ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Advice on ML63 or X6 M any ML63 owners have any input?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK Black series
Advice on ML63 or X6 M any ML63 owners have any input?

Hi, I am about to get an ML63 amg. I have been deiciding on the ML or X6. I am leaning towards the ML63.

So any guys out there has an ML63 an could give me an evaluation on the car?

Also do you think they are going to facelift or change the body soon again? Because they just had a facelift on 2009 I am getting 2010 I don't want to get it and the new body is coming out.

Thanks very appreciated with all the inputs and opinions to come!!!
Old 10-23-2009, 08:55 PM

'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
ML is better looking, sharper interior, command II is a big improvement over earlier ML's and miles ahead of iDrive, and the vehicle has more low end grunt.

ML63 all the way...
Old 11-05-2009, 07:03 PM

07 ML63 Silver Dead at 85k, 14 RS5, 05 SL600
X6 is impossible to see out of and looks too odd to me. It may handle better on a track but how often do you go to the track? It is well made and nice ride so if the styling really works for you then what the heck. The ML63 is almost as quick on a technical track as an M5. I personally don't need to be able to take a corner at 90.1 mph. The 90.0 mph the ML can do is quite enough! I did test drive the X6 and I wouln't consider a trade of the ML for it.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Ml63, Cayenne Turbo S and X5M are all great vehicles. I was at the dealer today as my M3 was in for service and I was looking at the X5M . It has latest tech of the three and new HD navi is superb.

X6M was there too but it's ugly and lacking in room.

For me of the three I'd personally rate them in the following order taking styling, power, braking handling and interior into account:

X5M>ML63>TTS>X6M

-Rob
Old 11-15-2009, 12:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2020 GT 63s, 2020 G63, 2018 GTR, 2020 Ferrari Pista Spider, Ferrari 2018 812 SF, Ferrari 2019 Lusso
Originally Posted by transferred
Ml63, Cayenne Turbo S and X5M are all great vehicles. I was at the dealer today as my M3 was in for service and I was looking at the X5M . It has latest tech of the three and new HD navi is superb.

X6M was there too but it's ugly and lacking in room.

For me of the three I'd personally rate them in the following order taking styling, power, braking handling and interior into account:

X5M>ML63>TTS>X6M

-Rob
Excellent and honest post!! I test drove my friends X5 M the other day. Now I love my ML 63 but the X5 M is dynamically superior to the Benz. I am sure the Mercedes will come back with a good response to the X5 M, but right now the BMW has the upper hand. That's just progress...thank goodness for that.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
x5m is a trick piece....direct injected engine. special twin scroll turbos (patented design i think), reverse flow engine exhaust mani is in the middle of the V. intake mani allows optimise routing of the runners for proper scavenging. the exhast note mimics a flat plane V8 like ferrari or lotus. trick rear diff.

more i read about the x5m more i admire what bmw has done. it's the kind of suv i can haul my m3 to the track with and if it breaks i can detach the trailer and run laps! supposedly the x5m is faster than an e90 m3 around a circuit....

the x5m has over 500 ft lbs of torque from 1500 rpm which easily bests the ml63.

also...there's tuning potential in the 4.4 bmw motor...i heard the next m5 will use this motor and produce >600hp.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1961 Mercedes-Benz 190SL and 2016 BMW X5M
My thoughts....

yoyo1985: For what it is worth, I have a 2007 ML63 that I really do love, except for the thirstyness of the powerful engine resulting in the awfull gas mileage I get, (18 mpg max on the highway), which I was fully aware of going into it. Like you, I am currently weighing my options as well since my 3-year lease on the ML63 expires in 3/10. At this point, I am going to see what sort of deal M-B Financial will give me to extend my lease for 1 year, until 3/11. If it is an acceptable deal I will keep it until that time. This approach will give me a lower monthly payment for a vehicle that I really like that is in top-notch condition and will buy me time to benefit from the following for when I am ready for my next vehicle:

Option 1: I am seriously considering goingt the BMW X5 M route. I believe most initial model year bugs will be identified and hopefully addressed by BMW and fixed for the 2011 model year vehicles. After having seen, sat in and checked out the new X5 M at my local BMW Dealer recently, I am very impressed. On paper, and reading the test drive reviews performed and published so far, it appears that the X5 M is several notches above the ML63 in technology features and performance as well. I really do like the styling even if the front air intakes appear to me to be larger than necssary. Checking out the X6 M next to it, confirmed my concerns on too little storage space for my needs and horrible rear visibility, two issues that negate it from serious consideration for me.

