S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

S-Class vs. LS430 vs. 7 Series PLEASE READ, NEED INPUT

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average.

Old 08-24-2002, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fiscal Neo Con Express
Cool

hey john(accord)..do you think these guys are in denial?!?!?!
Old 08-24-2002, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MAN this debate is crazy

Lets see here,

BOTH CARS ARE PHENOMINAL,

its about personal choice, and how much you want to spend, simple as that!

-Musfather
Old 08-24-2002, 11:44 AM

Lexus GS 450h
Well I would certainly hope a 120k S-class has more features than a 70k LS. One thing Mercedes has is a great BRAND, the guy with the parents from India is a great example. People know nothing about cars, but will say they will buy a MERCEDES BENZ when they get older (BMW has a great brand too).

For 120k, something you can say you have is EXCLUSIVITY, something you won't see on the price on the car, but IMPORTANT I am sure. How many S 600s do they import, maybe 1,000?

Our thing is, for those that know, looks aside, Benz and BMW are not worth the extra $$$$, especially when you consider a more expensive car has a better chance at having non-scheduled maintenance problems. I think Lexus still offers a great value compared to the competition. Talking to past Benz owners of older models, they feel the newer models are built with cheaper materials. The press has stated the same. This is a 60-120k car!

Now specialty models, obviously Lexus has the baby L-tuned, which is nothing compared to AMG. AMG models are simply exceptional and I am glad Benz bought them to produce these awesome factory tuned models.

So I thing Merceds Benz AMG/V-12 models > Lexus
Lexus> Mercedes Benz lineup

Not flaming here, my 2 cents.
Old 08-24-2002, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Well I would certainly hope a 120k S-class has more features than a 70k LS. One thing Mercedes has is a great BRAND, the guy with the parents from India is a great example. People know nothing about cars, but will say they will buy a MERCEDES BENZ when they get older (BMW has a great brand too).

For 120k, something you can say you have is EXCLUSIVITY, something you won't see on the price on the car, but IMPORTANT I am sure. How many S 600s do they import, maybe 1,000?

Our thing is, for those that know, looks aside, Benz and BMW are not worth the extra $$$$, especially when you consider a more expensive car has a better chance at having non-scheduled maintenance problems. I think Lexus still offers a great value compared to the competition. Talking to past Benz owners of older models, they feel the newer models are built with cheaper materials. The press has stated the same. This is a 60-120k car!

Now specialty models, obviously Lexus has the baby L-tuned, which is nothing compared to AMG. AMG models are simply exceptional and I am glad Benz bought them to produce these awesome factory tuned models.

So I thing Merceds Benz AMG/V-12 models > Lexus
Lexus> Mercedes Benz lineup

Not flaming here, my 2 cents.

Very well put man

-Musfather
Old 08-24-2002, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
wow, a lot was posted last night....but accord...lair They didnt even rate the s-class.......but that is teh link that the guy posted, so i dont know...and the ls430, and ls400 were both "best buys" And if anyone says that the ls430 is stupid looking...i can say yes...the s loosks better, but it isnt stupid....it has the lowest cg in the world...atleast for sedans....... .25!!!!!!!!!!! and the s.....even though it is 6 inches longer is .27/8 i am not sure
Old 08-24-2002, 12:33 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
hey guys,

just a side bar. i drive a 2002 S55. the sticker of my car was 101 and change. i got about 6 thousand off sticker. so....roughly paid 95 and change. that's 20 to 25 thousand more than an ls430. for that money i have a larger car...safer car...more powerful car...a hand built engine...more technology....limited production.... plus better handling and appearance.
so....when comparing the "S55" and the top of line lexus ls430...i paid more but.....i got more...a lot more.
so i wonder....which car has more value?
one last thing.... i love cars...not just MB...but...there is only one top dog....that's MB!
Old 08-24-2002, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally posted by S55inPA
hey guys,

