New 3D Rotary tweeters for non-3D W222

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 10:31 AM

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 S550
New 3D Rotary tweeters for non-3D W222

I just purchased 3D rotary tweeters

for my non-3D w222. The link is below. I will post a review when I receive the speakers and install them. So far communication with the seller has been very good.

http://www.dhgate.com/product/2pcs-n...397207964.html

EDIT: I am very pleased with this order. If anyone wants to purchase one let me know. They can offer a special price and you can use Paypal instead of providing credit card information through DHGate. He is also attempting to sell it off of Amazon.com (at my suggestion) since he has a sellers account.

Final install pictures:

Last edited by Matthayes3741; 06-19-2017 at 08:29 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Matthayes3741:
kamelot (06-19-2017), ki4low23 (05-05-2022), modulus (08-02-2017), UrBusted (06-24-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 11:20 AM

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by Matthayes3741
I just purchased 3D rotary tweeters for my non-3D w222. The link is below. I will post a review when I receive the speakers and install them. So far communication with the seller has been very good.

http://www.dhgate.com/product/2pcs-n...397207964.html
Are there matching cross overs? Equalizer? Specific amplifiers? You do realize the 3D option comes with many more speakers, more amps, is tuned differently, etc.

The sound quality may not be very good if you add in these tweeters, but it will look cool....
Old 06-10-2017, 11:25 AM

2014 S550
Originally Posted by Socalsteve
Are there matching cross overs? Specific amplifiers? You do realize the 3D option comes with many more speakers, more amps, is tuned differently, etc.

The sound quality may not be very good if you add in these tweeters, but it will look cool....
I do realize the 3D option comes with many more speakers, amps, tuned differently etc. the key word I see in your post is "may"... that's why I said I will post a review WHEN I add these tweeters. If it messes up the sound, then I will say that and remove them.

Too many people around here are too quick to throw around a emoji when they don't agree with something. Do you really not agree with me trying something and posting a review?
The following users liked this post:
modulus (08-22-2020)
Old 06-10-2017, 11:49 AM

2015 MBZ S 550
I do realize the 3D option comes with many more speakers, amps, tuned differently etc. the key word I see in your post is "may"... that's why I said I will post a review WHEN I add these tweeters. If it messes up the sound, then I will say that and remove them.

Too many people around here are too quick to throw around a emoji when they don't agree with something. Do you really not agree with me trying something and posting a review?
So the perception of great sound quality is very subjective. Coming from a background as a recording engineer with many years spent in sound studios that spend many hundreds of thousands of dollars to get the sound as neutral as possible, cars are not the best environment for great sound quality.

This being said, I am sure that many hours and lots of money have been spent tuning the basic system and the 3D system in the S Class. For many reasons ( some I posted in my previous posting ) I am sure adding these tweeters will mess with sound quality that MBZ intended. Whether you think it sounds better or worse is your prerogative.

But, it will definitely look cool!
Old 06-10-2017, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I seem to remember that urbusted, another forum member, had installed additional 3D Burmester speakers (ceiling speaker). Might want to check his posts.

To Socalsteve; it will be unlikely that the sound dimishes, rather it will not deliver a signicant improvement.

For anyone attempting the upgrade, by now there should be enough S-classes in junkyards that have the needed 3d burnmester components (amp, trunk sub, ceiling center and door tweeters. That could be a cheap upgrade path
The following 4 users liked this post by Wolfman:
ki4low23 (05-05-2022), Matthayes3741 (06-10-2017), modulus (08-22-2020), Yup497 (07-11-2020)
Old 06-10-2017, 12:28 PM

2014 S550
Thanks guys. I don't think it will diminish sound quality as there is already a speaker there and this does not have an amplifier so it's probably more of a visual upgrade... as I stated, I will post a review when done.

I don't think MB did a great job wih the base sound system on our cars. I think it lacks bass and will likely look into upgrading that as well. I found the following post very interesting:
https://w205audio.wordpress.com
It doesn't look like the intent was to make the base level MB sound systems "the best"... I don't want a bass machine but I'm definitely not blown away by my sound system. I like having my sunglasses case above the rear view mirror so no speaker desired there. I'm curious if the center roof speaker really adds value. In my opinion I just need a little more bass.

