S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Anyone Have This Stuck In Park Problem?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S430
Does anyone know of a mechanic in the DC area that can help with this? One who won't charge me a Mercedes price just because they can? I agree as well. This forum is GREAT!!! I was freaking out as we have just put about $1000 in our S430 4matic for a strut and I was not looking forward to paying out another $1000 so soon. Thanks for the help and any info on a DC area mechanic who can help!!!

PS if anyone has a strut problem please check these guys...Mercedes wanted to charge me $1200 for the strut and I paid $500.

http://www.arnottindustries.com/

Last edited by jacksons2010; 08-26-2010 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Didn't say how much I appreciated the site!!
Old 08-26-2010, 03:39 PM

S500
Same problem on my 2004 S500

So I understand about the plastic lever, however could there be something else gone bad?

My car finally froze in "park" after numerous lock-ups and now my mechanic wants to replace the whole unit. $500 for whole assembly and $350 for labor.

I am contemplating between trying to have him replace the lever (he claims he's been a mechanic for 13 years but never done it) or just replace the whole assembly becuase I heard from another guy there is a "magnetic" part that goes bad causing to loose the signal.

So ultimate question is it def a bad lever or could it be an electrical issue?

Also, if it's just a lever, are there vendors in US that sell them?

I caught this from earlier post http://www.sc3.com.au/monoglobal/index.php?cat=2592 but I am not sure which exact one I need.

Stuck!
Old 08-27-2010, 09:05 PM

2003 S430
Can anyone suggest a reputable shop to make this fix in the San Jose area?
I went to pick up a six pack of beer and had to walk all the way home.
My S-430 is still in the parking lot.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by DJMisha
So I understand about the plastic lever, however could there be something else gone bad?

My car finally froze in "park" after numerous lock-ups and now my mechanic wants to replace the whole unit. $500 for whole assembly and $350 for labor.

I am contemplating between trying to have him replace the lever (he claims he's been a mechanic for 13 years but never done it) or just replace the whole assembly becuase I heard from another guy there is a "magnetic" part that goes bad causing to loose the signal.

So ultimate question is it def a bad lever or could it be an electrical issue?

Also, if it's just a lever, are there vendors in US that sell them?

I caught this from earlier post http://www.sc3.com.au/monoglobal/index.php?cat=2592 but I am not sure which exact one I need.

Stuck!

did you read any posts in this thread?
Old 08-31-2010, 01:34 PM

2003 s500
Just did this fix last night in about 2.5 hours. It was easy and I am no certified mechanic. The video posted on you tube is a great way to prepare for the job and then follow along as it goes. Thanks to all those who posted here and especially the guy that did the video.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:26 PM

2003 S500 AMG Sport Package
Thumbs up Stuck in park on 2003 S500 AMG Sort Package

First I want to thank everyone who had a tip on this subject. You guys saved me a ton of money especially the guy with the youtube video. BIG THANK YOU! So now a tip of my own. My cost for this repair was FREE.
I work in Aerospace and am familiar with some really strong glues. I used some Henkel Hysol EA9394 epoxy. This stuff is used to bond steel and titanium. I used a little to bond my broken plastic part and it is now hard as a rock. I filed it down and made it nice and smooth so as to not contact the chassis inside but left a thick enough wall so it will not break in that point again. I added a little grease and assembled it all back and now works perfectly. Again if anyone is planning on bonding this part back together you MUST use very strong adhesive. Crazy Glue or or those 5min epoxies will not cut it. So this is just another option to all who have tight budgets.
Also, I had issues on how to remove the shifter since my car has the key-less go system. I made the mistake of trying to twist it off but doing this WILL BREAK THE PINS INSIDE. The right way is just to grab it with both hands and PULL UP with enough force, it will come off. That's it.
And definitely don't go under the car to remove the gear shift cable, you can take it off from inside the car.
For those who need it here is the Youtube link for the removal of the shifter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsxUFVtdPHk and another video of a mechanic going over disassembly of the unit: http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=MDUmdD3koqE&feature=related
Good luck to y'all.

Last edited by garyizd1; 09-15-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:30 PM

2003 s430 4 matic
well if it helps anyone chk this place out there in Florida u can order the piece and put it in yourself http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDUmd...eature=related its the best Ive seen this far good detail.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:35 PM

2003 s430 4 matic
found plastic piece cheap

guys just found it on ebay hers a link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-01...Q5fAccessories
Old 10-20-2010, 06:57 PM