just a side bar. i drive a 2002 S55. the sticker of my car was 101 and change. i got about 6 thousand off sticker. so....roughly paid 95 and change. that's 20 to 25 thousand more than an ls430. for that money i have a larger car...safer car...more powerful car...a hand built engine...more technology....limited production.... plus better handling and appearance.
so....when comparing the "S55" and the top of line lexus ls430...i paid more but.....i got more...a lot more.
so i wonder....which car has more value?
one last thing.... i love cars...not just MB...but...there is only one top dog....that's MB!
hm....dont you think you would get money off of a ls430.....they give back more than 6 grand on it...when u buy the ultra package, they give u 7-8 thousand....k..now...you said a larger car...where at man...the inside, no..the lexus has 2 more cubic feet in the inside.....hmm...the trunk..no......20.2 cub feet to only 15.4......more powerful car....yes..but what about the s430 for the money...nope.....and the s500.....that has the same acceleration time as the ls430...more tech!!!!!, naw.....the ls430 ultra has a **** load more.....laser speed control...and more...fridge...rear entertainment....rear rollers...all this stuff is still optional on the s600!...also like parktronic....standard.. on the ls430.....dont you think if a car goes into limited production.....it shoulld have less problems...and more details.....not there at all...i'll give you one for today..and that is handling and appearance....value....the ls430 and s....share about the same after 3 years..
Old 08-24-2002, 12:47 PM

lexus gs400
first off i would like to commend the members here for such a spirited and mature debate. there is likely nothing said that will sway an owner of one brand to the other. and brand loyalty is what a lot of these car companies are founded on. that being said, i truly believe that over the long haul, lexi are a more well-built vehicle. having been a valet while going through school (save the jokes ) i was privy to several high end vehicles. and although my encounters were brief, the image that i came away with is that after 5 to 10 years, alot of the mercedes felt somewhat sloppy as far as switch gear and such. a lexus of the same age, still felt solid. this factored into my decision when the time came to purchase my first real car. and we wont even talk about infiniti. now if you have the funds to afford an S500/600/55, then you are more than likely not worried about the longevity of your vehicle. but all of these go into what makes a car great. perhaps, you dont buy the car new.........then what. i will admit, that i am somewhat jealous of the AMG division of MBZ and wish that lexus had the same. as far as the LS430 is concerned, there is no car save for the bentleys and RR's of the world that offer the amenities that this car offers. and for the price, its amazing. if you can afford to pay an extra 75 large for 4 more cylinders (with similar performance still), more prestige and a suede headliner, then by all means , do for it. but i doubt that you acquired your wealth by making such poor financial decisions.

Doc
Old 08-24-2002, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Very well put doctor

HE IS ABSOLUTLY RIGHT, when you compare the LS, compare first to a S430 because of price, and the LS beats it. NOW we compare it to the S500
-same acceleration
-S-has the better handling
-LS has a better and quiter ride
-LS cheaper
-LS more feautures

So it will seam at the LS will beat it because it has more features. You wana put the same amount on the S500, than spend about 95k+

NOW you come to the S55, S55 beats teh LS in handling and accleration performance. Acceleration by a little, what .3 seconds?
NOW the S is a beautiful car, especailly the S55

DONT EVEN COMPARE THE LS to the S600, no one on this thread should, They can't be compared.
ITs a round circle
THE S600 is 50k+ more than the LS, thats way to much of a price gap.

BUT if you do compare theem

THE LS has the same features, as the S
-but does not looks as good
-And does not handle as good

AND IS 50K more

NOW lets look at the future

THE S in the first 2-3 years should be ok, probably minopr problems, but as the years go on its going to be a pain.

FACT - consumer report gave the second lowest rating for reliablity to the S

THE LS in the first 2-3 years should have NO problems

FACT - consumer report gave the best possible rating for the reliablity too the LS

FINALY IT COMES TO YOUR PERSONAL TASTE
both cars are awesome

The S in some ways is better
and the LS in some ways is better

TO SUM UP, the LS is better than the S430 and the S500, and in many ways the S55

THE S600 is a better car than the LS but than again 50grand more

-Musfather
Old 08-24-2002, 03:22 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
hey guys,

i also would like to say this has been a fun discussion.

a couple of points about the consumer reports comments.

i have my june 02 new car issue out. and one of the things i always felt was unfair with conusmer reports is they will give opinions on vehicles that they never test. case in point....the lexus ls 430 never tested. the Mercedes Benz S class....never tested. so...imho if they are going to comment they should at least test them.

