R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

What to look for at around 100k miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
What to look for at around 100k miles

After nearly 7 years of ownership and now at 99k miles, the 2012 R350 (gasoline engine) will be going to the dealership for the last annual service while under extended factory warranty. The car drives fine and everything works, but below are some symptoms that I'd like to get your feedback on

1) When coming to stop at a light, sometimes there is a bit of clunking/creaking coming from the front suspension. Maybe the front axle is worn, but want to see if anyone else had this problem
2) The car feels a bit loud at idle... sounds like a diesel? My old 2010 GLK350 has this problem years ago, and at the time the dealer told me that it is just loud lifters. Want to see what you'll think
3) There is a bit of a jolt sometimes under hard acceleration (in comfort mode, so this will be coming out of 2nd gear). Maybe motor/transmission mount going?

Other than these... knock on wood... the R350 has been reliable. I was close to trading it in last year, but felt too emotionally attached to let go. The kids practically grew up in the car and we had so many wonderful memories of road trips. So I've picked up a C55 (from a forum member, go MBWorld!) for daily drive duties, and hoping the R350 can go another 100k miles.

So please let me know if you have any thoughts on these symptoms I have noticed, and any other potential issues I should ask the dealership to check out. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2019, 03:04 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
06 SLK55 AMG, 12 R350
DukeBoy27, it sounds like you have a nice R!

I got my '12 with 104k on it after what seemed like someone's CPO had just expired. What a great compromise between a van & a SUV. Other than the common MB failure points (airmatic shocks, & a sensor here and there) and the typical mechanical wear items all cars have, it seems pretty bullet proof. I'm planning to hold mine for a while too.

Originally Posted by DukeBoy27
1) When coming to stop at a light, sometimes there is a bit of clunking/creaking coming from the front suspension. Maybe the front axle is worn, but want to see if anyone else had this problem
That sounds like ball joints, do you hear the same sound going over speed bumps and when pushing down on the front suspension when the car is parked?

2) The car feels a bit loud at idle... sounds like a diesel? My old 2010 GLK350 has this problem years ago, and at the time the dealer told me that it is just loud lifters. Want to see what you'll think
The '12 has a different (new design) gas motor than what they used in the 2010 models. Mine kinda sounds like a diesel at idle as well. I asked my indy about it and he said that's how all the M276's sound. It's prolly nothing to worry about.

3) There is a bit of a jolt sometimes under hard acceleration (in comfort mode, so this will be coming out of 2nd gear). Maybe motor/transmission mount going?
Sounds like it's time to find a trustworthy indy who would put it up on a lift and let you know what's really going on. At least with that you'll have a better idea about the condition of the car before heading over to the stealership for that last warranty claim.

Maybe someone else can chime in!

Last edited by Lioninstreet; 03-02-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
So I also get all my repairs done at the dealer because of the extended warranty so I'm a bit knowledgeable when it comes to the difficulty and what they end up do repairing.

The front suspension noise is highly suspect iof the sway bar end links. These go bad very early on and you usually do not notice until you put new ones on all 4 corners and it's a world of difference from before.

The rough idle can be the pcv oil serpeator and cover becoming blocked and sending back unfiltered air bCk to the engine. It's also a known issue for oil leaks.

Definitely could be a trans mount or engine mount. I could only guess
Old 03-03-2019, 08:25 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,833 Likes on 3,020 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
In addition to ball joints and stabilizer bar links, the suspension noise described may also come from upper shock/strut mounts.

The "diesel noise" may be an exhaust leak beginning to develop. This is likely low probability.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

P.s. Try the Liqui molly engine flush. And the Liqui molly ceratec and combine it with either castrol edge or the Liqui molly 5w40 and your engine will run like cream.

I use it and it's quited down significantly b
The following users liked this post:
Lioninstreet (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 10:51 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
06 SLK55 AMG, 12 R350
Originally Posted by kombifan
The front suspension noise is highly suspect iof the sway bar end links. These go bad very early on and you usually do not notice until you put new ones on all 4 corners and it's a world of difference from before.
You mentioned you don't really notice the sway bar end links are going until they are replaced. What was the symptom that led to their replacement?

Originally Posted by kombifan
P.s. Try the Liqui molly engine flush. And the Liqui molly ceratec and combine it with either castrol edge or the Liqui molly 5w40 and your engine will run like cream.
Great tip. Are you running the m272 or the m276?

Last edited by Lioninstreet; 03-03-2019 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Lioninstreet
You mentioned you don't really notice the sway bar end links are going until they are replaced. What was the symptom that led to their replacement?

Great tip. Are you running the m272 or the m276?
M273.

So I had to replace the fronts twice. Rear once.

I did it in Sept 18 and replaced rears with oe lemforder and front reins.
ehe reins failed 2 weeks ago and my extended warranty paid for those; but the dealership couldn't replicate my jntial complaints in Sept which included knocking, and hard feedback through the steering wheel over rough roads and when accelerating.

I would stick with lemforder sway bar end links or mb and also replace the bushing on the front sway bar.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently picked up an 08 with 95k miles, needed a rack and pinion as well as an axle. Parts came out to ~$600. The rack was a b1tch to replace