S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Mercedes S600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Mercedes S600

Hi there, haven't posted in a while but just had to get something off me chest.

Dad bought a S600 about a year and a half ago and this car has been nothing but trouble. Starting to lose count on how much he has spent on repairs alone. The main problems have been due to the ABC system which seems to fail like clockwork every 3-4 months and the starter motor. Must say we have been totally put off Mercs. Owned a Lexus for a good 8-9 years and never had one major problem and he even owned a S430 before that and it was a great car but this Merc has been nothing but trouble. The car is a 2001 model and done around 80,000 miles, most of which have been motorway miles and I don't think that is an excessive amount for a car like this. Every 3-4 months this car is back in the workshop and I have to hear their pathetic excuses every single time "No sir it isn't the same thing that failed 3 months ago, this is another part of the system".

My dealer keeps telling me this is one of a kind and nobody else has had so many problems but just wanna know are we the only ones who are having to suffer this much?
Old 05-28-2006, 09:49 PM

2003 CL55 stage 4 Renntech and 2006 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by JazzG

Dad bought a S600 about a year and a half ago and this car has been nothing but trouble. Starting to lose count on how much he has spent on repairs alone. The main problems have been due to the ABC system which seems to fail like clockwork every 3-4 months and the starter motor. Must say we have been totally put off Mercs. Owned a Lexus for a good 8-9 years and never had one major problem and he even owned a S430 before that and it was a great car but this Merc has been nothing but trouble. The car is a 2001 model and done around 80,000 miles, most of which have been motorway miles and I don't think that is an excessive amount for a car like this. Every 3-4 months this car is back in the workshop and I have to hear their pathetic excuses every single time "No sir it isn't the same thing that failed 3 months ago, this is another part of the system".

My dealer keeps telling me this is one of a kind and nobody else has had so many problems but just wanna know are we the only ones who are having to suffer this much?
If it makes you feel any better he is not the only one with that problem. I too own a 98 Lexus GS 400 trouble free for 8 years. I bought the S600 and the ABC system goes out like clock work as well.Its in the shop more than its on the road. My car has been a nightmare and I cant wait to get rid of it. I loved the way it drove and its classy look but way too many problems. I Have a CL now and I see some of the same problems in this car as well. Man its getting frustrating.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
problems or not, you gotta love the mercedes s600.
when you're in it, it feels like you're in a tank.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by tkracing
If it makes you feel any better he is not the only one with that problem. I too own a 98 Lexus GS 400 trouble free for 8 years. I bought the S600 and the ABC system goes out like clock work as well.Its in the shop more than its on the road. My car has been a nightmare and I cant wait to get rid of it. I loved the way it drove and its classy look but way too many problems. I Have a CL now and I see some of the same problems in this car as well. Man its getting frustrating.
At least there is someone else to share our pain lol.

No doubt about the way it drives, when working that car is superb and drives like a dream but that dream turns into a nightmare every few months! So much inconvience when your car is broken down so often in a year.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:43 AM
Almost a Member!

yeah we were discussing this in another thread

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/149960-2003-s600-do-you-recommend.html

dont lose faith..........just dont buy anymore v12s
Old 05-29-2006, 10:52 AM
JLP

06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
Funny how some people compare a V-12 S-600 to a bread and butter V-8 Lexus. I can't remember a V-12 from any manufacturer being an ultra reliable vehicle.........
Hmmmm BMW- Jaguar- Mercedes- Lamborghini- Ferrari none of them have ever made a dead reliable V-12, anyone buying a V-12 should know that its going to cost them alot to own, they are expensive,complex, thirsty and very exclusive but cost a ton to maintain. Its the reason a 1991 BMW 750il cost's less to buy than a yugo!!! Unfortunately V-12 and the word reliable seldom go together.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by JLP
Funny how some people compare a V-12 S-600 to a bread and butter V-8 Lexus. I can't remember a V-12 from any manufacturer being an ultra reliable vehicle.........
Hmmmm BMW- Jaguar- Mercedes- Lamborghini- Ferrari none of them have ever made a dead reliable V-12, anyone buying a V-12 should know that its going to cost them alot to own, they are expensive,complex, thirsty and very exclusive but cost a ton to maintain. Its the reason a 1991 BMW 750il cost's less to buy than a yugo!!! Unfortunately V-12 and the word reliable seldom go together.
I'd hardly call the Lexus a bread and butter car, it was a damn fine motor and I'm not so sure you have owned a Lexus if you make those kind of comments. I'm not comparing the cars either, the Merc when working is much better but what’s the point owning a luxury car that will break down so often. My dad has owned a car of some sorts for over 25 years and apart from this Merc (which in theory should be the best of the bunch) none of them have ever needed to be recovered and taken to the workshop apart from this S600. Which has been recovered about 4 times and I'm sure that number will rise.