also....as far as handling and quickness....my feb 02 car & driver lists these facts.
S55...0-60..5.5 seconds...skidpad .90
Ls430...0-60..6.7 seconds...skidpad .83
in the world of auto's these are pretty big differences....just like the price of both vehicles.

just one last parting thought.......a mazda protege and lincoln ls had higher skidpad numbers.

jeff
Old 08-24-2002, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
jeff the ls is 0-60 in 6.1.....you might of erad it wrong..or they posted them wrong....you right mus....ls should be compared to a s500
Old 08-24-2002, 03:40 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
hello again....

i rechecked my car and driver and it does list it at 6.7.
i then checked my road and track...6.4 for the Ls430 and 5.7 for the S55. then i checked my motortrend....... no test on the S but they list the ls at 6.1.

jeff
Old 08-24-2002, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by bmms8
jeff the ls is 0-60 in 6.1.....you might of erad it wrong..or they posted them wrong....you right mus....ls should be compared to a s500

YEA the LS is 6.1 he is right
Yea man thanxs

-Musfather
Old 08-24-2002, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Originally posted by Toog4me
Now im pissed. Go to Clublexus, and take a look at all the mature, happy people who could not be happier because they own a Lexus. Every single person in the LS and GS, and even IS and ES forums are happy. We all love our Lexus cars. Your wrong about that. Any idiot who thinks you cant be happy when buying an LS430 is ****ing wrong. No one buys a 75k car and thinks "I dont like it" or "Im not satisfied." That's just bull ****.

You couldnt justify spending 75k on a Lexus? I could not justify spending 150k on a POS S600 that breaks down, and does not even use the V12 all the time! Seriously, what a waist.
The LS has everything the S has except for the V12. The LS430 will peel away at the S430.

You really cant compare the LS to the S600, because like said, to diff. engines, diff. prices, etc.

For 150k, you can buy a used ferrari for crying out loud. Why would you buy an S600?

Like I said, you have to be one stuck up ***** to think that a Lexus wont make you happy, only an MB will.
I don't know what else to say. Of coarse a 150k car will be better than a 75k car. The said thing is, the only thing better about the 150k car is the engine and the exterior, but only by a few. and while were on the subject, I do believe MB copied Lexus's use of electrolumnescent gauges.

BTW, have you ever driven an LS or GS430? Both cars are great and the GS430, while 1/3 the cost of your S600, will satisfy so many people just as much.
1) I never said a Lexus LS430 would not make someone happy. I said that it is not an exciting car.

2) Why in the hell would you want a V12 running all the time so you can acheive 6mpg? You know nothing about V12's therefore, do not comment on them.

3) Guess what, we also owned a Ferrari 360 Modena F1. And guess what? The car was a piece of crap. Our S600 has had no one problem at all, where do you get off saying it's a POS? Not even one little rattle. Where have you heard about an S600 breaking down? Oh that's right, nowhere! Considering not one person on these forums or anywhere else has reported their S600 breaking down or having problems. Grow up.

4) Why would you buy an S600 rather than a Ferrari? Probably because a Ferrari is not an ideal car to take business investors out to lunch or something of that matter. You know, it's all about impressions, and an S600 will impress someone a hell of a lot more than an LS430. Every single person who hears this beastly V12 accelerates simply says "WOW."

5) Some people have no problem spending 150k on a car and would not even think twice about saving a little bit of money and buying a Lexus.

6) I have never insulted the Lexus LS430, therefore I expect you to not insult the S600 with false claims.

7) The driving experience in an S600 is a hell of a lot better than ANY Lexus.

8) I don't care what Consumer reports, or anyone for that matter says about the S-Class. We have owned four and have had not one problem, and the one problem we did have two years ago, the dealer REPLACED the car at no charge, we didn't even ask for it to be replaced.

9) The 2003 S600 will have double the features that the 2002 does, not to mention the 550hp Twin Turbo V12 Engine which will be 0-60 in around 4.6-4.8 seconds, which is an absolute amazing time for a car this size.

