Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Engine heat reduction from tubular exhaust headers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 04:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK55
Question Engine heat reduction from tubular exhaust headers?

Here's a quick question for the more knowledgeable motorheads here. As anyone who's seen them know, the stock 209 CLK55 exhaust manifolds are pretty pathetic looking, being a "log" type of manifold with no real primaries to speak of. I know that looks can be deceiving, but I have to think that they don't flow very well at all. I'm seriously considering buying a supercharger from either Kleeman or HPS, but one of my biggest concerns is reliabilty, and specifically the higher engine temperatures that forced induction brings...

So I'm trying to think of as many ideas as I can as to how the engine temps can be reduced, and among other ideas, it occured to me that nice, tubular, equal-length exhaust headers may help reduce engine heat in addition to providing a little bit more power...

My theory, and question here is that since "backpressure" really is just extremely hot exhaust gases, wouldn't evacuating them help the engine run cooler, especially if backpressure is finding it's way back into the combustion chamber during valve overlap? I'm assuming that the cats are probably the biggest restriction, and I would most likely replace those as well, but I'm wondering if the increased distance from the exhaust port to the cats themselves may be enough to produce a drop in exhaust temperature ?

Obviously a larger radiator would be the best way to reduce engine temperatures, I don't know of anyone that makes one. What I would like to accomplish is to bring the engine temperature back down to stock levels after the compressor has been installed...

Any ideas? Do I have too much time on my hands?

Best regards,
Matt

Last edited by AMG///Merc; 10-27-2004 at 04:34 AM.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well a good friend of mine has a Kleeman SC'd 2001 CLK55. This setup is very nice except for the waterpump design. I just removed the whole SC from the car. It should be getting sent back to Kleepman this week for replacement. Anyway, as for cooling, the car runs very well with this kit installed, no signs of the cooling system not being able to keep up.
Some things that you might want to conisder when adding the SC, just replace your coolant with a higher percentage of water in the mix. Just watch your freezing temps.
Also, im sure these are included with the kit, but a heat range cooler spark plugs.
And finally, for your headers, you should consider getting them coated, this will keep the heat in your exhaust and out of the engine bay. This also improves the flow of hot exhaust gases out of the car, which will make you more power.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:07 PM

08 Silver Lexus IS250 (manual),73 air cooled super beetle-- black 2004 230 ss is gone
You can wrap the headers for about $50. This shud lower temp in engine compartment and you s/b able to find wrap in any speed shop
Old 11-01-2004, 12:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'07 Carrera S, '31 A 5W hot rod, 4Runner. Sold CLK55
Angry

Originally Posted by Rocket SLC
Well a good friend of mine has a Kleeman SC'd 2001 CLK55. This setup is very nice except for the waterpump design. I just removed the whole SC from the car. It should be getting sent back to Kleepman this week for replacement.

What happened with the SC??

As for the headers, that would be the first thing I would replace on my 02 CLK55 but the only place I've found that makes them are Kleemann, and theirs are 'shorty headers' unequal length, and along with the down tubes are $3,200!! Headers for any domestic V-8 run about $700. So I'm stuck with the log-type design as well.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:46 AM

AMG 55, 335i, Mini Cooper S
Originally Posted by H-MAN
What happened with the SC??

As for the headers, that would be the first thing I would replace on my 02 CLK55 but the only place I've found that makes them are Kleemann, and theirs are 'shorty headers' unequal length, and along with the down tubes are $3,200!! Headers for any domestic V-8 run about $700. So I'm stuck with the log-type design as well.
I know Evosport said they are going to have their shorty headers ready by December for around 2k and you can put a $250 deposit. I know they all ready have headers for the new 55's that are supercharged, but not quite yet for the N/A's

Does anyone know what kinds of gains I would expect, HP & TQ with Evosport shorty headers with a N/A motor. I'm just wondering if it worth the money for the gain.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by AMG///Merc
Here's a quick question for the more knowledgeable motorheads here. As anyone who's seen them know, the stock 209 CLK55 exhaust manifolds are pretty pathetic looking, being a "log" type of manifold with no real primaries to speak of. I know that looks can be deceiving, but I have to think that they don't flow very well at all. I'm seriously considering buying a supercharger from either Kleeman or HPS, but one of my biggest concerns is reliabilty, and specifically the higher engine temperatures that forced induction brings...

