R63 AMG (W251) 2007 - 2013 Discuss the R63 AMG.

R63 Hits USA Shores in August

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 12:52 PM
ON PROBATION

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R63 Hits USA Shores in August

The R63 arrives in the USA this August according to one of my sources with whom I talked last night.

I am definately going to try one!

Old 06-15-2006, 02:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CLS55AMG-MKB, R500
Me too!! I gotta see how fast that baby can go!!
Old 06-16-2006, 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
It will no doubt be the world's fastest 6-seater.

M
Old 06-16-2006, 08:50 AM

Mommy drives a '93 Opel Astra
Originally Posted by Germancar1
It will no doubt be the world's fastest 6-seater.

M
it will be no doubt the world's fastest (mini)van. (it looks strange but some regard the R as a minivan...)
Old 06-16-2006, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
The R Class is to Be Built in AlleyBamma USA with the M and GL

From the MBUSA site............

Welcome to Tuscaloosa County Alabama, U.S.A, and the factory where the 2nd generation M-Class and the newest members of our Mercedes-Benz line, the R-Class and GL-Class are manufactured.

Mercedes-Benz U.S. International (MBUSI) started with a clean sheet of paper, in terms of vehicle concept, in the way it would produce the M-Class, R-Class, and the GL-Class- in the design of the factory, and in the establishment of a new corporate culture . The result is Mercedes-Benz vehicles which will set the standard in the industry.

We build the M-Class, the R-Class and the GL-Class here in Alabama using MBUSI’s original production system which is a combination of American, Japanese, and German automotive best practices. This process contributes to the quality manufacturing of our products in a way that is safe, efficient, and predictable.

Last edited by MARK CUMMINS; 06-16-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:10 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by MARK CUMMINS
The R Class is to Be Built in AlleyBamma USA with the M and GL

From the MBUSA site............

Welcome to Tuscaloosa County Alabama, U.S.A, and the factory where the 2nd generation M-Class and the newest members of our Mercedes-Benz line, the R-Class and GL-Class are manufactured.

Mercedes-Benz U.S. International (MBUSI) started with a clean sheet of paper, in terms of vehicle concept, in the way it would produce the M-Class, R-Class, and the GL-Class- in the design of the factory, and in the establishment of a new corporate culture . The result is Mercedes-Benz vehicles which will set the standard in the industry.

We build the M-Class, the R-Class and the GL-Class here in Alabama using MBUSI’s original production system which is a combination of American, Japanese, and German automotive best practices. This process contributes to the quality manufacturing of our products in a way that is safe, efficient, and predictable.
so in other words our cars are going to be built by hill billies drunk on moonshine ... great!!
Old 08-28-2006, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Interesting. They should get rid of anything remotely resembling American production practices, specifiy better interior trim pieces like they do for German-built Benzes and make the production methods as identical to Toyota's or Honda's as legally possible.

If BMW can get the same look and feel of their German built model with the X5, why can't Mercedes do the same with the ML/R, the GL is close though.

M
Old 08-28-2006, 12:12 PM
ON PROBATION

MBZ is building trucks and buses in Turkey; sedans in Ireland? Britain?, and in China; and SUV's in Alabama -- nothing wrong with performing production where costs or total cost can be lowered....

I do agree with the trim criticism, Germancar1 -- but I am not so willing at face-value to join other posters in dismissing those building them, and the production process in Alabama, as necessarily lacking in quality....

I do know that their total investment in production in Alabama is over $1 billion USD, and that they went back in to revamp or updgrade with additional investment just last year? this year?

So I will wait to see what the near future brings before dismissing the Alabama production quality.

Last edited by ClayJ; 08-28-2006 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ClayJ
MBZ is building trucks and buses in Turkey; sedans in Ireland? Britain?, and in China; and SUV's in Alabama -- nothing wrong with performing production where costs or total cost can be lowered....

I do agree with the trim criticism, Germancar1 -- but I am not so willing at face-value to join other posters in dismissing those building them, and the production process in Alabama, as necessarily lacking in quality....

I do know that their total investment in production in Alabama is over $1 billion USD, and that they went back in to revamp or updgrade with additional investment just last year? this year?

So I will wait to see what the near future brings before dismissing the Alabama production quality.
Well so far that investment has only half paid off IMO. People are still reporting problems with the ML, R and GL. Trans issues in particular while the S-Class owners aren't reporting any. Ditto for airmatic, nothing from S/E owners but all sorts of issues from GL owners. Something is still off in Bama and when you combine that with products that don't look and feel exactly like the German made ones you have a problem. Not dismissing the American way totally, but clearly there is a lot of work yet to be done there and the first thing is getting the same interior suppliers that make the E/CLS/S/SL interiors look and feel so nice.

M
Old 08-29-2006, 06:50 PM

Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche, Aston Martin, Chevrolet
Thank you for sharing this with us, I was not forsure weither or not that particular automobile would be hitting the US shores. I'm going to have to call my brother in law(he has 4 kids).