There's nothing like a V12.
Old 08-24-2002, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
yea, and the ls430 has 290 hp, and the s500 has 302. And hte s-500 wheighs 4133 pounds, and the ls wheighs 3995. And they both have same acceleration. And all you s430/500/55/600 lovers go to www.edmunds.com and select in the top left corner "NEW" and select lexus..then type in you are code..then select the ls430, and select 4dr sedan. then look at allllll the stories about the consumers ratings...average is 9.2!!, and lol, the s500 is a VERY GOOD 7.4. It is like everyone saying they switched from a s500/430 to a ls430 and would never go back, better everything. And even though the s500 costs 90 grand,. and the ls430 costs 75, the ls430 won best luxury car from edmunds...where was the s at?
Old 08-24-2002, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
john, lemme show you all the reports on it... from edmunds..

Review: when i test drove this machine,it was a driver's and passenger's "car of zen." it had top notch luxary and optional featues which included back seat back massage. sitting in the back seat of this machine made me feel like a king and drving it made me feel like the king of the road.
Favorite Features: wow! its hard to saywith a car full of of everything, but my choices would be the back seat massaging feature, the radio/climate control counsel on the back seat armrest, the air conditoned sats, and the smootest ride a lexus can offer.
Suggested Improvements: if you are planing on driver kids in the back seat-a disasemble switch to turn off the back seat control cousel would be nice-other than that, i would change nothing

PERFECTION!!!!! By A340-600

10.0 Details
Review: The best car Lexus ever made. I have owned over 7 LS400's, since they first came out in 1989, and have been drivin' them since. I have a beautiful Milleniunm Silver on black with Ultra-Lux. You get power rear seats with massage, power sunshades, best GPS, Mark Levinson sound (the best ever!), parktronic and distronic (really cool), beautiful wood trim, really soft leather, rear climate and audio controls, for just $64,000! BRAND NEW! YOU GET MORE THAN A S600 OR 760lI FOR LESS!!!
Favorite Features: Too many to list. Basically, everything in the Ultra Lux category
Suggested Improvements: i can't think of anything except to adopt BMW Steptronic like transission

ALL S-CLASS BUYERS, LOOK AT THE LS430!!! By Evian NOMAD

10.0 Details
Review: Oh my god this car is the best i have ever driven and owned. I am so glad that i traded in my 2001 S500 for an Ulta-Luxury LS430 in Black Onyx with Black leather. Very luxurious and extremely good value
Favorite Features: Rear seat controls and massagers. Love those side door sunshades and power rear one!
Suggested Improvements: NONE!!!!!

LS 430 By LexWis

9.6 Details
Review: I have owned several S-Class Mercedes models. The LS 430 is their equal in every way--except for the substantial price savings. This is the finest luxury sedan sold in the U.S.Outstanding acceleration and great comfort are two of its greatest attributes. I am 6'4" tall and have plenty of leg and head room. I drove this car over 100 miles in one day and was not overly tired.If this car has a shortcoming, I haven't found it yet.

The LS430 is second to none. By LOR

9.8 Details
Review: I bought the LS430 in February 2002 with the Ultra Package Option. The stereo system on board is unbelievable and so does the DVD Navigator. The car can respond to your voice command!
Favorite Features: There are a few favorite features on my LS430. The best of them all are the rear seats with massage.

The Lexus I bought seven months ago By victor tsung

8.8 Details
Review: The most comfortable car to drive and toown. If this is a wagon with awd Iwould'nt want any other car.
Favorite Features: The balance between ride and handle.
Suggested Improvements: A little more on handle side. Oh can a RX430 possible.
Old 08-24-2002, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
The Best Lux Car over $50,000 By eaglesteve43

9.5 Details
Review: Wonderful ride, fast comfortable and terribly reliable. Nothing ever goes wrong with it. More comforable ride and seating than the S500 and with the Ultra Lux pack it has more toys that a person could ask for. More than the S600 and a fraction of the cost.
Favorite Features: Extension of drivers seat, rain sensing wipers, fast and reliable.
Suggested Improvements: Nav system voice activation need some work

The Best Luxury Sedan PERIOD By Dr. Quincy

9.6 Details
Review: An outstanding value. Fit and finish are great. The car is so quiet you don't know the motor is on. I got the sport suspension to liven it up a tad. This is the car you need if you want the finest car made. It really is automotive perfection.
Favorite Features: Fit and finish. Controls and whisper smooth engine.
Suggested Improvements: Outside styling needs to be more daring. Let's have a few more curves and less of the old Mercedes look. Lexus need not follow anyone. Let's be bold and daring. Great Car!

