R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

R350 / R500 for $10K below MSRP, for real?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-24-2006, 02:03 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350 / R500 for $10K below MSRP, for real?

Just checked pricing on R350 / R500 at Carsdirect.com with LA zip code (90012).

Carsdirect pricing for R500 was $46,590, almost $10K below MSRP.
Carsdirect pricing for R350 was $39,615, almost $9K below MSRP.

Is this for real? Is MB having such a hard time selling the R?
Old 02-24-2006, 07:16 PM

Yes, I think they are selling poorly. If February sales are like January, MB is looking at sales of around 600-700 units - that's got to be backlogging inventory - hence the discounts. The thing that really burns me about the R is the way MB basically sells it stripped. You have to add tons of options to it to make it a respectable luxury car. Once you add back in all those options, the price blows right by $60K. For value, I think it compares unfavorably to the Audi Q7 (4.2), which, even at MSRP, appears to be a better value.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:43 PM

'03 ML350 Inspiration, '01 SAAB 9-5
Originally Posted by Timothy
Yes, I think they are selling poorly. If February sales are like January, MB is looking at sales of around 600-700 units - that's got to be backlogging inventory - hence the discounts. The thing that really burns me about the R is the way MB basically sells it stripped. You have to add tons of options to it to make it a respectable luxury car. Once you add back in all those options, the price blows right by $60K. For value, I think it compares unfavorably to the Audi Q7 (4.2), which, even at MSRP, appears to be a better value.
This is a problem with all Mercedes vehicles, which they do not want to change. Many of the Japanese competitors are offering the options that many owners want as standard features, such as Xenon lights and sunroof's. kinda irritating that MB is not doing the same..
Old 02-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Almost a Member!

Yes, most Euro lux mfgrs do that. Perhaps Audi could be an exception, given that there's usually more content in their vehicles than MB, BMW.

When you said that "MB basically sells it [the R] stripped", does that mean most of the dealer lot inventory have "stripped" versions? Or, are the "stripped" versions just a marketing tool to get people interested, but that one can almost never find a stripped or low price vehicle?

Old 02-25-2006, 11:56 PM

I meant that if you expected to pay the car's base MSRP, you'd get essentially a stripped car, devoid of most all of the features that one would expect to see as standards in a $50K+ automobile. I'm sure that actual dealer inventory would consist of units packed up with the most popular options. I personally was disappointed to become emotionally invested in the R, only to ultimately see the optioned version price rise more than $15K over base MSRP. That felt to me like a bait/switch. At this point, if it is truly going for $10K less than MSRP, it might be a fair deal, but in the end, I went with a Q7. Ironically, even there I spent a lot on options, but I definitely felt that the base price was fairly well equipped, and that the options were truly that - options that one could take or leave, but if left, you'd still have a real luxury vehicle. At the end of the day, it's probably the horrendous quality issues that I experienced with my M class that scared me off the R. Hopefully, MB has stepped up QC enough to start rebuilding its reputation, especially with regard to the US built vehicles.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:28 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

VIPER
its funny to see this post, because I was driving down 6th Ave after dinner tonight and said to someone, MB is doing pretty well with those R-classes (since I have been seeing quite a few 350's here and there), with these types of rebates I guess I know why.

The options thing is another one, the Germans really hit you in the gonads, and then its all standard equipment on a 2006 Honda Accord, lol.

Timothy - please share thoughts / pics on the Q7 when you get it
Old 02-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Almost a Member!

Yes, indeed! Bait and switch is a great description. Just like the new ML350's...with an MSRP of under $40K, but you don't get anything. Furthermore, in order to get any single popular option (e.g. leather, or HID lights, or moonroof), you'd have to buy the entire package (e.g. Premium, or Sport pack, etc)....sometimes, you are forced to take two packages!

