Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Open Invite Tuner Shoot Out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Open Invite Tuner Shoot Out

Most of you are aware of all the allogations and crap that has been going on between ECU tuners over the past few months. Unfortuntly I have been put in the middle of this mess and I am not enoying any of it and the truth of the matter I am not enjoying my favorite hobby (cars & bikes) anymore. I am sick of finger pointing, I am sick of missed commitments and most of all I am sick of wondering. I want to find out once and for all who is the best, I am sick and tired of the wondering.

I am laying down the guantlet for the tuners, lets see who steps up. We can use my car on a neuteral 3rd parties dyno.

This is an open invitation for any tuner, big or small to come show your stuff. I am going to work with a local 3rd party shop and use their dyno for this shootout.

I am currently running what I have been told is Powerchips latest and greatest version of a 63 tune. Let's see how it stack up against the rest.

Tuners, the line starts here
Old 03-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Received 514 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Should we assume that your money was not returned? What are you trying to prove......Powerchips>MHP?

You sound frustrated......... I'm betting that your attempt to set up a tuner challenge will ultimately be an exercise in futility, so don't be surprised when you fail to hear from Kleemann, Renntech, Brabus, ect. There is more to lose than to gain from a head-to-head competition among established tuners.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by Rock
Should we assume that your money was not returned? What are you trying to prove......Powerchips>MHP?

You sound frustrated......... I'm betting that your attempt to set up a tuner challenge will ultimately be an exercise in futility, so don't be surprised when you fail to hear from Kleemann, Renntech, Brabus, ect. There is more to lose than to gain from a head-to-head competition among established tuners.
I presume much of jrcart's current frustration is illustrated in the following post (TX Mile thread, w211 forum):

Originally Posted by jrcart
...I know Tanner was going to be driving my car and there was going to be an entire episode based on my car.....But.....

But.......

But.......

But evosport did not fix any of the problems my car was having with the charging system. Nor did they deliver on my CF drive shaft, nor did they provide me with a single dyno sheet showing me any possible gains from the new airbox they touted or the "latest and greatest" version of Powerchip shoftware LOL. I was promised 2 new Powerchip ECU tunes (one N/A, one NOS) only to find out last night that they left the MHP tune on my NOS ECU....ironically I ran my quickest e/t of the night with that ECU...just what we all wanted and needed, more ECU drama.

I get to Firebird and I don't pass tech because the seat-belt was not installed properly. To say I am disappointed would be an understatement. I will most likely never let evosport touch my car agian. My car was there for over 2 months, I got a bill for over $7500 and over half the stuff that was supposed to be done was either not done at all or done incorrectly. Who knows how long my car is going to be down now, I have to find another shop in Chicago to trouble shoot the charging issue and then correct it.

I sense a ban in my future
jrcart - doesn't sound like a fun situation any way you slice it. Hope you get things worked out in the end, and are running 10's soon. Best of luck, and with your determination I'm convinced you'll persevere.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Rock

I am not trying to prove anything, I just want to see once and for all who offers the best ECU tuning for our 63 cars. This is not meant to credit/dis-credit anyone, it's just that there have been lots of allogations and pointed fingers over the past couple months and I want to find out once and for all, not only for myself, but for every 63 owner on this board. I have spent $10,000 in ECU's and ECU tuning in the past year, I owe it to myself to find out what works best. I am confident MHP will bring their best and I already (supposedly) have Powerchips best version currently in my car, I welcome any other tuner to bring their best shot at a 63 tune, I will supply the car, the dyno and the ECU's. I will anounce a date as soon as I see who else buys in.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Good luck Jim but as Rock pointed out, I'd be surprised if the tuners stepped up.
I asked a similar question about 24 months ago about what dyno outcomes would a tuner guarantee and all I heard was excuses (IMNSHO) about variables and possibilities.
My take on it was that the canned tune they use works to some degree on all cars but they don't have enough confidence to provide numbers up front.
I ended up going with VRP and was happy with outcome on a CL55.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DFW01E55
Good luck Jim but as Rock pointed out, I'd be surprised if the tuners stepped up.
I asked a similar question about 24 months ago about what dyno outcomes would a tuner guarantee and all I heard was excuses (IMNSHO) about variables and possibilities.
My take on it was that the canned tune they use works to some degree on all cars but they don't have enough confidence to provide numbers up front.
I ended up going with VRP and was happy with outcome on a CL55.
I am proposing same car, same dyno, same day, this would take a lot of the "variables" out of the equation.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Audi RS7
jrcart,
I feel your pain. I have always believed that you get what you pay for so I started with the MKB tune and headers because they are well respected and have quality parts. The car ran great and I was very pleased with the results but as many of us are, I wanted more, imagine that.
I have since moved over to MHP because they can dyno tune the car on site and squeeze all they can out of it. They were also able to tighten up the shift points and make some other adjustments concerning the transmissions characteristics which was a big debate a while back and now PC has found that area of the ECU, interesting??
Out of sheer curiosity I bought a new ECU and MKB was willing to reload their tune in it this past week. I will run that new ECU very soon on the dyno to compare same car, same day, same dyno, same fuel, same weather, etc... Andy and his tuner are coming to Florida within the next two weeks to custom tune my car. I want all I can get safely and they agreed to come down and help me out. I will then run the two tunes side by side.