When you buy a top of the line Mercedes you just don't expect it to actually break down every 3 or so months. Obviously there are more running costs with a bigger and powerful engine but the amount of times this car has broken down is frankly ridiculous. I don't know or care what other v12 manufacturers have come up with because I'm not comparing it to their car. I'm talking about the shocking standard of this car which for a car which costs over £100k brand new leaves a lot to be desired.

Originally Posted by Thrillhouse
yeah we were discussing this in another thread

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=149960

dont lose faith..........just dont buy anymore v12s
Must of missed that thread but have to say my dad has totally lost faith in Mercedes and refuses to buy another. A shame really as many of their cars are very good but it seems like all these S600s are nothing but a pain. Was just wondering if we had been very unlucky or it was a general problem but seems like I'm not the only one with the problem!
Old 05-29-2006, 01:19 PM
JLP

Here in the USA I'm sorry to tell you but a Lexus is a bread and butter car, yes they are very reliable and built very well but they tend to be driven by the blue hair crowd and no matter how you slice it they are glorified Toyotas!!

Albeit Toyota is probably the best car company in the world but that doesn't change the fact that they along with Lexus are the preferred choice with people who's number one requirement is reliability as opposed to performance and driving dynamics.

Besides your fathers S600 was a very limited production car and was never designed for people who were seeking Toyota reliability.......the S600 was built for a person seeking an ultra-exclusive high performance vehicle, try comparing a Mercedes V-12 to say a Ferrari V-12 and you'll be surprised how much more expensive it is to run the Ferrari.

Tell you father to buy a Lexus again, he will be much happier with Japanese reliability!
Another thing is your fathers car is 5 years old and has 80,000 miles on it what do you expect? A $100,000 plus exotic V-12 to cost pennies to run? Its an exotic car anyway you slice it, with exotic repair bills.

Anyone with any car knowledge knows that a V12 is going to be a maintenance nightmare..........they always have been and always will be a PITA.

Last edited by JLP; 05-29-2006 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:49 PM

Well here in England the Lexus certainly isn't a bread and butter car. Maybe you Americans are a lot richer but I just can't class a £60k LS Lexus car bread and butter. When you spend so much on car you expect luxury and you expect reliability.

Like I said I don't expect it to be trouble free but if you are trying to tell me it should be broken down every 3 months then you have very low expectations of a Mercedes.

It has done approx 15,000 miles a year and most of which are on the motorway so on such a big engine it doesn't mean it should break down every 3 months unless I'm terribly mistaken......
Old 05-29-2006, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Originally Posted by JLP
Here in the USA I'm sorry to tell you but a Lexus is a bread and butter car, yes they are very reliable and built very well but they tend to be driven by the blue hair crowd and no matter how you slice it they are glorified Toyotas!!

Albeit Toyota is probably the best car company in the world but that doesn't change the fact that they along with Lexus are the preferred choice with people who's number one requirement is reliability as opposed to performance and driving dynamics.

Besides your fathers S600 was a very limited production car and was never designed for people who were seeking Toyota reliability.......the S600 was built for a person seeking an ultra-exclusive high performance vehicle, try comparing a Mercedes V-12 to say a Ferrari V-12 and you'll be surprised how much more expensive it is to run the Ferrari.

Tell you father to buy a Lexus again, he will be much happier with Japanese reliability!
Another thing is your fathers car is 5 years old and has 80,000 miles on it what do you expect? A $100,000 plus exotic V-12 to cost pennies to run? Its an exotic car anyway you slice it, with exotic repair bills.

Anyone with any car knowledge knows that a V12 is going to be a maintenance nightmare..........they always have been and always will be a PITA.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:53 PM
JLP

Well here in England the Lexus certainly isn't a bread and butter car. Maybe you Americans are a lot richer but I just can't class a £60k LS Lexus car bread and butter. When you spend so much on car you expect luxury and you expect reliability.

Like I said I don't expect it to be trouble free but if you are trying to tell me it should be broken down every 3 months then you have very low expectations of a Mercedes.

It has done approx 15,000 miles a year and most of which are on the motorway so on such a big engine it doesn't mean it should break down every 3 months unless I'm terribly mistaken......
Whether we are richer or not you pay alot more for your cars than we do here. Now you are correct in the sense that the Merc shouldn't be breaking down every 3 months but you nor your father can be sure as to how the car was maintained prior to him buying it.

If it was neglected and not properly maintained then the problems you are having are to be expected, theres no real way to tell.

Another thing is you may just have a Monday/Friday car and it may be a true POS..........who knows?

I don't have low expectations of MB, but I do realize that an S600 was probably one of the most technologically advanced cars of its time and with that comes alot of maintainance and high cost when the car starts to age!

If you want "luxury and reliability" buy a Lexus and you will be a happy camper, if you want "luxury-performance-cutting edge technology and superior crash worthiness" then stick with the Benz, not to mention a front parking spot from the valet, no Lexus will ever get that sorry!
Old 05-29-2006, 04:55 PM

Minivan
The best years for the S600 is 2003 to present.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes

Dad bought a S600 about a year and a half ago and this car has been nothing but trouble.
Sorry to hear about your problem. New technologies from Mercedes, like ABC suspension, or SBC brake, though sound, are prone to trouble.

