Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

MERCEDES S-CLASS vs LEXUS LS430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320
Originally Posted by DMI+RY
First question - why do you ride CLK320 and not LS430 then?
The LS430 is in a completely different class than the CLK. I'm not much of a luxury sedan/boat person. If I was driving an S-Class while praising the LS430 in comparison, your question would be more provocative. I love the CLK, and I have yet to find any real competition in this class.

Leather? Well, very hard to tell, I prefer Napa leather (installed on S500 and up S-Class) rather than LS430.
Well, that's your personal opinion. Professionals rank the LS430 leather at "Grade 6" with the S-Class leather being at "Grade 5".

Price difference? Yes, about 50% more for S500, but if you are getting the Car and not average vehicle.
When did the Lexus LS430 become an "average vehicle" when compared to the S-Class? They are quite similar in terms of comfort, features, and room.

S-Class getting better lately...
Agreed. The 2006 S-Class should blow away the competition.

Considering LS430 reliability - well, its advertised very well as reliable car, thanks to quick problem reaction of Lexus dealers, but the car has fewer electronics and systems than S-Class...
The LS430 has more standard features, and some of the features (Bluetooth Phone, Nav System, etc) are superior. Additionally: The LS430 has been called the "most well built vehicle... ever". The reliability is not due to the problem reaction, but due to the fact that significant problems generally do not exist. There are far fewer LS430's at the garage than any other vehicle at this time.

Another thing which was kinda funny, my sister drive LS430 (lease, 2nd year, about 18k miles). Last month completely dead car went to dealer... What happened? Even I was shocked - engine replacement!So, talking about reliability...
That's one instance, out of how many sold? There are exceptions to every rule. However, we could display far more defective S-Class vehicles than LS430's.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:43 AM

Lexus GS 450h
Why are people bringing back these old Lexus threads? I won't even start as I won't waste my time with these childish remarks.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
OK,Lexus is way superior to MBs!
Happy now?
And lets close this stupid thread!
Old 08-26-2004, 09:19 AM

W220
Old 08-26-2004, 05:51 PM

CLK320
Originally Posted by absent
OK,Lexus is way superior to MBs! Happy now?
Not really. We're not talking about brand superiority here, merely model superiority. Although I feel that the LS430 is a better car overall than the S-Class, I believe that MB is a better company... and why I own one.

Originally Posted by absent
And lets close this stupid thread!
I must have missed the part where someone held a gun to your head, forced you to keep clicking on and reading it?
Old 09-29-2006, 04:56 PM

W220 S500 AMG
Originally Posted by lex400sc
Funny you call it a "riceburner", but the riceburner will smoke it's pricier competitors the S430 and S500. Ain't that a biitch!?

BTW pocholin, you still calling R34 Skylines "riceburners" after all that education in Basic Automotive Knowledge 101 you received? Tisk tisk...
Please, define "smoke"
Old 09-30-2006, 11:25 AM

2007 S550 Sport
Is this about car performance or about the Car?

No fool tries to compare Ferrari Enzo and Ford Mustang as cars...?

LS430 is totally tasteless design with most of the features "borrowed" from German car makers, with only exception of Navi system, the rest is - p.o.s.

Toyota vs Mercedes?
That's funny!

You mean Toyota vs chrysler, no?
Old 11-07-2006, 12:50 PM

Hmmm.

I can only imagine where this thread will end up going.. .. lots of passions on both sides.

As for me... I am truly a fan of the BMW and the whole driving machine experience, I have owned a 3 series, a 5 series and in the past years - both an 2002 LS430 and 2002 S500.

Without a doubt, Lexus has an edge when it comes to attention to detail. What I mean is that, the interior of the Lex is laid out so that the driver has little to do other keep his eyes on the road - and that is a good thing because the LS430 handles like a tank. The LS is geared for creature comforts and driving in a straight line, kinda like a Japanese Cadillac. Super quiet engine, every imaginable button at your fingertips and a truly comprehensive Navigation system. That brings me to the S class... what in the hell is the deal with interchangeable DVD's for different regions of the country. Would it have been so hard for Benz to supply those who selected to Nav option with a hard drive that included the entire lay of the land? Maybe a touch screen or a more intuitive (data) entry system, to make inputting information less frustrating? Luckily, the Benz handles so flawlessly you can safely take your eyes off of the road and find that feature you need.

If you are into spirited driving then select an S, the LS does not take kindly to curves and skips if you hit the slightest bump once you lean into it, add to that there are some lulls in the acceleration for those unexpected times you need some extra umph. But for extra creature comforts select the LS, and will also say that they are tons more relaible on the repair side of things - keep in mind this is coming for an S class 2002 owner, if took Benz til abt 2004 to get the S stable when it comes to its maintenance. The S Class is engineered differently and should be put in a different class, but since we are comparing... the Benz is better car overall, hands down.

If I were basing it on looks alone I would take an S class in a blink of an eye, and even though I could save 10 stacks or more if I got an LS I still would have to pass. If I had no choice though and money was tight I would pass on the luxury of the S class the comforts of the LS and get a older model BMW anyday.

...and thats all I gotta say about that
Old 11-11-2006, 06:14 AM

Lexus vs. Mercedes..

Tough question... Being on a Mercedes forum obviously I prefer S500 or a Lexus LS430.

My cousin has an LS430.. I traded cars with him for a week.. at the end of the week I was dying to sit in my S500 again. Speed is good in both cars but the way the Merc makes you feel is different.

It depends on what you value? Do you want top of the line german engineering at a price. Also Mercedes is more of a status symbol if that is important . Mercedes hands down has more maintenance and technical issues.

Lexus is good if you want a comparable car at a more economical rate and less maintenance issues.

DO you prefer to look "COOL" or be more economical.

