ML63 AMG (W166) 2011 -2015 (Replaced by GLE63)

Thinking about a 13' ML63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2023, 08:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
16' GLE63S AMG
Originally Posted by jcarsnz
Sounds promising, the transmission service and turbo coolant line replacements are good ones to have completed.

Sorry not sure how the PPI process works in the United States, in my country this would definitely be the responsibility of the buyer to organize and pay for prior to signing a purchase contract.

The brake, transfer case and differential fluids are not expensive to replace and neither are the CPS's.

If you do end up going ahead with the purchase you'd want to consider replacing the CPS's as preventative maintenance. This is a good write up of what could occur if these (and possibly the cam magnets) are not monitored for internal oil leakage:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...ispreloading=1

I noticed this ML63 has red painted brake calipers, I haven't seen this before on a non-PP vehicle, have to assume they were painted or upgraded after it left the factory:

VIN 4JGDA7EB8DA119461
B06 BRAKE CALIPERS PAINTED SILVER

Something else, there are a number of exterior trim panels at the front and rear which were chrome/silver colored from the factory, but are now painted black - just an observation, looks good to me!
Yes I was glad to hear the transmission and the coolant lines were already replaced along with the timing chain.

As for the PPI, the tech when i called them, said they did a multi line inspection on the car but I'm not sure if that's the same or even consists of the same points an actual PPI would cover.

I would assume those fluid changes are pretty standard like other cars/trucks when changing them? Just use the correct fluids and should be pretty simple or in other words, a local shop could do this VS the dealer? Now when you say the CPS's aren't expensive to replace, you're talking about the Cam Position Sensors right? Don't those require the front of the motor to be removed? The check valves would also be done at the same time correct? I was quoted like $3,200 for that job on my ML350 a few years ago.

Yeah I noticed on the build order the calipers were silver but they are now red. I was guessing either the previous owner may have painted them OR he ordered them red without the PP package? It has a standard plastic engine cover so I know it's not the PP and it also has the wood steering wheel (which I'm not a fan of and would like to switch it for the flat bottom one). And yes it seems that all the chrome has been deleted from this one...one less thing for me to do lol.
Old 06-24-2023, 02:43 AM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 ML63
Do you mean a multi-point inspection? Can you get a copy of the report? The dealership multi-point inspections I've seen cover all the basic operations and confirm the correct condition of the vehicle - it's like a checklist to show prospective/new buyers they have done due diligence before handing over the keys. So better than nothing, but I would prefer an independent PPI if it was me buying a 10 year old AMG.

Yes, a local shop can change the fluids, it's a simple job.

Yes CPS's (Cam Position Sensors) are little sensors that sit on top of the valve covers - if you can change a light bulb you'll have no problems doing this yourself, plenty of videos online, this is a good one:

I also noticed the non-flat bottomed steering wheel, looks like it was optioned from the factory:

289 LEATHER STEERING WHEEL WITH TRIM INSERT

Old 06-24-2023, 02:12 PM

16' GLE63S AMG
Ok guys so here's an update on the ML. It's going to be a pass for me lol. Visually it wasn't bad but it had some issues that I wasn't ready to undergo. I'll start at the front and work my way back.
- front bumper was popping out at the passenger side headlight.
- running light was loose
- passenger wheel well cover was missing, exposing headlight wires.
- hood vents were broke and glued in lol
- oil residue was visible on passenger side wastegate. Maybe something was leaking at some point?
- almost all wood pieces inside were cracked
- center console and dash was worn pretty good. All the A/C vents werent working either (directional parts)
- very loud rattle when hitting bumps coming from pano area. Sounded like a loose bolt or something?
- volume knob for radio didn't work
- buttons on steering wheel were bubbling
- all the chrome pieces that were painted black were starting to bubble
- calipers were painted red but AMG logos were installed backwards 😂

With all that, im going to pass and keep looking. Also I wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who commented and helped me here. You all are awesome.
Old 06-24-2023, 02:14 PM

16' GLE63S AMG
Oh I wanted to ask, what would be everyone's thoughts or views on a 2016 GLE 63s? It's the same M157 but this one has 54k miles. Anything more concerning I should look at with this one?
I can supply the VIN for this one too if needed? Im thinking about going to look at this one today.
The following users liked this post:
C43 Fun Haver (07-10-2023)
Old 07-10-2023, 07:11 AM

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts
2015 ML63
The 23 year old myself says do it haha

not sure if you're still looking at it but yeah supply the vin and I can take a look later on this morning.
Old 07-13-2023, 04:09 AM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 ML63
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle63s-gl...le63s-amg.html

Love the exterior improvements of the GLE over the ML, especially the front end, but do not like the newer dashboard and steering wheel. Also prefer the factory ML63 wheels.
Old 07-13-2023, 06:18 AM

16' GLE63S AMG
Originally Posted by C43 Fun Haver
The 23 year old myself says do it haha

not sure if you're still looking at it but yeah supply the vin and I can take a look later on this morning.
So i ended up getting the 2016 GLE63S after checking it out and looking at the CarFax on it. It was technically a CPO since it was serviced at the local dealer for pretty much everything. It has 56k miles so that's a huge plus over the other one I was looking at. I recently took it to my local MB dealer to get the recall issue fixed and they did a multi point inspection for me and said the car has been very well maintained. Rear brakes are in the caution zone and should be checked in 6000 miles but other than that she was clean.

Originally Posted by jcarsnz
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle63s-gl...le63s-amg.html

Love the exterior improvements of the GLE over the ML, especially the front end, but do not like the newer dashboard and steering wheel. Also prefer the factory ML63 wheels.
Yeah I agree with you. I like the ML wheels better but the whole 21" part stinks either way. I want to move to some 22"s at some point just because tires are way cheaper for 22"s vs 21"s.
The following users liked this post:
C43 Fun Haver (07-13-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 01:48 PM

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts
2015 ML63
That's awesome man!! Congrats on the purchase now let's see some pics! 56k miles is great. Yeah I just did a roundhouse of brakes and 2 rear tires last week. Safe Rippin out there homie