the rear entertaiment system work? Where do you put dvd disc? Also does it come with headphones or you can switch sound to the speakers of the car?
Old 09-24-2006, 07:03 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mercedes S550
Nice Pix

Have you tried the distronic? Keep us updated with your impressions.

Enjoy your new ride in good health
Old 09-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Almost a Member!

I have a new white ML63 I got 2 days ago. Love it! It's a supercar that I can use in daily family life.. I have driven 911's, Vipers, Audi S4's, Cayanes and other vehicles. This vehicle is the funnest to drive, the quickest in response, speed and power compared to anything I have driven.
I could go on and on......
The alpine white in my opinion look awesome. I have pics but do not know how to post them due to the pic posting message.

If someone tells me how to I will post them.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by michaelt
I have a new white ML63 I got 2 days ago. Love it! It's a supercar that I can use in daily family life.. I have driven 911's, Vipers, Audi S4's, Cayanes and other vehicles. This vehicle is the funnest to drive, the quickest in response, speed and power compared to anything I have driven.
The alpine white in my opinion look awesome. I have pics but do not know how to post them due to the pic posting message.

How do you like the handling of ml63 compared to other cars you have had?
Old 09-24-2006, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Ormond2004
Have you tried the distronic? Keep us updated with your impressions.

Enjoy your new ride in good health
hey how do you know he has a distronic? Where are the controls for it? Also is it the new kind of distronic that can stop you completely in Traffic or the older one that works from the go and applies some percentage of the brakes?

Btw in Canada we dont have it as an option for some reason.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:54 PM

Ormond2004 Have you tried the distronic? Keep us updated with your impressions.
Yes, I used the distronic on the interstate on my way home form the dealership. It's my first experience with distronic and at first it's a little un-nerving waiting for the car to react. I set it to the maxium distance and we got along fine. Very easy to use. I was a little concerned that the distronic might give my V1 radar dectector fits but it doesn't affect it at all.

BoBcanada Hey how does the rear entertaiment system work? Where do you put dvd disc? Also does it come with headphones or you can switch sound to the speakers of the car?
Bob I tried it at the dealership and both my salesman and I had some initial problems getting the sound out of the cars Logic 7 speakers. It does come with plug in headphones that worked fine. We found out that the DVD player audio shares the same AUX input into the command unit as the IPOD. So to listen to the DVD Etc through the cars speakers, you have to unhook the IPOD in the glovebox. I've since found out that there is an audio input selector switch available. I'll have the dealership put one in. Since both the IPOD and DVD were factory installs they should have done that already. The DVD audio sounds great through the sound system.

And while I'm thinking about it, I have to add that the stereo system is a big improvement over my '04 E55. Much better Bass and you can actually scroll through your radio presets from the steering wheel...something you couldn't do on many W211 E class cars.

As I read my posts I find that my praise for my new ML63 sounds like I'm just enamored with a new toy. But I'm trying to be objective as well about any negatives I come across. These forums are meant to be used to share information both good and bad about our vehicles, so that we all become better informed buyers and owners. I'll share it, warts and all.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:11 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 ML63 ///AMG
I love the new pics, I cannot wait until the end of the week when mine arrives. I couldnt get a straight answer from the dealer, but did on another post in this forum... but just to confirm, yours does come with the cooling seats standard - is that right?
thanks, and again congrats - just beautiful!
Old 09-24-2006, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by EX-BEEMER
Yes, I used the distronic on the interstate on my way home form the dealership. It's my first experience with distronic and at first it's a little un-nerving waiting for the car to react. I set it to the maxium distance and we got along fine. Very easy to use. I was a little concerned that the distronic might give my V1 radar dectector fits but it doesn't affect it at all.

Bob I tried it at the dealership and both my salesman and I had some initial problems getting the sound out of the cars Logic 7 speakers. It does come with plug in headphones that worked fine. We found out that the DVD player audio shares the same AUX input into the command unit as the IPOD. So to listen to the DVD Etc through the cars speakers, you have to unhook the IPOD in the glovebox. I've since found out that there is an audio input selector switch available. I'll have the dealership put one in. Since both the IPOD and DVD were factory installs they should have done that already. The DVD audio sounds great through the sound system.

And while I'm thinking about it, I have to add that the stereo system is a big improvement over my '04 E55. Much better Bass and you can actually scroll through your radio presets from the steering wheel...something you couldn't do on many W211 E class cars.

As I read my posts I find that my praise for my new ML63 sounds like I'm just enamored with a new toy. But I'm trying to be objective as well about any negatives I come across. These forums are meant to be used to share information both good and bad about our vehicles, so that we all become better informed buyers and owners. I'll share it, warts and all.
I see, did you get the rear entertaiment system for kids? I have a 1 year old and soon i'll be ordering my ml63 and im thiking about that option.

Can you tell me a lil more about the distronic? Is it the one that can stop you completely just like they showed on S classes or its an older one just for Highway use? Also what was the option cost of it? Also where is the distronic adjustemnts and On/Off switch?

Thanks for your reply!!!
Old 09-24-2006, 10:28 PM

michaelt - I have a new white ML63 I got 2 days ago. Love it! It's a supercar that I can use in daily family life.. I have driven 911's, Vipers, Audi S4's, Cayanes and other vehicles. This vehicle is the funnest to drive, the quickest in response, speed and power compared to anything I have driven.

Congratulations Michael! I hope you're enjoying your new ride as much as I am. I am very anxious to see your picts as I have only seen the ML63 in Black and silver. I'm sure white is very sharp. I don't upload my picts to this website. I upload them to a photo website called photobucket.com and link them to here using the IMG tag photobucket assigns to each photo.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05E55
Congrats! It looks awesome.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the ML have a lower gear ratio than the other 63's? If so, I'm sure the off the line performance and feel is much better than the E or CLS.

Very nice!
Old 09-24-2006, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by L8Apex
Congrats! It looks awesome.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the ML have a lower gear ratio than the other 63's? If so, I'm sure the off the line performance and feel is much better than the E or CLS.

Very nice!
Yep it does but only first gear if i remember correctly, its been discussed in e55/63 section.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Very nice indeed, I am glad to see another E55-er picked up an ML63 himself besides myself, looks like you've got yourself a fully loaded monster truck. Congradulations!!!
Old 09-25-2006, 01:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
Ahhhh I love that thing man. Its the baddest looking suv ever.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:47 AM

Ml63

Would you be able/willing to post any details of your lease transaction? I have an October build for my ML 63, coming out of a Cayenne TT (I wanted more performance but thought the Turbo S (even more?) over-priced). The CTT replaced an '01 E55. Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My ML63 - First Impressions - (Long)