S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

So, just wondering if I can ask a bunch of questions to avoid numerous posts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 10:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S500
So, just wondering if I can ask a bunch of questions to avoid numerous posts?

Well, here we go.
A)--already found answers to this one....so delete it goes.
B) Why does my driver's side rear window go all the way down, but my passenger rear is up almost 3"?
C) When I hit my W/S button on the center console (to the left of the shifter), I see no changes anywhere on the dash. Should I be seeing a light, a change of some sort?
D) Anyone have any luck with Adjustableairride.com? John seems to be a very friendly guy, just making sure someone has purchased them from John on an ABC-equipped S5.
E) Last question, I promise. What lowering kit (module?) would allow me to rake the car (as it should sit), with the front lower than the rear (not the other way around, five inches of gap up front, two in the rear as it is now)?

Sorry for all the questions, and I appreciate everyone who has helped me thus far.

Aleksandar

Last edited by Aleksandar; 12-29-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
This is what this forum is for, exchanging information. Ask away.

To be honest, I don't know how the ABC system works. I know you can buy modules to lower ABC cars, but I don't know if they have adjustable links like the Airmatic. Airmatic cars, ESPECIALLY in these S-classes, are very easy and cheap to lower.

B) Please elaborate your question, not sure if I understand
C) When you press the W/S button, you should see S change to W or vice versa on a indicator on the dash. It's right next to the indicator of the gear you're in (P,R,N,D,4,3,2,1)

EDIT: I just read in the other thread that ABC does infact come with links like the Airmatic cars. If so, there are several ways to lower. What is your budget?

Your choices are:

1) Washer method - I don't want to type this up again, but search the forums for washer method and how it works. Fkong started this method, I believe, for these S-classes and its the method I'm on now. I used to be a skeptic, but after months going these washers, I love this method. It also works for other cars with Airmatic system too, so browse around the E55 and other forums.
COST: $.70-$5.00
SKILL: An amateur can do it.

2) Modifying the links - Essentially, this works the same way as the washer method, but its sorta like taking it a step further. I will be going this route soon, just for fun. Unlike the washer method, you can go even lower for that aggressive lowering module look. It is also the method used by websites such as adjustableairrides etc. Search the forums, and see if you can come up with anything. Fkong has done this, and it costed him about $60 (if memory serves me correct?) for two new links to modify and play around with.
COST: $50-$70 (?)
SKILL: Gotta use the dremel, so I guess, Intermediate?

3) Star Diagnostic lowering - Some dealers do this, others don't. This is the easiest way, if your dealer does it. Send your car in, pay them, tell them how low you wish to go, and they'll try to the best of their ability, to lower your car to your needs/wants. Like the washer method, you can only go so low with this method. The good thing is, your physical system is untouched, as everything is done through the Mercedes Star Diagnostic system.
COST: $150-$350
SKILL: Gotta be able to make phone calls and drive to the dealer

4) Lower Module - I like to refer to this method as the most professional method to lower our cars. Different modules will give you different lowering limits, and some will let you drive around the body slammed to the ground (if that's what you're into). Look into companies such as RennTech, Kleemann, Brabus and Carlsson (might be forgetting a few others). Once again, search the forums for more information, they make certain modules just for ABC cars.
COST: $800-$1500
SKILL: Unless you're doing it yourself, just send it to a certified shop to do it

Hope this is legible. Had a few drinks and I'm sorta trippin.

Last edited by newton22; 12-29-2006 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:05 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 S500
Sorry.

B) My rear passenger window doesn't go all the way down (trust me, I played with it even in the backseat), but the rear driver's side does. No noises, doesn't seem to be "catching" on anything. Any ideas?

Thanks Newton.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
Originally Posted by Aleksandar
Sorry.

B) My rear passenger window doesn't go all the way down (trust me, I played with it even in the backseat), but the rear driver's side does. No noises, doesn't seem to be "catching" on anything. Any ideas?

Thanks Newton.
Edited my first post for lowering solutions...

