Brakes or Rotors?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 05:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
S550 coupe
Brakes or Rotors?

My brakes literally scream when I'm stopping it just makes way too much noise I'm sure the OEM brakes are still on, Not sure if it's my brakes or rotors that's making the noise but do you guys know of any good alternatives that would reduce brake dust, noise and have good stopping power?
Old 06-29-2022, 07:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 coupe
Interested in this too as mine are also noisy and dusty.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
what mileage, have you ever had any rotors or pads?
Old 06-30-2022, 09:17 PM

S550 coupe
49k miles total, 30k under my ownership and i havent changed pads or rotors, but have been told I only have another 5k left on them.
I think they may have been changed shortly before I bought it, but cant remember for sure.
They have been squeaky for a good while, and dust has always driven me crazy. Had the same dust problem on my Porsche Boxster however.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
This will take care of the dust...

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-03-2022, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

nobody would change the rotors before 25k mi. So they have never been changed. they probably need changing at 30 to 25k. You should change the rotors, and get new pads. Its not that expensive on regular s550. the whole parts cost 1000$ if you buy them from parts dealers
a mb dealer would probably want about 1600 to do the job
The following users liked this post:
stan_tetters (07-04-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 11:04 AM

S550 coupe
Originally Posted by okbarnett
nobody would change the rotors before 25k mi. So they have never been changed. they probably need changing at 30 to 25k. You should change the rotors, and get new pads. Its not that expensive on regular s550. the whole parts cost 1000$ if you buy them from parts dealers
a mb dealer would probably want about 1600 to do the job
sorry I didn’t answer your question before. BUSY 4th of July weekend! Anyways the mileage that I bought at was 35k, and I now have 38k. I don’t recall that being in the service records for a brake change But they did all their service at the MB dealer which was good. What site would you recommend for the parts? I’m new to having a MB I used ECStuning for a while when I had my Audis but I’m wondering if I should go that route for MB. I’m assuming that the brakes will just screech no matter because the car is so damn heavy, BUT my mechanic that I trust told me I didn’t need to get new brakes or rotors for the fronts only the backs
Old 07-04-2022, 02:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
MB S550 Coupe
Thumbs up Rotors and Pads Recommendation

Originally Posted by Jayskywalker21
My brakes literally scream when I'm stopping it just makes way too much noise I'm sure the OEM brakes are still on, Not sure if it's my brakes or rotors that's making the noise but do you guys know of any good alternatives that would reduce brake dust, noise and have good stopping power?
I have a 2015 AMG S550 and I put on EBC Red pads which are carbon ceramic, and EBC rotors. 1st, after a proper EBC break in to bed the pads, the EBC Red pads are amazing, I can stomp on these at 100+mph and they stop our 5000lb fat beasts with aplomb. 2nd, again, once bedded, the rotors are drilled and coated like oem but are better than oem and wear incredibly well. 3rd, and most importantly to me why you should not use oem replacements, very limited brake dust, which the oems spew in volumes all over your nice wheels eating away the clear coat over time. 4th, EBC are better and less expensive than oems. You can even use EBC pads and StopTech rotors, same thing, way better than oem for cost performance, wear, and dust.
Old 07-04-2022, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I answered the other guy, stan
I checked with a dealer that I get a discount, and the ebay dealer beat them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15284243253...8AAOSwyXNaQo7W

Now I got a S63 and its a whole different ballgame. More like $6000
Old 07-06-2022, 06:06 AM

S550 coupe
Originally Posted by avigo9999
I have a 2015 AMG S550 and I put on EBC Red pads which are carbon ceramic, and EBC rotors. 1st, after a proper EBC break in to bed the pads, the EBC Red pads are amazing, I can stomp on these at 100+mph and they stop our 5000lb fat beasts with aplomb. 2nd, again, once bedded, the rotors are drilled and coated like oem but are better than oem and wear incredibly well. 3rd, and most importantly to me why you should not use oem replacements, very limited brake dust, which the oems spew in volumes all over your nice wheels eating away the clear coat over time. 4th, EBC are better and less expensive than oems. You can even use EBC pads and StopTech rotors, same thing, way better than oem for cost performance, wear, and dust.
where did you get your EBC pads and rotors from? Been looking around for the EBC rotors and can’t find a damn thing for the coupe
Old 07-06-2022, 06:08 AM

S550 coupe
I answered the other guy, stan
I checked with a dealer that I get a discount, and the ebay dealer beat them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15284243253...8AAOSwyXNaQo7W

Now I got a S63 and its a whole different ballgame. More like $6000
1000 isn’t bad at all for a fresh set! If I can’t find the EBC I’ll def check this out
Old 07-07-2022, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I prefer to use oem brake parts. even if the dust is bad.
Old 07-07-2022, 11:23 PM

S550 coupe
I prefer to use oem brake parts. even if the dust is bad.
I’ll get the OEM rotors then and I just ordered the EBC pads front and back. Should at least stop the screeching
Old 07-08-2022, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

there wont be any squeeling with all oem parts, when you start mixing them, then you may start getting the squeel
Old 07-08-2022, 10:14 PM

S550 coupe
there wont be any squeeling with all oem parts, when you start mixing them, then you may start getting the squeel
i currently have all OEM parts though
Old 07-09-2022, 08:32 PM

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
G550, S550, E300
Brake pads

Brand new set of Rears avail for anyone that needs.

