S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Wash and Waxing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wash and Waxing

Anyone out there have any tips, tricks or product recommendations on the best way to wash a mercedes? How do you guys feel about taking it through an automatic wash? What are good products to use to get that showroom shine or that competition "wetlook". Thanks for any info..
Old 04-23-2006, 01:00 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
I wash mine with Pinacle car wash. I use an ultra soft brush and rinse quickly. I use a California Water Blade to remove excess water and use only Micro Fiber towels to finish drying. When I polish I use Pinacle Concours Carnuba Wax(about every 90 days). I rarely use an automatic car wash but when I do I always use "Touchless" systems. My car stays in our garage most of the time and looks new
Old 04-23-2006, 04:14 PM

W126, W140, W201, W208
I use Zaino and happy about the result. Use the "Search" button and type Zaino
Old 04-23-2006, 07:10 PM

I drive my beautiful 1987 Signal Red SL daily. The car wash does a great job but they keep increasing the price. Last was was $15. I had been thinking about taking it to the dealer and having them detail it for $200 then I got to thinking: What I really need to do is start washing the car myself.

I drove down to Auto Zone, bought some EZ car wash detergent made by Turtle and a bottle of Turtle wax that you spray on the car while still wet after you rinse. I bought a chamois cloth to wipe the water / spray wax off until dry.

I wash the car once every two weeks at least and I need the easiest way of getting a good clean protective finish. I used to kill myself with paste wax years ago, just a waste of time and energy unless you like doing that sort of thing. I just don't have the time for it.

And of course it pays to buy products that are easily recognizable, not exotic sounding because you never know where they came from or what "good" might mean to the manufacturers.

I was very leery about using house water instead of the treated (soft) water the car wash uses because if you don't thoroughly dry your car you can get water stains that are difficult to remove. Beware of that.

My car retains a beautiful red color. It is enamal, not metallic.

Stick with Turtle, Simonize, Johnson whatever. Spray and wipe is the only way I believe.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by Jack Webb
I drive my beautiful 1987 Signal Red SL daily. The car wash does a great job but they keep increasing the price. Last was was $15. I had been thinking about taking it to the dealer and having them detail it for $200 then I got to thinking: What I really need to do is start washing the car myself.

I drove down to Auto Zone, bought some EZ car wash detergent made by Turtle and a bottle of Turtle wax that you spray on the car while still wet after you rinse. I bought a chamois cloth to wipe the water / spray wax off until dry.

I wash the car once every two weeks at least and I need the easiest way of getting a good clean protective finish. I used to kill myself with paste wax years ago, just a waste of time and energy unless you like doing that sort of thing. I just don't have the time for it.

And of course it pays to buy products that are easily recognizable, not exotic sounding because you never know where they came from or what "good" might mean to the manufacturers.

I was very leery about using house water instead of the treated (soft) water the car wash uses because if you don't thoroughly dry your car you can get water stains that are difficult to remove. Beware of that.

My car retains a beautiful red color. It is enamal, not metallic.

Stick with Turtle, Simonize, Johnson whatever. Spray and wipe is the only way I believe.
meguiars and mothers too.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:34 AM

'06 S430 Sport, '05 C 55 AMG, '06 BMW 330i, '06 VW Beetle Convertible
Originally Posted by Jack Webb
I drive my beautiful 1987 Signal Red SL daily. The car wash does a great job but they keep increasing the price. Last was was $15.
A carwash near my home is $25. It is a hand wash including the wheels and tire dressing. They do a very good job but I think that is a little high. I have always preferred washing mine myself. As for paint care, for years I have used Zymol products. They are made in Germany, all natural and produce a good shine and seal. When neccessary I will use a claybar to remove difficult surface contaminents and impurities. The entire treatment can take all day but the way a black car looks when completed is worth it.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:22 PM

All you need to know is right here...

www.autopia.org
Old 04-24-2006, 02:38 PM

79 300td, 85 300d turbo
We all have good suggestions. I hand wash and dry my '85 300. I wax it about once every two months with the Turtle. Then I take it to one of those $2.00 pressure washer stall car washes. I point the dial to 'clear coat protector' and blast the entire car with it for about 3 minutes, then rinse. Wipe it dry with a soft towel. Water beads for months. I spray some Armourall on my hands and rub it on the black trim. The heat and oils from your hands really lay a great shine on and it lasts so much longer then any other method. Learned that trick from a long time car detailer. I do the 'Armor' out in the hot Florida sun so the surface is hot. It's all good.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S500 & 2011 Mini JCW
Warm softwater with Griot's car wash in a 5 gallon bucket. Then spray the car with an even shower of softwater. Then start at the top of the car and wash your way to the botton, always turning and rinsing the mitten after encountering dirt. Then rinse and hand dry with 100% cotton towels. Then once every three months apply Auto Glym Super Resin Polish. Remove and apply Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection. Your paint will always look better than the next MB you see not using these products. Good Luck, a detailed car takes many hours of hard work, even longer if you have not kept your MB up to the standards it deserves.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
My dealer washes cars for free. I don't know how they wash it, but if the SL600s and expensive AMGs are going through that, then I guess I'm safe.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:17 AM

'99 BMW 323is, '92 MR2 Turbo, '02 S500, heavily moded '88 RX-7 TurboII (on wife's finger)
What I've been doing is washing, clay it, then putting on Griot's Garage paint sealer using their random orbital waxer. I've only had the chance to do the MR2 and finally did the bimmer this weekend and they came out great! They say as long as you use their spray on wax during each wash, the paint sealer's supposed to last a year. They have another one called Best of Show wax that's supposed to make it look better though.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1005&SKU=11075

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?SKUupsell=11171

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?SKUupsell=10925

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1005&SKU=11315
Old 05-02-2006, 07:53 PM

2001 s500 Sport
Griot's makes excellent products. Start with the soap, definetly use the clay with their speed shine then follow up with Best of Show wax. The stuff is easy to apply and remove, by hand or by orbital, leaving great results on my black S500. The finish looks like its six feet deep when done. But, plan on spending the biggest part of the day if you're going to detail it correctly. You'll find yourself just walking around and looking at it no matter where you go.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by YABADI
I use Zaino and happy about the result.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220 M113K
Washing and Waxing

I only hand wash and wax my car with a very soft brisle brush to loosen dirt and to make sure not to scratch it. I also only use micro fiber towels to make sure there isnt any swirling left after drying, i use black magic liquid wax and it gives it a good wet look but what i think is good about it is it makes ur car soo soft and smooth its like butter. my friend put nappkins on the car and they slid right off and there was no wind or anything. i also slide if leaving on it. For the tires i use a black magic spray its has an ajustable head for thicker, middle, and low profile tires just spray on and it stays wet.