R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

RClass tailgate will not lift

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
RClass tailgate will not lift

I own. 2007 R350. The other day, after a big thunder storm, I went out to my car to take my friend to the doctor. My car could not start. Click, click? Battery was dead! I immediately hooked it up to my battery charge and call for an Uber. Several hours later I tried to start her and nothing! Finally. I got a jump and it started right up. After checking everything I noticed a couple of things. My wipers didn’t work and my tail would unlock and lock but it wouldn’t lift! The next day I went out and she started right up and the wipers began to work! But the tailgate still wouldn’t lift. Last night, I disconnected the battery positive terminal and waited about a minute then re connected the terminal. Still no tailgate lift!? I’ve never had a problem with it before.
I never noticed this before but last night I went out to take trash to curb and I heard the interior fan go on. It ran for a while then turned off. After a while it started up again. I’ve never noticed this before but was wondering if that was “normal”?
its a mystery to me. Any help would be very much appreciated.. I don’t know why the battery died. I out a new one in about 16 months ago. We are taking care of a cancer patient friend of ours and we can risk being without our car. If it happened today she would have missed her chemotherapy therapy.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:37 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Received 463 Likes on 348 Posts
Hi and welcome!

Moving your post to the forum better suited to help you with your questions. Good luck!

Bob
Old 07-25-2020, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R320 CDI 2007
Originally Posted by Rdpurdom
I own. 2007 R350. The other day, after a big thunder storm, I went out to my car to take my friend to the doctor. My car could not start. Click, click? Battery was dead! I immediately hooked it up to my battery charge and call for an Uber. Several hours later I tried to start her and nothing! Finally. I got a jump and it started right up. After checking everything I noticed a couple of things. My wipers didn’t work and my tail would unlock and lock but it wouldn’t lift! The next day I went out and she started right up and the wipers began to work! But the tailgate still wouldn’t lift. Last night, I disconnected the battery positive terminal and waited about a minute then re connected the terminal. Still no tailgate lift!? I’ve never had a problem with it before.
I never noticed this before but last night I went out to take trash to curb and I heard the interior fan go on. It ran for a while then turned off. After a while it started up again. I’ve never noticed this before but was wondering if that was “normal”?
its a mystery to me. Any help would be very much appreciated.. I don’t know why the battery died. I out a new one in about 16 months ago. We are taking care of a cancer patient friend of ours and we can risk being without our car. If it happened today she would have missed her chemotherapy therapy.
Hi! I've made my account just to reply to this.
It sounds like an electrical problem. Next to the spare tyre, in right, there is a fuse box. Many times this box get wet. May be after the storm it has been flooded. Check about water under the spare tyre.
Good luck!
Old 07-26-2020, 06:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
R350 and CLS500
Hello, I have a late 2006 R350 that experienced unexplained electrical problems until the car suddenly stopped working altogether. The issue was tied to a design defect / poor manufacturing workmanship (never found out which one it was) that led the evacuation of rain water from the sun roof and other parts of the car to the fuse box that is located under the driver's foot well. It took several years for the problem to fully reveal itself and until it did there were leaks of water to the fuse box that would affect one or another electrical system but never enough to reveal a complete failure. The easiest way to check if this is the issue is to remove the padding in the driver foot well then the fuse box can be checked for humidity or actual water.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:58 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
As a heads up, out gate would not lift for a bit but when we replaced the alt battery (these cars have two batteries btw) it started working for us again. the alt battery is much smaller than normal car battery and I beleive is in teh trunk behind interior moulding.

CD
Old 09-01-2020, 09:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
Originally Posted by testknight
As a heads up, out gate would not lift for a bit but when we replaced the alt battery (these cars have two batteries btw) it started working for us again. the alt battery is much smaller than normal car battery and I beleive is in teh trunk behind interior moulding.

CD
The other battery is under the front passenger floor. My understanding is that it is only for the transmission, to provide power to it in order to get it out of park if the main battery is dead.

Old 09-01-2020, 10:27 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
Ahh ok. I've done it on two other benz's and both were in trunk, I did not replace it on this one. It may have been coincidence or something was reset as I was about to spend a bunch on new tailgate motors and what not when the tailgate started working after they replaced that Aux battery (which is all they did in the shop), I've had it for years since and no issues with the tailgate not lifting or closing (I have had issues with it latching that I had to adjust a couple times)

Last edited by testknight; 09-01-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:03 AM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
well good that it all worked out without changing the tailgate hydraulics!