Best Luxury Today By meekey

10.0 Details
Review: The Lexus LS 430 is hands down thegreatest luxury sedan of the year. Itsurpasses BMW and Mercedes by a hugemargin. The interior ergonomics aresimple to operate and the enigne rideslike silk, even though you can neverhear the engine or feel its accleration.The Lexus LS 430 is such a great car. Ifyou are looking for quality, style,comfort, and an overall great car, theLexus LS 430 is the car for you!
Favorite Features: Eveything, especially the voice controlled navigation and Mark Levinson systems!
Suggested Improvements: None

What a Car!!! By RMIKE

9.6 Details
Review: Great fun. Can't believe the car's gadgets and wonderful ride.

6 month experience By bob986s

10.0 Details
Review: A volume button on steering wheel would also help as well as the 3 current ones for the Radio etc.
Suggested Improvements: Radio Volume button on steering
Friday, June 21, 2002
ls 430 By abassi

10.0 Details
Review: I had an LS400 back in 1994 and was very happy with it but after about 100k miles I drove a 1997 Mercedes S420 and I liked it and bought it drove that for about 40k miles and trouble began after all it was a mercedes and not a lexus traded it for another lexus and have driven nothing but lexus ever since and now I own 2 Lexus vehicles and I love my new LS430 it is quieter and has a softer ride and the best navigation in the market due to it being touch screen.
Favorite Features: Navigation system, wood steering, soft ride, QUIET RIDE, I have to look at the RPM guage to make sure that the car is running.
Suggested Improvements: auto door closers in all level LS430's, voice control for the a/c like jag has and also voice control for the stations like jag has.
Wednesday, June 19, 2002
My second LS 430 and i am lovin it By Dinesh

1.0 Details
Review: This is my second LS 430. the first one i bought in october of 2000. I got the Ultra Lux Package. . From the comfort to the drive and most of all the service, i am 150% satisfied. The car is flawless, haven't had one single problem, and the only costs was for a 5000 mile service and routine oil changes. If you are looking at a car that is affordable when compared to the S500 or the 745li this is your car. For everything with the ULTRA LUX Package i paid 71,000 dollars. While if u were to get an S500 or 745li you will pay 90+ for all the options.
Favorite Features: Too much to list. ALL i can say is the ULTRA LUX Package has everything you'll ever want. The Mark Levinson is the best i ever heard in a car.
Suggested Improvements: Maybe a High Performance LS 430 that can compete with an S55 AMG
Sunday, June 16, 2002
It is perfection. An honest review By kuantum

9.3 Details
Review: I have always made jokes of Toyota/Lexus because I have owned 7 BMWs from 3 series to 7 series a Lincoln a mercedes and a Ferrari. I always stood true to my BMW 740i & 525 but I just purchased an LS430 Ultra Lux for $60k and its the best ride, feel, comfort, and luxury I have ever had not just in overall value package but truly an impressive vehicle bar none.
Favorite Features: Everything is like a kid in a candy store. I get bored easily w/cars but this one is keeping me excited.
Suggested Improvements: None noted thus far. Oh yeah, it would be nice if the rear seat stereo controls came w/head set functions.
Monday, June 10, 2002
Had Them All....540, M5, S500, C4Turbo By imvulpine

9.5 Details
Review: This machine is an excellent balance of power, comfort, design and efficiency. Reliabilty speaks for itself.Punch it, it moves. Not like a C4, but pretty close. Sit in it. You pick: drive it if it's moving. Sleep if it's still. Looks are conservative, but interesting. Gas mileage is as advertised, 18 city, 25+ highway. I drive very fast. Machine handles the same at 115 mph as at 30 mph. Quiet, smooth, stuck to to the road. Very nice.
Favorite Features: Room, comfort, acceleration, top end and cabin silence.
Suggested Improvements: Find some way to cool the wooden steering wheel. It gets very hot in the sun. A grab handle on the door would be nice.
Wednesday, May 29, 2002
Great except brakes By sweetspot