I don't know about that window issue, though, its definately an issue. Do you still have warranty? Might take that into the dealer. Could be an issue with the window motor.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:24 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 S500
Great info on the edit Newton. Its not the price that bothers me, its the safety issue. I have owned a few bagged vehicles, and two juiced (hydraulic) suspensions, so I'm no stranger to suspensions, but I must admit that this is my first MB product, so I am sorta a stranger to the ABC/Airmatics. I like my money, so if its possible, I'd go the cheapest but safest way possible. I'm not looking to hammer the car, but that front gap has got to go, period (even worse with the ABC up all the way). I will look into the links further, see what I can mess around with.
Thanks for all your help bud.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:21 AM

BMW 535i Turbo, E36 M3
did you buy the car from a guy named carl?
Old 12-30-2006, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
B) Why does my driver's side rear window go all the way down, but my passenger rear is up almost 3"?
C) When I hit my W/S button on the center console (to the left of the shifter), I see no changes anywhere on the dash. Should I be seeing a light, a change of some sort?

Aleksandar
B) You can try resetting the window by following the procedure in the following link - which is also useful for all kinds of resets that are not documented in the owner's manual. See https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ight=ESP+Reset If the reset procedure doesn't work, you may have to have it serviced. It is supposed to go all the way down.

Incidentally, if your car has the easy exit option (not all do), and your steering wheel does not swing up or lower after easy exit is activated, it can be reset the same way. If easy exit is present in your '00, you activate it by a rotary knob on the end of the steering column adjustment stalk (as I recall) - the stalk is lower left, behind the steering wheel. You may also need to activate easy exit in the multifunction display menus (that's how it's done in my '05 - I don't remember if that is also required in the '00). The stalk switch may be the only activation required in the '00.

However, before you use the reset feature on your steering column, be SURE your steering column will move both up and down in response to the stalk. If it only moves in one direction, especially down, do not use the reset procedure. Have the adjustment serviced.

In addition, in easy exit the driver seat slides back - but only if it is positioned pretty far forward. If it is already back far enough according to parameters that Mercedes sets, the seat remains in place.

For a bit more on how this works, see https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ighlight=reset

C) In your instrument cluster next to the gear selector indicator (below the tachometer) you should see the letter change from W to S and back when you press the button. By the way, it is not a "rocker" switch - it is a straight up & down toggle switch. The labeling of "W" and "S" on the ends of the switch can be misleading. Just push it straight down in the center.

In your '00, "W" adjusts the electronic shift controller to start you off in second gear (e.g., for wet conditions). "S" is for "standard" (or possibly "sport" - in any case, dry) conditions and starts you off in first gear. In later models it does exactly the same thing but the modes are labeled "S" (sport, which is actually standard) and "C" (comfort).

The change in labeling may be one of the differences in the electronic owner's manual (available online from MBUSA, but only as far back as the '04 model) and the print version for '00. I sent you links to the owners online section - but the difference (aside from COMAND, which is covered by a different manual altogether, to which I gave you a link) isn't too hard to figure out between the '00 and the '04. It's in the "automatic shift" portion of the "controls in detail" section. And you'll also find that you can manually control your gear ranges ("one-touch gearshifting").

No need to apologize for asking questions. Getting and giving answers is why we participate in the forums. But, we'd prefer not to deal with material already directly covered in the owners manuals. As I suggested before - read the manuals. Even the electronic versions will help until you receive the printed set you ordered. Plus, they're electronically searchable.
I realize you don't have your printed set yet, but please follow up on the resources given already - then, if you have a question, search the forums using the search tool. After that, if you still have questions, fire away!