So I'm trying to think of as many ideas as I can as to how the engine temps can be reduced, and among other ideas, it occured to me that nice, tubular, equal-length exhaust headers may help reduce engine heat in addition to providing a little bit more power...

My theory, and question here is that since "backpressure" really is just extremely hot exhaust gases, wouldn't evacuating them help the engine run cooler, especially if backpressure is finding it's way back into the combustion chamber during valve overlap? I'm assuming that the cats are probably the biggest restriction, and I would most likely replace those as well, but I'm wondering if the increased distance from the exhaust port to the cats themselves may be enough to produce a drop in exhaust temperature ?

Obviously a larger radiator would be the best way to reduce engine temperatures, I don't know of anyone that makes one. What I would like to accomplish is to bring the engine temperature back down to stock levels after the compressor has been installed...

Any ideas? Do I have too much time on my hands?

Best regards,
Matt
Matt I was just wondering why would want to supercharger your CLK 55 with a Kleeman or HPS, isn't your car factory supercharged or did I miss something?
Old 11-26-2004, 05:03 PM

'87 300D - 1995 M3
I know more about American V8's, but long tubes are really the only way to go. Shorty headers really wont gain you much, and it definately isnt worth 2k to put them on.
Just my .02
Old 11-28-2004, 08:55 AM

FX35 plus
I suffered engine heat after S/Ced.
Coolant temp went upto 98+ C in a traffic & hot summer day (> 38 C)
I don't quite understand, a smaller engine bay like C32
with higher boost stay cooler than my W209 + K.
C32 keeps good 90C pretty in the same above condition.

Here are my solution
(1) Headers/cats upgrade,they provide better flow to move the heat quickly as your theory said.
(2) Extra radiator for engine cooling (not I/C)
(3) Partial heat shield on the headers

Now I enjoy driving it in summer, the coolant temp keeps
well under 92 C.

I did another test to prove that factory exhaust is a
bottleneck.
Vmax running,it pushed the engine to its limit & the charged engine w stock exhaust
burn the coolant temp over 100C which is the vapor point
of pure water.
With my solution, it stays 95C, the heat is moved efficiently & keep my HEART cool
Old 11-28-2004, 09:14 AM

FX35 plus
anthoer crazy idea I've done to my car, FYR

Copy the CLK-DTM solution, I put a 25L (twice capacity as factory coolant) water tank in the spare tire well, hook up a pump & pipes thru side skirts,
connect it to the engine cooling system, the pump switch is in the ashtray.
this's a super cooling loop used in case factory cooling can't hold the temp anymore after very hard driving
or Vmax running.
it drops the coolant temp as low as you have just cold started the engine in the morning

Too complicate + reliability concern this loop maybe, I removed them when the new solution came out.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:03 AM

03 CLK55
Smile Sorry, I missed your post somehow...

Originally Posted by E55Cent
Matt I was just wondering why would want to supercharger your CLK 55 with a Kleeman or HPS, isn't your car factory supercharged or did I miss something?
Anyway, as I'm sure that you've learned by now, the CLK55 does not have the oem supercharger that's used in the current CL55, E55, SL55, etc... I wish that were case! The CLK55 has the same engine as your car, albeit with 20 more horsepower. I'm sure that the CLK55 wasn't supercharged because it would be signifigantly quicker than the more expensive cars already due to it's lower weight. I'm not really looking to make the ultimate street racer, in so much as I would just like to be able to drive in the fasion that I prefer without having to dip into the throttle as deep. I'd just like to be able to surf a monstrous wave of torque. It makes you able to go faster without as much noise and drama...

