Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Renntech Performance Package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 55
Renntech Performance Package

Has anyone heard anything or tried the Renntech Stage I performance package. It consists of a high flow intake and computer software. Renntech claims that you gain 30 hp and 30 ft-lbs of torque from the upgrade. Do the gains sound reasonable for what the package consists of?
Old 04-03-2002, 01:59 AM

CLK 500
The gains seem ok i think. an upsolute chip will give you better gains (upsolute.com) without an intake. (430)
i'm thinking of doing it for my 320. it will give me 15-20HP and 20-25ft-lbs torque for about $400.

How much is the renntech?
Old 04-03-2002, 04:10 PM

CLK 55
The package costs around $3,500. It seems like the only upgrade for the 55 other than the supercharger. I'm told that the chip is undetectable to the service department, and renntech provides a one year warranty.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:17 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Saif
The package costs around $3,500. It seems like the only upgrade for the 55 other than the supercharger. I'm told that the chip is undetectable to the service department, and renntech provides a one year warranty.
Renntech + stage 1 package + 30hp for = $3,500.00 sounds ok i guess?
Old 04-03-2002, 10:48 PM

CLK 500
Seems a bit high to me. you can chip the 55 for less than a Grand...
Old 04-03-2002, 10:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Seems wrong to me, I recently visited Renntech's website and they are charging 5,450.00 for Stage 1.

Seems like they are seriously overcharging people here.
Old 04-04-2002, 01:23 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Secret HP

Heres an easy way to get more HP from your MBZ. All MBZ's shipped here are set up at a "baseline" adaptive ign setting. Roll down to your local MBZ dealer (where you have a friend) and ask them to get out the Star Diagnose machine and plug it in to your car. Go through the engine controls, ME2.8 menu and reset the adaptive ingnition setting to 93 octane. Dont worry this is a EURO antiknock index- equates to approx 91 here. It will advance the timing 6 degrees across the board- good for quite a few hp on the 55 engine.

Plop in a "freeflow" airfilter element and your close to the coveted $3K performance packages.
Old 04-04-2002, 05:58 AM

w203 c230K 2002
Re: Secret HP

Originally posted by KLEEMANN
Heres an easy way to get more HP from your MBZ. All MBZ's shipped here are set up at a "baseline" adaptive ign setting. Roll down to your local MBZ dealer (where you have a friend) and ask them to get out the Star Diagnose machine and plug it in to your car. Go through the engine controls, ME2.8 menu and reset the adaptive ingnition setting to 93 octane. Dont worry this is a EURO antiknock index- equates to approx 91 here. It will advance the timing 6 degrees across the board- good for quite a few hp on the 55 engine.

Plop in a "freeflow" airfilter element and your close to the coveted $3K performance packages.
Your advise is some what correct but not really. We set up most of our stage one cars at Brumos to the 93 octain gate. It does not even come close to the changes in the Renntech performance upgrade. Renntech is not a "Hacked Chip" they buy the computer code and modify it by thier own Dyno testing.

Dyno's are a good tool, but the end game is driveability. Renntech has proven over and over that it is a real performance tuner not a performance TUNA. There are several chip tuners out there right now that will post unrealistic "Dyno gains", or that will promote fundamentally unsound modifications that will ultimately will cause damage to your engine.

You will not be disappointed going with Renntech.

Randy
Old 04-04-2002, 06:01 AM

w203 c230K 2002
Originally posted by pocholin
Seems wrong to me, I recently visited Renntech's website and they are charging 5,450.00 for Stage 1.

Seems like they are seriously overcharging people here.
The Stage 1 package was on a promotional special (3495.00) through the end of March 5450.00 is the price other wise.

Randy
Old 04-04-2002, 06:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
Kleemann
I have an E55 in Australia that is run exclusively on Shell Optimax 98 octane premium unleaded. Are there any further ignition advance settings to take advantage of this fuel?
Thks
Old 04-04-2002, 11:01 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Re: Re: Secret HP

Originally posted by renncpe

Your advise is some what correct but not really. We set up most of our stage one cars at Brumos to the 93 octain gate. It does not even come close to the changes in the Renntech performance upgrade. Renntech is not a "Hacked Chip" they buy the computer code and modify it by thier own Dyno testing.

