R350 Blutech timing chain. Lemon?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C320
R350 Blutech timing chain. Lemon?

Wow,

So, the new to me '12 R350 is turning out to be quite the lemon. First it tried to kill me with exhaust fumes in the cabin, which the dealer diagnosed as an EGR cross-over pipe failure. I had noticed a rattling noise on cold startup, which the dealer says is a "stretched" timing belt.

"How could this happen?" I asked. "I thought timing chains lasted for hundreds of thousands of miles."

"It just does sometimes," said the Service Manager.

My repair estimate is $400 for the EGR pipe and gaskets, $2700 for a new timing chain, and $200 for the diagnosis. $3,300 for the first month of ownership. So much for "The Best or Nothing" and diesel economy! To make matters worse, it's out of service for 4-5 weeks. 2 weeks just to get it in, 2+ weeks waiting for parts. I should have bought a Chevy!

BTW, the car just turned 90,000 miles, has had every scheduled maintenance, and is excellent condition.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:14 PM

2003 C320
Update:

So, after waiting 4 weeks to get a service appointment, diagnosis (timing chain and an EGR cross over pipe) and waiting for parts and repairs, I finally picked up my Bluetech Saturday from the dealership and drove it 120 miles back to Helena. The repair was slightly less that the estimate at $3100. The car runs great. I'd forgotten how nice it is.

The next morning I back it out of the garage, and low and behold, there an oil spot the size of a pie tin on the floor! Crawling under the vehicle, the undercarriage is soaked with oil all the way to the rear bumper!

I guess "The best, or nothing" didn't apply to the Bluetech versions...

Roadside assistance is on the way to tow it back to the dealership. The service advisor's first question was "are you sure it's oil? Could it be transmission or power steering fluid?". I guess I have those issues to look forward to next.

The saga continues...
Old 07-18-2017, 11:54 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2002 C240 (W203) 2007 R500 (W251)
:|

Oh hell... if it's something related to the work they did, thats covered right?
Old 07-19-2017, 06:45 AM

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
2019 Audi Q8, 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2015 GL63, & 2005 E500W4
I am having this same exact problem with my 2011 R350 BlueTEC. Mine is at about 81k miles and this problem first presented itself at around 78k miles. I don't know if this qualifies it as a "lemon," but it is disheartening given Mercedes-Benz's (in my opinion, well deserved) reputation for quality and durability. I do want to note that you should not overlook the possibility that the vehicle was not as well maintained as it should have been by prior owners. Sometimes that can lead to a stretched timing chain.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 Mercedes R350 Bluetec
I just changed engine in my 2012 R350 Bluetec. I got it with blown engine and 90K miles. The chain (on my original engine) was stretched for about 1/2 inch. I got a used engine (92K miles) and put it in to find out that it has a stretched chain also. This one had an 1" stretch. Unbelievable...
Chains must have been made from recycled ovens...
Hope the new one was made better...
Old 01-23-2018, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011, R350 bluetec
I also own a 2011 R350 Bluetech. I purchased it from the dealer in North Carolina as a Certified Pre-Owned Mercedes with 29,500 miles on it and I was able to purchase an extended warranty, thank goodness. I have had the timing chain replaced, the glow stick in the adblue tank, the overhead control panel that controls the sunroof had to be replaced, front engine supports (motor mounts) both were replaced, NOX sensor upstream and downstream were replaced and now I too smell diesel fumes in the cabin of my vehicle in extreme weather conditions. My car is also seeping oil near the rear of the engine where it meets the gear box housing. MB doesn't want to fix this but I am going back to the dealer before my extend warranty runs out so they can fix that and possibly the EGR cross-over pipe. I assume that is why I am smelling the fumes in the cabin from the previous post. Looks like we all have lemons to make lemonade with; I still love the ride, space for the family, and the fuel economy though.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:00 PM

2003 C320
Yes, aparently the tech didn't change some crush washers. MB roadside towed it again. I asked the dealer to pressure wash the oil off the under carriage. "We don't do that". I guess that falls under the nothing part of "The best or nothing".
Old 01-25-2018, 04:01 PM

2003 C320
Yes, aparently the tech didn't change some crush washers. MB roadside towed it again. I asked the dealer to pressure wash the oil off the under carriage. "We don't do that". I guess that falls under the nothing part of "The best or nothing".
Old 01-25-2018, 04:02 PM

2003 C320
The vehicle had records for full dealer service at every prescribed interval with MB full synthetic oil. That's one of the reasons I choose this particular R350.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:05 PM

2003 C320
Same exhaust issue

Originally Posted by timmy72
I also own a 2011 R350 Bluetech. I purchased it from the dealer in North Carolina as a Certified Pre-Owned Mercedes with 29,500 miles on it and I was able to purchase an extended warranty, thank goodness. I have had the timing chain replaced, the glow stick in the adblue tank, the overhead control panel that controls the sunroof had to be replaced, front engine supports (motor mounts) both were replaced, NOX sensor upstream and downstream were replaced and now I too smell diesel fumes in the cabin of my vehicle in extreme weather conditions. My car is also seeping oil near the rear of the engine where it meets the gear box housing. MB doesn't want to fix this but I am going back to the dealer before my extend warranty runs out so they can fix that and possibly the EGR cross-over pipe. I assume that is why I am smelling the fumes in the cabin from the previous post. Looks like we all have lemons to make lemonade with; I still love the ride, space for the family, and the fuel economy though.
I had the same exhaust issue. It was the reason I brought it to the dealership. It was there that they told me the timing chain was stretched.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:56 AM

2011, R350 bluetec
Diesel Fumes in cabin

Now the dealer is stating they can’t duplicate the issue but I know there’s a problem any suggestions. They don’t want to check the EGR crossover pipe they just want to charge me for diagnostic which is insane because they just want to make money off of me.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:22 PM

R350 Bluetec
Exclamation R350 Bluetec timing chain.

I just had the same problem with my 2012 Bluetec with only 68k miles. $3000 to repair. This is my 4th Mercedes and I have had cars go 300k miles with no problems. The dealer told me that this never happens! According to the forum, looks like it’s happens a lot. Has anyone had any luck getting MBUSA to kick in for the repair?
Old 03-25-2018, 01:32 PM

2011, R350 bluetec
Timing Chain

The dealer paid to replace my timing chain because I have an extended warranty but my mate who is a MB mechanic in Europe found the problem when he came here on holiday. It seems the dealer here in Chicago either won’t go the extra mile to troubleshoot problems I experience with the vehicle or the mechanics don’t have a lot of experience working on diesel vehicles.
Like now I smell diesel exhaust fumes in the cabin every once in a while. I have been telling the dealership I have been experiencing this problem for a year but they do not care about troubleshooting the problem so; my mate from Europe told me it is probably the fuel injector seals. I saw black soot outside of one of the injectors. Now I have to take the car back and tell them to check the fuel injector seals. It is kinda a pain to have to tell them what to check on this vehicle but at least I am learning about the car and how it operates. In the long run it will benefit me cuz I don’t plan to purchase another disel vehicle; they are not selling new ones in the US anymore anyways.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
N/A
I had same issue with timing chain on my 2011 R350 Bluetec. Replacing timing chain tensioner fixed start-up rattle. Dealer told me the same story that timing chain needs to be replaced. When I asked how they diagnosed that, with out checking timing chain stretch - he changed topic I think chain at ~100K should be OK. When old tension was removed- it fall apart in my hands.
The following users liked this post:
Suprdave (04-12-2018)