R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Looking at 2007 R350; Couple of questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 530xiT, R350
Looking at 2007 R350; Couple of questions

Looking to join the MB club; long time BMW guy here, but there's no Bimmer that fills the needs that the R-class does. I'm looking at an '07 with Nav and the "Ipod integration kit". A couple of questions:

1. How can I tell whether the navigation has been updated; how is it updated, and how expensive is it?

2. On the test drive, I plugged my Iphone 4 into the Ipod cable in the glovebox, and it started playing whatever song I happened to be last playing, but there was no control of the Ipod from the phone or the car (the audio controls on the car didn't work). So, in other words, it took the sound through the aux input, but didn't seem to "recognize" the ipod. Is there some update that is needed, or what?

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
1. Before MB put hard drive navigations in their car (about 09+ for most models) they have nav DVDs. You have to press eject (right under the screen) and this opens up the screen. Then press eject for the nav DVD and the disc will come out. You simply replace the whole disc with a new one to update it. The latest one is 2011 and looks something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-2008-MERC...#ht_1871wt_952

The dealer wants $280 for this disc and you can find it on eBay at auction go for around $80-120.

2. This is normal. The only way to control your iPhone is to use the steering wheel buttons. You have to adjust the various menus until you get to the audio menu. The song information will show up in the speedometer but not the command unit (headunit) itself. Dumb design, but that's the way it is.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:50 AM

2002 E320 4matic Wagon
To control the phone portion of your iPhone, you need the Bluetooth module. It works well with Command integration.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:32 PM

BMW 530xiT, R350
Can the bluetooth module be retrofit? How expensive?
Old 06-06-2012, 11:15 PM

2002 E320 4matic Wagon
Yes. Not sure how much. Have heard in the $100 range on eBay.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MSC2254
Can the bluetooth module be retrofit? How expensive?
Yes and no. If your car is prewired and has the mci cradle then all you need is the $100 bluetooth adapter. You can check to see if you have this by opening the front upper portion of the armrest and seeing if you have a black plastic thing in the middle of it. It will look like this: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/mb...phoneprep2.jpg
If you do have that then you just need to buy this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oem-Mersedes...#ht_500wt_1413
(Dealer MSRP is over $200, you can find them for $100ish on eBay). With that thing you just plug it into the armrest and pair your phone to the command. Bluetooth PIN# is in the hidden cover of the top of that cool looking bluetooth module.

If you don't have that plastic thing it can still be done but it's very costly, over $1,000 or so from the dealer. If you don't have that plastic thing, talk to the dealer and have them look into it and give you a more concrete figure as mine is based on information that's a few years old. It's possible there have been new developments. The other option is to go aftermarket with something that integrates into the factory head unit.

Just find out first if you have the cradle before discussing this further.

And you know a thanks would be nice for my answers to all of your questions.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:03 AM

2002 E320 4matic Wagon
xxGenericSNxx is correct. I should have been more specific. I ordered mine with Bluetooth so I just had to set it up with the phone.

However, after re-reading your post I see that you haven't bought the car yet and are still doing research. Hopefully you've already read the forum posts here and on Benzworld, but if you haven't:

While we did enjoy the utility and luxury of ours, I would never recommend this car to anyone. It's just too unreliable, and too expensive to fix and maintain as a result. Even if your wallet is thick enough such that you wouldn't care about the expense, it's not worth the hassle and potential safety issues. In the end, ownership of our 2007 R just became too effing annoying for me and too scary for my wife to continue putting up with (and paying for). My advice would be to run away. And if you're going to do it anyway, invest in a very good and substantial warranty. It'll pay off.

And that's coming from a long-time MB fan and owner.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:15 PM

BMW 530xiT, R350
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
Yes and no. If your car is prewired and has the mci cradle then all you need is the $100 bluetooth adapter. You can check to see if you have this by opening the front upper portion of the armrest and seeing if you have a black plastic thing in the middle of it. It will look like this: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/mb...phoneprep2.jpg
If you do have that then you just need to buy this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oem-Mersedes...#ht_500wt_1413
(Dealer MSRP is over $200, you can find them for $100ish on eBay). With that thing you just plug it into the armrest and pair your phone to the command. Bluetooth PIN# is in the hidden cover of the top of that cool looking bluetooth module.

If you don't have that plastic thing it can still be done but it's very costly, over $1,000 or so from the dealer. If you don't have that plastic thing, talk to the dealer and have them look into it and give you a more concrete figure as mine is based on information that's a few years old. It's possible there have been new developments. The other option is to go aftermarket with something that integrates into the factory head unit.

Just find out first if you have the cradle before discussing this further.

And you know a thanks would be nice for my answers to all of your questions.
I just picked up the car. When I test drove it several times, I did discover the naked attach point for the bluetooth module, and was disappointed that I would have to add the bluetooth module. Imagine my surprise after I signed the papers to discover that they had just taken out the module while it was for sale on the lot. So I have bluetooth, if only I could get it to sync with my iphone. Still working on that.

So, yes, THANK YOU, for your help.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:45 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
'03C32 Obsidian Black, '76Toyota Celica GT TRD, '12R350 4matic Arctic White, '06 ML 350 arctic white
it'll syc automaticaly as long as your phone is on discover mode.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hello,
To get it to sync you need to open the door of that silver module. The fins at the rear of the device open up to reveal the four digit code. When syncing together simply input that code in your phone and you're set.

You're welcome!

(When I bought mine I swear they stripped all the goodies out of it, bluetooth, nav disc, etc and I'm stuck buying everything again.)
Old 06-10-2012, 06:08 PM

BMW 530xiT, R350
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
Hello,
To get it to sync you need to open the door of that silver module. The fins at the rear of the device open up to reveal the four digit code. When syncing together simply input that code in your phone and you're set.

You're welcome!

(When I bought mine I swear they stripped all the goodies out of it, bluetooth, nav disc, etc and I'm stuck buying everything again.)
The real trick is figuring out that the sync button is the MB logo at the top of the module. Once I figured that out, I got it synced, no problem.

So far, I am very happy with it.