Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

thinking about buying Brabus B9 kit for my CLK320

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-13-2003, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts
CLK320
thinking about buying Brabus B9 kit for my CLK320

i m thinking about buying Brabus B9 kit for my clk320, i already have Renntech ECu.
anyone here have any experence with chaning Cam on a MB car ? what you guys think ?
Old 03-13-2003, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS350
How much improvement did you get from the ECU? I don't know anyone who has a B9 kit, its seems like an awful lot of money for the small hp torque gain, why not spend 4K more and get an SC?
Old 03-13-2003, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK320
from Renntech they say 245hp and if the Brabus B9 kit give me another 18hp that should give me around 263hp.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:15 AM

yo tery.. so get a supercharger..and tell ur friend to show us how to hack hahah!!
Old 03-13-2003, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
But you'll get a cool engine cover
Old 03-13-2003, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK320
i think i will but not the new Brabus Carbon fiber engine cover tho heheh
Old 03-13-2003, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
Originally posted by tery
i think i will but not the new Brabus Carbon fiber engine cover tho heheh
Not sure about that i think those CF covers are only part of the big engine upgrades.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CLK320
How much does the brabus b9 kit cost?
Old 03-25-2003, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
$4,995 plus 860 for installation.
Old 03-25-2003, 02:52 AM

daz way overpriced for that little gain.. rahter save up a bit longer and get a kompressor
Old 03-25-2003, 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R170
WHOA! $5,000 + for 18HP... Jesus! Save up another 5k and get a Kleemann Kompressor which will give you nearly 7 times the gain for twice the price!

I knew Brabus prices were pretty high, but that's outrageous
Old 03-25-2003, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
Yeah but their products are top quality and thier wheels/body kits are IMO the best looking on the market today.

So you can see why they set any price they feel people will pay for their engine products, there is always someone out there especially in newport beach that will spend the cash to have the brabus badge on their trunk.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:11 AM

ML 320 CDI
Good choice man!
I will explain something that many Kleeman fanboys have not understood. We're here to speak about mercedes benz,ok? It's obvious but for those who really love benz, respecting the spirit of this fabulous brand is very important. Brabus respect Mercedes and mercedes respects Brabus. With the B9 kit, you will have power upgrade with the same feeling than your original engine. If you want to have a fast & furious car got to honda, mazda and nissan. Here it's mercedes, style, smooth engine and luxury.
Kleeman fans go to the dragway, that's not a place for a mercedes. Brabus engineers will tell you that they don'y build toys; their cars a heavy used (some custemers make more than 60000 miles per year). smooth and performance engines are the most important things for Brabus, like it is for Mercedes.
Brabus upgrade mercedes benz for more than 25 years and he knows how to do it. You can choose other tuners but why don't you choose the best?
Old 03-25-2003, 03:40 PM

maybe they are too darn expensive....!!?
Old 03-25-2003, 04:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by tango
maybe they are too darn expensive....!!?
Good point!

It's not that Kleemann doesnt know how to tune Mercedes w/o being reliable. Heck most Mercedes (my experiance) aren't reliable to begin with! When one chooses Brabus or Kleemann its almost the same choice they made when they purchased their car. Many Mercedes are over-priced at what the competitor offers. Just so happens Mercedes doesn't offer seven times the features at less than twice the price.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
I will explain something that many Kleeman fanboys have not understood. We're here to speak about mercedes benz,ok? It's obvious but for those who really love benz, respecting the spirit of this fabulous brand is very important. Brabus respect Mercedes and mercedes respects Brabus. With the B9 kit, you will have power upgrade with the same feeling than your original engine. If you want to have a fast & furious car got to honda, mazda and nissan. Here it's mercedes, style, smooth engine and luxury.

.........I support the idea of going ith the tunner that you think is the best. For many, the choice is Kleemann just as you have chosen Brabus. Regardless of the tunner, most people will consider spending $5K for 18HP as unwise. If you justify this just because it is Brabus, then I have a a dry pond in the desert to sell you...........I have specifically named the pond "Brabus Pond." So, go get your checkbook.

Your second point makes even less sense. From what you are saying, fast and furious cars such as the new SL55, E55 that are true beasts that easily sprint to 60mph in 4.5secs should be recalled and have their superchargers ripped out of them. I mean, we don't want them to be mistaken for a Honda, Nissan or Mazda. Luckily, this kind of thinking is not prevalent in positions of authority at Mercedes. Otherwise, the world would have been denied such a fast and furious "Honda" as the Mercedes SL55 AMG

Ted
Old 03-26-2003, 04:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R170
I'm going to whole heartedly side with Ted here...
Paul Le Corre, have you ever driven a Kleemann Mercedes?

Because EVERYONE who I have talked to or heard a review from about a Kleemann supercharged Mercedes has said that it is a seemless modification. They've all said that until the pedal is pressed there is no telling that there was a change from stock. But, of course, since its not Brabus it is garbage. Kleemann has been in the Benz tuning business for quite a while too. I don't mind Brabus, I think they make a good product, but they've got an unbelievably pompous attitude about tuning. Just because they've been around Mercedes' for a while they try and charge people through the nose for their stuff. Please, $5000 for 18 HP, I don't care how much engineering went into making the product, that's just robbery.

