S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Also pulled the trigger...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 09:30 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2018 S560; 2021 GLS450
Also pulled the trigger...

First Benz order after a series of BMWs. E46, E39, F10, F01, G11... E39 and F10 are still alive and kicking, in different countries...

New order is S560v4, Iridium Silver w/ Light Burl Walnut trim and 19" multi-spoke wheels. And the below packages;
Premium P.
PRE-SAFE Rear Seat P.
Rear Seat P.
Executive Rear Seat P.
Warmth & Comfort P.
Driver Assistance P.
Exclusive Trim (primarily because it could not be avoided)
Head-Up Display
MAGIC SKY Control
Rear Seat Entertainment System (primarily because it could not be avoided)
Night View Assist PLUS

No clue on the build or delivery yet. Hoping for a smooth delivery experience, let's see...
Old 12-05-2017, 09:32 PM

2018 S560; 2021 GLS450
And black exclusive Nappa Leather, which I forgot to mention (as required by one of the packages, which one I forget).
Old 12-05-2017, 10:26 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts
Congrats (just a suggestion, the car is large and looks nicer with the 20's).
Old 12-05-2017, 11:43 PM

2018 S560; 2021 GLS450
Thank you for your suggestion. I realize that after my experience with the F10 and G11, where I had the 20" wheels. The wheel and tire insurance came in really handy with the potholes in the Pacific NW on F10, and no such luck in Europe on the G11. In the end, between the two cars over 7 years in F10 and 3 in G11, I went through 8 sets of wheels... Somehow the combination of the runflats and low profile did not work very well for me. I realize this would be a different experience, but once burnt twice shy...

Having said that, eventually I am planning to ditch the runflats, but not until I am done with the original set. From comfort and noise POV only. Quick question on that; do they come with Good Year RFTs all? That is one of the noisiest you can get unfortunately. Michelin at least is tolerable... Not sure whether I would have a choice even (again, MB newbie...); BMW offered the choice to me after my 3rd custom order, and with Michelin all the time after that (for some, it was already the default, but not all...).

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,336 Likes on 2,061 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by salamigs
Thank you for your suggestion. I realize that after my experience with the F10 and G11, where I had the 20" wheels. The wheel and tire insurance came in really handy with the potholes in the Pacific NW on F10, and no such luck in Europe on the G11. In the end, between the two cars over 7 years in F10 and 3 in G11, I went through 8 sets of wheels... Somehow the combination of the runflats and low profile did not work very well for me. I realize this would be a different experience, but once burnt twice shy...

Having said that, eventually I am planning to ditch the runflats, but not until I am done with the original set. From comfort and noise POV only. Quick question on that; do they come with Good Year RFTs all? That is one of the noisiest you can get unfortunately. Michelin at least is tolerable... Not sure whether I would have a choice even (again, MB newbie...); BMW offered the choice to me after my 3rd custom order, and with Michelin all the time after that (for some, it was already the default, but not all...).

Goodyear RFT's have been crap, really as all run flats. MB doesn't use them afaik. Our S550 had Pirelli Run Flats. Swapped them out after a week with Conti DWS. We did the same with our F02 750li xdrive. Marked improvement for no wheel issues ever.
The S-Class is a good fit with all seasons, in combination with a Tirefit kit (also used one from Continental)
Old 12-06-2017, 01:36 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Pleasure.
My coupes (on 20's) all came with GY F1's, the other option is P Zeros which I found rode even harsher, which w/ the ROF's are a horrible combination. When the ROF's are gone your choices will be plentiful. I've had great experiences with Michelin Pilot S/S's for summer tires.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 647 Likes on 486 Posts
W212 FL
Congrats, that's a neatly loaded car
I have been running Goodyear's Run Flats in my G30 xDrive .they ride better than I thought would be but I think if I ditched them for a regular you say Michelin or Bridgestone the ride would be even smoother .Because everyone says run flats are too hard and spoils the suspension comfort
Happy Driving
Old 12-06-2017, 10:48 AM

2018 S560; 2021 GLS450
Yes, I can tell you from experience that the road noise and ride comfort level improves by an order of magnitude each when you go from RFT to regular tires. The regular tire of choice for me has always been Michelin (different type in different years, but the Super Sport version is what I go for in the summer). The winter tire+wheel packages for BMW came with Dunlops for me, which were decent. But the Blizzaks turned out to be much better. In the snow/winter storm last year, I could not get out of the house with Dunlops with my RWD (it was pretty bad), but Blizzaks were fine-ish (cannot compensate for RWD trying to drive uphill fully, but helped clear the hill with some swerving...).
As far as RFTs are concerned, I still prefer the Michelin, may be somewhat due to brand loyalty, but my experience is it is quieter than the others that I had some limited exposure to.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:54 AM