9.4 Details
Review: I have now had the car one year. I have had no complaints until now. Actually, I love the car. But, when I brought the car in for the $15k check, they told me that the car would need brakes soon. Either the Lexus has the worst brakes ever, or the dealer was trying to rip me off. Either way I'm not happy. I thought I left the sleazy dealerships behind when I bought a Lexus.In any case, I am now going to have to have the brakes checked by someone else because I don't trust the dealer any more.One other thing, the lastest NAV disk is out. The big upgrade is that it now includes Canada, which actually is a plus for me.
Favorite Features: Everything, except the brakes.
Suggested Improvements: Honest dealers? Or, longer lasting brakes, whichever turns out to be the truth!
Friday, May 24, 2002
2002 lexus 430 By jeff novak
Old 08-24-2002, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
10.0 Details
Review: the quality and workmanship are supurb and the ride and handling beyond beliefthe technology rivals anything on the road today
Favorite Features: gps system, rain sensor on w/s, one touch upand down windows, memory seats
Suggested Improvements: radio volume up and down buttons should be on steering wheel on right side instead of buttons for display items for dashboard
Tuesday, April 30, 2002
All the toys o the S500 and $30,000 less By Stephen Stern

9.4 Details
Review: The LS 430 Ultra, has more comfortable to ride,is more reliable, absolutely no service problem the LS 430 is, without question the best Luxury car on the market bar none. Quietest smooth riding car on the market. Excellant performance.I've had 7 Lexus, never had a service problem with any one of them.
Favorite Features: I love the adjustable seats that slide under your thigh, the automatic windshield wipers, the quiet smooth ride, the interior workmanship(leather features). the nav system is easy to operate.
Suggested Improvements: Voice commands on the nav system leave a lot to be desired.
Tuesday, April 30, 2002
The finest Luxury Sedan in the world By Alfred Ng

10.0 Details
Review: this sedan is very quiet and the display is very well display. I have test drove the s class and the 7 class and i can only say that the ls430 is the better than those because the navs on the s class and the 7 class are not easy to use. plus the navs are using cds. the lexus uses dvd which covers the whole U.S. For the s class and the 7 class they use cds which only covers the state the car is in.
Favorite Features: the Navigation is very easy to use and the room very roomy.
Suggested Improvements: the Lexus ls430 needs to have the UL package as a standard package.
Monday, April 01, 2002
best sedan in the world By philetus

10.0 Details
Review: far better auto than the S500 sport
Favorite Features: flawless finish, great ride, comfort, super navigation

Sunday, March 24, 2002
the best dam sedan By chicko

9.9 Details
Review: dont buy a benz or a bmw
Favorite Features: Navigation system
Suggested Improvements: doesnt need improvements
Friday, March 22, 2002
Great Car, But Can I Have My Caddie Back By JRB

8.6 Details
Review: The car is amazing. I've got 2000 miles on it now and there have been NO issues; perfect in every way. If you like gadgets and electonics, this is the car for you. And even better, everything works as it should. And did I say quiet? Oh, and perhaps I forgot to mention that the ride is like skating on smooth ice, yet sporty enough to get off the dime quickly and take a tight turn on command? Styling is nice, but not distinctive. My '94 Fleetwood had a distinctive style that stands out in the crowd. The Lexus looks like any other import. The LS430 is an outstanding car. But will my next car be a Lexus? The jury is still out...I still think about my Caddie.
Favorite Features: My Lexus is fully loaded, and I love the gadgets; navigation system, radar cruise control, Levinson sound system, park assist, upgraded leather, heated & cooled seats, door closers, etc. Everything works perfectly. Ride, handling, acceleration, breaking all top notch.
Suggested Improvements: The gadgets are great, but plan on spending time to master them. Seats could use more side bolstering (my Caddie's were bigger, plusher and easier to adjust). Seat adjustment controls are on the bottom side of the seat; difficult to use. Cargo net is useless.
Saturday, March 09, 2002
Excelent! By Lex man

