Tried to wrap my S550 Coupe roof today...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550 Coupe
Tried to wrap my S550 Coupe roof today...

So I tried to have the painted portion of my roof wrapped gloss black today to match the glass part of the roof. I figured it would give it a sportier look and a nicer contrast which is certainly did. However for some reason with the wrap on the cars camera system would no longer work. It would give a "360 degree camera unavailable" message every time I would put the car in reverse or push the button to activate it. It would not even let me see the regular reverse camera either. As soon as we peeled the wrap off both of the cameras worked fine again. When I got home I threw a bath towel over that same section of the car to test if it being covered in general was the issue but it works fine. It must be the film for some reason?

Here's some before and after pictures. Loved the way it looked but not willing to sacrifice the cars camera system for it. Trying to figure out how to make any sense of this and hopefully find a solution so I can have it done again where everything works normally.
Attached Thumbnails Tried to wrap my S550 Coupe roof today...-image2.jpg   Tried to wrap my S550 Coupe roof today...-image4.jpg  

Last edited by BGTHEMOGUL; 02-16-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:05 PM

S550 Coupe
Not sure why the pictures are sideways on here or how to fix that.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:33 AM

S550 Coupe
I even put garbage bags over that section of the roof last night to test another material and it worked fine. So it must have something to do with the 3M material the wrap is made out of? It's very weird.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:11 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
2024 GLE 350
That's very strange and I've never heard of that. Try a different material for the wrap instead of 3M. I know a lot of people have problems with the 3M....
Old 02-19-2016, 09:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 MB S550 Coupe, 2018 Carrera T, Ford F150
Originally Posted by BGTHEMOGUL
So I tried to have the painted portion of my roof wrapped gloss black today to match the glass part of the roof. I figured it would give it a sportier look and a nicer contrast which is certainly did. However for some reason with the wrap on the cars camera system would no longer work. It would give a "360 degree camera unavailable" message every time I would put the car in reverse or push the button to activate it. It would not even let me see the regular reverse camera either. As soon as we peeled the wrap off both of the cameras worked fine again. When I got home I threw a bath towel over that same section of the car to test if it being covered in general was the issue but it works fine. It must be the film for some reason?

Here's some before and after pictures. Loved the way it looked but not willing to sacrifice the cars camera system for it. Trying to figure out how to make any sense of this and hopefully find a solution so I can have it done again where everything works normally.
I doubt it was the film and think it was due to something unrelated to the film on the roof of the car. There is nothing on the outer surface of the roof that is even remotely associated with the cameras. They are all located in positions at the level of, or below, the window line. Software manipulates the images to make them appear as being above the car.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:53 PM

S550 Coupe
What else could it have possibly been? It literally stopped working the moment the wrap was installed and started working again as soon as the wrap was removed.

Last edited by BGTHEMOGUL; 02-22-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:53 PM

S550 Coupe
I don't want to go pay to have the roof re-done if I will end up with the same result.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:56 PM

2024 GLE 350
Have a MB dealer do it, and don't tell them about your first experience lol. Some MB dealers will do after market work for a fee....
Old 02-22-2016, 06:09 PM

S550 Coupe
I never thought that the MB dealer would do that. I guess I'll ask them tomorrow. Funny enough just now when I ran out to dinner I got the same "360 degree camera unavailable" message. I'm wondering if it's some glitch in the system or Mercedes issue and the wrap had nothing to do with it and it was just pure coincidence on the timing. That would be crazy.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:13 PM

2024 GLE 350
That seams like it may be a glitch in the system and just bad luck on your part. I'd bring it into the dealer and have it looked at. Once again DONT tell them you already once wrapped the roof. Have them see what's wrong and then ask them if you trust them ask about wrapping the roof.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:15 PM

S550 Coupe
That's what I'm going to do. I'll run by there tomorrow and bring up this issue. As much as it would suck if it was purely a coincidence on the timing at least I know if it's a Mercedes software or system glitch that I can go get the roof re-wrapped again. That's the positive news. Lol
Old 04-15-2016, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG SLS & S coupe
Originally Posted by Benzman33
Have a MB dealer do it, and don't tell them about your first experience lol. Some MB dealers will do after market work for a fee....
I bought an S Coupe three months ago. The dealer had a guy come in to do a clear bra.

I also have a SLS. They brought someone else in to get rid of some curb rash.

It seems, at least, my dealer will get outside people into the shop to do "their thing".