I'd rather look cool. When I'm 85 I'll think about getting a Lexus.. maybe??
Old 11-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 S500, 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid, 2004 Chevy Suburbin, 1986 Toyota pickup, 1984 Toyota Supra
Originally Posted by lex400sc
Funny you call it a "riceburner", but the riceburner will smoke it's pricier competitors the S430 and S500. Ain't that a biitch!?

BTW pocholin, you still calling R34 Skylines "riceburners" after all that education in Basic Automotive Knowledge 101 you received? Tisk tisk...
BS! The s500 would smoke the ls430! IWho needs 8 speeds. My s500 would be long gone before you hit 4th gear. I like lexus, but their engine performance isn't as good as the s-class. PERIOD!
Old 11-17-2006, 04:28 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 S500, 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid, 2004 Chevy Suburbin, 1986 Toyota pickup, 1984 Toyota Supra
Originally Posted by nbbaig
Tough question... Being on a Mercedes forum obviously I prefer S500 or a Lexus LS430.

My cousin has an LS430.. I traded cars with him for a week.. at the end of the week I was dying to sit in my S500 again. Speed is good in both cars but the way the Merc makes you feel is different.

It depends on what you value? Do you want top of the line german engineering at a price. Also Mercedes is more of a status symbol if that is important . Mercedes hands down has more maintenance and technical issues.

Lexus is good if you want a comparable car at a more economical rate and less maintenance issues.

DO you prefer to look "COOL" or be more economical.

I'd rather look cool. When I'm 85 I'll think about getting a Lexus.. maybe??
Damn Right!
Old 11-18-2006, 03:01 PM

S-Class all day
Old 11-25-2006, 08:09 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 S550
Wow, this is an OLD thread! But I couldn't resist so here goes!

First of all, on the reliability issue that Lexus owners harp on, read the actual J.D. Power reports and you'll find that Mercedes only has 15% more reported problems than Lexus. That's not much, folks. As to people complaining about dealers, I know that mine (Phoenix Motor Co.) has an outstanding service department and really knows how to roll out the red carpet and make you feel special when you go there. Top-notch all the way.

I've also noticed that jap car owners will deny having had any problems with their cars, even when they do. An ex-gf had her a/c fail and her CD changer die within a few months of buying a new Acura; yet if anyone asked, she'd lie and say she's had no problems and that jap cars are the most reliable and anyone who doesn't buy one is stupid, etc etc. I have found that all owners of Japanese cars deny all knowledge of problems and repairs.

I have to comment that, having been in several Lexuses, they really do have a flimsy jap car feel. Another friend bought a new one and within 2 months he traded it because of the flimsy Toyota feel - he said every time you hit a bump you're worried that the car will break in half.

Let's face it, S-Class and LS are two different markets. S-Class is targeted toward the upper middle class and the rich who are not shy about spending the big bucks to get one. LS is targeted toward upper middle class people who want to spend 20-30% less, get as many bells and whistles as they can for that price, and who buy into the myth of massively superior quality and reliability (remember it's only 15%, a very minor difference - the reliability myth is all marketing).
Old 11-26-2006, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 S430
You're right Frank. It's all marketing. just like "Amazon #1 Bestselling Author"......in your opinion...lol

Just kidding I am also an author.

Mark
Old 11-26-2006, 01:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CLS 63 S AMG , s500,clk550
you know if you list this poll in a mercedes forum chances are the mercedes is gonna win. and if you post it in lexus forum lexus would win. but we all know mercedes is a higher luxury brand and no lexus can compare to it.
MERCEDES ALL THE WAY
Old 12-12-2006, 03:52 PM

95 s500, 88 BMW 735i
Originally Posted by Chan
This is why sometimes I have no respect for MB owners...they look down upon Lexus saying that "Its just a Toyota". Its just a Toyota rated as #1 Ultra Luxury Car of the year and stuff like that. Now hows that for a Toyota?
Really now...

You said that as if Lexus owners don't laugh at Benz owners, or call them negative names for purchasing a car that costs significantly more, or for just purchasing a badge.

Do Lexus owners look down on benz owners or no? If they do, what do YOU do about it?
Old 12-12-2006, 04:33 PM

95 s500, 88 BMW 735i
can understand the excitement over Lexus. They are a great car. I've never driven the LS, but I've ridden in several. However, I'm still not excited about them. They don't turn my head when 1 passes me by. A shiny new Lexus doesn't get my heart beating like a Mercedes of any year or even the later model BMW's (especially the E38.)

When I look at them I think something is missing. Kind of like a hamburger w/o cheese or tea without honey.

People in the home country don't even respect the vehicle. They themselves consider it a higher priced Toyota & sales are sluggish. Mercs sell more than Lexus in Japan...

I'm not impressed with sales figures either. Sure they sell more than Mercedes. they're priced thousands of dollars cheaper. They SHOULD sell more...

So I can understand how people would like Lexus. They are GREAT cars. The only luxury car on the planet that's relaible. But it just aint for me.

An even better question is would people buy a Lexus over a Benz if it was just a Toyota?

What if they didn't rename the car & just kept the Toyota badge?

A 120K v-12 Toyota?

Would it follow the same trtaumatic death as the VW Pantheon?
Old 07-30-2014, 11:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300 AMG SPORT
I've owned both Lexus and MB. And I have to be honest... the Lexus is a more reliable car. These Benzes are like beautiful high maintenance @#$%&#@ Its always something!but they are so hot, you just dont want to dump them.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 HARLEY FLHTK, 2013 SL550, 2014 S63
i thought i saw someone was comparing lexus to mb....really...!!!
Old 08-01-2014, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Why can't I open Lexus trunk just kicking rear bumper? MB did so huge leap with latest S, so any comparison doesn't make sense.