10.0 Details
Review: That michel is crazy! I purchased a 2001 LS430, ultra-luxury package, fully loaded. The ride is great, and the Mark Levinson sound system is so great! Its the best i have ever hear! Bose and Nakamitchi are no way as good. GPS is great. Love the rear command center for massagers, climate, etc. Fantanstic!
Favorite Features: Rear-seat luxury accomidations in Ulta luxury package
Suggested Improvements: Redesign rear headlamps because they Look like the Toyota Avalon. Transmission should be steptronic like Acura, BMW, Benz, etc.
Monday, March 04, 2002
Comfortable around town cruiser By V

7.9 Details
Review: I bought the LS430 for family and guests to have something to drive around town in comfortably and safely.If you want a real comfortable and sports sedan buy the Audi S8!
Favorite Features: the rear seat command center which has all the buttons for climate, audio and massaging controls. ease of use of the "are you lost?" screen
Suggested Improvements: Outside styling could be a little more impressing but what the car is and offers, there doesn't need to be any outward styling Q's. Get rid of the half wood and half leather steering wheel, annoying!
Sunday, March 03, 2002
LS430 By michel

6.4 Details
Review: My lexus ls430 is an o.k. car. The engine is under powered. It is very quiet and the ride is nice though I just dont like the car at all. It was a horrible buy. The dealers at the dealership treated me like I was buying a geo metro. I should've bought the new Q45. The sound system in the lexus is horrible! It is very tinny and doesnt sound very good at all.
Favorite Features: nothing
Suggested Improvements: improve everything including the stereo!
Thursday, February 28, 2002
Simply the best! By Lexus freak

9.5 Details
Review: I already purchased 6 LS400's, and last year, i decided to try a Benz S430. I was just about to buy it until I went to the autoshow and sat in the Lexus LS430 Ultra-lux. It was the best car I've seen! Well, guess what, I have myself a 2001 Lexus LS430 Ultra-luxury, millenium silver on black leather. The best, even better than an S-class!
Favorite Features: For the price, it's well worth getting the Ultra-luxury package; I got mine for just $60,000!
Suggested Improvements: I wish the GPS screen was lower, like on the previous generation LS400.
Monday, January 28, 2002
Heroin By Sherlockio

Review: This car is like a drug, I guess....once you've experienced it, nothing else will do or matter..I'm on call, hoping to get called into the hospital, just so I can get back into the 430...It suits,I'm a perfectionist, it's perfect....Alternative license plate if Heroin is taken: Geisha

Wednesday, December 05, 2001
LS430, definition for "perfection" By Voicewave

Review: It really is hard to describe the first time pushing the accelerator on this car in words. You almost have to come up with examples, such as "remember your first kiss", or "your first love", or even your "first sexual encounter". Lexus took a chance with the high price tag, but the end result was a car that defines luxury at a new level. Technology coupled with comfort..at its finest. The ride is the best I've ever experience (and this list includes bentlys, BMW 7 series, MB S-class, etc) and really, there is no comparison. If there is that one car that you have to buy in your life, that dream car (mine used to be a ferrari), well, this is it.

Saturday, November 03, 2001
Glad I stayed with Lexus By Edarte

Review: Once I had decided to replace my 1996 Lexus ES300 I test-drove much of the competition (MB, BMW, Audi) and for a while considered the new MB C320. But after reading about all the production problems with the C320 and a less-than-perfect dealer experience I went back to Lexus. I found that for just a little more than the C320 would have cost me with all the options I could afford an LS430 (MB would not bargain and Lexus bundles most options I wanted into basic price). The LS is great!! The usual Lexus quality service, perfectly manufactured automobile, great power and near-BMW class handling plus huge interior and trunk. Don't buy a luxury car without at least testdriving an LS.