Good luck getting any of the tuners to step up themselves. I think you will have to purchase their latest and greatest tune and do the test yourself. Only problem with that is they will all make the claim that your car has modifications that their tune wasn't set up for like "no cats" or something like that. So far MHP has been the only tuner willing to custom tune my car for comparison reasons. Good luck!!
Old 03-22-2009, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG Black on Black PP Package CF fully loaded
I am proposing same car, same dyno, same day, this would take a lot of the "variables" out of the equation.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
You're not being unreasonable.
I'll be pleasantly surprised if anyone (besides Andy) steps up.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Collectively, the members of this forum are laying down a considerable amount of money between ECU/TCU tunes, exhaust improvements, pulleys etc. Each individual probably has a different agenda whether it be absolute maximum performance or simply affordable but meaningful improvement. My concern is which vendors are delivering on their promise. My car was tuned this week along with headers and a secondary cat delete. " Day of install dyno" results were about 30 rwhp shy of what was advertised and I hope that after a week of hard driving including one track night, more will be found. Interestingly my car accelerated better during the second 1/8 mile stock by 2.5mph compared with tuned???
Hopefully we can get some accountability happening and I tend to agree with the prior posts that MHP is the most forthcoming of the bunch. That and I have seen Keith's car personally with the MHP tune and he is top of the C63 heap at the moment.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
RENNtech all the way.

Renntech has the ability to do in house what most tuners simply can not do. With Machines like Rapid 3D prototyping printers, CNC machines, along with in house engineers, welders, and software developers. Not to mention Hartman's direct connection with AMG that allows him to gain certain parts and information that other tuners just cant get. Even If they tell/sell you they can.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:14 AM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by hhughes1
" Day of install dyno" results were about 30 rwhp shy of what was advertised

What tuning company is this in reference to? I'm supposed to get the Evosport ECU and pulley next week and I am now severly sketched out.....
Old 03-23-2009, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by MacGCU
What tuning company is this in reference to? I'm supposed to get the Evosport ECU and pulley next week and I am now severly sketched out.....
Wouldn't be right to flame anyone without allowing time for a resolution. I am led to believe that the tunes need some time to "adapt" and I am planning to dyno back to back with Dad's C63 to compare my brand verses both of his. I would wait a couple of weeks to see if this thread sheds any additional light.

PS. At least one other member has the same exact issue as I do
Old 03-23-2009, 08:35 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
11' R8 - 11' RR Sport
This entire ECU issue has been running around this forum like a cancer...Who care's anymore..seriously, if anyone wants more power..just get a faster car.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:23 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Back in town and sleeping off the lag...of course, were in.

BTW, Evotech does all Renntech's tuning--that's no secret. :p It's all WOT ECU, no part throttle, no TCU. Not a knock, just stating facts. Renn has no more connections as far as the factory goes than any of the other well known tuners.

After browsing though other threads in this forum I find it somewhat funny/sickening that another "tuner" just now claims to have found 63 trans maps in the ECU--maps we had access to over a year ago. Something that we were prosecuted for by a third party (and the site, admins, owners let happen) by means of him posting absolute lies and untruths about us. The best part is it was only after said "tuner" was allowed to download some of our cals, and was given other cals by some prior customers that this all comes to light.

The next few weeks are going to be VERY interesting.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by MHP
Back in town and sleeping off the lag...of course, were in.

