Windshield replacement - big mistake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 08:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 coupe
Windshield replacement - big mistake

Hi All,
I just wanted to share a major mistake that I made and am trying to figure out how to sort out.
I had a rock hit break the windshield a couple of weeks ago and just got it replaced through insurance. I did not ask the right questions and being lazy got it replaced at a local Safelite place. They did not replace with an OEM windshield. The HUD display now looks slightly out of focus and a little askew.
I should have known better, but the dealership do not replace windshields and I didn’t go with their recommendation because it wasn’t local. I honestly didnt think there would be non-OEM windshield for this car as i know there are several special features built in.
I plan to call the insurance company and see if there is a resolution but dont hold out much hope.
The bottom line is, if you need a new windshield, ensure they are using an OEM part. Go to a place recommended by Mercedes.
Any advice or sharing of a similar experience would be appreciated.
(2015 S550 Coupe with HUD and all driver assistance options)

Old 04-15-2021, 10:10 PM

Received 204 Likes on 167 Posts
2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Originally Posted by stan_tetters
The bottom line is, if you need a new windshield, ensure they are using an OEM part. Go to a place recommended by Mercedes.
Any advice or sharing of a similar experience would be appreciated. (2015 S550 Coupe with HUD and all driver assistance options)
Stan, Sorry to read about your windshield. I had my glass roof shatter, not my windshield, in my 2016 S550 Coupe. The dealer, and MB USA, said it had to have been caused by an impact (even though no impact point was obvious). I still think that it was a stress fracture.

So I contacted my insurance company. They had the local Safelite dealer, which the MB dealer said also did a lot of their work, do the job and it was done in the dealer's service shop. And the dealer paid my insurance deductible. So far it has been a good repair.

The windshield would be a more challenging replacement with the imbedded metal layer and the cut outs for the sensors, etc. But perhaps a workmanship claim against Safelite might get you some assistance? Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
stan_tetters (04-16-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 10:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
E63S Wagon , Ferrari Challenge Stradale, 69 Camaro, Aston Martin Vantage, 77 Bronco
There is a HUD windshield and a non-HUD windshield. If non HUD glass is used the HUD will be blurry.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:14 PM

Received 124 Likes on 70 Posts
2015 Mercedes S550 Coupe
My windshield is cracked and i called up the local mercedes dealer. Was quoted $2130 for the replacement.. i would go oem anyday when it comes to windshield

u should call safelite and complain
Old 04-16-2021, 07:23 PM

S550 coupe
Yes, it’s definitely a HUD windshield as that was a mistake they originally made. When I took it in the first time, they figured out they had a non-HUD shield, so I had to wait another week. Not sure how they made the mistake as they had the VIN which should uniquely identify the build. Also, on the stamp on the winshield it actually says HUD.
The windshield also has a weird blue tinge which i never noticed on the OEM shield.
The good news is the installation looks fine. Maybe the dealership can adjust the HUD.

Last edited by stan_tetters; 04-17-2021 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:30 PM

S550 coupe
Interesting regarding the roof shatter. The original S550 Coupe I was going to buy was a 2016 and just had the roof replaced due to a crack. I was buying from a Porsche dealership and i discovered they had not been done in a MB dealers shop, they had also not hooked up the shade so it wasn't working. I walked away.
There may be some history of stress failures of the roof panel. Apparently it is a $5000+ repair?

Last edited by stan_tetters; 04-17-2021 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:20 PM

2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Interesting regarding the roof shatter. The original S550 Coupe I was going to buy was a 2016 and just had the roof replaced due to a crack. I was buying from a Porsche dealership and i discovered they had not been done in a MB dealers shop, they had also not hooked up the shade so it wasn't working. I walked away.
There may be some history of stress failures of the roof panel. Apparently it is a $5000+ repair?
Stan, Well, the job was done very well by Safelite and my dealer. As far as I can tell using a bright light it is perfect and as good as it was when new.

The glass roof cost was $2800.00 plus $245 tax. The labor was $577.60 to the MBZ dealer to remove and reinstall the interior headliner and sunshade and $300.00 to the glass company that did the actual installation. Total bill was $3677.60. (My insurance uses Safelite for all glass work and the local glass company that did the work is approved by Safelite, approved by my insurance and is the company that does all of the work for the MBZ dealer.) All the work was done in the dealer's service shop.

