Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

You Must Read This Before You Decide To "tune" Your Car................

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99' SLK 230 & 01' CLK 430
You Must Read This Before You Decide To "tune" Your Car................

This is an excellent article................

http://www.teamscr.com/fuel.htm
Old 08-05-2002, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very good article, this explains why the ECU won't adapt to the pulley and intake changes. My brother wants to do a chip on his Passat 1.8 turbo, he may have to get one of those fuel regulators you are testing.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:18 PM

Actually the 4.0 Bar FPR that i'm testing right now is an upgrade FPR for the 1.8 Turbo. You know where to get them and it only $50 compared to my $100 Vaeth 3.8 Bar FPR.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:11 PM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 Kompressor
I found this article interesting as well (from the same site):

http://www.teamscr.com/pulleys.htm
Old 08-05-2002, 10:30 PM

I post that article last week and Brad from Evosport went crazy about it...lol. Here's some more link....

http://www.dinanbmw.com/html/danger_...er_pulleys.htm

http://www.miataforum.com/cgi-bin/ul...=1&t=007135&p=

Here is some Honda related experienced:

"After having the solid crank pulley on for about 25k miles (and an 8 lb. flywheel on for 5k miles), I pulled the engine (45k total miles) to have some top and bottom end work done (I had a problem with some cams). Anyway, upon tear down, the #5 and #4 bearings (furthest from the pulley) looked perfect. #3 looked okay, #2 looked so-so, and #1 looked HORRIBLE. There were deep enough grooves in the bearing to easily catch a finger nail. Because the crank is so much harder than the bearings, the crank just had to be polished on the bearing journals. As for the pump, there were vibration grooves worn into the pump housing that were so severe that the pump had to be replaced with a new one. Everything else looked fine. The progressive nature of the damage to the bearings leads me to believe that the pulley was to blame. I had seen Honda engines with 3 times as many miles without solid crank pulleys that had perfect crank bearings throughout."
Old 08-06-2002, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's a risk you take with any performance improvement but I haven't heard any crankshaft or bearing failures on the SLK forum that has had pulley kits of varying types from the solid pulley on Linh's car to varying ring devices attached to the factory pulley. The alternative on the older SLKs and C230K sedans is to use the DSR S/C pulley but on the newer SLK and '02 C-Coupes the only thing available is either a modified or solid crank pulley, either way you altering the balance and harmonics of the crankshaft from what the engineers planned, hopefully not too badly to cause failures.

So if any has had a bad experience with a crankshaft pulley causing engine damage on a Mercedes, please tell us your story. I'm sure we would all be interested in knowing. I look at it this way, many people before me put these types of pulleys on, if they start showing up as a problem in the future I would yank the pulley and sell the car. If your the type that keeps a car for a very long time, performance mods are not for you. But for me it takes an already fun car and makes it way better.
Old 08-06-2002, 02:12 AM

There's only one person with the slk that reported crank shaft seal oil leaked after installed Weatteruer pulley (i know i mispelled the company name) from the mbnz.org.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:33 AM

09 C 63 P30
you mean

www.wetterauer.de
it's a german chip-tuner.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by linh
There's only one person with the slk that reported crank shaft seal oil leaked after installed Weatteruer pulley (i know i mispelled the company name) from the mbnz.org.
What type of pulley is the Wetteraur? Solid like yours or a factory pulley with ring like Vaeth, H&S, Renntech, Kleemann ring, Carlsson? Also, how long after installing the pulley did he experience this problem?
Old 08-06-2002, 10:18 PM

Buellwrinkle, I can't answer any of those Q's because the guy never post the picture and this oil leaked started about a year ago.
Old 08-07-2002, 10:10 AM

2005 SLK 55
I lost my S/C seal after installing the Wetterauer kit. The kit, at that time, increased the S/C pulley size and they have since modified their kit to decrease the size of the crank pulley instead.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What were the symptons of this failure, or in other words, how did you know that you had a problem? I ask this because another forum member with a C-Coupe and Kleemann ring is having problems where his S/C makes a click clack sound about 4 days after having this ring installed. It would be great to have a single place where performance mods have been related to failures to check for trends and correct them before it affects everyone.

Also, did your MB or Wetteraur warranty cover the repair? If not how much did it cost to repair?
Old 08-07-2002, 03:28 PM

2005 SLK 55
The major sympton was oil messing up my MAS. We had originally thought that the oil source was the engine and that somehow oil was being sucked into the induction system as a result of the extra boost from the upgrade. It turned out that the oil was from the S/C sealed lubrication system. On a highway trip back to Calgary, the engine started making noises and that's when we realized that we had pretty much drained all of the lubricant from the S/C. The dealer replaced the S/C but were not obliged to do so. They did the Weterrauer install. I got lucky, at least in that respect.