S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Few days left with my 2003 S500...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Red face Few days left with my 2003 S500...

Well a couple of things...

So I was so excited about the new key that Benzondubz posted on here and I ordered one and I got it, and it was cool... for the time being. So enter this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w164/180728-just-arrived-07-ml350.html ... Now I have two of those same keys and it's not so cool any more...

But anyways, I am trading my trusted and loved S500 for a newer one. I am deciding between several 2004-2005 S500 4MATICs, all with fewer than 22K miles on them, all are from MB Dealers, CPO of course. Two of them have the sports package installed, so those are my targets, if those dealers try to give me a crappy price for my current car, I will go for a non sports package one. 4MATIC is very important from what I witnessed, when we had that little snow fall and there was about an inch of snow on the ground, my car was driving like ***, but I don't blame it, it's a non-4MATIC and it has the AMGs on it with the Michelin Sport tires on it.

Two questions for you guys, as I have zero experience with this process...

Should I give them the AMG wheels AND the stock wheels? Or should I take the AMGs off and give them the stocks? Does it matter when I bring it in for them to appraise it?

Second question, when I bring it to the dealers, how clean should I make the car? Would you advise I Zaino the car or is the dealer not so worried with the paint but more the mileage on the car?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220 M113K
Originally Posted by Oxygen
Well a couple of things...

So I was so excited about the new key that Benzondubz posted on here and I ordered one and I got it, and it was cool... for the time being. So enter this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=180728 ... Now I have two of those same keys and it's not so cool any more...

But anyways, I am trading my trusted and loved S500 for a newer one. I am deciding between several 2004-2005 S500 4MATICs, all with fewer than 22K miles on them, all are from MB Dealers, CPO of course. Two of them have the sports package installed, so those are my targets, if those dealers try to give me a crappy price for my current car, I will go for a non sports package one. 4MATIC is very important from what I witnessed, when we had that little snow fall and there was about an inch of snow on the ground, my car was driving like ***, but I don't blame it, it's a non-4MATIC and it has the AMGs on it with the Michelin Sport tires on it.

Two questions for you guys, as I have zero experience with this process...

Should I give them the AMG wheels AND the stock wheels? Or should I take the AMGs off and give them the stocks? Does it matter when I bring it in for them to appraise it?

Second question, when I bring it to the dealers, how clean should I make the car? Would you advise I Zaino the car or is the dealer not so worried with the paint but more the mileage on the car?

id make it look good, and possibly return it to stock and tell them you have these rims and see what they say, theyll deff ask you if there interested if there curbed or anything and the tread on them, so i guess make it look new
Old 02-08-2007, 09:25 PM

in sig
Whats the point ?
03-06 look exactly the same,if i were i would put the extra money in and get a 07 S550
Old 02-08-2007, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 M113K
Originally Posted by blk350
Whats the point ?
03-06 look exactly the same,if i were i would put the extra money in and get a 07 S550
thats a good point maybe even a CLS
Old 02-08-2007, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Can't help with the wheels. For a newer car the dealer might keep on the lot it helps to have the trade-in look as good as you can when it is appraised. It's less important for older cars that will be wholesaled.

But I strongly recommend the 4-Matic. They're great on dry roads in addition to the snow. I drive one in Florida, and they're great in our occasional torrential downpours.

And despite the rave reviews of W221 owners (big, handles great, etc) - I just don't like its looks that much. Saw one parked beside my '05 yesterday - same color. I'll take the exterior appearance of mine in a heartbeat.

Last edited by Skylaw; 02-08-2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
Make it as stock as possible and keep the AMG rims...the dealer won't give you any more for the car on trade with or with out them. They will not work out on the 4matic if they are staggered...if they are 4 of a kind, put them on the 4matic in the summer...otherwise sell them.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S-Class
Originally Posted by fusion2007
WRONG!!!!!!!!!! 03+ has new and better looking headlights and a better front bumper and rear bumper and they have the widescreen nav and in teh 03+ they have fixed most of the bugs that were causing problems in yrs before.. and if u buy the new s550 rite now ur gonna end up with a alot of bugs in it. never ever buy a new model of a car because they have all the flaws in it.
Correct if I am wrong, but he already owns an 03 S500?
Old 02-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
WRONG!!!!!!!!!! 03+ has new and better looking headlights and a better front bumper and rear bumper and they have the widescreen nav and in teh 03+ they have fixed most of the bugs that were causing problems in yrs before.. and if u buy the new s550 rite now ur gonna end up with a alot of bugs in it. never ever buy a new model of a car because they have all the flaws in it.
and thats what we're saying...03-06 look the same. dvd nav was added in 04 though. and few minor things such as the memory rear view mirror were taken out i beleive
Old 02-09-2007, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Originally Posted by IluvS500
and thats what we're saying...03-06 look the same. dvd nav was added in 04 though. and few minor things such as the memory rear view mirror were taken out i beleive
'04 also got the 7-spd. The facelift lighting is subjective, it just looks newer to me, not necessarily better.

Oxygen, I would part the car out and sell everything non-stock separately. Sell them in the classifieds, you will make extra pocket change that way.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:31 AM

in sig

LOL ,i know im saying that cuz he already drives 03
Old 02-09-2007, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by newton22
'04 also got the 7-spd. The facelift lighting is subjective, it just looks newer to me, not necessarily better.

Oxygen, I would part the car out and sell everything non-stock separately. Sell them in the classifieds, you will make extra pocket change that way.
I can't take out the Brabus cams and springs, I am also not taking out the Denso plugs, but I already removed the suspension control module so it rides at stock height.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by blk350
LOL ,i know im saying that cuz he already drives 03
Right I have an '03 but it already has decent mileage on it. I will not buy the W221 because it just does not appeal to me.