S430 MB, Harley-Davidson Classic
Originally Posted by admany2
My 2001 S500 got stuck in park, so I looked at this forum for suggestions as I always do. There were no answers other than call roadside assistance and let them hammer the shifter out of park and take it to the dealer to have it repaired. The price tag was high and my curiousity got the best of me. As it always does, so I again looked at my WIS program for help in fixing the problem. There was no real help other than how to remove the shifter box.
So...I removed the shifter box. This entailed removing the center console to get to the shifter box. I had to also unattach the linkage under the car to get the shifter box out of the car.
Once out, I proceeded to unassemble the shifter box.
What I discover was amazing. There is a small plastic part ( I estimate about 10 cents in quantity) that is responsible for allowing the shifter to be taken out of park. It is activated by a solenoid that pushes the plastic part to allow the shifter to come out of park. Most of the parts in the box were metal. This particular part is plastic and very frail. Obviously a victum of very poor engineering. It is easy to see that this part will become stressed over time and fail.
My concern is that we are all good MBZ owners and take our cars to the dealer for repair most of the time. This is certainly not a DIY normal job, but my curiousity got the best of me.
The part can be replaced ( I think) although the pin that allows the part to move is pressed into the housing of the shifter box. I was not able to press it out, as space was very restrictive. The way it was engineered I suspect MBZ never intended to replace this part. In my estimation, this is certainly a candidate for a recall. Obviously when you take your car to MBZ for repair, they replace the whole box and never tell you actually what was wrong. I read that one person paid $1,300.00 for this repair. A little high for a 10 cent part that is a very poor excuse for this kind of use.
I know what you are thinking. Maybe the other shifter boxes had something else wrong with them. Could be true. However, in looking over the entire box, not much could go wrong. The design is very simple and very low tech. If you want more information post your concerns.
I am going to contact MBZ about this problem to see what their response is. Nobody should have to pay for this problem. It is definitly an MBZ problem. Not your normal wear and tear.
Oh BTW, I removed the remainder of the broken part so I could use the car while researching this problem. Everything works fine, the only thing is that you do not have to step on the brake to take the car out of park now. Operates like the old cars before steering and park lock outs.
I realize this thread is dated...but the problem persists. I am also victim to this cheap plastic lever. Only now after having dealer do $1500 worth of "magic" to replace the entire selector and reprogram...do I find there is a quicker, cheaper fix...that will last. An aluminum lever is available for about $170 US...vs $900 for selector module (2002 S430 with 30 000 original miles). Search MonoGlobal Pty. Ltd.
I'd be interested to know if you had any success enlightening Mercedes about the ill thought out and cheap yet CRITICAL plastic lever inside the selector housing.
Thanks
Old 10-20-2010, 08:09 PM

none
Hi 911Benz,

I've got the metal part in at the moment and I'd change back to the plastic one if I wasn't so lazy. It clicks a bit when you start and stop as it is heavier there is a bit more play and it moves in the lever box. Gets annoying. Also starting to find that the shifter is harder to move as the metal part doesn't lift as easily as the plastic part. If you pull one apart you'll see what I mean.

Josh
Old 10-22-2010, 11:10 AM

06 S500L, 05 SLK 350, 08 C200
Thank you forum !!! -My gear selector was getting a bit sticky and thought it would be wise to some preventive maintenance.
I was quoted AUD $2500 by the stealer. I checked the forum and I contacted Monoglobal, Matthew is a real gentleman.
Apparently there is no way to tell which of the 2 available parts is required until inspected. He sent both parts, ( return unused part for a refund). I had a mechanic do the install for $300 and $139 for the part. All done - no problems.

Matthew suggested changing the brake light switch at the same time as his experience was this could be another reason for sticking in park.

So, thanks again to the forum,
Old 10-22-2010, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinto
Originally Posted by sanjosebenz
Can anyone suggest a reputable shop to make this fix in the San Jose area?
I went to pick up a six pack of beer and had to walk all the way home.
My S-430 is still in the parking lot.

hey im in san jose..i can do for you contact me if anything..
Old 11-23-2010, 05:47 PM

2003 S 500
S500 stuck in park

I would like to thank Admany2 for posting his findings on this forum. Our S 500 locked in park and would not budge. I did the same procedure, removed the console and shifter assembly. Disassembled the shifter far enough to remove the fractured part and reassembled everything. It works great and you needn't step on the brake to get out of park. I think we'll leave it this way to avoid another stranding. It took me about 1.5 hours in the parking lot it broke in. Don't forget metric allen wrenches and torx sockets!
Old 11-28-2010, 03:00 PM

S500 2004
Shifter issue

Originally Posted by admany2
My 2001 S500 got stuck in park, so I looked at this forum for suggestions as I always do. There were no answers other than call roadside assistance and let them hammer the shifter out of park and take it to the dealer to have it repaired. The price tag was high and my curiousity got the best of me. As it always does, so I again looked at my WIS program for help in fixing the problem. There was no real help other than how to remove the shifter box.
So...I removed the shifter box. This entailed removing the center console to get to the shifter box. I had to also unattach the linkage under the car to get the shifter box out of the car.
Once out, I proceeded to unassemble the shifter box.
What I discover was amazing. There is a small plastic part ( I estimate about 10 cents in quantity) that is responsible for allowing the shifter to be taken out of park. It is activated by a solenoid that pushes the plastic part to allow the shifter to come out of park. Most of the parts in the box were metal. This particular part is plastic and very frail. Obviously a victum of very poor engineering. It is easy to see that this part will become stressed over time and fail.
My concern is that we are all good MBZ owners and take our cars to the dealer for repair most of the time. This is certainly not a DIY normal job, but my curiousity got the best of me.
The part can be replaced ( I think) although the pin that allows the part to move is pressed into the housing of the shifter box. I was not able to press it out, as space was very restrictive. The way it was engineered I suspect MBZ never intended to replace this part. In my estimation, this is certainly a candidate for a recall. Obviously when you take your car to MBZ for repair, they replace the whole box and never tell you actually what was wrong. I read that one person paid $1,300.00 for this repair. A little high for a 10 cent part that is a very poor excuse for this kind of use.
I know what you are thinking. Maybe the other shifter boxes had something else wrong with them. Could be true. However, in looking over the entire box, not much could go wrong. The design is very simple and very low tech. If you want more information post your concerns.
I am going to contact MBZ about this problem to see what their response is. Nobody should have to pay for this problem. It is definitly an MBZ problem. Not your normal wear and tear.
Oh BTW, I removed the remainder of the broken part so I could use the car while researching this problem. Everything works fine, the only thing is that you do not have to step on the brake to take the car out of park now. Operates like the old cars before steering and park lock outs.
Thank you. Same problem with my 2004 S500 that has only 57,000 miles. Makes you wonder... the car is only as excellent as its weakest link. How many other expensive surprises are there?
Old 11-29-2010, 01:09 PM