Option 2: If I go the BMW X5 4.8i route w/ M package and fully loaded, the 2011 model will have the new iDrive system and exterior facelift incorporated.

Option 3: If gasoline prices really do jump, as some forecast and which I believe is envitable, then my silly grin-inducing days of aggressive acceleration and spirited driving enjoyed in all of my previous performance oriented vehicles may have to be reconsidered. If I start acting my age and let rational sanity take over then I should really consider the following desiel or hybrid models, such as:

a. 2011 BMW X5d w/ M package and 20" wheels
b. 2011 ML350 BlueTEC
c. 2011 ML400 HYBRID

Not an Option: You may be wondering why I have not listed a 2011 ML63 AMG for consideration. As I have previously posted on this forum, I do not really like the exterior design tweaks that M-B did on the ML63 for 2009/2010 so it is essentially an aesthetic issue. I am not aware of any significant changes yet antiicpated for the 2011 model. If there are some then I could certainly change my mind on this. Also, I do not like the fact that M-B does not offer free maintenance during the first 5-years/50,000 miles the way BMW does. And finally, BMW does not charge an annual fee for their ASSIST, whereas M-B does charge a $260 annual fee for their TELE-AID version.

Not an Option: Regarding the Porsche Cayenne: IMO, Porsche is improving the Cayenne's exterior design with each tweaking but it still does not appeal to me. Also, the Cayenne is the worst value of any of the high-end SUV's. Friends who have them also say that the Dealers service in the NYC/NJ region leaves much to be desired and they charge an arm and a leg for any and everything.

Not an Option: Finally, some of you may ask why not consider purchasing the ML63 at the end of the lease. That is certainly a possible option. The main concern I have is that it is a big gamble to buy any AMG vehicle that is approaching 50,000 miles and the end of the Mfgr's warranty. The cost of repairing and/or replacing anything on these vehicles is prohibitively expensive. One ML63 owner had his engine seize up and had it replaced under warranty. The M-B Dealer told him that if the vehicle was not under waranty the material and labor cost to the customer would have been over $60,000 to replace the engine. Getting an extended warranty from a third party or a M-B CPO warranty on a used AMG is very expensive proposition, but is a possibility. Most M-B Dealers who get these cars back from leasing customers just take them to auction to get the most $$ they can and not have to deal with the inevitable mechanical/electrical issues that will ultimately arrive with the next owner.

My 2 cents...

AVB-AMG
Old 11-24-2009, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 246 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Question

Originally Posted by EX-BEEMER
, and the vehicle has more low end grunt.
What's the basis for that statement?
Test drive of both back to back?
X5M has more torque and at lower rpm.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:58 AM

CLK Black series
Well i ended up with something so funny and doesnt make any sense.

I actually took a lease off a friend of mine and i ended up with a denali. Funny how i got that car and my brother took it away from me. So in the end I still dont have an SUV. Then I decided i just go get an SL so left and right up and down argued with my brother at the very end I said F*** it and I bought myself an SL63 IWC. I will post pictures of it soon.

But i do have a friend that just purchased an ML63 amg 2010. SO IT BE AWESOME!.

Now i am still without a damn SUV. And I do need a damn suv. So i am back to square 1. Got the denali big bro took it off me, bought a car that is totally opposite what i was looking for and now i am again in the market for an suv....... Lame right..

Will post both cars on here very soon!!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 05:29 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Boring. Yeah the world needs another boxy SUV. Buy the X6M.