S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

How Do I Get Rid Of This Smoker Smell?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 08:00 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S500 SPORT DESIGNO
Exclamation How Do I Get Rid Of This Smoker Smell?

As You May Have Read I Just Got My 2000 S500 Designo And Im Not Pleased With The Smell Of The Interior I Can Smell The Smoke Every Time I Get In The Car And When I Turn On The A/c Or Heat It's Smoke And Maybe Some Type Of " B/o " It's Really Bad Does Anyone Know How To Get Rid Of This Smell? Some Say Get It Detailed But Im Not Sure If That's The Only Solution Any Suggestions?
Old 06-14-2005, 08:17 PM

2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
Wink Isn't this that "Seinfeld" episode?

My bad, that was a *bmw*.

Seriously, rather than just getting it detailed, I would take it to a good detailing shop and get their recommendation; put the onus on them to tell you what they recommend and then you can hold them to it.

If you want to try it yourself, I'd vacuum the carpets thoroughly and then spray them with Resolve (the spray, not the aerosol) a couple of times, use a small brush to work the Resolve into the fibers, wait 10 minutes or so and then vacuum again. Same thing if you have any fabric inserts on the door panels. Resolve should also work okay on the headliner, but dilute it and test it in a small area first because that's an obvious light color and it will stand out. (There are great car products, but Resolve is good at getting rid of odors). On the leather, use Lexol; it will clean and treat and the Lexol smell () should overpower the smoke/b-o.

An alternative to the fabric: there is a new automotive version of Febreze; I haven't tried it, but it's supposed to get out odors.

Also, change all of your cabin filters and the carbon one if your car has it.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Greg

Last edited by Gregs210; 06-14-2005 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:07 PM

W126, W140, W201, W208
I believe you have to use some kind of carpet shampoo. I smoke in the car and when I wanted to sell my old car my detail guy washed all the carpets inside the car, because cigs smell stays in the carpet, so ask your detail shop, they'll know what to do.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:57 AM
Almost a Member!

2000 S500 SPORT DESIGNO
thanks guys i think im going to take it to a detail shop do qhat would u say is a good price for a shampoo and to treat the seats?
Old 06-15-2005, 10:53 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
1995 S280 5-speed
I've used a bottle of regular Febreze on a few cars with good results. Soak the carpeting well with half the bottle and let it dry for a day and then do it again with the rest of the bottle.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:41 AM

2002 S600 Designo
change your filters and your charcoal element

change your filters and your charcoal element
Old 06-15-2005, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your HEADLINER!!!! smoke rises!!!! I bought a Merkur XR4ti a long long time ago.. Had white headliner and a previous smoker... YOU COULD SEE THE TABACCO....

Some Gentle cleaning and smell and color went away. JUST be very careful not to over soak or over scrub the headliner, as the headliner may fall like a 1984 buick.

Resolve does work wonders!
Old 06-15-2005, 08:44 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 S500 SPORT DESIGNO
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Justinius7
Your HEADLINER!!!! smoke rises!!!! I bought a Merkur XR4ti a long long time ago.. Had white headliner and a previous smoker... YOU COULD SEE THE TABACCO....

Some Gentle cleaning and smell and color went away. JUST be very careful not to over soak or over scrub the headliner, as the headliner may fall like a 1984 buick.

Resolve does work wonders!
HAHAHA @ 84 BUICK YEAH I'LL BE CAREFULL I THINK IM GOING TO TRY AND DO IT ALL MYSELF FIRST AS PRICES ARE KINDA STEEP AND IM ALREADY PAYING FOR A LOT OF THINGS TO BE FIXED ON THE CAR SO WITH THAT SAID.... WHAT PRODUCTS DO YOU GUYS USE. I KNOW THERE ARE SOME OF YOU OUT THERE WHO LIKE TO DO YOUR OWN DETAILING SO WHAT IS THE BEST PRODUCT TO USE FOR CLEANING SMELL OUT OF THE CARPET AND HEADLINER AND WHAT IS THE BEST PRODUCT TO USE FOR CLEANING DESIGNO VENTILATED SEATS??? AND ANY TIPS ON HOW TO ACTUALY DO IT WOULD BE GREAT FIRST TIMER HERE.....THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS!!!
Old 06-15-2005, 09:40 PM
GGM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350
Originally Posted by MR_E430
HAHAHA @ 84 BUICK YEAH I'LL BE CAREFULL I THINK IM GOING TO TRY AND DO IT ALL MYSELF FIRST AS PRICES ARE KINDA STEEP AND IM ALREADY PAYING FOR A LOT OF THINGS TO BE FIXED ON THE CAR SO WITH THAT SAID.... WHAT PRODUCTS DO YOU GUYS USE. I KNOW THERE ARE SOME OF YOU OUT THERE WHO LIKE TO DO YOUR OWN DETAILING SO WHAT IS THE BEST PRODUCT TO USE FOR CLEANING SMELL OUT OF THE CARPET AND HEADLINER AND WHAT IS THE BEST PRODUCT TO USE FOR CLEANING DESIGNO VENTILATED SEATS??? AND ANY TIPS ON HOW TO ACTUALY DO IT WOULD BE GREAT FIRST TIMER HERE.....THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS!!!
Mr. E430,
Please take the caps lock off. You are hurting my ears. (It's considered shouting in the online world).

As for odors, I use a product called OdorCide which I get at Walmart Supercenter in the cleaning/air deodorizer section of the grocery side, not the Auto section. It seems to work well at killing odors and it does not have an odor of its own. The website for the product is www.winstoncompany.com

HTH and Thank you for not shouting.

GGM
Old 06-17-2005, 10:48 AM
Almost a Member!

a quick solution and cheap too is put some instant coffee powder on a plate and let it sit in the car overnight.
Coffee is cheap and almost readily available at home. Dont need to use your Blue Mountain beans or fancy types...

The next day, when you open the car and sit in it, you will feel like you are at Starbucks, and the coffee does a very good job of absorbing smells.

I learnt of this when shopping at Neiman Marcus, and observed that the sales people selling perfumes always had a small bowl of coffee beans around. So, I asked them why, and they said coffee is a natural neutralizer of smells.