Will take 100 + fees and shipping.
xxnite2632 (07-25-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 10:50 PM

MB S550 Coupe
Thumbs up EBC Pads are FAR superior to OEM, don't get bullied by the OEM only crowd

EBC Pads are FAR superior to OEM, don't get fooled by the "OEM only" crowd.
The steel in the OEM rotors aren't what they used to be but the OEM pads are a joke.
EBC pads are carbon ceramic and the rotor construction once bedded with the pad material will stop your 5000 lb coupe like an import on a track day.
OEM for everything else, but MB OEM brakes are atrocious for wear, stopping, and all that disgusting dust eating up your $8,000 AMG wheels.

I got mine off Amazon, you can also get rotors from there as well. Pelican and Rock Auto also have them.
Old 07-11-2022, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i currently have all OEM parts though
Yes but the brakes are old, I would say worn out with that mileage. Thats why they are squealing.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:53 AM

MB S550 Coupe
This isn't about squealing, there's many issues to explain that including pad vibration due to rotor warp or combo of warp and pad wear or he stomped on them leaving a pad deposit.
The key here to Jaywalker's issue is he has an opportunity to change and I am so tired of everyone droning on about OEM. First, the S Coupe is literally MB squeezing a full traditional 4 door S class limo into a 2 door GT. 2nd, it's a fat beast because they took off 2 doors but crammed the rest of the S class top of line crap into it. 3rd they at least gave this 5000lb beast the Brembo brake calipers which were the AMG 63 line calipers prior to this series.

I've gone through the analysis, the OEM pads and rotors are an MB service scam to say the least given our 5000lb GT's, that are supposed to be designed to eat up a corner by definition, but then when you're forced to stomp on the brakes as any true GT coupe, first it's a mushy sphincter-tightening event as you fly through your anticipated controlled stopping point, then the poor pad and rotor performance just spew massive amounts of toxic brake dust onto your expensive wheels eating into the finish causing irreparable damage. Go ahead OEM-bullies, take a picture of your clean wheels, then go through a canyon run and take an after picture of the dust crusted wheels, it would be fine if the car at least stopped in a high-speed apex, but it doesn't.

If any of you "OEM Only" MB purists want to dispute my findings I suggest you provide technical evidence of OEM compounds with thermal breakdown specifics causing brake fade at high-speeds due to speed-to-weight- ratios that are near negligence, because stomp on OEM brake at 130mph and check your stopping distance, rather yet, just describe how you swerved off the road because I have proven results with EBC Red Stuff and Rotors that blow away OEM with incredibly low brake dust. You're providing a disservice to newcomers with your general closed-minded OEM-Only advice, and it's dangerous.
Old 07-19-2022, 11:46 AM

S550 coupe
Originally Posted by avigo9999
This isn't about squealing, there's many issues to explain that including pad vibration due to rotor warp or combo of warp and pad wear or he stomped on them leaving a pad deposit.
The key here to Jaywalker's issue is he has an opportunity to change and I am so tired of everyone droning on about OEM. First, the S Coupe is literally MB squeezing a full traditional 4 door S class limo into a 2 door GT. 2nd, it's a fat beast because they took off 2 doors but crammed the rest of the S class top of line crap into it. 3rd they at least gave this 5000lb beast the Brembo brake calipers which were the AMG 63 line calipers prior to this series.

I've gone through the analysis, the OEM pads and rotors are an MB service scam to say the least given our 5000lb GT's, that are supposed to be designed to eat up a corner by definition, but then when you're forced to stomp on the brakes as any true GT coupe, first it's a mushy sphincter-tightening event as you fly through your anticipated controlled stopping point, then the poor pad and rotor performance just spew massive amounts of toxic brake dust onto your expensive wheels eating into the finish causing irreparable damage. Go ahead OEM-bullies, take a picture of your clean wheels, then go through a canyon run and take an after picture of the dust crusted wheels, it would be fine if the car at least stopped in a high-speed apex, but it doesn't.

If any of you "OEM Only" MB purists want to dispute my findings I suggest you provide technical evidence of OEM compounds with thermal breakdown specifics causing brake fade at high-speeds due to speed-to-weight- ratios that are near negligence, because stomp on OEM brake at 130mph and check your stopping distance, rather yet, just describe how you swerved off the road because I have proven results with EBC Red Stuff and Rotors that blow away OEM with incredibly low brake dust. You're providing a disservice to newcomers with your general closed-minded OEM-Only advice, and it's dangerous.
Thank you for this! I just put EBC pads all around and then i did Dynamic Friction rotors from rock auto. Tbh I couldn't find stoptech on rock auto or the other sites you talked about. Idk Maybe i put it in wrong lol but i could not find it at all. These brakes have been really good and the squealing hasn't been an issue at all! These rotors were much cheaper than the OEMs as well along with the oem pads. I've had EBC on all my other cars Audi a7 and Audi s7 they never fail
Old 07-19-2022, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Im afraid of aft mkt rotors quality. At least the oem are dependable. Maybe they are brembo or zimmerman. I dont know where they come from. But they are dependable.
Does anybody have 30K miles on them and have they worn appropriately?
The stop tech are on their web site
Old 09-18-2022, 11:16 PM

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
G550, S550, E300
Can someone provide the part number for the EBC pads front and rear? Thanks
xxnite2632 (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 06:06 PM

2016 S550 Coupe (C217)
Originally Posted by XCLSVZ55
Can someone provide the part number for the EBC pads front and rear? Thanks
I got the rear pads from buybrakes.com for $118-shipped for my '16 S550 4matic C217
EBC Brakes DP32180C Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust Disc Brake Pad Set, 2-Wheel Set
EBC-DP32180C qty1 $131.73 -10% = $118

I didn't do my fronts yet. The dusting difference is night and day