Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Muffler for HP?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 10:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muffler for HP?

Has anyone here with a CLK 430 changed their muffler to a 55? Did you do a before and after dyno? This would really help out. I know that a supersprint muffler on a 430 NA makes no gains, curious if genuine AMG does.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
what does it matter whether it was done before or after dyno?
Old 02-04-2004, 10:35 AM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
Originally posted by ahopeter
what does it matter whether it was done before or after dyno?
I believe the question was whether anyone who has upgraded their muffler checked to see if there was a HP gain/loss by doing a dynomometer check of the HP before doing the upgrade, then running the car on a dynomometer after the muffler was installed.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

oh.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
It's a combination of several things...if you change to a free flow exhaust, you'll gain a few horses maybe 5, barely noticeable. Add free flow air filters, you get a little more, and you take it from there.
I have 300 HP now, and will be installing the powerchip soon to go to 325 HP.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:12 PM
Banned

With stock exhaust I laid 223 down on the rollers. With chip and 55 airbox I made 250 and change. If anyone has done exhaust on their 430's how do you like it? what company did you use for exhaust?, and do you have any pics of the shinny piece?
Old 02-07-2004, 12:58 AM

AMG C43, 1999
What Chip did you use in your CLK430?

Can you print the dyno runs?

Thanks,

Jeff

Trending Topics

Old 02-08-2004, 06:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
.................the simple truth is that contrary to many claims, changing your axhaust will NOT add any HP to your car, period. Any one that claims otherwise should publish before and after dynographs showing same environmental conditions, not just quote numbers.

Ted
Old 02-09-2004, 11:06 PM

Smile Re: Muffler for HP?

What Gain means bottleneck break thru.
Muffler is not the bottleneck of exhaust, why should it gain alone ?
Old 02-10-2004, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Muffler for HP?

"muffler for hp?"

...sure a muffler will give you some hp...if its got NOS bolted onto the end of it.
Old 02-14-2004, 03:24 PM

The exhaust system (including the manifolds, catalysts, tubing, transitions, resonators, silencers, muffler and tips) performs multiple functions including sound control, emissions and power output.

Most stock systems use relatively small diameter tubing to maintain high velocity in the system. Velocity creates flow direction inertia and benefits low to mid RPM torque/power. It does this in many ways not the least of which by reducing the tendancy for exhaust to back flow. This is one of the reasons a larger pipe diameter will often reduce low to mid RPM torque/power.

As Shine noted the muffler is only one of the components. By changing it you will impact the rest of the system in some way. If the impact enhances flow in the other parts you can gain power but the opposite can also happen. Sound gain does NOT mean power gain. Unless the muffler is a severe restriction relative to the rest of the system do not expect much change either way. When I take my car to the track I actually remove the last 2 mufflers (duals at the bumper) mostly for the weight savings. I suggest you remove your muffler if it can be done without stressing the rest of the system (check hanger location) and see how the car sounds and the engine responds. If you like it, a high flow muffler will be similar and of course slightly quieter.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
.........I understand the theory, we all do. However, do you have any objective data that what you did ACTUALLY increased HP in any way? As you know in the world of performance tunning, theory seldom translates to actuality. Instead, the proponents of various mods simply "feel" that the car is faster......which of course it isn't. I don't have a problem with this, since each one is wellcome to enjoy their car as they see fit. However buyers need to be clearly informed that the mod does not gain HP......instead tunners do the opposite. So, like I said earlier I am looking forward to someone actually posting a dynograph of a befor and after improvement in HP after changing an exhaust component.

Ted
Old 02-20-2004, 03:31 PM

Ted, I do not have any dynojet numbers and I am not claiming a power increase on my car for the muffler removal. As I said, primarily for weight savings. I have done back to back track testing of my air box mod and it yielded a consistent 1/2 a mph gain in trap speed. I had both my modified box and a stock box and made multiple runs with both configuration. On a car like mine each MPH is equivilant to around 10rwhp so I estimate 5rwhp with this mod. I didn't want to leave my mufflers lying trackside for fear of them dissapearing so I did not do this with them. I also have a GTech Pro Competition that give the dyno graph but it is not consistant/accurate enough to measure the few HP that the muffler delete gains... if any.

As far as understanding the theory... I would disagree that "everyone" does. IMHO exhaust design is largely misunderstood. Like the whole backpressure wives tale.