Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

What do aftermarket Superchargers do to mileage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55, Mini S
Question What do aftermarket Superchargers do to mileage?

If the new SL55 has such bad mileage (11mpg) because of the supercharger eating a lot of fuel, I was just wondering what Kleemann and others do to your mileage when you add their superchargers.
Old 01-28-2002, 12:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: What do aftermarket Superchargers do to mileage?

Originally posted by hmrdwn
If the new SL55 has such bad mileage (11mpg) because of the supercharger eating a lot of fuel, I was just wondering what Kleemann and others do to your mileage when you add their superchargers.
It actually depends more on the foot. Technically, with the supercharger you shouldn't have to press the gas as much in order to reach the speeds you normally drive at, so you would get better gas mileage. Realistically, when I get my supercharger, I doubt that I'll be doing anything but flooring it!
Old 01-28-2002, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Re: Re: What do aftermarket Superchargers do to mileage?

Originally posted by Mach430

It actually depends more on the foot. Technically, with the supercharger you shouldn't have to press the gas as much in order to reach the speeds you normally drive at, so you would get better gas mileage. Realistically, when I get my supercharger, I doubt that I'll be doing anything but flooring it!
Then make sure that you not only have extra cash for gas but also for tires. Thats the same problem I have had with my E55. I just cant stop flooring that thing and not only does the gas mileage drop but I have gone through two sets of rears. Speed is addicting. :p
Old 01-28-2002, 01:07 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about supercharger longevity?? I mean how long is the life expectancy on these superchargers?? Does it last forever or what part can fail on these s/c??

P.S. Vic check your PM and your other e-mail.
Old 01-28-2002, 01:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vic: Seen my avatar? 1 set of rear tires, 0 miles Oops

Jam: Kleemann products are built very well. Their kits come with a 1 yr warranty. I answered your email concerning engine life already, but basically an additional 3% strain is placed on the engine, which is not much. However, your driving habits and climate need to be considered as well.
Old 01-28-2002, 02:03 PM
Out Of Control!

Hey Mach!

Actually posted this e-mail before i e-mailed you. In any case.

Thanks again for the info!
Old 01-28-2002, 03:28 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

SC Milage

One of the primary reasons the MBZ SC engines get such poor milage is their static compression ratio. MBZ lowers to 9.0:1 in order to run "high" (1 bar, 14.7 psi) boost. The intercooler MBZ uses is not that efficeint, reducing CR is a saftey net the choose to use.

Leaving the CR at 10.0:1 is much better for the efficeincy of the engine. Controlling discharge temps is the key to running higher CR's. With a very good intercooler you can safely run "high" boost on "high" CR engines.

Gas milage is directly proportional to the amount you use the SC. Constantly flooring the pedal will result in poor MPG, melted tires and a large smile on your face. A rule of thumb is about a 1-3 mpg reduction in city driving, highway driving remains the same. This is once the giggle factor has faded- when the SC is new, you find yourself always mashing the pedal.

Kompressors should last as long as the engine. KLEEMANN Kompressors are fed filtered engine oil for lubrication. You change the SC oil when you change the engine oil. The manufacturer of the SC claims 10,000 hours at full load. Thats 416.66 DAYS at full boost/max speed with no rest periods. The SC is under full load maybe 10% of the time you drive (average). If you drove 24 hrs a day its would take 4166.66 days (11 years) before you meet the MTBF criteria. Certainly this is an over simplified, unplausable scenario.

Properly maintained, the SC should go 100,000 miles with no problem.
Old 01-28-2002, 05:26 PM

2000 Clk 430
Re: What do aftermarket Superchargers do to mileage?

Originally posted by hmrdwn
I was just wondering what Kleemann and others do to your mileage when you add their superchargers.
YOUR RIGHT FOOT GROWS TO A SIZE 22!!!!
Old 01-28-2002, 05:46 PM
Out Of Control!

Re: SC Milage

Thank you Kleemann!

Originally posted by KLEEMANN
One of the primary reasons the MBZ SC engines get such poor milage is their static compression ratio. MBZ lowers to 9.0:1 in order to run "high" (1 bar, 14.7 psi) boost. The intercooler MBZ uses is not that efficeint, reducing CR is a saftey net the choose to use.

Leaving the CR at 10.0:1 is much better for the efficeincy of the engine. Controlling discharge temps is the key to running higher CR's. With a very good intercooler you can safely run "high" boost on "high" CR engines.

Gas milage is directly proportional to the amount you use the SC. Constantly flooring the pedal will result in poor MPG, melted tires and a large smile on your face. A rule of thumb is about a 1-3 mpg reduction in city driving, highway driving remains the same. This is once the giggle factor has faded- when the SC is new, you find yourself always mashing the pedal.

Kompressors should last as long as the engine. KLEEMANN Kompressors are fed filtered engine oil for lubrication. You change the SC oil when you change the engine oil. The manufacturer of the SC claims 10,000 hours at full load. Thats 416.66 DAYS at full boost/max speed with no rest periods. The SC is under full load maybe 10% of the time you drive (average). If you drove 24 hrs a day its would take 4166.66 days (11 years) before you meet the MTBF criteria. Certainly this is an over simplified, unplausable scenario.

Properly maintained, the SC should go 100,000 miles with no problem.
Old 01-28-2002, 05:47 PM
Out Of Control!

Re: Re: What do aftermarket Superchargers do to mileage?

LOL!!

Originally posted by Howard

YOUR RIGHT FOOT GROWS TO A SIZE 22!!!!