I think the W221 might look a little "cooler", but I would never cheat on the W220, that car is absolutely beautiful, inside and out, it's perfection. After this trade, my next car is going to be a W220 AMG vehicle, maybe a 55 or a 65, depending on how my life is a few years down the road...

But W220 is the way to go. Love it.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
I can't take out the Brabus cams and springs, I am also not taking out the Denso plugs, but I already removed the suspension control module so it rides at stock height.
Let me know everything you are parting out. I may just be interested in something.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Make sure you don't mention any of those mods you did to the dealer. They'll seem to deduct that from your trade then turn around and advertise with those mods.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:51 PM

2004 S500
Here's a bizzare scenario....can you imagine if the dealer CPO's that car and some time down the road one of those cams gets a flat spot or burns a bearing and gets replaced with a stock cam? One side is running at a different lift/duration vs. the other? Jesus what a tuning nightmare.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
Originally Posted by kenstudios
Make sure you don't mention any of those mods you did to the dealer. They'll seem to deduct that from your trade then turn around and advertise with those mods.
Wow, now you have me thinking. Will they ever find out?

"But Bob, I swear my S500 I just bought beat a AMG!"

"Lay off the crack Jack..."
Old 02-09-2007, 06:30 PM

2004 S500
Originally Posted by kenstudios
If the dealer gets any idea that the engine has mods they will lowball the trade below wholesale and dump it on a wholesaler to get it off the yard.

MB dealers don't like keeping modified cars around...they pawn them off to the "bottom feeder" lots.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by sprink49
If the dealer gets any idea that the engine has mods they will lowball the trade below wholesale and dump it on a wholesaler to get it off the yard.

MB dealers don't like keeping modified cars around...they pawn them off to the "bottom feeder" lots.
That's pretty sad. The engine was modified by a professional tuner and it runs like a champion with the Brabus components. I feel kind of dumb giving that stuff away after all the time and effort was put into installing it, but for me to have some one rip apart that engine (again) and replace everything with original OEM components is stupid, so the dealer can keep the engine mods - my loss.

I doubt that my next car is going to have the cams replaced. I will probably do the plugs, suspension module and an Eisenmann 4 pipe exhaust.

I'm stopping at Sovereign Mercedes in Brooklyn and then I'm going t Mercedes of Manhattan - one of the two places will get my business.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 M113K
Sovereign Mercedes isnt bad there service is good, i was in there yesterday getting rear pads. i seen a few 03+ w220 laying around in the CPO area good luck with your choice
Old 02-09-2007, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by 02S430
i seen a few 03+ w220 laying around in the CPO area
They are such fabulous vehicles I hate to seem them laying around.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
So how does one bargain with the dealer about the trade-in value? Or are the rules "What the dealer offers is the final price"... also should I expect the same value at a different dealership or do you think they will all be the same?
Old 02-09-2007, 07:30 PM

2004 S500
My advice would be to slow down and think this through. You will be much better off $ wise selling the car to an individual who will appreciate and pay for what you have done to the car. Take your time in doing this and you will re-coup a greater % of your investment. This will give you more $ to work with towards your new purchase.

Dealers make most of their profit on used car sales and service. You will notice that a used car will only sit on the dealers lot for no more than 30 days. Then it's off to the auction to recover the cash that they have tied up in that unit. A large % of the dealers overhead is in floor planning a car. A dealer won't fool around floor planning a vehicle that doesn't appeal to it's target customers.

At the end of the day the car business is like any other...it's all about cash flow.

Sell that puppy to an individual and move to what you really want. You might learn an important lesson and stay in the game to play again.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 M113K
So how does one bargain with the dealer about the trade-in value? Or are the rules "What the dealer offers is the final price"... also should I expect the same value at a different dealership or do you think they will all be the same?
sprink is totally right private sale is the way to go, you will deff get more then the dealer will give you, and the trade in really matters on the salesman and how much he wants to make off you. goodluck with your choice
Old 02-09-2007, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by sprink49
My advice would be to slow down and think this through. You will be much better off $ wise selling the car to an individual who will appreciate and pay for what you have done to the car. Take your time in doing this and you will re-coup a greater % of your investment. This will give you more $ to work with towards your new purchase.

Dealers make most of their profit on used car sales and service. You will notice that a used car will only sit on the dealers lot for no more than 30 days. Then it's off to the auction to recover the cash that they have tied up in that unit. A large % of the dealers overhead is in floor planning a car. A dealer won't fool around floor planning a vehicle that doesn't appeal to it's target customers.

At the end of the day the car business is like any other...it's all about cash flow.

Sell that puppy to an individual and move to what you really want. You might learn an important lesson and stay in the game to play again.
I agree with you!

But my only problem is, I work like a slave and I do not have any time on the weekdays to play salesman.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Keep it. No but's, no what-if's...this is very simple my friend, keep the car. First off, with the Brabus work done to it, you will be wasting even more money than just a simple trade-in at a "let me bend you over" price. You like the car, you enjoy driving it, so hold on to it.

Now, about that AWD issue. Pick up a CPO Volvo S40 or a CPO Audi A4. Both safe, reliable cars that will be more than capable in the snow. And, you a have a luxurious errand-car. Trust me, if it wasn't for the aftermarket work on the car, I would say the 4Matic would be the best choice. My family has one, they are great! But, considering what you spent on the car, it will be more of a loss.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...000&cardist=15

Last edited by HLG600; 02-09-2007 at 10:01 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Few days left with my 2003 S500...