R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Rear audio controls

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear audio controls

So, I'm a bit confused... we know the "Rear Seat Entertainment" option is delayed. According to this brochure: http://www.calibermotors.com/FutureM...Class_my06.pdf
it seems like that's DIFFERENT than having "Independent audio source in rear control panel for second row seats" - see page 5.

Does that mean that if you have the rear console unit but don't have the Rear DVD Entertainment package, then you still have multizone audio with headphone jacks for the rear seat occupants?

I've seen R-Class units with the H/K sound system but did NOT have the rear center console and definitely did not see headphone jacks or audio controls back there, only HVAC controls.

Anyone know more details on this? I'm fine with not having rear DVD screens, but still would like to have kids in rear be able to have headphones for their radio or CD while wife and I listen to Sirius or iPod up front.

Thanks,
josh
Old 08-15-2005, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by joshg
So, I'm a bit confused... we know the "Rear Seat Entertainment" option is delayed. According to this brochure: http://www.calibermotors.com/FutureM...Class_my06.pdf
it seems like that's DIFFERENT than having "Independent audio source in rear control panel for second row seats" - see page 5.

Does that mean that if you have the rear console unit but don't have the Rear DVD Entertainment package, then you still have multizone audio with headphone jacks for the rear seat occupants?

I've seen R-Class units with the H/K sound system but did NOT have the rear center console and definitely did not see headphone jacks or audio controls back there, only HVAC controls.

Anyone know more details on this? I'm fine with not having rear DVD screens, but still would like to have kids in rear be able to have headphones for their radio or CD while wife and I listen to Sirius or iPod up front.

Thanks,
josh
The BYO site states that there is volume control for rear seat passengers when selecting the HK Entertainment system. I don't see any control on closeups of the front seat center console rear area where the rear climate controls are located though. I don't think there will be earphone connections unless you select the TV option. Still kind of a mystery where the rear audio control is located for the rear seat passengers. I don't think the Rear Console without the TV has any controls...just storage space, although I guess they could be down on the bottom where the DVD slot would be located???
Old 08-15-2005, 07:58 PM

that's odd... i've been in several R's that had the HK system and none had a rear-passenger-accessible volume control that I could see... and I was in these cars a long time and looking specifically for things like this.

Where on the BYOR site did you see that info about rear volume controls coming with the HK audio option?
Old 08-15-2005, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

that's odd... i've been in several R's that had the HK system and none had a rear-passenger-accessible volume control that I could see... and I was in these cars a long time and looking specifically for things like this.

Where on the BYOR site did you see that info about rear volume controls coming with the HK audio option?
Go to the Option page and click on the Entertainment System Detail line. It states it clearly in the last sentence that passengers have controls for volume. I also have the screen on my web site in the My Order album on page 2. I can't figure it out either.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:18 PM

yep, you're right... it was right there. Odd that I couldn't find those controls in the vehicles I was in since the option does NOT say that rear audio controls requires rear center console... it should have been somewhere obvious, but wasn't. Certainly possible these were not true final production cars and therefore just ommitted certain things, but usually once they are training dealers they have final-production vehicles.

Also not clear from this BYO detail page if Option #360 gives you multiZONE audio and/or headphone jacks... it's possible it's just a volume control for the master audio zone, which I think I'd NOT want my kids to have!
Old 08-15-2005, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yep, you're right... it was right there. Odd that I couldn't find those controls in the vehicles I was in since the option does NOT say that rear audio controls requires rear center console... it should have been somewhere obvious, but wasn't. Certainly possible these were not true final production cars and therefore just ommitted certain things, but usually once they are training dealers they have final-production vehicles.

Also not clear from this BYO detail page if Option #360 gives you multiZONE audio and/or headphone jacks... it's possible it's just a volume control for the master audio zone, which I think I'd NOT want my kids to have!
When you were inside those cars did you look down under the Rear Console and see if there was any kind of control there? Oops...maybe you said that none had the center console. I know if you have the TV option the Aux jacks and DVD slot are at the base of the console.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
When you were inside those cars did you look down under the Rear Console and see if there was any kind of control there? Oops...maybe you said that none had the center console. I know if you have the TV option the Aux jacks and DVD slot are at the base of the console.
Right... these cars had the H/K option but did not have the rear console. I did check the back of the FRONT console, where the hvac controls are and there was definitely not any audio stuff there.

