R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

7G transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 10:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 S550, 2015 SL550, 2015 Lamborghini Huracan
7G transmission

I have been driving the R for 2 months and it is a wonderful car. However, recently I have noticed that there is a lag in the transmission. When coming to a fast stop and then suddenly step on the acclerator, there is a lag of 2 seconds as if the transmission is thinking. There is absolutely no power during this time and then the power returns. Anybody had a problem like this before?
Old 02-15-2006, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
take it to the dealer, probably valve body issue.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB R500, BMW X-5 4.4i
Known issue with probable fix

We have R500 which suffered many problems since the first day of delivery.

One of which is annoying 3-2 rough downshifting (not 2-1 since it is present in both C and S drive modes) which my SA called "normal" behavior for 7G transmission. However, this known issue with solution.

Ask your SA to look into

TSB Number: T-27-60-68

Good luck

Last edited by Chocomonsters; 03-15-2006 at 02:29 AM.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:59 AM
Almost a Member!

I'm going to order one R so can you tell me what the problems are?? You think I better wait few more months to order??Thanks....btw any pics ??
Old 03-17-2006, 02:07 AM

MB R500, BMW X-5 4.4i
First of all, my wife still loves R500 despite its many problems so far. We have about 2500 miles on it so far. It has had many QA issues so far.

#1: Faulty temp sensor caused the radiator fan to run randomly. Oh boy, does R500 has loud radiator fan when it is running full speed. Inside indoor parking structure, I could hear her driving by as it sounded like airplane landing. It was fixed by our dealer and problem solved.

#2: Rough downshifting from 3rd to 2nd gear when coming to complete stop or rolling stop. This is common in 7G transmission but R500 jerking was excessive. Fixed with valve body replacement (see my other post with service bulletin #)

#3: Left front brake grinding noise. This is mistery so far. It happens randomly on and off. Of course never when we take it in to dealer. Sounds like "metal on metal" grinding which is loud enough to turn other driver's head. Problem not fixed yet.

#4: Passenger side windshield wiper flew off by itself! Faulty connection assembly. Fixed with wiper assembly replacement.

#5: Static noise in built-in Aux port.

Despite of these problems (I question Alabama assembly's QA control), we love our R500. For our need of hauling people around, there isn't any better option in my mind. Surprising for its size and length, R class drives "small" and feels nimble enough.

Must options are: parktronic and airmatic.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:42 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Sorry to hear that you're having so many problems. I have 7,000 miles on my R500 so far and it has never been back to the dealership. It's been a great vehicle.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:15 PM

More Transmission Issues

Has anyone had transmission issues with the R500. I have had my R500 for about a week and the thing shifts poorly at times. I noticed problems in all of the R's that I took for test drives before taking delivery of mine. One R350 "kicked down" into first whenever coming to a stop (at a light or sign). This was really unnerving since the car lurged before finally stopping. Noticed it only in "sport" mode. In comfort mode it was fine. I know "Sport" mode starts in 1st gear but this cannot be normal. One R500 with 500 miles had a shot solenoid and would shift rough.

Mine shifts rough in "comfort" mode, it seems fine in "sport" mode.

Dealer told me the tranny must be driven up to 5000 miles before adapting to my driving style. This sound like a bunch of baloney. If it is true, I am not looking forward to the next 5000 miles. Does this mean that if I keep the car for 3 years that for 6 months or 1/6 of the time of ownership the thing can drive like crap?

As far as I can tell all the 7 speed tranny's are suspect.

Would like to hear some feed back from others with similar problems.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1963 220Sb
Originally Posted by jantrio
Dealer told me the tranny must be driven up to 5000 miles before adapting to my driving style. This sound like a bunch of baloney. If it is true, I am not looking forward to the next 5000 miles. Does this mean that if I keep the car for 3 years that for 6 months or 1/6 of the time of ownership the thing can drive like crap?
The transmission does need time to adapt. I don't think it needs 5000 miles time, but it needs more than a week to figure out your driving style. Give it some more time, and then nif the problem persists take it in, but it is a well-known fact that these transmissions do need time to adapt to your driving....
Old 04-03-2006, 04:39 PM

7G trans

My R downshifts so hard,my passengers look to see who rear ended us.The vehicle has been in the shop a total of seven days over three visits,Dealer says all is normal.3500 miles and I'm ready to dump it.Not worth the trouble of lemon lawing with Mfg.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Almost a Member!

05'Maybach 57,06'R 500,04'Range RoverHSE,06'cls55
Dude something must be seriously wrong with your R. I've driven mine about 5000 miles and not once did the transmission do anything other then nice smoth shifts. Its under warranty go to MB dealer and have them fix it or put another in or have them get you another R
Old 04-03-2006, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by flexcob
My R downshifts so hard,my passengers look to see who rear ended us.The vehicle has been in the shop a total of seven days over three visits,Dealer says all is normal.3500 miles and I'm ready to dump it.Not worth the trouble of lemon lawing with Mfg.
Wow, I'm sorry to hear about that. My R500 is extremely smooth. Something must be wrong with your vehicle. Call Mercedes USA and insist on meeting with a Mercedes rep at the dealership. I've had to do this in the past and I did get results. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:08 PM

Follow up

After two days in the shop(this trip)Dealer stateshe can find nothing wrong with my R,but is willing to replace valve body to "make me happy".Ofcourse,none in stock,he will cal when it arrives. I'm looking at Audi Q7 as replacment for the problematic R.any thoughts?
Old 04-07-2006, 07:34 PM

After two days in the shop(this trip)Dealer stateshe can find nothing wrong with my R,but is willing to replace valve body to "make me happy".Ofcourse,none in stock,he will cal when it arrives. I'm looking at Audi Q7 as replacment for the problematic R.any thoughts?
Call Mercedes Benz USA.

I sat in a Q7 and was not impressed with the interior room or lay out. I'm a huge Audi fan yet was unimpressed.

I hope that everything works out for you. Good luck.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 MB
MY .02 worth

I just took my R-class on an all weekend roadtrip in the hill country. Almost 750 miles! Most of this was spent using the shift buttons on the steering wheel in sport mode... it only got confused one time when I was on / off the power while tapping the shift down button and taking an uphill turn all at the same time... other than that, I have not had a single issue.

More to follow...

Steve
Old 04-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 MB
MY .02 worth

I just took my R-class on an all weekend roadtrip in the hill country. Almost 750 miles! Most of this was spent using the shift buttons on the steering wheel in sport mode... it only got confused one time when I was on / off the power while tapping the shift down button and taking an uphill turn all at the same time... other than that, I have not had a single issue.

More to follow...

Steve