BTW, Evotech does all Renntech's tuning--that's no secret. :p It's all WOT ECU, no part throttle, no TCU. Not a knock, just stating facts. Renn has no more connections as far as the factory goes than any of the other well known tuners.

After browsing though other threads in this forum I find it somewhat funny/sickening that another "tuner" just now claims to have found 63 trans maps in the ECU--maps we had access to over a year ago. Something that we were prosecuted for by a third party (and the site, admins, owners let happen) by means of him posting absolute lies and untruths about us. The best part is it was only after said "tuner" was allowed to download some of our cals, and was given other cals by some prior customers that this all comes to light.

The next few weeks are going to be VERY interesting.
RENNtech does not not use anything from EvoTech. They used to collaborate on software but since then (along ago) Oliver and Hartmut have gone separate ways. Since then RENNtech has advanced their tunes and gone to new levels of power and torque. Welcome to 2007 or earlier. Your lack of information in this field is obvious as seen in the threads from earlier in the year.

I don't know where you get this information but the people that know your lack of ability in this field are sick of your false and half witted comments.

You honestly do business in a fictional world. One where most of us don't choose to go. One where cars have fake stolen tunes and take 3 seconds to complete a shift.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
wrong

MHP your facts are wrong ... evotech USED to do the tunes for Renntech. But that relationship was terminated well over a year ago.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by SLK55R
MHP your facts are wrong ... evotech USED to do the tunes for Renntech. But that relationship was terminated well over a year ago.
He thinks he is the greatest thing since sliced bread but his data is all wrong. I personally am SICK of his defamatory comments which are basically all fabricated lies.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:30 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
RENNtech does not not use anything from EvoTech. They used to collaborate on software but since then (along ago) Oliver and Hartmut have gone separate ways. Since then RENNtech has advanced their tunes and gone to new levels of power and torque. Welcome to 2007 or earlier. Your lack of information in this field is obvious as seen in the threads from earlier in the year.

I don't know where you get this information but the people that know your lack of ability in this field are sick of your false and half witted comments.

You honestly do business in a fictional world. One where most of us don't choose to go. One where cars have fake stolen tunes and take 3 seconds to complete a shift.
Oliver and Hartmut may have parted ways (under the circumstances I don't see how they could work together even today) but that means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Back to my fictional world where 63 TCU tuning or tweaking A/F isn't possible (until someone rips our cals to reverse engineer the maps).

The internet is the garbage dump it is because of people like you. I honestly can't wait to stop posting, but I've got a lot of info to throw up before I do.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:31 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by SLK55R
LOL, if you say so.

Probably my favorite part of the internet. SLK55R, what do you do for a living?
Old 03-23-2009, 01:35 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
He thinks he is the greatest thing since sliced bread but his data is all wrong. I personally am SICK of his defamatory comments which are basically all fabricated lies.
My defamatory comments?

Explain how me saying that Evotech does Renntech's tuning is defamatory?

A: It's not.

Now, what about the Tim Milliken ordeal? You know the one where he claimed and the site admins (who work directly with said competing tuner that now has magically found trans and A/F maps) allowed it to happen.

We were accused of stealing, lying, etc but that's all to the wayside now that PC has found the trans maps. LOL.

The bottom line is and always has been, we hold the records for quickest/fastest 63s on track and highest hp/tq on the dyno.

Why is it with the hundreds of other tuned cars running around no one has made it to the track/dyno to prove otherwise?

You may not like me, and I definitely don't like you, but facts are facts.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:37 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Trust me, you're going to want to sit back and take all the info in before posting any further. Your little world will be turned upside down in the very near future.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:41 PM

bike
Originally Posted by UGOTMOPPED
This entire ECU issue has been running around this forum like a cancer...Who care's anymore..seriously, if anyone wants more power..just get a faster car.
+1000

All this sh&t is getting so old. It should be pretty obvious from all the past threads that MHP is the only tuner who cares enough to take part in a shootout. All the others don't care.

This is never going to happen.

Last edited by bigbodybeeenz; 03-23-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:42 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Due to all the BS surrounding ECU (and TCU, yep I said TCU with regard to 63s) tuning, we're going to be doing a LOT more on site dyno tuning in the near future. Customers can see for themselves what we can do starting with a blank canvas (their car with stock ECU).
Old 03-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Manufacturer

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Open Invite Tuner Shoot Out