63amg Owners Beware!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 ML63amg
63amg Owners Beware!

63amg owners beware!

Hi this I my first post here on the forums however been doing a lot of reading. So my story goes like this... I purchased a 2008 ml63 AMG in the fall of 2012 with 55k kms approx. 30 miles! The maintenance stamps inthe service book seemed all up to date and all service had been done at the MB dealership where it was purchased. I contacted the dealer to verify the maintenance records and was told customers are not privy to this info! The vehicle was on aused car lot not a MB dealer! Considering the records appeared up to date and the dealer was offering a full warranty covering everything up to 200,000 kms not to mention a good price on my trade in… I went for it! My wife had over 240k on her ml500 without any major issues I felt somewhat comfortable purchasing a top on the line Mercedes product! I live in Ottawa Canada with bad winters and since was my second vehicle I immediately put the 63 in heated storage for the winter. Spring of 2013 rolls around and first thing I do is bring the vehicle to the dealer that I had been dealing with for my wife's 500 I have always received excellent service from my dealer! I informed the dealer of the conditions under which the vehicle was purchased. Knowing full well that this is a high performance engine I requested an oil change regardless of whether it needed it or not! I also requested that the vehicle be inspect top to bottom to make sure there were no issues before I started to drive it! My dealer was able to verify that the 63 was in good working order but will be due soon for new spark plugs and a transmission fluid change!

I requested that the work get done immediately as I did not want to take any chances with such a high end vehicle! So everything got done ahead of schedule and I was happily driving my new to me shiny ml63 amg! I had no issues driving around most of the summer only getting service done at my dealer and being a real sticker for only using premium ethanol free fuels! This was essentially my 40th midlife crisis gift to myself, and treated it like my child!

Considering I had purchased the top of the line premium model I had high expectations of this $100K+ new vehicle! The ML63 amg performed excellent and had a level of refinement I expected from a vehicle of this calibre.

October comes around with no issues and the vehicle still performing excellent. While driving on the highway 200kms from home, the engine feels like perhaps experiencing a misfire quickly followed by a quick flash of the check engine lite! Then quickly followed by a complete loss of power! I looked in my rear view mirror in order to pull over and to my horror the entire highway behind me was filled with a huge cloud of smoke! The smoke was so thick that the other vehicles behind me had slowed to a crawl and had there 4 ways on! One person pulled over to help because he thought my vehicle was on fire! All of this took place in less than 10-15 seconds by the time I got pulled over. Absolutely no warning what so ever and I was 200kms from home! Thank God for CAA! I called and a flatbed was there in no time at all! I was very adamant about my vehicle being brought tomy dealer 200kms away and was willing to pay extra if need be! The next day I'm told by my dealer that there was some serious engine issues and they needed to spend more time in order to find out just how bad the damage really was. I told them to go ahead.

I get a call back from the dealer saying there has been a complete engine failure! I asked how this can happen to a vehicle of this caliber with such low mileage. I was told they had never seen anything like it! Every technician in the entire dealership huddled around my vehicle scratching their heads all saying the same thing!! "Never seen anything like that before" The conclusion was that a piece of a valve broke off and fell into the engine and caused the engine failure! Everyone atthe dealership was very sympathetic and said that they were willing to do whatever they could to help! Even going as far as attempting to locate a used engine with no luck! The only option was to have the engine removed and sent tothe MB engine rebuild facility in Toronto Ontario Canada about 500kms away to see if it could be rebuilt. I agreed and the engine was pulled and shipped! Also an agent from the 3rd party warranty company had come down to the dealership to investigate and theyare willing to cover up to $5000! Sounded so good coming from the salesman’s mouth “You got the People’s Choice platinum package! Your covered for everything up to 200k time unlimited!” Dam that fine print crap… I also started doing some reading in these forums and realized that I'm not the only one out there that's had this problem! Reading many comments like "I’ve been aMercedes Benz as long as I can remember and I wouldn't that engine with a tenfoot pole" and " it's clearly a defective engine and MB is refusing to admit it" really didn't sit well with me! The more research I did Ifound that most cases ended with MB coming good for the cost of the repair however seems not without a fight...not to mention refusing to admit that they could have possibly produced a defective $80 thousand dollar engine! Most multiple paged threads ended with MB coming good and either repairing or replacing the engines free of charge! I really had hope that MB would do the same for me!

