ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

ORANGE PEEL....paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML63
ORANGE PEEL....paint

This ml63 is my 3rd AMG product......we all know that cars assembled in Germany have the most incredible MIRROR surfaces in the industry...I am a little dissapointed in the base surface of the cars paint.....the clear coat is exceptionally good , however there are parts on the side of the car that appear to have a orange peel texture to them...as minimal as that might be, it is noticeable when comparing to porsches and euro made cars....any one else see that in the finish?????

I know, I know....( Made in America crap)
Old 10-31-2006, 11:46 AM

'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
Mike...that's unacceptable!

My first thoughts were...I haven't noticed anything similar yet, but if I do, I'm demanding it be repainted! You should show it to your dealer and have them repaint it.

I know that's easy to say... but the factors to consider weigh heavily on that kind of action. How long will I be without my car...? Can the repair paint job be done well enough to match the factory original...? Is it enough of a problem to burn time and effort about...?

It all depends on how much it will bother you over time. If you plan to keep the car long term, you may want to address it. If not... you're almost certainly the only person who will ever see or notice it. Ride it out till the next one.

Just my .02
Old 10-31-2006, 01:01 PM

ML63
Originally Posted by EX-BEEMER
Mike...that's unacceptable!

My first thoughts were...I haven't noticed anything similar yet, but if I do, I'm demanding it be repainted! You should show it to your dealer and have them repaint it.

I know that's easy to say... but the factors to consider weigh heavily on that kind of action. How long will I be without my car...? Can the repair paint job be done well enough to match the factory original...? Is it enough of a problem to burn time and effort about...?

It all depends on how much it will bother you over time. If you plan to keep the car long term, you may want to address it. If not... you're almost certainly the only person who will ever see or notice it. Ride it out till the next one.

Just my .02

Its not bad enough to say repaint it, I am just generalizing as a $90,000 car, the paint should be better...The car sits in my garage and I compare the finish to my Range Rover and it pales..the clear coat just magnifies any thing that isnt mirror
Old 10-31-2006, 01:51 PM

SL55, ML500, BMW 530xi
Are you talking about the metallic paint or regular colors?
Old 10-31-2006, 03:24 PM

ML63
Originally Posted by jeanmarc
Are you talking about the metallic paint or regular colors?

I have Obsidian Black.....

Orange peel is what I am calling the pigment surface, when not color sanded before the clear coat, it has a texture, as minute as it may be, that has tiny tiny uniform suface bumps.....basically most american cars have it...it is just a product of poor execution....the hood is fine however the sides have this texture in them...nothing that serious, I just expected better....
Old 10-31-2006, 05:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Something about the US requiring non-oil based paint.....?
Old 11-01-2006, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by MSDLTD
I have Obsidian Black.....

Orange peel is what I am calling the pigment surface, when not color sanded before the clear coat, it has a texture, as minute as it may be, that has tiny tiny uniform suface bumps.....basically most american cars have it...it is just a product of poor execution....the hood is fine however the sides have this texture in them...nothing that serious, I just expected better....
And you're right to expect better. I've hardly ever seen this on a Mercedes or another European car so like others have stated the question is whether or not you want to address it. This would likely never have happend if the thing had been painted in the Germany.

M
Old 11-01-2006, 05:42 PM

Corvette
Noob ? What is orange peel?
Old 11-02-2006, 10:49 PM

2001 VW Jetta GLX VR6
Originally Posted by MSDLTD
This ml63 is my 3rd AMG product......we all know that cars assembled in Germany have the most incredible MIRROR surfaces in the industry...I am a little dissapointed in the base surface of the cars paint.....the clear coat is exceptionally good , however there are parts on the side of the car that appear to have a orange peel texture to them...as minimal as that might be, it is noticeable when comparing to porsches and euro made cars....any one else see that in the finish?????

