ML63 AMG (W166) 2011 -2015 (Replaced by GLE63)

Towing with the ML63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
Towing with the ML63

Gonna start a thread hopefully we can build on

We have the 2012 ML63 with the P30 package and factory tow package.

So far have not done much towing, but plan too.

We are towing a 24ft deck boat, weighs under 5000lbs loaded with water/fuel and gear, closer to 6500 with trailer.

We are in Florida...

Pulled the boat out of the water this weekend and no traction issues even with pirelli pzero rubber... got to love awd...

According to my wife the ML had no struggles, and it didn't appear to have any problem from my vantage point in the boat either when she pulled us out of the water and up the ramp....

Did a short run to my house to clean up everything at about 40mph, no waggling or swaying.... will see what happens when we get it up on the highway....

The trailer is perfectly level as verified with a level on the trailer frame

Got lucky here, we just flipped the factory ball mount over and it put the ball high enough to match the trailer level.

Spent $22 on a 1foot trailer wire dongle to convert from 4 pin to the MB 7 pin round connector.

I saw the ML drop about an inch when we attached the trailer, by the time i got to the house it seems to have leveled out ? air suspension self leveling ?

So far so good....

Will update when do more trailering

Did notice one thing.... trailer has leds and some of them light up and flash when the ML is off.

This normal ?

Mike
Old 06-26-2017, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

UPDATE:

While towing at about 45mph i noticed a little tugging.... at 60mph no waggling/tugging, so far so good.... still not been on the highway yet...

Some jerk wouldn't let me switch lanes today, had the blinker on for at least a half mile... the ML still has plenty of power to get ahead of somebody if needed...

No issues backing it up into the water...

Used the parking brake today, hit the button and I get a notice in the left gauge cluster in red "PARKING". Still put it in Park of course, but it was nice that the ML didn't move when the PARKING brake was engaged, that will help when your trying to line up the hitch and the wife say's that's good and you put in park and it still moves an inch

So the air suspension seems to be disabled when the car is off.... When we got home today, I spent a few hours cleaning the boat and the ML, disconnected the trailer and cranked the jack down which raised the front of the trailer up as far as it would go, trying to get the water to drain out of the back of boat while i washed it...

When I was done and cranked the jack back up the ML height had dropped... hhhmmm, started it up and saw it raise in the rear about 2inches or so.... well there ya go..

Ah 1 other thing, if you have the factory hitch with the attached MB emblem cap cover, beware the cap cover is not permanently attached to the rubber hinge... I found the cap in the dirt today!! so glad no one ran it over in the boat launch...

Happy Towing!

Mike

Last edited by mrmotoguzzi00; 06-26-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the tips. I plan to use mine to pull a car trailer and my off road toys.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430
Tongue weight concern

Great post,

I have a 2014 ML 63 with Performance Package, and a 21ft Sea Ray that advertised without trailer weights about 3700lbs I am thinking with the trailer and loaded probably about 5200.

My concern was that the sticker on the back of the ML towing shows for ML towing 7200lbs and Tongue Weight at 576, BUT the manual in the car says that is for standard ML the 63 AMG TONGUE Weight is 309lbs.

So now I am concerned if it will be able to handle it on the tongue.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

does it have the factory tow package ?

my hurricane is listed at under 5k loaded with fuel/water etc...

Is your trailer level ?

Is it dual axle ?

This is the boat with trailer.... will have to get a pic the next time its attached
Attached Thumbnails Towing with the ML63-img_2222.jpg  
Old 06-29-2017, 03:49 PM

CLK430
Attached

I attached the picture of the boat, its a dual axel and also the specs for it.

I haven't checked if it is leveled but will do that part. Also I got the car used so not sure if its stock or not, but I imagine if it has the sticker I attached on it it is. As it references the ML and GL.
Attached Thumbnails Towing with the ML63-capture.png   Towing with the ML63-img_1953.jpg   Towing with the ML63-img_1956.jpg  
Old 06-29-2017, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

if anything the hitch is a little high, thats better than too low did it have the factory ball and hitch with it ? I found mine in the spare tire well, still new condition.

Have you towed with it yet ?

How fast and how did it go ?
Old 06-29-2017, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

that mount and the connector look the same, here are some more pics for others as well, if you have a better pic of the label that would be nice to have for future reference
Attached Thumbnails Towing with the ML63-img_2255.jpg   Towing with the ML63-img_2254.jpg   Towing with the ML63-img_2253.jpg   Towing with the ML63-img_2252.jpg  
Old 06-29-2017, 04:26 PM

CLK430
Thanks

The boat was already hooked up to a truck at the time and it looks a bit higher than it is. Good to know for the hitch I did not check the tire compartment yet.

I just got the car two days ago, so have not towed yet hopefully within next week or two I will.

The connector looks the same except the Part number which i suppose it is just the fact its two years newer.

I will let you know how it goes.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:22 PM

CLK430
Beast mode!

Finally did a first tow with the beast!

Few things I can say, the ML63 is about 14 in clearance for the tow hook, the boat is about 20 so I had to find an riser that can rise it 6 inches. After I got that things were easy.

Hooked it up, and the rear clearance was just little bit lower that without boat hooked up, the LEDs on the trailer were recognized with the connector I got from a trailer supply store. The boat itself is between 3600lbs to 4040 lbs not really sure of the really weight as few threads are showing different information plus the trailer. I am estimating somewhere around 5000lbs with fuel give or take.

Towing was for about 300 miles return trip a lot if not more than 60-70% of the trip was up over mountains and the car handled it like a champ. At some points I was gong about 85-90 miles an hour, you could sometimes feel waving in the back but nothing I was nervous about.

And on top of everything you had the luxury while towing and the speed , you put it in the sport and it still picks up quickly, (only did it to try it out).

Only not really down fall is the gas mileage, as it is a 24 gallon tank, i had to fill it once in order to to make it to my destination as it gets about 10 m/gal.

I didn't take any pics of the boat hooked up will do next time!
Attached Thumbnails Towing with the ML63-img_1979.jpg  
Old 07-11-2017, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good info and 10mpg up hills and zipping down the highway ain't bad, neighbor is Using her f150 ecoboost at 7mpg, she is eyeing the ml lol