Wind noise @ >50mph

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63S AMG W212
Wind noise @ >50mph

Hi, Have a 2016 S500 European RHD coupe.

At speeds about 50mph onwards, notice slight wind noise. Seems to be coming in via the seal between the main window and the smaller 3/4 panes.

Have tried applying rubber conditioners to the seal with no effect.

Wondering if anyone experience similar issues?
Old 10-12-2019, 11:50 AM

Received 204 Likes on 167 Posts
2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Originally Posted by TheGreenHell
Hi, Have a 2016 S500 European RHD coupe.
At speeds about 50mph onwards, notice slight wind noise. Seems to be coming in via the seal between the main window and the smaller 3/4 panes.
Have tried applying rubber conditioners to the seal with no effect.
Wondering if anyone experience similar issues?

My 2016 coupe is very quiet. No air leak noise.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
500 CLS
I'm suffering the same "pain"....
Old 03-07-2021, 04:15 AM

E63S AMG W212
Originally Posted by momene
I'm suffering the same "pain"....

i fixed it by changing the rubber seal that starts from the A-pillar. Much improvement after that.

I did buy the rubber piece which is closest to the seat belt but I didnt get round to installing it judging from the amount of things thats required to be removed.

Might’ve been able to remove the noise issue entirely base on how things were looking

Old 03-07-2021, 10:23 PM
exi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
--
Originally Posted by TheGreenHell
i fixed it by changing the rubber seal that starts from the A-pillar. Much improvement after that.

I did buy the rubber piece which is closest to the seat belt but I didnt get round to installing it judging from the amount of things thats required to be removed.

Might’ve been able to remove the noise issue entirely base on how things were looking
Perhaps a stupid question, but could you share from where you bought that piece OEM and any service/replacement guides (as in reference to the things needing removal)? Asking just for future reference for anything that might come up.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:58 AM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
Had it on my previous car (pre facelift S63 cabriolet), and was fixed by the dealer by re-aligning the side windows slightly(!), so they close more tight. Don't know if this is doable yourself, since it concerns 2 windows on each side, and each window can be "tilted" in several dimensions......and it should be only very little so solve it (and not make it worse!). Main wind "gap" seemed the pressure of the front window to the rear window rubber strip, especially the top part.
The following users liked this post:
Warehouser (06-01-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 05:16 AM

E63S AMG W212
Originally Posted by exi
Perhaps a stupid question, but could you share from where you bought that piece OEM and any service/replacement guides (as in reference to the things needing removal)? Asking just for future reference for anything that might come up.
I used one of the many available portals to search for the part number, then went on ebay searching for that particular part number.

I can't remember which portal I used though but most should suffice. I always find it alittle annoying that compared to my beemer which has realoem, Merc seems to be lacking in this area

Old 03-08-2021, 05:19 AM

E63S AMG W212
Originally Posted by HAWKiS63
Had it on my previous car (pre facelift S63 cabriolet), and was fixed by the dealer by re-aligning the side windows slightly(!), so they close more tight. Don't know if this is doable yourself, since it concerns 2 windows on each side, and each window can be "tilted" in several dimensions......and it should be only very little so solve it (and not make it worse!). Main wind "gap" seemed the pressure of the front window to the rear window rubber strip, especially the top part.
Yep I remember that its possible to do that by turning 2 nuts or something like that to align the windows. Most body shop should know how to do that considering any crash damage repair for the sides will involve aligning the windows.

Me replacing the rubber strip probably achieved in the aspect of improving the seal.