@SocalSteve - thanks for your clarification. I originally read that emoji as a negative towards me. A couple other members have posted negatively for doing modifications to the car and I just don't understand that mentality... especially when I'm just trying to post a review so other members can read before making their decisions. Again, I appreciate your clarification that it was not your intent.
As for the actual upgrade, while I'm not a sound engineer (I'm a nuclear and electrical engineer) in my youth I did a lot with sound systems. I was sponsored by Visonik and was in many competitions. My biggest learning is that whatever sounds best to the driver is the only thing that really matters (as you said).
Old 06-10-2017, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
I think it lacks bass and will likely look into upgrading that as well.
I agree and in fact there was a review that measured bass extension to 45Hz which is so-so...here

I think Socalsteve is saying that the "rest of the system" in the base system may not be a good match for the upgrade tweeters. For example, the base system might have a DSP or equalization curve applied to the tweeter range that is entirely different from the curve in the upgrade system, for the upgrade tweeters. And/or the base system could be designed with say a 2.2 kHz crossover to the midrange, whereas the upgrade system could be designed with say 2.0 kHz.

Wolfman's suggestion of trying to locate junkyard other upgrade components makes alot of sense if you are going to upgrade the tweeters.
modulus (08-22-2020)
Old 06-10-2017, 02:26 PM

2014 S550
Originally Posted by syswei

I think Socalsteve is saying that the "rest of the system" in the base system may not be a good match for the upgrade tweeters. For example, the base system might have a DSP or equalization curve applied to the tweeter range that is entirely different from the curve in the upgrade system, for the upgrade tweeters. And/or the base system could be designed with say a 2.2 kHz crossover to the midrange, whereas the upgrade system could be designed with say 2.0 kHz.

Wolfman's suggestion of trying to locate junkyard other upgrade components makes alot of sense if you are going to upgrade the tweeters.
These tweeters that I've already purchased are not amplified and are therefore not likely going to provide anymore sound than the tweeters that are already there. I doubt very much that it will change the sound characteristics... but I will post a review if it does.

I thanked Wolfman for his comment for other buyers... it's a good suggestion. I do believe that tweeters from a Mercedes with 3D sound will likely require an amplified as the real 3D sound ones are amplified. This will likely change the sound characteristics. I would guess a full upgrade will be costly but perhaps worth it.
I've already purchased these and I don't really care about costs... he'll, for all I know I will get ripped off for $700 and they won't send the speakers. If that's the case I'm okay with that as well and will post a review so others don't make the same decision.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:44 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by syswei
I agree and in fact there was a review that measured bass extension to 45Hz which is so-so...here

This is exactly the point I was getting at without getting too technical.

As for sound in a car, it's truly a horrible environment for many,many reasons. But, the S Class, if you really want to do an exceptional sound system, is probably one the best car environments to do this.

I have the 3D system in my S Class and given a great piece of music in a high quality format off the internal disc or even the SD card has brought out pieces of the music I have never heard before in a car system. That is saying a lot! I'm not sure I would have checked the very expensive option buying the car from new, but it came with the used car I bought.

I was looking for the 3D system, the Magic Body Control and heads up display ( 3 options that are pretty rare ) and found all 3 in a local CPO car. It wasn't my first color choice ( exterior ) but I have grown to love the Verde Brooke Metallic.

Anyway, to the OP, good luck! I hope it far exceeds your expectations. It's not as visually dramatic as my A7 was with the B and O tweeters popping out of the dash, but it's still fun. Enjoy!

Last edited by Socalsteve; 06-10-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Matthayes3741 (06-10-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 02:58 PM

2014 S550
@socalsteve I was looking for similar options BUT I also ranked the color as my top priority. I may decide to purchase new next time with all options but not likely until the w223 (not a big fan of the facelifted w222). This was my first Mercedes and I decided that I should try one out before ordering brand new.

Congrats on your purchase and great find. Btw, my wife was born and raised in La Jolla and we lived there while I worked at San Onofre nuclear (until they closed down). Now I'm up in San Luis Obispo (north of Santa Barbara) managing at Diablo Canyon... which will shutdown next lol.

Last edited by Matthayes3741; 06-11-2017 at 09:34 AM.
modulus (08-22-2020)
Old 06-10-2017, 03:06 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
@socalsteve I was looking for similar options BUT I also wanted ranked the color (mocha black) as my top priority. I may decide to purchase new next time with all options but not likely until the w223 (not a big fan of the facelifted w222). This was my first Mercedes and I decided that I should try one out before ordering brand new!

Congrats on your purchase! Great find. Btw, my wife was born and raised in La Jolla and we lived there while I worked at San Onofre nuclear (until they closed down). Now I'm up in San Luis Obispo (north of Santa Barbara) managing at Diablo Canyon... which will shutdown next lol.
I've always owned white cars. The 2 cars that weren't white ( 2007 911 and my 2015 S Class ) I bought because of the combo of options and price. I haven't regretted either purchase.

