R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

R Class Trade in Value

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
R Class Trade in Value

Hello. This is my first post to this site.

Recently, I tried to trade in my 2008 R350 (19000 miles) and both KBB and Edmunds had a trade in value at or near $35K. To the few dealerships I visited, both gave me 'auction' value which they said was $28 - 30k depending on condition. How can there be such a material difference between auction and trade in? Is it standard practice for dealerships to negate KBB these days and go for the Manheim auction values?

I don't understand how a $50k Mercedes can lose ~45% of it's value after 18 months. The dealerships had mentioned that this isn't a popular model and they have to discount them heavily to get rid of it. Most consumers, they say, don't like it's looks because it resembles a hearse or a minivan. They had also mentioned that since my car didn't have Navigation or the glass roof/sun roof option that it hurt it's value even more.

This car is a solid performer and does most everything well and is great for families. However, I'm extremely disappointed in it's current market value. Can anyone help explain?

Also, how can I fit a Mercedes Benz Navigation unit to my car? Is it expensive to do so?

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2009, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
I tried to trade in my '02 C-Class a year ago. KBB was around $8k-$10k. Dealer offered $5k saying that is what they are going for at auction. I sold it myself for $8.5k.

The book value on that car dropped 1/3 the first year.

The R-Class is a tremendous value if you buy used. Last winter folks were buying R500s with 20-30k miles for $23k. Prices have actually gone up since then but you'll never get back more than 1/2 of what you paid new.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:00 PM

Q & R
Believe me, its not that the R class is singled out. And if you were shopping to buy a used R class, I am certain the salesman would say, "hey these cars are rare - hence we cannot mark down the price too much because its hard to come across more to sell". That's good salesmanship isn't it?

Dealers never give the KBB trade. Thats because they expect to give you a discount on the new car you are trading in too. And look at it from a buyer's perspective. Would anyone pay the KBB retail for a used car? Everyone expects to pay the KBB trade plus a small markup - maybe 1 to 2%? If you dont like to sell a car yourself, take it to CarMax. They may give a bit more than what the dealer is willing to.

I always sell my old cars myself. I usually get real close to the Private Seller price - ie halfway between trade and the retail. A true buyer (not someone trying to steal your car at below market) does not mind paying over the KBB trade for a good clean original owner, well cared for car. I keep my cars really clean - and the last car I sold, I got the usual cold calls over the phone and sight unseen, offering me below trade because they know dealers dont give KBB trade. But when I get a serious buyer come look at my car, one who has shopped whats on dealer lots and know how much dealers want for a car as clean as mine, they cannot walk away without making a reasonable offer.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
what's purpose of having both Q and R, and how do you compare the two?
I've always thought Audi's have the best interior quality(other than S600).
PL
Old 10-28-2009, 10:47 AM

Q & R
Ahhh....funny you should ask, I just posted this recently over at audiworld.com

http://http://forums.audiworld.com/s...2764874&page=2

AS for why Q & R. The Q is my daily driver, it replaced a 2000 ML320 with 7 seats. The R is my wife's and it replaced a Honda Odyssey.

When you have 4 kids all in booster seats, a 5 seat car is no better than a 2 seat sports car.

The Q interior is nice, in terms of materials and design compared to the R class. But the R class is just better built. The biggest gripe about the Q is the leather separating from the trim on the tops of the seats. Others have posted similar problems.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by MILILL
I don't understand how a $50k Mercedes can lose ~45% of it's value after 18 months.
WORLDWIDE sales of the R-class have recently been only about 300 per month.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:39 PM

2008 Audi R8; 2004 Lexus RX330
I just had a Q7 loaner for a week while my R8 was in for repair. While it drove and handled relatively well for a vehicle that makes you feel you're in the nosebleed seats, it was full of rattles at well under 20,000 miles. It's been a while since I drove an R-class loaner, but I don't recall having noted any rattles in it. Also, Audi interiors are not nearly as nice as they were a few years back.

My R8 (16,800 miles) is already showing high wear on the leather at the leading edge of the torso bolsters. What is especially weird is that it's showing almost as much wear on the passenger side, which is very seldom occupied. (The bulk of my driving is commuting to work in it.) My SL55 was into year five before leather wear anywhere on the seats became noticeable.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:58 PM

Q & R
Originally Posted by MILILL
I don't understand how a $50k Mercedes can lose ~45% of it's value after 18 months.

Also, how can I fit a Mercedes Benz Navigation unit to my car? Is it expensive to do so?

Thanks!
Shocking...isn't it?