I know, I know....( Made in America crap)
Did you ever consider that it was damaged at port, repainted, and not disclosed to you? This is possible, and the repaint would explain the orange peel?
Old 11-03-2006, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
it may have been repainted, but this car was never exposed to a "port". It may have been damaged in the marshalling yard (factory parking lot) but it is doubtful. Also painting of the body is completely automated using the latest bell type nozzles, computer controlled paint atomization, etc. Bama I am sure has the same equipment as sindelfingen as they both use the ceramiclear paint which I hear is a pain in the **** to deal with. The painting is most likely done wet on wet, on a conveyor, and allowed a set amount of flash time. If say one side of the car has the issue and the other doesnt on the same panel, then I would say it is resprayed.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:45 PM

2001 VW Jetta GLX VR6
Originally Posted by Kar don
it may have been repainted, but this car was never exposed to a "port". It may have been damaged in the marshalling yard (factory parking lot) but it is doubtful. Also painting of the body is completely automated using the latest bell type nozzles, computer controlled paint atomization, etc. Bama I am sure has the same equipment as sindelfingen as they both use the ceramiclear paint which I hear is a pain in the **** to deal with. The painting is most likely done wet on wet, on a conveyor, and allowed a set amount of flash time. If say one side of the car has the issue and the other doesnt on the same panel, then I would say it is resprayed.
I am unsure of the differences between a 'marshalling yard' and the port. I am under the impression that the cars come from where they were built via the ocean and get dropped off at the port. It is from this point where they get distributed to the local dealers. It is possible that there is damage prior to getting the car to the port. If this were the case the car would be repainted at a bodyshop, most likey not using automated machines. Also, it could have been damaged in transport, say when it was unloaded at the dealership, and it would also have to be fixed at a local bodyshop. Just some ideas, either way you should have it addressed.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by TeutonicCarFan
I am unsure of the differences between a 'marshalling yard' and the port. I am under the impression that the cars come from where they were built via the ocean and get dropped off at the port. It is from this point where they get distributed to the local dealers. It is possible that there is damage prior to getting the car to the port. If this were the case the car would be repainted at a bodyshop, most likey not using automated machines. Also, it could have been damaged in transport, say when it was unloaded at the dealership, and it would also have to be fixed at a local bodyshop. Just some ideas, either way you should have it addressed.
The ML is made in Vance, Alabama.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:17 PM

2001 VW Jetta GLX VR6
Originally Posted by AsianML
The ML is made in Vance, Alabama.
That explains it, I knew something wasn't panning out.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:30 PM

wife's car2014 ml350
get it color sanded but make sure you have it polished 2 or 3 after
Old 11-14-2006, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
color sanded? you are joking i hope.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Kar don
color sanded? you are joking i hope.

no hes not joking ... thats what they do all the cars are color sanded .. if you know anything about paint you would know thats how they get the mirror finish
Old 11-28-2006, 05:14 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 ML63 ///AMG
My silver ML63 also has some orange peel... sad to say it. but no real big deal to me.
the stuff that drives me nuts is rattling etc... which the car is pretty good with.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:23 PM

SL500 /Porsche 997S/Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by Dj Euro
no hes not joking ... thats what they do all the cars are color sanded .. if you know anything about paint you would know thats how they get the mirror finish

Repaints may be color sanded, but I don't think most factory finishes require/get color sanding.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Damn, I better go check with mine when it's at the dealership in 2 weeks.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by Dj Euro

Sure DJ euro, Factory finishes do not get "color sanded" they only have spot repairs as needed. Maybe your body shop does colorsanding because they have poor painting processes in place. You obviously know very little about the topic, maybe you should stick to DJing.

Originally Posted by PhilS
Repaints may be color sanded, but I don't think most factory finishes require/get color sanding.
That is correct, new spray guns are so much more advanced (electrostatic) that this isn't required... depending on the manufacturer of course. Only sanding is probably for spot repairs on the E-coat and primer. Or on the final finish.