Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Octane Booster. Does it work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 09:23 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Octane Booster. Does it work?

hello fellows

iīm new in this forum and first of all i have to admit that iīm feeling quite comfortable here. so i think itīs a good place to be. please excuse my english but itīs just what i learned here at school. i hope it isnīt too bad.

proceeding with my actual question: i read a lot about octane boosters here and on a few other boards. here in germany thereīs no stuff available that can be compared with this i think. i looked through some websites, selling this products, but iīm not quite sure how these products work, what they do to the engine and if they do have a positive effekt regarding to an increasement of power.
perhaps some of you know more about it or can post a few sites where i can read and learn more about this stuff. iīd be grateful for your support.

cya
André
Old 12-18-2004, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E 320
Yes they work to a point but your motor does not need anymore than the factory calls for unless you have upgrades such as advanced Timing, Turbo, NOsor Supercharger. Octaine rating shows the fuel ability to fight off Pre ignition (knock) in relation to compression. More Compression more octaine needed to keep out the knock.

Brian
Old 12-18-2004, 02:09 PM
Almost a Member!

am i right that the octane boosters are additives you dump into the tank together with the gas? if thatīs right these additives canīt reconstruct the molecular strukture of the gas. right? so they donīt really rise the octane number but discourage the gas from igniting?
Old 12-18-2004, 06:22 PM

E 320
Yeah Rev that is pretty much how it goes. I had a 1989 Turbo Trans Am and we could use a mixture of zylene and Marvels Mistery oil (for lube of fuel parts) and run more boost due to the octaine rating of the zylene. We get it from Martin Senior paint stores. I miss the TTA Bone stock 5.5 0 to 60 and quiet as any other 3.8 V-6

Brian
Old 12-18-2004, 06:26 PM
Almost a Member!

allright. now u know a little more. thanks 4 taking your time.

cya
André
Old 12-18-2004, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Over the counter "octane boosters" are complete gimic they will only raise octane a few points aka decimal places. a gallon of toulene will ensure you are running at your maximum potential. I did see dyno results on my E36 M3, the numbers were roughly a few HP and torque higher but what really was amazing was how smooth and consistant the powerband was. all three dyno graphs were EXACTLY the same, when they did a print out of the dyno graphs of all three you could only see one line. pretty amazing.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:27 AM
Almost a Member!

octane booster

hmmm... a question that's close to my heart....

in the uk we have standard vanilla petrol at 95 RON, optimax is available at 98 RON - and shell would have you believe it makes a 5% difference to your cars performance - experience tells me it made a lot of difference in a RAV 4, an SLK230 and 996 - each one noticeably quicker and quieter with 98 RON.

funny thing is my brand new SLK350 doesn't seem to be that different, but then i haven't really pushed the new motor yet, perhaps it'll become more obvious later.

in the UK you used to be able to get some octane booster based on toluene i think - i used to use it (on the road actually...) with an Renault 5 turbo MKII. this also had a beneficial effect...

this thread seems to cover the relevant ground: http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/sh...0&page=1&pp=15
Old 12-19-2004, 12:10 PM

E 320
octane is not going to give you horsepower in any shape. Only if you have knock and your ECM is pulling out timing to prevent the knock.

Brian
Old 12-23-2004, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
I've used Torco race fuel concentrate with good results.

www.torcoracefuels.com
Old 12-23-2004, 02:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
On the newer advanced engines, it's not really needed.
I suggest spending your money on modifications that'll actually stay consistent.