But remember that discounts of up to $15k off sticker with incentives is not uncommon at the end of the model year on the R class - that's 30%! So a dealer will price a trade accordingly. So if you paid 30% off sticker, a year and half depreciation of 15% is pretty darn good! I am a happy camper.

Adding NAV is not hard - and the unit can be bought off ebay for relatively cheap. Do a search.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:52 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
Originally Posted by cyeung65
Shocking...isn't it?

But remember that discounts of up to $15k off sticker with incentives is not uncommon at the end of the model year on the R class - that's 30%! So a dealer will price a trade accordingly. So if you paid 30% off sticker, a year and half depreciation of 15% is pretty darn good! I am a happy camper.

Adding NAV is not hard - and the unit can be bought off ebay for relatively cheap. Do a search.
+1. Well said.
I am very happy with mine too. Sticker price $51,100, paid $41,200 before tax.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 S65
I tried Q7 third row and that is just no comparison to R. So I guess it's a plus that every kid will prefer mommy's car in your household and that's how you keep your car clean.

Is the leather of R8 some kind of soft leather like napa? I hope it gets replaced under warranty.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:03 AM

2008 Audi R8; 2004 Lexus RX330
Yep, it's Napa leather. I doubt they would treat it as a warranty item and instead say it's normal wear. (The gas filler lid kept jamming, and I scratched the lid by having to pry it open. Even though the jamming was so common that Audi sent dealers a letter telling them to cut off the retaining strap on the R8, they refused to replace the scratched lid under warranty.)

I've had four sensors replaced in the car, last week they had to replace the steering rack and pinion assembly, and it's going back in tomorrow for new brake pads (at under 17,000 miles . . . although I do commute in heavy stop and go traffic).

Premium German brands have unparalled driving dynamics, but they are very complex, things go wrong often, and the repair costs are astronomical. That is why I've been arguing on another thread that extended warranties are to be recommended on these cars for anyone who plans to drive them beyond the factory warranty period.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:45 PM

C55 R1200R ML500 R320BT
Speaking of trade in values I just picked up a dealer demo R320!
They offered me $12k trade value on a 02 ML500.
When I went to pick up the R I told them I changed my mind and would be keeping the ML!
THey weren't very happy and it was only later that my salesperson told me that the Business manager had planned on buying the ML that I was going to trade!
Looks good on them trying to low ball my trade!
Old 10-29-2009, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
I got my 06 R500 for $35K, only 12K miles on her. The sticker, which was in the car said it originally cost the first owner $62K!

Just goes to show how far high end cars have dropped. As mentioned, the R is not alone, many high end cars have dropped in resale value faster than bras at Victoria Secrets in the dressing room.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Originally Posted by johnnydee
Speaking of trade in values I just picked up a dealer demo R320!
They offered me $12k trade value on a 02 ML500.
When I went to pick up the R I told them I changed my mind and would be keeping the ML!
THey weren't very happy and it was only later that my salesperson told me that the Business manager had planned on buying the ML that I was going to trade!
Looks good on them trying to low ball my trade!
good for you!!!
my dealer's ad when i was buying our R500 said "we welcome trades" and then when i brought him our 2000 E320 wagon that was MB dealer serviced, he offered me $4500 and encouraged me to sell it private party(worth $9-11k PP). I know it's a business, but if it's that obviously that they only want your car if they can "steal" it from you, they shouldn't advertise how much they want our trade-ins.
PL

Last edited by bzliteyear; 10-29-2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: typoe
Old 10-31-2009, 01:51 PM

R350 4-matic
Originally Posted by hmp10
Yep, it's Napa leather. I doubt they would treat it as a warranty item and instead say it's normal wear. (The gas filler lid kept jamming, and I scratched the lid by having to pry it open. Even though the jamming was so common that Audi sent dealers a letter telling them to cut off the retaining strap on the R8, they refused to replace the scratched lid under warranty.)

I've had four sensors replaced in the car, last week they had to replace the steering rack and pinion assembly, and it's going back in tomorrow for new brake pads (at under 17,000 miles . . . although I do commute in heavy stop and go traffic).

Premium German brands have unparalled driving dynamics, but they are very complex, things go wrong often, and the repair costs are astronomical. That is why I've been arguing on another thread that extended warranties are to be recommended on these cars for anyone who plans to drive them beyond the factory warranty period.
I agree that all these things are not only frustrating and for the cost extremely annoying...but I have some patience as this is nothing compared to owning a Ferrari. It's a totally different class of annoyance and frustration, BEFORE you get the bill! I loved owning it, but damn if it wasn't literally one thing after another. My R while needing some TLC every now and then, when put into comparison is just a joy to own and drive.

Now where is that wood to knock on...!!!