I had found a MB customer service number and called expressing my concerns over the defective engine and the possible high cost to get it repaired. I was told that they would look into it and get back to me.

The verdict - Cost of the rebuild over $39,000 plus taxes (13% in Ontario) which pretty much exceeds the value of the vehicle! I felt sick to my stomach! I was then told that Mercedes HQ was willing to pay 50% Now I know 50% is a lot! However that still leaves me on the hook for a $20,000+ bill minus the $5000 from the 3rd party warrantycompany. So basically a $15000 bill!

All I really remember from that conversation after hearing about the $15,000 + taxes was thinking to myself "I'm screwed" I think I was in shock! The only thought in my head was I'm screwed! can't even remember how the conversation ended...I think it was next day and I guess I was still in denial about the whole thing and the dealer called again and said after the dealers participation my portion of the bill would be approx.$12000 + taxes! I thought wow the dealer was actually willing to help that much and I didn't even buy it from them! I really can't say enough about Star motors of Ottawa! What a great dealer! However 12 grand plus taxes is still a lot of money for a repair!

For the last few months I've been trying to save money for the repair and also looked into aloan but getting a loan for 12 grand for a 5-6 year old vehicle that you still owe money on is a tall order! I get acall from the dealer today saying that the issue is becoming time sensitive MB HQ wants an answer asap I have not been able to get a loan and have not been able to save enough yet for the rebuild!! So what I'm I suppose to do? I still have 2 year's worth of payments owing plus a $12000+tax bill !!! Not to mention MB HQ wants an answer by the end of the month...

So it seems this is what Mercedes means by “they will deal with the issue on a per situation basis”

Not everyone is getting free replacement engines!

I know this is my first post and no one knows me from a hole in the ground but I could really use any help I can get at this point
Thanks

Last edited by 08ML63guy; 02-19-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
'21 GLC63, '19 M5
Well I don't know man... but it sounds like you don't really have many options. I mean you already involved MB HQ, your dealer, and the warranty co... and did get some participation from them so what other choice do you really have? In all honesty, people out of warranty with AMG or large body MBs sometimes do pay that much for repairs. It sucks, but that's the risk you have buying these expensive cars out of warranty. Just so you know, in one year the repairs to my S600 ran my warranty over $30K. Some MB cars are just ridiculous to repair.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E55
Wow this is a nightmare, sorry to here what you're going thru. But you definitely have exhausted all option an that bill came down substantially. You definitely CAn find use engine on the web,can't remember where I saw it but I'll keep you updated. Only problem is I don't think mb will install a used engine in your car, might have to take the car to a local Indy. But either way it's an expense.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:05 PM

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts
s550
damn...i feel for you. even 12k +tax is ridiculous as you will probably never see it back.i would take it to an auction and sell it as is. call it a day and accept my loss before putting an additional 12k+tax in the car.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63 P30
Sorry for your loss! That is a nightmare... Super unlucky.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
'21 GLC63, '19 M5
Selling it with a blown engine would be more of a hit than getting a proper rebuilt engine installed for 12K. IMHO

Sometimes it is worth to fix things, even if the end game is to sell it.

Originally Posted by just1time
damn...i feel for you. even 12k +tax is ridiculous as you will probably never see it back.i would take it to an auction and sell it as is. call it a day and accept my loss before putting an additional 12k+tax in the car.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:39 AM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
Sometimes cars that are low mileage can be a curse. Also the most reliable ones are usually the cars that have been run hard but well maintained. I drive the living hell out of mine and it is bulletproof reliable as far as drivetrain goes. Never and issue and it is tuned too.