Last edited by Skylaw; 12-30-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Great info on the edit Newton. Its not the price that bothers me, its the safety issue. I have owned a few bagged vehicles, and two juiced (hydraulic) suspensions, so I'm no stranger to suspensions, but I must admit that this is my first MB product, so I am sorta a stranger to the ABC/Airmatics. I like my money, so if its possible, I'd go the cheapest but safest way possible. I'm not looking to hammer the car, but that front gap has got to go, period (even worse with the ABC up all the way). I will look into the links further, see what I can mess around with.
Thanks for all your help bud.
Aleksander,,

I hope you are exaggerating about how much higher you car is in the front versus the rear. THe S-class doesn't have that much of a huge difference between the front and rear wheel gaps.
I'm not going to speculate as to why your's is, but i am curious.
Did you buy this car preowned?
There could be various reason why the fron and rear heights seem strange.
The links that these guys are referring to for height adjustment may be the culprit. The rear Link on these cars is adjustable whereas the two front links are not.
Maybe someone played around with your rear links and that's why it sits so low. OR. your rear shocks are shot but if this is the case, your car will always be pumping air to the rear to try to get the proper height which will kill your pump. Let's hope this is not the case.

How about posting a pic of your car so we can take a look at how it sits?
Old 12-31-2006, 12:51 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 S500
Originally Posted by bubbenzo
did you buy the car from a guy named carl?
Yes, matter of fact, I did. Care to elaborate (I'm scared at this point in time as to how you would know that)?
Old 12-31-2006, 12:53 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 S500
Originally Posted by my06clk
Aleksander,,

I hope you are exaggerating about how much higher you car is in the front versus the rear. THe S-class doesn't have that much of a huge difference between the front and rear wheel gaps.
I'm not going to speculate as to why your's is, but i am curious.
Did you buy this car preowned?
There could be various reason why the fron and rear heights seem strange.
The links that these guys are referring to for height adjustment may be the culprit. The rear Link on these cars is adjustable whereas the two front links are not.
Maybe someone played around with your rear links and that's why it sits so low. OR. your rear shocks are shot but if this is the case, your car will always be pumping air to the rear to try to get the proper height which will kill your pump. Let's hope this is not the case.

How about posting a pic of your car so we can take a look at how it sits?
Going outside to take a picture right this moment.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:00 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 S500
Skylaw, thanks for the info. I ordered the entire kit from ebay (all of the manuals, but just asking questions for the sake of saving some time). I do intend to read it fully as soon as the kit comes in from the seller. Thanks again for your help.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:03 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 S500

Front tire/fender shot

Rear tire/fender shot

Just another overall shot (and yes, I have something clear leaking (not oil out the passenger side this morning, but it could be water from the engine detailing I did earlier, I dunno).

Last edited by Aleksandar; 12-31-2006 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:22 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 S500
Skylaw, thanks for the C help. That was exactly it, I was attempting to use it as a "rocker switch" rather than straight up and down. Silly how I didn't even think about just pushing it straight down.

As for the windows, its just that one window, and I attempted doing it (up/down reset), but to no avail. Once I drop off the door panels to get redone (reupholstered), I'll mess around inside the panel to see what's really going on.

Again, great info, thanks again.
Aleksandar
Old 12-31-2006, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
The wheel arch in the front is higher than the rear. So your car is actually normal and level. That is how it is on most Mercedes. Why? I don't know.

All lowering methods I listed should I allow you to have to the front lower than the rear. Thus, the fender gap is the same front and back. I prefer this look. However, the car from a distance will look "sloped" to the front.

I don't remember my car anymore at stock height. Seeing that you can fit a pack of marlboro on its side in the front is pretty funny. My front gap is roughly what your rear gap looks like. I want to go lower soon, so much that I can barely stick my finger in between the tire and the fender arch.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:13 PM

BMW 535i Turbo, E36 M3
that was a car my mom bought off ebay in january 2005. it was a complete mess from the previous owner with a title that wasn't even in his name. in addition to that, he didn't disclose the many problems the car had. it was sitting in las vegas for about a year after she bought it, she had a bit of work done to it there, then she had it moved to carl's in phoenix where she had the title work done and had him take it to a shop for some finishing work. i'm actually quite surprised all the service records checked out for you. looks like everything has been taken care of now though. the car looks good!