Dyno's are a good tool, but the end game is driveability. Renntech has proven over and over that it is a real performance tuner not a performance TUNA. There are several chip tuners out there right now that will post unrealistic "Dyno gains", or that will promote fundamentally unsound modifications that will ultimately will cause damage to your engine.

You will not be disappointed going with Renntech.

Randy
Please do not misunderstand what Im saying- I am in no way knocking RennTECHs R&D, products, performance, etc. Perhaps I should have worded my post differently. Just because I say "coveted $3K performance packages" does it mean RennTECH- No, it covers quite a large base. If I bring up a price to performance correlation it doesnt mean I think RennTECH is "TUNA".

I have used the technique I described- It works, the power is there as is the driveability- its not 30hp, I never said it was. But it is close to 20hp peak.

I will say this however: I have, many times, been contacted by people that claim to have called RennTECH in the past and recieved an earfull blasting KLEEMANN. "unreliable" "unreal hp claims" "engine wont last" etc. Its too bad you cant sell your products on their own merit without first resorting to bad mouthing what someone else is doing. Have you ever even SEEN a KLEEMANN car?- much less driven one?

Thankfully there are plenty of options for MBZ tuning- plenty of pie for everyone.

Last edited by Brandon @ Kleemann; 04-04-2002 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-04-2002, 11:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL350
Seems to me you are just as guilty KLEEMANN. In a thread called RENNtech Performance package you elude to a "coveted 3K performance package" as avide board members to add a K&N filter and and change the ignition setting instead.

Well that's not going to do 1/4 of what a performance package from Renntech does.
Old 04-04-2002, 12:27 PM

w203 c230K 2002
Re: Re: Re: Secret HP

Originally posted by KLEEMANN

Please do not misunderstand what Im saying- I am in no way knocking RennTECHs R&D, products, performance, etc. Perhaps I should have worded my post differently. Just because I say "coveted $3K performance packages" does it mean RennTECH- No, it covers quite a large base. If I bring up a price to performance correlation it doesnt mean I think RennTECH is "TUNA".

I was responding in general. Yes the technique does work but the gains are only a small part of the overall performance gained by engine tuning. I will not share much detail about the different ways that the chip is changed from its original programming, but I am sure you understand that. I was not implying that you “promote fundamentally unsound modifications that will ultimately will cause damage to your engine”. I just wanted to point up that there are those that do. There are also those that claim a 30 HP spike over a 100 rpm range as a 30 HP gain. We both know that is bogus, I really think that it’s hard for some one to find the facts with all the “Marketing” out there.

Randy
Old 04-04-2002, 12:30 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Agreed-

I agree.
Old 04-04-2002, 12:51 PM

KLEEMANN C230K
I don't think anyone is saying the other is not a "real" tuner.

No one can say RENNtech doesn't produce astonishing vehicle tuning.

And I challenge anyone to say Kleemann is anything but amazing!

Now, the problem we have is that people are taking one sentence/statement and dissmissing everything else stated by said person.

RENNtech = tuning product solution / $3000 @ 30hp gain

Kleemann = minor solution / $80-120 (1 hr shop time) @ ~20hp gain

Just seems to me KLEEMANN cares about the consumer a little more, giving out free/cheap hp, when he could easily pimp his wares.

I know many people can see my fondness for Kleemann's product, and it is for the very reason "Here, I'll show you how to get a little more" etc. OH, Yeah, and the fact they have the best hp/$. I am a shameless supporter of the Kleemann product, but if you owned one you would be too.

RENNtech would have been my choice for tuning if Kleemann weren't around, simple.

Sorry for the rant.

John.
Old 04-04-2002, 03:30 PM

w203 c230K 2002
Originally posted by dj-po

Just seems to me KLEEMANN cares about the consumer a little more, giving out free/cheap hp, when he could easily pimp his wares.