Only thing that has really caused me grief are the air matic shocks and minor suspension bushings... Other then that drives like a top.

Perhaps a used engine might be a really good cheap alternative if you just want to dump it and sell it quickly
Old 02-20-2014, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
Statistically, this is actually a great engine. One issue of this type (have not ever heard of a broken valve before on the 6.3) does not an engine condemn.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:39 PM

2008 ML63amg
I get the whole “you have to pay to play” concept. I wasfully prepared for $300 oil changes $2500 brake jobs and the odd ridiculouslypriced ball joint or steering component! I was even prepared for expensivesuspension compressor’s that go along with owning a $100,000+ vehicle! I was not prepared for full enginefailures! As a general rule of thumb forme is a major drivetrain failure signifies the end of the lifespan for thevehicle! I know there are a lot of people out there that feel the same way! Surlyit was not Mercedes intention to build $100,000 vehicles that have a lifespanof 5 years or 50k miles! I can almost guaranteethat Mercedes does NOT want a reputation for building vehicles with such ashort lifespan regardless of price! Mercedes is clearly making a big push tocapture a larger piece of the lower priced vehicle market where buyers arelooking for maximum value and reliability for their money! Let’s face it no oneis perfect not even the Mercedes engineers! We are all human and makemistakes!

What reallyshows what your made of… is how you handle the mistakes!

So I guess my point here is that that there are thousands ofthese engines out there and considering the calibre of the vehicle in whichtheses engines where used, I suspect a lot of them are garage Queens with verylow kms. Some purchased by the very wealthyand some purchased by people who saved for a very long time to buy their dreamvehicle! Eventually these vehicles willbe sold to innocent buyers thinking they are buying quality only to find outthat they spent a lot of money for a vehicle that’s basically at the end of itslifespan! That’s a tough pill to swallow regardless of income! Eventually somebodydown the line is going to get screwed! Evena wealthy person realising that there $100,000+ vehicle as reached the end ofits lifespan after 5 years or 50k would seriously make me consider looking atother brands!

I understand Mercedes point of view to a certain extent in theirdefence in that there are plenty of these engines out there that have had noissues! I suspect most of these arebeing very closely monitored by dealers catering to the original owners whoactually paid $100,000+ or are garage queens…. After speaking with my dealer they said that they are aware of some valvetrain issues with this engine and very closely monitors all 63amg engines underthere care including mine! They also said this is the first one they hadpersonally seen that failed! I understand Mercedes reasoning in wanting to dealwith these situations on a per situation basis and not issuing a full recall! Theyare very expensive engines!! Mercedes Benz is a very large wealthy company withlots of high paid lawyers that probably advised that it is easier and cheaperto do it this way… There are at least 4 people out there that I know of... thathave been named on lawsuits against MB for basically that same issue! Againthose kick a$$ high paid lawyers…

I suspect as the garage queens get sold off there will belots of people out there that are going to get taken for a ride! Literally! Atthe very least I feel Mercedes should have implemented some sort of close watchprogram and perhaps requested that all affected vehicles be brought into thedealership every 5000kms for oil changes and full valve train inspectionslooking for signs of premature ware! Instead of the regular 15,000km maintenanceschedule! Fact: Mercedes is well awarethere is an issue within the valve train of this engine! Other than defend themselves legally in court,they did absolutely nothing as far as an attempt at preventative measures tohelp the owners of these engines!

That’s just wrong inmy opinion!