As for nuclear power plants...I'm sure you will find employment in the wind or solar energy industry...
Old 06-10-2017, 07:15 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
If I may, everyone that has entered my car has always been impressed with the tweeters haha.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic, 2006 C180 Kompressor, 2007 S550 AMG Package
I agree that the listening environment is less than optimal in a car but I also have to admit that the 3D system is one of the best I have heard.

A big problem you might run into is that those are Chinese manufactured to a low quality specification, I think it might have been easier to order some second hand genuine MB parts online.

I am not critiquing in a negative way.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:01 PM

2014 S550
Good call on buying second hand oem speakers. I plan on installing these to test quality
Old 06-17-2017, 07:11 PM

2014 S550
Package arrived today... hoping to install tomorrow. Quality looks good so far!

Packaging is good

Old 06-17-2017, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
They look nice! Let us know how easy they are to install. Thanks
Old 06-18-2017, 09:30 PM

2014 S550
Overall I am VERY impressed with these speakers. They were much cheaper than purchasing new from MB and easier to find than calling around to a junk yard. I'm also not sure if you can find them at a junk yard and at what price.

Anyone looking to purchase: the installation was quick and easy. I've created a new thread with the door panel installation removal video in case anyone is looking. Installation was also easy (the video is playing a 2x speed).

NOTE: the ordering website, dhgate, will not allow PayPal. I contacted the seller and arranged a PayPal transaction. The shipping was quick (less than a week to my door). The installation instructions at DHGate show that you have to modify your door panel plastic. I believe that was for a different version of our cars (non-W222) as I did not have to make any modifications. You will also see that I installed the black module in a different place. It fit well and everything snapped in perfectly.

Final note: the small screws that you see me removing in the video did not need to be removed on the passenger side. I felt that I needed to remove them on the drivers side in order to access the forward screw easier. I would also recommend using a magnetic torx bit...

Door Panel Removal:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9I...ew?usp=sharing

Speaker Installation:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9I...ew?usp=sharing

Other Thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...ml#post7184019
The following 4 users liked this post by Matthayes3741:
grange3 (06-20-2017), modulus (08-18-2017), Quenthel (05-18-2021), SilverArrow44 (03-06-2021)
Old 06-19-2017, 04:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
W213 E200
How is the sound compared to stock tweeters?
Old 06-19-2017, 09:54 AM

2014 S550
I think it sounds better than stock tweeters but I'm also willing to consider it may be all in my head. The speakers look similar (physically) to the stock speakers and they do not come with a new amplifier. That's why I find it hard to believe that it is a significant improvement in sound as I'm not sure how that would be possible.

Still, I think it sounds better. They certainly improve the look.
kamelot (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63s, e43
I think it sounds better than stock tweeters but I'm also willing to consider it may be all in my head. The speakers look similar (physically) to the stock speakers and they do not come with a new amplifier. That's why I find it hard to believe that it is a significant improvement in sound as I'm not sure how that would be possible.

Still, I think it sounds better. They certainly improve the look.
Could you tell if any additional encodings were required in order for the tweeters to move out. Or do they move right after installation? And what algorithm of their movement - like the original - when you turn on the sound?
Old 06-19-2017, 10:45 AM

2014 S550
I don't know anything about the coding but after I installed the speakers everything worked. The speakers rotate out when the car is turned on and rotate in when it is turned off and drivers door is open. Additionally, when I change the color of my interior ambient lighting, the lights on the teeter change accordingly. All colors matched as if thus was factory.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:53 AM

c63s, e43
I don't know anything about the coding but after I installed the speakers everything worked. The speakers rotate out when the car is turned on and rotate in when it is turned off and drivers door is open. Additionally, when I change the color of my interior ambient lighting, the lights on the teeter change accordingly. All colors matched as if thus was factory.
but original one rotate out when the Comand is on, not car. but anyway maybe it's doesn't matter.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:03 AM

2014 S550
Good clarification: these rotate when command is on, not when the car is on. Of course, when I turn on the car command turns on, this they rotate out.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:55 PM

c63s, e43
Good clarification: these rotate when command is on, not when the car is on. Of course, when I turn on the car command turns on, this they rotate out.
Was the installation manual in the box?
Old 06-19-2017, 01:02 PM

2014 S550
There was no installation manual other than a couple of pictures showing where to connect things. There was nothing on how to remove the front door panels for W222s... I couldn't find any instructions or references using Google either which is why I uploaded videos how to do it... I had to figure it out on my own. Luckily I'm pretty good at this stuff (although not a professional)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New 3D Rotary tweeters for non-3D W222