Kleeman fans go to the dragway
*cough* stupid unfounded stereotype *cough*
Old 03-26-2003, 05:06 AM

ML 320 CDI
Ok,Ok let me explain deeper my point of view.
First of all, SL 55AMG and all the AMG KOMPRESSOR cars are far from fast and furious. If they have chosen to put a kompressor on their new AMG V8 engine it's because they wanted to put enough power to match up the M5 and the RS6. They knew that the n.a version of the 5.5 engine was not suffisant (even the new CLK 55 AMG with the last evolution of the engine produce 367 HP). Mercedes use the compressors for theirs smoothness and their torque at low RPM. Now the question is not about what are the performances of the SL 55 AMG but how does it produces them. Even if it's a sport car, you can't compare it with heavy tuned japanese car.
Second, 5000$ for 18 HP is expensive but you have to know that Brabus change the ECU,the cramshafts and the Valves for this price. Opening a MB motor is very expensive, even if you don't upgrade it. And brabus is the only tuner to offer a 60.000 miles/3 years warranty on these products.
I have nothing against Kleeman, they're better than lorinser that must buy engine upgrades to MKB (for the Lorinser fanboys,sorry to break your dreams), but you must recognize that there is a gap between them and Brabus.
The best proof that I can give to show that MB respects Brabus is that Brabus is the official tuner of Smart, just like AMG is for Mercedes. This is a fact, not a personal conviction
Old 03-26-2003, 05:14 AM

brabus has been around longer than kleemann... but the reality is.... 5g for 18hp gain is way to pricey....and also its kleemann we are talkin about here not HPS.. haha
Old 03-26-2003, 07:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
Originally posted by Paul Le Corre
Second, 5000$ for 18 HP is expensive but you have to know that Brabus change the ECU,the cramshafts and the Valves for this price.
The B9 and B11 kits consist of camshafts, valve springs, and a sport exhaust. There is no ECU modification to my knowlege. Renntech on the other hand offers a modified ECU.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
First of all, SL 55AMG and all the AMG KOMPRESSOR cars are far from fast and furious. If they have chosen to put a kompressor on their new AMG V8 engine it's because they wanted to put enough power to match up the M5 and the RS6. They knew that the n.a version of the 5.5 engine was not suffisant (even the new CLK 55 AMG with the last evolution of the engine produce 367 HP). Mercedes use the compressors for theirs smoothness and their torque at low RPM. Now the question is not about what are the performances of the SL 55 AMG but how does it produces them. Even if it's a sport car, you can't compare it with heavy tuned japanese car.

.............You think the AMG Kompressor cars are far from fast and furious because they have Kompressors. There are several ways to increase HP. One way is to increase displacement, other ways include the addition of a supercharger or turbocharger. It looks like contrary to your advice, the folks at Mercedes/AMG have chosen to increase HP the same way that Kleemann does it.........by adding a supercharger. Even the RS6 you mentioned is only a 6 cylinder car with a turbo charger. The M5 is going to be changed from 8 cylinder to a 10 cylinder car in order to compete with the E55 and the RS6. I don't think you know a lot about this topic. Admitting it will save us all time. If on the other hand, you know something, I am eager to learn..........so far you are not looking very knowledgeable. You are more into hero worshipping a company than talking about the specifics of the upgrade. If brabus offers you 5HP at $10K, will you buy it?

Ted
Old 03-26-2003, 09:18 AM

ML 320 CDI
Concerning the ECU on the B9 kit, I'm not sure but I think that it's modified. I believe you can't change camshaft without changing the ECU program.
For Mr Baldwin, the RS6 has a 4.2 V8 bi-turbo engine and if you don't see the difference between n.a a car tuned with a Kleeman compressor and a MB/AMG car originaly built with a compressor, ok forget what I have said and go for a kleeman car.
I have bought the D4 kit for my ML 270 CDI even if it costs 2800$ instead of all the kit that you can find everywhere for 800$ with the same power increase.
I love my benz and I want the best for it even if it costs more.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
........... I think we are miscommunicating. My point is that even AMG has moved to forced induction rather than normal aspiration to generate additional HP just like Kleemann does. So if you have a quarrel with Kleemann's forced induction approach, then you should have the same quarrel with the SL55 AMG. If you don't, then you are being inconsistent. As far as the RS6, I meant to say that it is an * cylinder car with a turbo charger, but that really has nothing to do with the debate.

Ted
Old 03-26-2003, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK320
i think Brabus and Kleemann they are tuning MB car in differnet directions !
i can get B9 kit for around 3.8K US but still a bit expensive, i think i will go with Brembo break kit
I dont' really like SC stuff becuase i have bad experience with the 230K engine i m afride about SC or turbo engine, I would rather pay more to get B9 or bigger displacement engine. This is what i think not to offence any SC engine owner ! peace !
Old 03-26-2003, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R170
Paul, you keep digging yourself further into a hole you won't be able to get out of unless you start talking some sense.

Kleemann uses very, VERY similar technology to MB/AMG. They both use Twin-screw lysholm superchargers. The difference between MB/AMG and Kleemann? The Kleemann Kompressor is much more sufficient. At much lower boost levels (7.5 psi) the Kleemann supercharged 3.2L V6 creates nearly as much power as the AMG S/C V6. Kleemann: 331, AMG: 349. How, the Kleemann Kompressor's Intercooling system is a work of genious. It is incredibly efficient. But I can see how Kleemann is the unprofessional and couldn't hold a candle to Brabus... i'm guessing this picture (if you can't tell... its a Brabus modified (increased displacement) 5.8L Kleemann Supercharged V8 G-Wagen...) would probably make you cry blasphemy.

Last edited by Dave OH; 03-26-2003 at 10:38 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: thinking about buying Brabus B9 kit for my CLK320