Can you imagine If even a lower end company sold brand new$10,000 vehicles with a lifespan of only 5 years or 50,000kms! They would beout of business in no time at all! Its not acceptable for a $10,000 vehicle sowhy would it be acceptable for a $100,000+ vehicle???
I'm finding little comfort in knowing that I got run over by a $100,000 Mercedes and not a $1000 beater car lol

Last edited by 08ML63guy; 02-20-2014 at 02:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
enk007 (01-19-2017)
Old 02-20-2014, 10:45 PM

2014 MB ML63 AMG
Maybe I'm missing something here but Mb sounds like they are doing more their part on a vehicle that's 6 years old and way out of warranty. Sorry this has happened to you but you will def have to come out of pocket and move on with your rebuilt motor. GL
Old 02-21-2014, 06:36 AM

2008 ML63amg
Nobody in there right mind would go forward with a repair that was equal or greater than the value of the vehicle! MB must clearly see this and is probably doing what there lawyers are recommending! I know for a fact that if they had not offered the 50% I without a doubt would have gone strait to a lawyer! I suspect there would be a lot more lawsuits out there! All us regular working people have against a big powerful company like that is to harness the power of the internet! I'm eventually going to have to pay because I cant afford to walk away!! This will guarantee that I never buy a MB product ever again! and will make every attempt I can to tell my story and warn the general public!
Old 02-21-2014, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Sorry to hear your story. Give Weistec Engineering a call, they can probably rebuild it better and stronger than stock for less than $12,000 if your heads did not get damaged and your block/cylinders did not get too badly scored.

I think they sell their Forged pistons for $6000, plus another coupe grand in head studs, gaskets, misc. parts etc. Built engine package is $2500(labor). If your stock heads are still in good shape that is all you would need, but I suppose a broken valve could mean a damaged head. I think if you talked to them under the circumstances they might have a little room to work with you off some of their advertised web site prices but don't hold me to that. Since you are paying this out of pocket I would go this route because you will end up with an engine that is twice as strong as your stock motor was with a lot more power to boot. Give them a call and talk with them about your exact diagnosis and they can let you know if they can save you a couple bucks or at least offer you a better end product for the same out of pocket expense and the dealer is quoting. It's worth a try, can't hurt.

Good Luck, I posted a link below for you to the Weistec site.

http://www.weistec.com/m156builtengine.html

Last edited by jrcart; 02-21-2014 at 11:06 AM.
betrezra (08-28-2016)
Old 02-21-2014, 03:47 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
Weistec
Please email us sales@weistec.com and let us help you. We have seen this problem with these engines and it typically either because the engine was ran at very high temps for a sustained period of time, or the oil was not changed in regular internals.

We have many engines here and we can also rebuild your engine if that is what might be the cheapest/best route. Send us an email and we can definitely assist. Thank you.

Weistec Engineering
betrezra (08-28-2016)
Old 02-21-2014, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
Originally Posted by Weistec
Please email us sales@weistec.com and let us help you. We have seen this problem with these engines and it typically either because the engine was ran at very high temps for a sustained period of time, or the oil was not changed in regular internals.

We have many engines here and we can also rebuild your engine if that is what might be the cheapest/best route. Send us an email and we can definitely assist. Thank you.

Weistec Engineering
Nice work Weistec! You'd be the way I would go
Old 02-21-2014, 09:10 PM

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
08 E63 AMG P30, 2013 S550, 09 E63, 14 E63 S Wagon, 14 E350 Wagon(current), 13 C63 P31 (current)
Originally Posted by Maverick1975

Nice work Weistec! You'd be the way I would go
+1, best of luck man. Something to keep in mind.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
If my ml63 has a catastrophic breakdown out of warranty I'll be upgrading it at a good performance shop like Klee or weistec.

Ad some headers and tune to ease the pain )
Old 08-17-2016, 02:27 AM

CLK 55 ///AMG Cabrio, ML63 ///AMG
So, any update on your vehicle? Thanks.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
If i was keeping the ml i would go wiestec rebuild.

Another possible lower cost option is a used 6.2 liter motor.
You will need to do your homework on this route and warranty is gone.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:49 PM

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 E 300 Coupe and 2019 GLS 400
Any updates after 2 years?
I'm looking at two 2010 ML63 with 50,000 & 52,000 kms. Both are GCC spec.
Reading about the M156 horrors , It's really scary . Valves, camshafts, headbolts....
I don't know If i should continue or move along.

Thank you.