it's a mystery... for now.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Right... these cars had the H/K option but did not have the rear console. I did check the back of the FRONT console, where the hvac controls are and there was definitely not any audio stuff there.

it's a mystery... for now.
Did you find anything in the small storage area (at least it looks like a storage area) just above the two 12v outlets in the base of the front center console (2nd row side)?

https://mbworld.org/forums/r-class-w251/117059-pics-5-rs-seen-today.html

It looks like a little storage area with a knob on it?
Old 08-16-2005, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is the specific image address:

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...id=58367&stc=1
Old 08-16-2005, 02:22 PM

Did you find anything in the small storage area (at least it looks like a storage area) just above the two 12v outlets in the base of the front center console (2nd row side)?

It looks like a little storage area with a knob on it?
Yes, it was an empty storage area that looked like it would be used for an ashtray or small-object storage. But yes, come to think of it, i think a set of controls could be mounted in there, though none were in the car I sat in.

If I remember right, the "knob" is actually a push-button to open the compartment up... and I think it didn't open all the way, it sort of came out about 45 degrees, hinged at the bottom.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, it was an empty storage area that looked like it would be used for an ashtray or small-object storage. But yes, come to think of it, i think a set of controls could be mounted in there, though none were in the car I sat in.

If I remember right, the "knob" is actually a push-button to open the compartment up... and I think it didn't open all the way, it sort of came out about 45 degrees, hinged at the bottom.
Did that car have the H/K option? If I had a good relationship with sales at the local dealer here I would have them verify it. I am going to send MBUSA a note and see if they will clear this up. They have responded to me within 2 days lately.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is the email I just sent to MBUSA:

I have a R500 build in the first decade of October. In the Entertainment Package (as well as the Premium Package) option it states that “Rear audio controls allow passengers to adjust volume.” Try as we might, no one can locate the controls in the 2nd row seating area or on the rear of the front center console near the climate control console. This is not with the TV option package.

Could you describe the location of the controls, as well as to whether they are individual for each rear passenger? Does the 3rd row passenger have this option? Is there an earphone available or does the volume control work on the main level within the seating area?

Clarification of this feature would assist several interested parties on a online R Class forum.

Thank you.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:36 PM

Did that car have the H/K option? If I had a good relationship with sales at the local dealer here I would have them verify it. I am going to send MBUSA a note and see if they will clear this up. They have responded to me within 2 days lately.
Yes, the car I was in in those pictures DID have the H/K option, which i photographed also... audio controls were not in that little hatch. I look forward to seeing if you get an answer from MBUSA.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:50 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Aren't you guys looking at the wrong console

Isn't that the back of the main console as opposed to the 2nd row add-on, where the controls would be?
Old 08-16-2005, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by carpersn
Isn't that the back of the main console as opposed to the 2nd row add-on, where the controls would be?
Yes, that is what I described to MBUSA (re-read my email to MBUSA.) It is not the Rear Center Console. Believe me joshg and I know exactly what location we are describing...:-)
Old 08-16-2005, 08:07 PM

Yep... to catch you up carpersn, since the rear-audio controls are available WITHOUT buying the 2nd-row console unit, that means the controls have to be located somewhere else. We do know that the 2nd-row console DOES house the 2nd-row DVD option equipment (since you MUST get the 2nd row console if you get rear-seat entertainment/dvd option)...

So our working theory right now is that the "rear audio controls" must be housed at the back of the front-row console unit, in the space that functions like a very large ashtray or storage box at the back of that unit.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:45 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
nevada

jack, i doubt you are ever wrong. forgive the intrusion.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by carpersn
jack, i doubt you are ever wrong. forgive the intrusion.
I have been wrong more times than I care to remember...:-) And your input was not an "intrusion." That's what these forums are for...to express comments and provide information...

If MB would release specific information then these conflicts would not arise. The car is all over the place in the US making appearances, they have posted a BYO site, and released specs and pricing. Why the devil don't they release the brochure so that people trying to make a buying decision have the proper information. Just a minor rant...:-)
Old 08-17-2005, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is a shot of the DVD control when the rear seat TV is installed. This is located at the base of the Optional Rear Center Console.

Old 08-17-2005, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See MBUSA response on new thread just posted on this subject.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Final resolution at https://mbworld.org/forums/r-class-w251/117461-final-volume-control-details.html