R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Trailer Hitch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Hitch

I looked through the old threads, but I have not seen any updated information on the availability of a trailer hitch/electrical connectors for an R350. Does anyone have any new information on that?

Thank you in advance

Bernd
Old 04-30-2006, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 CLK 320
I was told by my dealer that MB will not support a trailer hitch and it may void the warranty if added. This is a common admonisment from MB for all sorts of mods, but in this instance, I am heeding it.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:45 AM

When I bpught the car, I was told by my dealer that hitches will be available shortly. I have a trailer and would have not bought the "R" if I would have been told that hitches are not available. What now..? I have a trailer I can't use.

Bernd
Old 05-02-2006, 10:22 PM

There are aftermarket trailer hitches out for R-Class already. Check ebay or Google R-Class trailer hitch and you'll be in business. As long as you're not planning on towing close the aftermarket hitch's rated maximum, do you think you'll really have a problem? Let's face it, DrawTight, Hidden-Hitch, and Reese all have great track records. Why not just enjoy your R-Class and your trailer this Summer like you planned to do in the first place?
Old 05-03-2006, 02:36 AM

Thank you for your response. I know there are hitches out here, such as the ones you mentioned as well as Uhaul. The problem is that there are no electrical connectors which work with the R-class, and without those, you are asking for tickets. I talked to another dealer today and asked if I could use the new ML connectors but they said that those are different for whatever reason. We'll see

Bernd
Old 05-03-2006, 04:04 PM

The latest rear SAM with connector plug output for the trailer hitch option has the same part number (is the same part) for ML, R, and now GL. The external harness with weatherproof connector is likely the same too.

An independant expert MB shop may be in a better position to help you with this since it's more along the lines of custom work.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:34 PM

Thank's, I really appreciate that info. I will contact my dealer today.

Bernd
Old 05-04-2006, 04:51 PM

You're welcome.

BTW, I just found out that this is what MBCanada is doing through their dealers to solve the trailer hitch issue. If you still run into a dead end, It might help to make a few calls over the Northern boarder.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:36 AM

I did talk to my dealer and they told me that the ML setup is totally different from the R setup - it has to do with the seat configurations etc. I know they are based on the same platform. They actually called the factoy on the East Coast reg. the hitch.

I found and called an outfit in Germany today and they will have a hitch available in 2 months.

Bernd
Old 05-09-2006, 03:37 PM

MBs
Here are MBUSA's instructions for connecting the M-Class trailer. I suspect this also works for the R-Class.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Mercedes-...07B/index.html

For comparision some info for the old ML is here:

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/towing.html

Oris Alabama makes the hitches. They might know when what will be available:

http://www.oris-gmbh.de/english/standorte/alaba.html

Last edited by Wolfgang; 05-09-2006 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:13 PM

Hi Wolfgang,

Besten Dank. I left a message for the company you recommended - will see what they come back with. I don't know why I assumed that the R has a trailer hitch, my fault.

Again, thank you so much for your help.

Bernd
Old 08-24-2007, 09:34 PM

R 350
R-350 Hitch Update

I bought the only sensible car for adults with friends --a R-350 and wanted a Hitch to carry a Bike Rack. I read these threads and others and purchased a Hidden Hitch for the R-350 with Panorama roof. (Identical to the Reese and DrawTite brands, same manufacturer, same installation instructions). Claimed 45 minutes bolt in installation. My local hitch installer spent 2 hours and finally said it couldn't be done without redrilling holes for the front part. I called back to the manufacturer, who agreed that there was a design problem with these hitches for "some models", and said I could return it. But didn't offer a replacement. So after some thought I had my hitch installer enlarge the holes in the front attachment (they are too close together and need to be expanded about a bolt width laterally) and use longer bolts than the manufacturer supplied. It fits well with a little underbody cutout, and looks very nice. So--you can mount a hitch for your R-350, but don't try it in your garage, and don't expect a simple bolt on, at least if you have the panorama roof. Be prepared to have a hitch shop that can redrill the front mount holes wider, and have a stock of longer metric bolts to replace those the manufacturer supplies. Just thought I'd post in case others are facing the same problems. Jack.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:29 PM

1972 Chevy Vega 2300 - Panel Express
USA R-Class units will have an optional trailer hitch with MY'09.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:05 AM

2011 BMW 335d Sport Package
It wouldn't surprise me if the R chassis was closer to an E-class than the W164. Since the tail light circuit is controlled by a computer module on the E at least, it may be difficult to hook up a trailer with lights. A bicycle rack should be OK.

PL
Old 09-09-2007, 05:07 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis
It wouldn't surprise me if the R chassis was closer to an E-class than the W164. Since the tail light circuit is controlled by a computer module on the E at least, it may be difficult to hook up a trailer with lights. A bicycle rack should be OK.

PL
it is computer controlled as is the case with almost every new mb model. yu can get away with small low wattage bulbs tapped directly into the bulb lines but thats about it or the cluster will trip a bulb warning. there is however a trailer harness conenction point on the rear sam on all ML/GL/R class models and a harness can be ordered to fit. the sam must be re-flashed though to allow trailer hitch functionality.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:09 AM

2011 BMW 335d Sport Package
Originally Posted by rob13572468
it is computer controlled as is the case with almost every new MB model. you can get away with small low wattage bulbs tapped directly into the bulb lines but thats about it or the cluster will trip a bulb warning. there is however a trailer harness connection point on the rear SAM on all ML/GL/R class models and a harness can be ordered to fit. the SAM must be re-flashed though to allow trailer hitch functionality.
My dealer's salesman asked and there is a provision in the ML and GL, but not the R to do this. Maybe he was wrong.

PL