I meant that if you expected to pay the car's base MSRP, you'd get essentially a stripped car, devoid of most all of the features that one would expect to see as standards in a $50K+ automobile. I'm sure that actual dealer inventory would consist of units packed up with the most popular options. I personally was disappointed to become emotionally invested in the R, only to ultimately see the optioned version price rise more than $15K over base MSRP. That felt to me like a bait/switch. At this point, if it is truly going for $10K less than MSRP, it might be a fair deal, but in the end, I went with a Q7. Ironically, even there I spent a lot on options, but I definitely felt that the base price was fairly well equipped, and that the options were truly that - options that one could take or leave, but if left, you'd still have a real luxury vehicle. At the end of the day, it's probably the horrendous quality issues that I experienced with my M class that scared me off the R. Hopefully, MB has stepped up QC enough to start rebuilding its reputation, especially with regard to the US built vehicles.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:11 PM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by mb808
....When you said that "MB basically sells it [the R] stripped", does that mean most of the dealer lot inventory have "stripped" versions? Or, are the "stripped" versions just a marketing tool to get people interested, but that one can almost never find a stripped or low price vehicle?
I've seen at least half a dozen loaded ones - including airmatic - disappear within a week each at the local dealer here.

It may be simply a matter of perception - or misperception - to think that all the dealers in the USA are ordering just stripped-down ones.... Maybe some dealers are; maybe the loaded ones don't stay on the lot for more than a couple of days -- see what I mean?
Old 02-26-2006, 09:27 PM

"...disappear within a week each at the local dealer here."

Where is here? You list your location as USA, Europe, Bahamas and United Arab Emirates. Are you seeing them disappear in the United Arab Emirates?
Old 02-26-2006, 09:54 PM
ON PROBATION

Sorry - I sometimes forget that...so my bad.

USA is 'here' in this context.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bluetooth

I have an R500. Does anyone know if/when MB will make bluetoothavailable? Or, I'll settle for an after-market installation if it integrates into the car's system.
BEagle
Old 03-23-2006, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 C230 K
Originally Posted by mb808
Yes, indeed! Bait and switch is a great description. Just like the new ML350's...with an MSRP of under $40K, but you don't get anything. Furthermore, in order to get any single popular option (e.g. leather, or HID lights, or moonroof), you'd have to buy the entire package (e.g. Premium, or Sport pack, etc)....sometimes, you are forced to take two packages!

yea thats what I didnt like about the MLs however, we just got a ML350 black/black $1000 below invoice (about $4500 below MSRP). With trim package, entertainment package, moonroof package, heated seats and power lift gate. Since the car was basically a everyday beater for my dad to drive to work in brooklyn, he didnt need all that bull**** electronics. He was just looking for a very comfortable safe SUV, and he loved it.

The only option i wish he got was the HIDs, but they told us that it was a factory installed option and the dealer wouldnt be able to add it on to the car. I really think they should of been standard then.

Its ok i will express my displeasure with MBUSA at the next AMG meet in Montvale this summer.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by Evil Duffman
Its ok i will express my displeasure with MBUSA at the next AMG meet in Montvale this summer.
That sounds like a dumb idea.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 C230 K
Originally Posted by Kar don
That sounds like a dumb idea.
why, do you have a problem with that?

Is there any reason not to considering they usually spend alot of time asking us what we like and dislike about our cars, it would seem like an optimal time to discuss it.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:23 PM

Does all MB dealerships have the same incentives?? I told my local MB dealer that the R500 and R350 are 10k and 9K below MSRP in the LA area and he says he can only offer 7k off?? Is he holding out?? or should I find another dealership?

FastWagon
Old 03-26-2006, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG, 2006 Range Rover Sport with Kahn Design Package
I like my R stripped. She's going to have a beautiful dress this coming week! LOL
Old 03-26-2006, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by Evil Duffman

why, do you have a problem with that?

Is there any reason not to considering they usually spend alot of time asking us what we like and dislike about our cars, it would seem like an optimal time to discuss it.

It is not an AMG model, why bother wasting your time on this? Maybe if you discussed why xenon was not standard on E55, etc would be a better argument. I am just saying if you have a bone to pick with MB that is probably the worst place to do it, it will just ruin it for everyone else.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 C230 K
It is not an AMG model, why bother wasting your time on this? Maybe if you discussed why xenon was not standard on E55, etc would be a better argument. I am just saying if you have a bone to pick with MB that is probably the worst place to do it, it will just ruin it for everyone else.

Oh ok now I see where you coming from. I should probably explain that this is basically the only large meet in the area where we get to speak to MBUSA associates, hence the reason why i would speak to them about it is even though they deal only with AMG im sure he can pass the info a long. It wont ruin the meet for everyone i assure you.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
I understand but I highly doubt that this will cause any change. To the standard customer they don't care if it has xenons or not.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 C230 K
I understand but I highly doubt that this will cause any change. To the standard customer they don't care if it has xenons or not.
atleast i cant say i didnt try lol