$395 Ecu Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS 550
$395 Ecu Upgrade?

inmotiontuning.com
Has anyone ever heard of them. They seem to charge $395 for an ECU upgrade.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CLS 63 S AMG , s500,clk550
Originally Posted by tmushy
inmotiontuning.com
Has anyone ever heard of them. They seem to charge $395 for an ECU upgrade.
i would use the companies that sponsor this forum not anyone else... only because there reconized and alot of people on the forum have dealt with them soo its a safer to deal with them
Old 03-21-2007, 05:11 PM

2012 CLS 550
but none of them charge 395. Btw 395 is a fair price. I know the tools and software they use and after your initial purchase of the hardware (which isnt as much as you think it would be) there is no cost to programming the chip.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
I would only trust reputable companies to tune my ECU. Would you rather pay over a grand to have a reputable company tune your ECU with real results, or a company that corrupts your ECU for $395? I have heard horror stories about companies completely screwing up tunes, and forcing owners to reflash their ECUs at the dealer at the end.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:26 PM

but none of them charge 395. Btw 395 is a fair price. I know the tools and software they use and after your initial purchase of the hardware (which isnt as much as you think it would be) there is no cost to programming the chip.
hardware??umm broo there is no hardware for the consumer to really purchase to tune an ecu!! and ecu is connected to a computer and programmed i dont understand what hardware you the buyer... would have to buy? and honestly u can get good deals probably not that low but a little bit more expensive from other companies that are listed here on the forum... if something happens to ur ecu its not gonna be pretty and the software that they load onto the ecu is even the slightest bit currupt ur gonna be regretting everything and sometimes its not reversable.. its up to you though!!! good luck!!! let us know how it feels!!

also whats the hp gain along with the torque?
Old 03-21-2007, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
The cost of developing an ECU software for a mercedes is not cheap at all. If these "unknown" tuners are charging for $375, I am pretty sure its a stolen old software. Tuners like Renntech, kleemann updates their software constantly and software updates are not cheap because tuners have to test the softwares on dynos repeatedly to find the best combination of tune files.

Thats why i remind my clients to purchase a well known tuner ecu upgrade because it will save the hassle of going into the dealerships and explaning to them what happened to the car.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:40 PM

2012 CLS 550
Originally Posted by fusion2007
hardware??umm broo there is no hardware for the consumer to really purchase to tune an ecu!! and ecu is connected to a computer and programmed i dont understand what hardware you the buyer... would have to buy? and honestly u can get good deals probably not that low but a little bit more expensive from other companies that are listed here on the forum... if something happens to ur ecu its not gonna be pretty and the software that they load onto the ecu is even the slightest bit currupt ur gonna be regretting everything and sometimes its not reversable.. its up to you though!!! good luck!!! let us know how it feels!!

also whats the hp gain along with the torque?

Incorrect
If you did not know ecu tuning is very big in europe but not in the U.S. There is hardware that you can buy (programmers do cost a bit) but it is very hard to aquire unless you know the right people. There are ECU upgrades included with the hardware for all cars including mercedes bmw etc.... so there really isnt anything you would need to do

Basically what I believe that site has done is just aquired one of these programmers (which I believe there is only a few hundred in the U.S.) and programs them for cheap to make up cost of the units.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
Are you talking about the programmers that you plug into your OBDII port? We have these here too, but there are primarily popular with domestics and trucks.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:16 PM

2012 CLS 550
Originally Posted by newton22
Are you talking about the programmers that you plug into your OBDII port? We have these here too, but there are primarily popular with domestics and trucks.
No the actual chip programmers. My friend is getting one so hes been doing his research. They really try to keep them out of reach to consumers. A lot easier to get them in europe. He owns a dyno so hell be tuning his sl 600 to peak performance. Then he plans on doing my car for free (its an s500 so horsepower gain is max 30 hp but hey its free)

But if he doesn't get one I was looking at this $395 tune.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
No the actual chip programmers. My friend is getting one so hes been doing his research. They really try to keep them out of reach to consumers. A lot easier to get them in europe. He owns a dyno so hell be tuning his sl 600 to peak performance. Then he plans on doing my car for free (its an s500 so horsepower gain is max 30 hp but hey its free)

But if he doesn't get one I was looking at this $395 tune.
Well, if you do, please let us know of the results. Again, I usually do not recommend unknown companies, but it's your call.

Good luck on that.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
$395 sure sounds good and hard to believe for that price but if I wanted to upgrade my ECU, I'd stick with companies that do modifications on Benz.(renntech,kleemann) etc....
Old 03-21-2007, 09:23 PM

Incorrect
If you did not know ecu tuning is very big in europe but not in the U.S. There is hardware that you can buy (programmers do cost a bit) but it is very hard to aquire unless you know the right people. There are ECU upgrades included with the hardware for all cars including mercedes bmw etc.... so there really isnt anything you would need to do

Basically what I believe that site has done is just aquired one of these programmers (which I believe there is only a few hundred in the U.S.) and programs them for cheap to make up cost of the units.
interesting i didnt know that. iv never heard of those things. i know about the system they used to connect to our cars system under the steering wheel. i wouldnt trust my self doing these kinda things to my car id rather have professional and only professionals handle the all the electronics and computer systems of my car.. but thats just me.. its ur car and ur gonna do what ever makes u happy. good luck though keep us updated
Old 03-21-2007, 09:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
What we did in the '90's with Firebirds and Camaros was pretty cool. You can buy blank chips and copy the stock program to it. You then get a print out of the code on the chip and re-write sections of the code relative to timing, mixture,converter lock up, shift points, etc. It helps to plug an OBDII cable into a Lap Top and have some one observe what is going on at certain times while you are driving. As I recall, one of the easiest things to do was remove the speed limiter. Can this be done with Mercedes?...probably but compared to the GM ECU's from ten years ago, our ECU's are VERY BUSY so modification requires some real serious *** and head scratching!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 06:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
Originally Posted by sprink49
What we did in the '90's with Firebirds and Camaros was pretty cool. You can buy blank chips and copy the stock program to it. You then get a print out of the code on the chip and re-write sections of the code relative to timing, mixture,converter lock up, shift points, etc. It helps to plug an OBDII cable into a Lap Top and have some one observe what is going on at certain times while you are driving. As I recall, one of the easiest things to do was remove the speed limiter. Can this be done with Mercedes?...probably but compared to the GM ECU's from ten years ago, our ECU's are VERY BUSY so modification requires some real serious *** and head scratching!!!
The gains on domestic trucks, especially diesels (Duramax, Cummins etc.) are unbelievable with chips.

I have seen proven dyno results. Plug the $250 programmer in, follow all directions precisely, and whoa! Your truck now has 65 more horsepower and 95 lb-ft more torque.