And that is just a small part of the ppl who have ls430's...read up guys
Old 08-24-2002, 04:09 PM

for any dumbass who says ls430 performs as good or better than S500, the S500 does 0-60 in 6.1 and the LS430 does it 6.7, and oh yeah Ive driven both cars and I like the S500 alot better
Old 08-24-2002, 04:10 PM

the only reason people like the lexus more is cause they cant afford a Merc
Old 08-24-2002, 04:11 PM

oh yeah and Ive driven an S600 and it ****s on ANY lexus
Old 08-24-2002, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Now, ill go to the s-class, and post the lowest rated part....lemme do the ls430 first..lowest rating..1.0..ouch, but i think he meant to put a 10.0....here it is..My second LS 430 and i am lovin it By Dinesh

1.0 Details
Review: This is my second LS 430. the first one i bought in october of 2000. I got the Ultra Lux Package. . From the comfort to the drive and most of all the service, i am 150% satisfied. The car is flawless, haven't had one single problem, and the only costs was for a 5000 mile service and routine oil changes. If you are looking at a car that is affordable when compared to the S500 or the 745li this is your car. For everything with the ULTRA LUX Package i paid 71,000 dollars. While if u were to get an S500 or 745li you will pay 90+ for all the options.
Favorite Features: Too much to list. ALL i can say is the ULTRA LUX Package has everything you'll ever want. The Mark Levinson is the best i ever heard in a car.
Suggested Improvements: Maybe a High Performance LS 430 that can compete with an S55 AMG

Doesnt sound bad to me, the second worst is a 6.4...here it is..

LS430 By michel

6.4 Details
Review: My lexus ls430 is an o.k. car. The engine is under powered. It is very quiet and the ride is nice though I just dont like the car at all. It was a horrible buy. The dealers at the dealership treated me like I was buying a geo metro. I should've bought the new Q45. The sound system in the lexus is horrible! It is very tinny and doesnt sound very good at all.
Favorite Features: nothing
Suggested Improvements: improve everything including the stereo!

That isnt the best review, but hey, the ml is the best right now...dont know what hes complaining about. Most of it was at the dealer i guess....now letsgo to the s-500....the lowest in there is a...LOLOL, WOW!!!, well, the lowest is a 1.0...and it reads...

Bad judgement By Deutscheland-fan

1.0 Details
Review: This car is really scary and annoying. The cupholders work when it feels like working; sometimes it jams. Also, the designers did a lousy job designing the cupholders and seats. The passenger front doesn't have an armrest because the cupholder is there. and, the seats are so big that i tend to slide from side to side while changing lanes on the freeway. The COMMAND system is really disapointing, compared to ones on Acura, Infiniti, Lexus, even Honda and Toyota (all these cars are CHEAPER), and all offer touch screen capability, and most with DVD based GPS systems. The value on this car is really disapointing. Overall, I am not pleased with the car.
Favorite Features: Rear legroom.
Suggested Improvements: This car has a blind spot. When looking on the rear-view mirrors, you can't see past the rear door handles because either the car is way too long and because the end tapers inward. Really dangerous.

Actually i was wrong, that was for the s430..but still....the s430 didnt even get one 10.0!!!!!!!!!!! it had 6 rating under 6.0!!!!! and that was just out of 13 ratings!!, and the ls430 had 1 under 6.0, and that was the one where he had everything as flawless, so i am guessing it was a 10.0...and there were 29 ratings...out of 29 ratings...27 of them were 8.5 of over...includiong the 1.0 rating...only one 7.9, and one 6.4....kinda funny huh...and 25 were 9.0 or higher....and there were 13 10.0's...and out of all the s's including s430/500/55/600 there were 6 10.0's....and there were 26 ratings...wow, i guess there are a lot of ppl who just love the s-class huh guys..
Old 08-24-2002, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally posted by Caliz_Finest
for any dumbass who says ls430 performs as good or better than S500, the S500 does 0-60 in 6.1 and the LS430 does it 6.7, and oh yeah Ive driven both cars and I like the S500 alot better
lol, who are you calling a dumbass man....cuz i hope its not me...i dont remember anyone saying that the ls430 as well as the s-class. And acceleration is 6.7 dumb****. Dude, did u even read mus's post....dont compare the ls430 to a s600.....think about it for a second..unless the ls430 outdoes it..which it does in some areas...read all of those ratings.....k
Old 08-24-2002, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
and believe me, if some one can afford a 75 grand lexus...they can afford a 73 thousand dollar s430....lol, where did u get that from...cali..u make me laugh
Old 08-24-2002, 04:27 PM

i wasnt calling u a dumbass, that post was directed more at someone else

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average.

Quick Reply: S-Class vs. LS430 vs. 7 Series PLEASE READ, NEED INPUT