ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

ML63 or E63???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
ML63 or E63???

Currently porsche cayenne turbo S 2006 ( trying to sell ).

I want to get into a mercedes benz I had an E55.

So any suggestions? Let me know My budget for my next car is about 100k.

Anyways I am selling my porsche 2006 1500 miles black on havanna almost all options on the car techart body kit and rims plus exhaust and tips. ( not magnum kit )
Old 10-28-2006, 09:07 AM

'08 CL63
I've owned two CTT's, an '05 and an '06, and about three weeks ago traded for the ML63. Biggest reason: the ML63 is a more refined vehicle i.e. when u step on the gas it goes vs. the hesitation in the transmission and some turbo lag with the CTT's. Driving the ML63 ( I have over 3K miles on it now ) is like driving a sport sedan...feels more "planted"/stable on the road than the CTT.

Plus the ML63 is about $30K less expensive ( base msrp vs. base msrp for the CTTS ) which is always nice.

Go test drive the ML63 I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Dave
Old 10-28-2006, 10:46 AM

'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
I was faced with a similar decision and although everyone's reasoning is different, I went with the ML. I test drove them both E classes back to back and I definatly felt a difference in acceleration from the E55 to the E63. I know it sounds petty but, I wanted my NEW E class AMG to be faster than the old one. Then I drove the ML and was very pleasently surprised at it's acceleration, handling and curb appeal. Since purchasing it, I get a lot of folks at the gas station comment on what a BAD looking SUV the ML is. That's the compliment you hear the most...that's one BAD suv... What I do know is that I came from an E55 AMG sedan to the ML63 and I'm very pleased with the switch. The acceleration is what does it for me. It's amazingly fast, and with the all wheel drive you don't break traction all the time like I did when I had my E55.

The creature comforts of my loaded ML all work flawlessly (which surprised me actually as I had owned an '04 problem laden benz) From the headrest DVD screens to the IPOD interface, the distronic CC, parktronic, TPM, bluetooth and Sat radio, I'm never lacking for entertainment and I have yet to have a problem with any of it. (I'm sure I've just jinxed myself)

Good luck with your decision. Either way you can't go wrong, it's just two different ways to put a big grin on your face!
Old 10-29-2006, 02:22 AM

S550
I test drove ML 63 and E63 today.

Very similar, ML is for sure slower but pulls alot stronger then Porsche turbo S no lag what so ever. Is the turbo S quicker then ML63? Just wondering.

I am leaning towards the ML 63 amg. Sad that it doesn't have paddle shifters though.

I am picking either ML 63 or CLS63. Thanks for the info guys. So anyone wants to buy my porsche turbo S.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:47 AM

2001 VW Jetta GLX VR6
Originally Posted by NY_SG

Very similar, ML is for sure slower but pulls alot stronger then Porsche turbo S no lag what so ever. Is the turbo S quicker then ML63? Just wondering.

I am leaning towards the ML 63 amg. Sad that it doesn't have paddle shifters though.

I am picking either ML 63 or CLS63. Thanks for the info guys. So anyone wants to buy my porsche turbo S.
I like the CLS63 much better than the E63. The looks just give me chills it has that badboy villian car look and the 4 person seating package is a plus for me. I would take the ML however just becuase I see snow, a lot of it. If I lived somewhere, where there was not snow or I did not need to tow anything I would get the CLS. Either way you will still be motoring!!!
Old 10-29-2006, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML

I'd go with the ML63 because I'm an SUV type of guy cant you tell ...I like the high seating...if you prefer the sports car feel and dont need 5 seats or towing, CLS63 all the way
Old 10-29-2006, 11:02 AM

'08 CL63

Are you aware of the shift buttons behind the steering wheel? Left for down and right for up. And they do more than just upshift or downshift one gear at a time.

As far as which one is quicker the CTTS or ML63...I would say they're very very close with the ML63 a little quicker because of the lower gearing ( with the 7 speed automatic ) , instant throttle/transmission response and about 250lbs. lighter weight.

FWIW: I've owned an ML63 for about 3,200 miles now and absolutely LOVE driving it. Have had no problems at all unlike the 2 CTT's I used to own. It's like driving a sports sedan with SUV utility, really!

Dave
Old 10-29-2006, 02:20 PM

I had a CLS500 with the AMG package that I got rid of after 14 months. I loved the looks but hated the car. Tons of problems, and it just never fit me (emotionally or physically). I have 1700 mile on my ML63 and LOVE it. Best over car/truck yet.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Almost a Member!

I test drove a CLS63 before buying my ML63 also.
I wasnt impressed with the CLS63 at all.

One thing to remember about the ML63 is it is all-wheel drive.
You will be AMAZED at how the ML63 performs on rainy roads.
In fact you can drive the ML63 the same in the rain as you do on dry pavement.

The interior of the ML63 also something that I enjoy. There is plenty of room for everyone in the car.

I have a SL55, and on most days I drive the ML63 over the SL55.
Pretty much the only time I drive the SL55 is when I want to ride with the top down.

I would go with the ML63.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:29 PM

S550
Did you guys manage to get a good price on the ML?

I am leaning very close to the ML63. We shall see in a week or 2.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:37 PM

Most dealers are taking 3 to 4k off sticker.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:28 PM

S550
I test the M5 today. I manage to get around that idiot sales guy, I went with my friend. He drove his F430 and the sales guy was like welcome to bmw how may I assist you.

Hehe that was fun. The M5 got serious power but i hate the transmission it jerks even at automatic piece of ****. the 63 motor much much better.

When I get the ML or E63 I let you guys know. Very very close in getting one already.

I would say in 2-3weeks I will make my decision.

Peace out people! POWER TO AMG!