2018 S560; 2021 GLS450
BenzV12,

Could not help but notice the Fenerbahce logo on your sig. I am a good fan of Galatasaray, and at some point, I was part of the club as a member, with some director responsibilities (no more, as I do not reside there anymore). Hopefully this forum is not too small for the two of us .
Old 12-06-2017, 11:13 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Congrats on your order! beatiful car

First Benz order after a series of BMWs. E46, E39, F10, F01, G11... E39 and F10 are still alive and kicking, in different countries...

New order is S560v4, Iridium Silver w/ Light Burl Walnut trim and 19" multi-spoke wheels. And the below packages;
Premium P.
PRE-SAFE Rear Seat P.
Rear Seat P.
Executive Rear Seat P.
Warmth & Comfort P.
Driver Assistance P.
Exclusive Trim (primarily because it could not be avoided)
Head-Up Display
MAGIC SKY Control
Rear Seat Entertainment System (primarily because it could not be avoided)
Night View Assist PLUS

No clue on the build or delivery yet. Hoping for a smooth delivery experience, let's see...
Old 12-07-2017, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 647 Likes on 486 Posts
W212 FL
Yes, I can tell you from experience that the road noise and ride comfort level improves by an order of magnitude each when you go from RFT to regular tires. The regular tire of choice for me has always been Michelin (different type in different years, but the Super Sport version is what I go for in the summer). The winter tire+wheel packages for BMW came with Dunlops for me, which were decent. But the Blizzaks turned out to be much better. In the snow/winter storm last year, I could not get out of the house with Dunlops with my RWD (it was pretty bad), but Blizzaks were fine-ish (cannot compensate for RWD trying to drive uphill fully, but helped clear the hill with some swerving...).
As far as RFTs are concerned, I still prefer the Michelin, may be somewhat due to brand loyalty, but my experience is it is quieter than the others that I had some limited exposure to.
I like Michelins too

BenzV12,

Could not help but notice the Fenerbahce logo on your sig. I am a good fan of Galatasaray, and at some point, I was part of the club as a member, with some director responsibilities (no more, as I do not reside there anymore). Hopefully this forum is not too small for the two of us .
Worry not , I promise I will not raise any stink when it comes to sports clubs .I find such debacles too puerile anyway
Old 12-24-2017, 12:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
S Class Coupe
Sounds very nice. I have the Night View Assist PLUS on my current S550 coupe and will not be getting it in my upcoming S560 sedan. Why? It doesn't offer much value. Sure the screen switches to a view of the road ahead and flashes the lights upon picking up the presence of a person, but it has a lot of drawbacks. First, it doesn't work consistently. Often I see a pedestrian that it missed. Second, when it does work, all it does is give you a B&W image of the scene ahead -- it's up to me to "find Waldo" in the bland info. On a prior Audi, the system was terrific -- it put yellow boxes around the people so you could see where they are. By the time I spot them on the bland Mercedes system, the screen goes blank -- or goes blank before I can find them. So, this time I'm skipping that expense.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:43 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WorldExplorer
Sounds very nice. I have the Night View Assist PLUS on my current S550 coupe and will not be getting it in my upcoming S560 sedan. Why? It doesn't offer much value. Sure the screen switches to a view of the road ahead and flashes the lights upon picking up the presence of a person, but it has a lot of drawbacks. First, it doesn't work consistently. Often I see a pedestrian that it missed. Second, when it does work, all it does is give you a B&W image of the scene ahead -- it's up to me to "find Waldo" in the bland info. On a prior Audi, the system was terrific -- it put yellow boxes around the people so you could see where they are. By the time I spot them on the bland Mercedes system, the screen goes blank -- or goes blank before I can find them. So, this time I'm skipping that expense.
My NVA works very well, picking up and tracking people/animals well before we could see them. I have Audi's version on the new Q7 and it's no where's near as good as MBs.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:32 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
BenzV12,

Since I am a big time Fenerbahce fan as well, I worry you are outnumbered already
Old 01-01-2018, 09:25 PM

2018 S560; 2021 GLS450
Originally Posted by quantira2
Since I am a big time Fenerbahce fan as well, I worry you are outnumbered already
Galatasaray are never outnumbered .