Last edited by bubbenzo; 12-31-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:19 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 S500
Thanks for the info. Carl was really straightforward with the receipts (and let me tell you, some $5600 worth of receipts are in my hands), so I was comfortable spending 19K on this car with the aforementioned receipts. Car has been trouble-free and looks quite good (especially after some Zaino). I do (apparently) have a leak (I thought it was a water drip) somewhere, but also have a phenomenal mechanic here in Phoenix, so I'm really not concerned. I bought it mainly due to comfort (well that and price of course), so if it lasts me a year or two, I'll be just fine with that. Thanks for the heads-up though, its appreciated.
Aleksandar
Old 12-31-2006, 07:49 PM

BMW 535i Turbo, E36 M3
yeah my mom said she put $12k into the car in the last two years, in addition to the $26.5 she paid for it. we didn't even drive it as long as we owned it. haha
Old 12-31-2006, 08:45 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 S500
Dang. That is a lot of money spent. We shall see how it holds up, but its in safe hands now
Old 12-31-2006, 10:32 PM

BMW 535i Turbo, E36 M3
yeah man, have fun with it. i wish i didn't move away so i could have some fun with it! :p
Old 01-01-2007, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Skylaw, thanks for the C help. That was exactly it, I was attempting to use it as a "rocker switch" rather than straight up and down. Silly how I didn't even think about just pushing it straight down.
Aleksandar
Yup. I learned that lesson the hard way, too. Couldn't get the "W" and "S" to change on the instrument cluster, brought it up to the service rep at its first service. Darned thing sure looks like a rocker switch!!

Another cute "Hidden" device is the voice control button. When I bought my '00 I did not get a VC manual. Didn't even know I had voice control. Finally I pushed the bottom right button on the steering wheel, (the darned symbol is a microphone!), and nothing happened - until the audio said "Cancelled." Finally, one time I pushed it, and the Help menu came up - and I learned that I had voice control. I learned the commands from that menu before I was able to obtain the manual - and the only one the dealer could get was for an '01 - which had more commands, and controlled more. I liked that, so I bought an '01 VCM on e-bay and replaced mine - and got far more flexibility. The '00 VCM controlled only phone features. The '01 and later control radio, CD changer, phone, and (in an undocumented feature) will call up the Nav screen (say "Navigation"). It won't let you control the Nav once the screen is up (that feature came later), but it will get you there. An easy DIY upgrade (more at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...2000-s500.html ). Paul H. Dick's site also has the phone bulletins with photos and instructions on installing phone components and the voice control module (VCM). See http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsit..._bulletins.htm

One other difference in the voice control is that only the '00 has a steering wheel button for it. Later models use a stalk on the steering column.

Last edited by Skylaw; 01-01-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo

Front tire/fender shot

Rear tire/fender shot

Just another overall shot (and yes, I have something clear leaking (not oil out the passenger side this morning, but it could be water from the engine detailing I did earlier, I dunno).
I still think in sits funny. Here is how mine sat before I lowered it. maybe I was just lucky. The Stock height should be around 28.5 or so in the front at the middle of the arch and 1/2 to 3/4 lower in the back. Your car looks like a 2003 C240. by the Gap. Check out how mine sat. before I washered it.
Attached Thumbnails So, just wondering if I can ask a bunch of questions to avoid numerous posts?-s430_006a.jpg  
Old 01-01-2007, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
Haha, glad I wasn't the only one that thought the WS button looked like a rocker switch a while back.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2000 S430, 1999 E 320, 2 K5 blazers,
Hey Alek,
man your car looks identical to mine when i got it. It sat just like yours however i ended up putting 19' with 35 series on the front and 45 on the back big mistake. From your info on cars im sure you are going to fix it up a bit. what ever you do dont put 35's on the front your ride will go to **** and the gap only gets bigger. I have been reading up on the washer idea, and the only people that are have problems with it are the ones that have not done it. I will be doing it this weekend.

Congrats on your first benz and if you take care of your car it will take care of you.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 S500
Thanks for all the info guys. I am getting the links from John (better safe than sorry), and its going in to my mechanic to get the leak (definetely hydraulic fluid leak....) taken care of. Other than that, car's been phenomenal. Now for those 19s ....