Best regards,
Matt
Old 12-05-2004, 05:14 AM

03 CLK55
Lightbulb Thanks much for all of the suggestions!!

Originally Posted by Shine_1023
I suffered engine heat after S/Ced.
Coolant temp went upto 98+ C in a traffic & hot summer day (> 38 C)
I don't quite understand, a smaller engine bay like C32
with higher boost stay cooler than my W209 + K.
C32 keeps good 90C pretty in the same above condition.

Here are my solution
(1) Headers/cats upgrade,they provide better flow to move the heat quickly as your theory said.
(2) Extra radiator for engine cooling (not I/C)
(3) Partial heat shield on the headers

Now I enjoy driving it in summer, the coolant temp keeps
well under 92 C.

I did another test to prove that factory exhaust is a
bottleneck.
Vmax running,it pushed the engine to its limit & the charged engine w stock exhaust
burn the coolant temp over 100C which is the vapor point
of pure water.
With my solution, it stays 95C, the heat is moved efficiently & keep my HEART cool
I apologize for the late response, and thanks for the suggestions. I'm still on the fence about the whole supercharger idea. The dilema is A.) The Money, as in I really shouldn't spend as much money that is really needed to supercharge a car properly, and B.) I'm debating about possibly getting the new M5 when that comes out. Note that I realize that the M5 isn't the "torque monster" that I described in my post above, but for that car with that engine, I'll make an exception. The latter diilema wouldn't be one if wasn't for the M5's rumored $90000 MSRP. Allot of things will need to come together for that to happen, and I'm guessing that I'll need at least $40k to get into one, whereas I could make my CLK55 faster than the M5 for half that amount. I don't know. It seems like I change my mind every hour, so for now I'm just going to sit on it, at least until I learn more about HPS's new intercooled supercharger. I know that the Kleeman system is without any doubt a fantastic system, but I believe that the people at HPS, are very sharp, and I really like their philosophy of making Benz tuning available to the masses. From what pictures that I'ver seen of their previous kits, it looks like they are of excellent craftmanship and quality. I'm looking forward to hearing more about it. Once again, thanks everyone for your input!

Best regards,
Matt
Old 12-05-2004, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by AMG///Merc
I apologize for the late response, and thanks for the suggestions. I'm still on the fence about the whole supercharger idea. The dilema is A.) The Money, as in I really shouldn't spend as much money that is really needed to supercharge a car properly, and B.) I'm debating about possibly getting the new M5 when that comes out. Note that I realize that the M5 isn't the "torque monster" that I described in my post above, but for that car with that engine, I'll make an exception. The latter diilema wouldn't be one if wasn't for the M5's rumored $90000 MSRP. Allot of things will need to come together for that to happen, and I'm guessing that I'll need at least $40k to get into one, whereas I could make my CLK55 faster than the M5 for half that amount. I don't know. It seems like I change my mind every hour, so for now I'm just going to sit on it, at least until I learn more about HPS's new intercooled supercharger. I know that the Kleeman system is without any doubt a fantastic system, but I believe that the people at HPS, are very sharp, and I really like their philosophy of making Benz tuning available to the masses. From what pictures that I'ver seen of their previous kits, it looks like they are of excellent craftmanship and quality. I'm looking forward to hearing more about it. Once again, thanks everyone for your input!
Best regards,
Matt
Hey Matt,
I love BMW's and often miss my 540i and still dream abount owning an M5. The BMW is a much better handling car, but it is not as well built as MB. The new M5 will be at least 90K but the waiting list is fairly long so just getting your hands on one might be impossible unless you pay 20-30k over. If I were you I would get the HPS system (even though Adam never returns calls) with headers, the car will be plenty fast, you might even have to upgrade your brakes to handle the power. MB are wonderful cars for comfort, power, torque and class, but handling and good driver feed back is not one of them. If want a very fast car with great looks, stick with your car a supercharge it
My 2 1/2 cents