Since MBZ said the damage had to be caused by impact (even though I did not agree with that assessment) and would not cover it under the warranty, my insurance agreed to cover it with no questions asked. The dealership paid for my deductible as "goodwill."

This isn't how I would have thought it should have been handled by MBZ but the job is done, done well and at no out-of-pocket cost to me. I have heard from others that this has happened more than just once and from different car makes that use glass roofs,
Old 04-17-2021, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 428 Likes on 353 Posts
MB’s
So sorry to hear about this! Safelight absolutely sucks! I had them do a windshield replacement years ago on a C Class and they messed up where water and wind noise entered the cabin. Made them come back 2X to fix it before they got it corrected. I was not happy.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:43 PM

2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
Safelight absolutely sucks!
C280 Sport, Maybe it depends on the individual local Safelite shop, not the chain. Just like some MBZ dealers are good and some not so good.

I've had two repairs done by Safelite in the past 15 years or so. One was to repair a stone chip in my CL500 windshield and one was to replace the roof in my S550 C4 coupe. Both were done well.

Sorry that your repair wasn't.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz S500L and S500 Night Edition
I had mine replaced and took a Ł400 ($550) hit on insurance access because I wanted OEM and the Mercedes logo. Glad I did now!!!
Old 04-19-2021, 07:25 AM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Presently 19 S560 SEDAN, 2014 XK, SOLD GLE 450e
On a visit to northern Ca a few years ago, in the middle of the night a thug tried to break into the right side of the car (CL550). All they suceeded in doing is spider cracking the thick acoustic laminated glass.

I had the windows replaced by Safelite and was pleased at how well they did the job and how quick they were. I'd use them again if needed.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:15 AM

S550 coupe
Update:
After a poor review online last night, Safelite called me to discuss this morning.
They said that the insurance company won't approve OEM unless it is specifically requested.
What they are going to do is keep the work order open and reject the windshield for quality reasons and put in a request for an OEM windshield to the insurance company. He said this is a common process as they often have issues with sensor recalibration etc with non-OEM. (So why do they go down the route of non-OEM without telling the customer when they know it can be a problem?).

I am happy Safelite are going to try and resolved this situation. Kudos to the manager for getting back to me so quickly. Lets see if this goes well.....I will let you know!
Old 04-22-2021, 09:00 AM

Received 124 Likes on 70 Posts
2015 Mercedes S550 Coupe
I dropped of my s class coupe yesterday to the local mercedes dealer in indianapolis for a windshield replacement, will be ready today for pickup. Original oem for $2130 including labor. Im not using my insurance for it and just paying for it out of pocket
stan_tetters (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 09:29 PM

S550 coupe
So, good news. Safelite have approval from my insurance to replace the windshield with an OEM and I am taking it back in on Thursday.
Two additional observations regarding the non-OEM so you are aware.
1) internal reflection - really noticeable reflection of the dash in the windshield. Never noticed it with the OEM.
2) Wind noise - there was virtually none with OEM, now noticeable at highway speeds.

I have learnt a lesson and am lucky it is getting sorted without being out of pocket. Hopefully the install goes well!
Old 04-24-2021, 12:07 PM

2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Hopefully the install goes well!
Stan, They should do a good job since they have already practiced it once before.
stan_tetters (04-24-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 08:04 PM

S550 coupe
Update

I had the Windshield replaced today. The HUD display is back to normal - noticed the difference immediately. It is now in focus and looks so much larger after being used to how it looked in the non-OEM windshield. Also, much less dashboard reflection.
One potential issue is i see what appears to be a “bubble” where the rain sensor is, so I will need to see if that causes an issue. I am not taking it back as I am done with this shop. Will ask the dealer about it at the next service.
They drove it for over 30 miles for the road test which i consider excessive (along with changing the radio and other settings). There were also two unidentified clips i found on the passenger seat.
The bottom line is, glad they sorted things out and installed the OEM, but never going back to that shop again.
The main lesson I have learned is talk to the dealer first and go with their recommendation and of course ensure they replace with OEM!