Vibration at 1800-2000 RPM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
Vibration at 1800-2000 RPM

Hi,

I posted same questions to benzforum too but trying to get more information and answers around the web.

MY 09 R350 has some buzzing vibration at 1800-2000 RPM through floor while driving. It's noticeable at uphill and high load condition. Seems that many owners including Mitaka and Avneesh see similar issue here as well. More than five 09 R350s have the issue as far as I know.
I took mine to service and they say it's normal as other new R350 (new dealer stock 27 miles driven) has same vibration!!!
Is there any 09 R350 without this issue? I'm about to test drive all R350s at near dealerships and trying to prove it's not normal.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:24 AM

R350
Vibrationat 1800-2000rpm

Originally Posted by c9422033
Hi,

I posted same questions to benzforum too but trying to get more information and answers around the web.

MY 09 R350 has some buzzing vibration at 1800-2000 RPM through floor while driving. It's noticeable at uphill and high load condition. Seems that many owners including Mitaka and Avneesh see similar issue here as well. More than five 09 R350s have the issue as far as I know.
I took mine to service and they say it's normal as other new R350 (new dealer stock 27 miles driven) has same vibration!!!
Is there any 09 R350 without this issue? I'm about to test drive all R350s at near dealerships and trying to prove it's not normal.
I have same problems of vibration at 1800-2000rpm, and problem still persist and dealer has adjusted the exhaust only. I think Merc do not have solution and are pretty much saying live with it. I have visited my dealer 2 times only, and still not convinced. My original thread is located at https://mbworld.org/forums/r-class-w251/281965-transmission-issues-r500-new-post.html

Also visit
https://mbworld.org/forums/r-class-w251/291178-r-350-shift-issue-new-post
.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w251-r-class/1421814-just-purchased-2006-r35
0-completely-happy.html

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0ea03b/11

Let me know if we can gather support for persisting problem, and make mercedes to address it.

Avneesh
Old 05-06-2009, 11:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
My 2008 R350 does the same thing. It's a slight drive train vibration around that RPM range when the engine is under load and is in a higher hear. Shifting is smooth. The same applies for the other two R-Classes I've driven. I have to emphasize the word SLIGHT. This is hardly something to nit pick as it seems normal. A German vehicle is engineered for performance at speed, first and foremost. I've had my share of German vehicles and NONE of them were ultra quiet or silky smooth, but they all had that signature German feel to them. If it's that unacceptable to you, buy a Lexus for quiet/disconnected luxury; Otherwise enjoy your German engineered machine.

Last edited by ~CL500~; 05-06-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:28 AM

E90 N54 & W251
To further add.
Although this seems like normal behavior for the R, I would guess that some properly placed sound dampening material would do the trick. This is always a delicate balance for auto manufacturers; too much sound dampening will do the job superbly, but will also add excess weight.

Now would MB come up with a fix like this to please the few that are complaining? Who knows. Good luck though.

Last edited by ~CL500~; 05-06-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
S320 GL350
Depends on the operatin gtemperature - after it's fully warmed I never notice it - just one of the quirks I've lived with from time to time I notice it. Remember it's a hugely mechanical contraption underneath with the 4 Matic. Only took a drive home today in the company Malibu to make me fall in love all over again with my R350. Go for a long drive, don't sweat the small stuff. It's not a Bugatti Veyron, after all.

But it IS a Merc. And there ARE very few around, since most car owners don't have our discerning taste.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:10 AM

E90 N54 & W251
Originally Posted by rosswell
Depends on the operatin gtemperature - after it's fully warmed I never notice it - just one of the quirks I've lived with from time to time I notice it. Remember it's a hugely mechanical contraption underneath with the 4 Matic. Only took a drive home today in the company Malibu to make me fall in love all over again with my R350. Go for a long drive, don't sweat the small stuff. It's not a Bugatti Veyron, after all.

But it IS a Merc. And there ARE very few around, since most car owners don't have our discerning taste.

Well said rosswell
Old 10-11-2011, 04:10 PM

Mercedes R320 Transmission Problem Vibration

Originally Posted by ~CL500~
To further add.
Although this seems like normal behavior for the R, I would guess that some properly placed sound dampening material would do the trick. This is always a delicate balance for auto manufacturers; too much sound dampening will do the job superbly, but will also add excess weight.

Now would MB come up with a fix like this to please the few that are complaining? Who knows. Good luck though.
This is not normal for any car. I had the dealer same the same thing the first time I took the car in. It vibrates on slight acceleration low RPM and uphill will cause it to happen more. If you downshift it will stop. Driving in S mode helps prevent the problem. The Vibration feels almost exactly like the rumble strip found on the side of some freeways.

I had the transmission reprogramed at the dealership and it is still a problem. It changed the speed where the vibration happens. The warranty is now gone and the dealer now says its the transmission and the torque converter. This problem was there from the beginning. $6800.00 to repair.This is the last Mercedes I will EVER buy. I want to try replacing just the torque converter. Anyone cure this problem?
Old 02-26-2023, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 Mercedes ML350
Copy thread from just answers that you know what

Originally Posted by c9422033
Hi,

I posted same questions to benzforum too but trying to get more information and answers around the web. Again I'm not Paul I'm just trying to help people with this problem it's a common problem that happened with the heavy duty models like the ML550 and a higher tier GL and diesel

I copied a post I saw in a different website this is most likely the problem Hope it helps somebody

This sounds like a common problem with the torque converter clutch juddering. It is more noticeable under light throttle loads & causes juddering through the transmission & through the vehicle.

One of the problems can be from a leaking oil cooler inside the radiator - this should be tested with a glycol test kit that a Mercedes dealer should have.

If glycol is present then the radiator should be replaced & the transmission oil & filter replaced & the transmission flushed. If no glycol is found then the radiator is ok & just the transmission needs to be flushed & oil & filter changed.

There is a way of confirming the issue to be the lockup clutch by road testing the vehicle with STAR diagnosis - with this tool you can switch off the lockup clutch - if the vibration goes then it is definitely coming from the torque converter.

In some instances the flushing does not completely cure the juddering & the torque converter needs to be replaced.
I have also seen on occasion where the radiator leak is quite severe & internal damage is done to the transmission which needs replacing.

Let me know how you get on & if you need anything else.

Best regards, Paul