Sorry for the rant.

John.
dj-po

I posted this procedure including screen shots from the Mercedes computer system on this site months ago. I have fielded several calls from people trying to get there local dealers to make the changes.

fuel settings post

I enjoy working with people that want to enhance the Mercedes experience. A properly tuned engine will have a better power band and will enhance the drivability of the vehicle there is not a better solution available for the price and power gain than the on offered @ 3495.00 for the v8 CLK’s . Come by and drive one. We will have some fun.

Randy
Old 04-04-2002, 11:06 PM

CLK 500
Originally posted by renncpe

dj-po

I posted this procedure including screen shots from the Mercedes computer system on this site months ago. I have fielded several calls from people trying to get there local dealers to make the changes.

fuel settings post

I enjoy working with people that want to enhance the Mercedes experience. A properly tuned engine will have a better power band and will enhance the drivability of the vehicle there is not a better solution available for the price and power gain than the on offered @ 3495.00 for the v8 CLK’s . Come by and drive one. We will have some fun.

Randy
Can you tell us what those people experienced when they tried to get the Dealers to make the changes.. thx..
Old 04-05-2002, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I read the post this morning while my car was still at Mercedes for an alternator repair. I called the service department, who promised to do the changes today. They were interested because although they knew it could be adjusted, I am the first customer to ask and they too are interested in seeing the difference it makes. I have a Gtech Pro performance computer so I will be able to give improvements in 0-100Kmh and 0-400M currentently 5.4 and 13.6sec respectively.
Old 04-08-2002, 12:18 PM

ML55 AMG
Question Fuel Re-map

I took my 2002 ml55 in this morning for service and asked them to change the fuel management settings. They told me they could not do it because it was against the law (They said it violated federal emmissions standards). Is this true? Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks.
Old 04-08-2002, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I got my car back last night. 0-100Kmh 5.2sec 0-400m 13.3sec.
There is a definate measurable improvement in performance. The ignition timing has nothing to do with emmissions, but they may be right about fuel settings. It may be easier to ask for your car to be "optimized" for premium (98RON) unleaded. This is the official term for the modifications and what has been written in my service record.
Old 04-10-2002, 12:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
I asked my service technitian to make that change along with the top speed removal (if possible) and lowering my shift points 150 rpm (since 1-2nd shift sometimes hits the rev limitter), his first reply was that it couldn't be done because of emmisions. After talking to him a little more he said he ws going to check with the service director to try to get his approval and "do it as research".

I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 09-16-2002, 03:43 PM
apb

08 S550, 10 GLK350, 05 Clk500
You are not supposed to exceed 55mph in Houston for emission reasons! Seems like you would not contribute much by changing the shift points.
Old 09-16-2002, 04:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by apb
You are not supposed to exceed 55mph in Houston for emission reasons! ....
LOL, do you live in houston? if you do please tell me who drives 55 mph as maximum speed, much less who drives 52 mph??? heck who drives 60 mph?
Emissions are not going to be lowered by staying on the road longer because you are driving 55 mph, or by driving 80 mph for a shorter period of time, people and industry need to work together, specially trucks and old cars.
Old 09-16-2002, 05:01 PM
apb

08 S550, 10 GLK350, 05 Clk500
Just pulling your leg!
I live in Austin and don't slow below 70 when approaching Houston. I represent industry on environmental issues in Houston, lowering the speed limit was ridiculous but good PR with EPA. . . At least they removed the provision that would have only allowed you to mow in the heat of the day.
Old 09-16-2002, 05:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by apb
Just pulling your leg!
I live in Austin and don't slow below 70 when approaching Houston. I represent industry on environmental issues in Houston, lowering the speed limit was ridiculous but good PR with EPA. . . At least they removed the provision that would have only allowed you to mow in the heat of the day.
uhmm, I didn't know about that mowing law
that was a good one, I did think you were kidding but at the same time I wasn't sure.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Renntech Performance Package