My friend's S430 have had the suspension and instrument cluster replaced twice. The hydraulic suspension seem to go out every 50K or so, and so is the IC. Cost quite a few dollar to replace each.

Too bad there're so many air-head in this forum who think that even if the car break down every few months or so, as long as it has the tri-star logo, it's a great car.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by JLP
Whether we are richer or not you pay alot more for your cars than we do here. Now you are correct in the sense that the Merc shouldn't be breaking down every 3 months but you nor your father can be sure as to how the car was maintained prior to him buying it.

If it was neglected and not properly maintained then the problems you are having are to be expected, theres no real way to tell.

Another thing is you may just have a Monday/Friday car and it may be a true POS..........who knows?

I don't have low expectations of MB, but I do realize that an S600 was probably one of the most technologically advanced cars of its time and with that comes alot of maintainance and high cost when the car starts to age!

If you want "luxury and reliability" buy a Lexus and you will be a happy camper, if you want "luxury-performance-cutting edge technology and superior crash worthiness" then stick with the Benz, not to mention a front parking spot from the valet, no Lexus will ever get that sorry!
Before my father owned it the car was owned by a big company here and the director of that company was driven around with his personal chauffeur. The car had a full service history and he was able to show me receipts for every single repair ever done to the car. Everything looked good and tbh for the first 9 or so months the car didn't have a single problem. Then come July of last year the problems have come thick and fast. As they say when it rains it pours!

You can put as much spin on it as you like and go on about how great the car is because I agree, when working that car is fantastic. However a car after 5 years that has been driven ~15k miles a year should not break down every three months with the same problem. If you think that is normal for such a technologically advanced car then I think you need to come into the real world mate. Have had the whole of the front suspension system changed, some hose keeps leaking that has been changed numerous times on the ABC system. Had a brand new starter motor put in last week, got the car back on Friday and within 2 hours it had burnt out again. A few months before everyday in the morning had to sit in the car for 5 mins with the key turned, get no response and all of a sudden the car starts up. The garage to this date have not been able to diagnose that problem though they thought it might be the starter motor so suggested I spend £1200 on replacing it as "it might sort the problem out". I guess we will find out now if that is the problem eh.

Maybe I am being unfair on this car and these things are normal?

Interesting that the valet with get me a front parking spot, will he also arrange for it to be taken to the garage when the ABC light starts flashing or when he turns the key smoke comes out of the engine? Because it seems for me that comes along with "luxury-performance-cutting edge technology and superior crash worthiness" heh

Originally Posted by zam2000
Sorry to hear about your problem. New technologies from Mercedes, like ABC suspension, or SBC brake, though sound, are prone to trouble.

My friend's S430 have had the suspension and instrument cluster replaced twice. The hydraulic suspension seem to go out every 50K or so, and so is the IC. Cost quite a few dollar to replace each.

Too bad there're so many air-head in this forum who think that even if the car break down every few months or so, as long as it has the tri-star logo, it's a great car.
hehe I agree with your last paragraph, seems like a might of touched a nerve with some posters with my negative comments! Just came here wondering if I was the only person who has had to deal with this and seems as if I have rubbed some people the wrong way!
Old 05-29-2006, 07:24 PM
JLP

No you are 100% correct.........it sounds as if you got a real pile'o'****e on your hands. Better sell it and get a Lexus, you'll be much happier.

I'll go back to my "air-head" ways and drive my crappy E-55 till I can get a real reliable Japanese car.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:51 AM

2003 CL55 stage 4 Renntech and 2006 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by JLP
No you are 100% correct.........it sounds as if you got a real pile'o'****e on your hands. Better sell it and get a Lexus, you'll be much happier.

I'll go back to my "air-head" ways and drive my crappy E-55 till I can get a real reliable Japanese car.
Man I missed all of this... First off I wasnt trying to compare a GS to an S600. Not sure where you got that, was just stating that I wasnt used to such an unreliable vehicle. I have owned my car for a year now with only 46000 on it and in that year the ABC has been down 3 times. Also the entire front dash electrical has never worked properly even after the shop has worked on it several times. Finally the car for the last 6 months has been at the dealer every other week because of an overheating problem they cant seem to fix. You made a comment about whoever said V-12 were ultra reliable cars...Shoot I would expect a little better than what I have experienced even if its a V-12.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:59 AM

Minivan
I have the 2004 S600 and the car is identical to the 2003. My S600 has 12,000 miles on it and has been in the shop two times. The first was for an oil change after 12 months of driving and 7500 miles. The second time was for a leaking hydraulic line within the power steering unit. This car is one of the best built cars I have ever owned. It is reliable, extremely fast and handles like a Porsche (Since I have a Porsche I can compare).

I would tell you to check the service history before you buy.

Before 2003, the S600 was a problem child and I would steer away from those cars.

Remember, I own an S600 and I am giving you advice that I honest and not speculative.