S500
Originally Posted by Peter3001
Thank you. Same problem with my 2004 S500 that has only 57,000 miles. Makes you wonder... the car is only as excellent as its weakest link. How many other expensive surprises are there?
I just replaced the air pump for the suspension, heard the shocks go bad often as well. Mine is 04 with 96K miles, hopefully the shocks will last as they are expensive..
Old 12-07-2010, 01:47 PM

85 Ferrair 308, 03 500sl, 04 s430
Stuck in Park

I HAVE HAD THIS ISSUE WITH MY FORMER 2000 S AND MY CURRENT 03 SL.
I AM SURE THAT IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN AND ALSO SURE THAT MB WILL NEVER STEP UP AND TAKE CARE OF THIS PROBLEM.

ANYONE KNOW OF A DC AREA SHOP THAT CAN DO THE EXTRACTION?
Old 12-07-2010, 07:22 PM

2003 S430
How to pry the pin from the cable?

Got a 2003 S430 myself that got stuck in park. Thanks to this forum, I got started on fixing it myself. I got the center console removed and am stuck on the step where you pry the pin from the cable? I am looking at the youtube video and tried the same thing but looks like its a little hard to nudge it out. I am scared that I might force and break the damn piece somewhere.

Did it take considerable effort/leverage to pry the pin out or was it a smooth operation?

Any others have pictures of where to pull the tab and pry the cable? Please.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:05 PM

2003 S430
Quick Update: I finally got to pry the pin after a little more effort on the tab. The fix thereafter was easy and I got to remove the rivet with the 1/8 bit. I will be ordering the part soon and install it. Thanks to all the folks here for the tremendous amount of information put out here. Like someone said: all it takes is some cahunas to tackle the MB.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:04 PM

mercedes s430
it should be a recall on this
Old 01-19-2011, 12:30 AM

s500
I use Nicks Independant Mercedes repair on National Ave in San Diego. Jim is my go to guy. I have been really impressed with the prices, knowledge and customer service. I am always scared about the cost, and I voice that. My car is stuck in park right now.(not the first time)I have been able to get it out before by just waiting. Not now though. Having it towed in tomorrow. I will let you know the outcome. I feel good about it because of all the info you all posted.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:03 PM

mercedes benz cl500
cl500 stuck in park

Originally Posted by bimmerhead
This is my first post on this web forum, and I like to say Hello to everyone.

I had this same problem with my S500, that it wouldnt shift out of park. I removed the shifter from my car and also found that same little plastic lever broken. I removed the lever from the shifter assembly and everything is now working fine.

The repair took me about 4 hours to do, and as a benefit I found .85 cents in the car.

I am experiencing the same issue with my cl500 and planning to replace the shifter or remove the shifter this weekend. Can someone please provide step by step instructions on how to remove the shifter, pleaaaaaaaaaaaaase help.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:07 PM

mercedes benz cl500
Originally Posted by aubie96
Quick Update: I finally got to pry the pin after a little more effort on the tab. The fix thereafter was easy and I got to remove the rivet with the 1/8 bit. I will be ordering the part soon and install it. Thanks to all the folks here for the tremendous amount of information put out here. Like someone said: all it takes is some cahunas to tackle the MB.
i am experiencing the same issue with my cl500, where did you order the part?
Old 02-16-2011, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
Originally Posted by Obrev001
I am experiencing the same issue with my cl500 and planning to replace the shifter or remove the shifter this weekend. Can someone please provide step by step instructions on how to remove the shifter, pleaaaaaaaaaaaaase help.
May I suggest you read the entire post? If that doesn't provide sufficient info, do a search. There is absolutely tons of DIY info available on this subject.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:13 AM

2005 S430
The guys over at 4Mercedes here in south Florida manufacture a metal replacement for that piece which they guarantee will never break.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
Originally Posted by W220S430
The guys over at 4Mercedes here in south Florida manufacture a metal replacement for that piece which they guarantee will never break.
Have you ever been to this shop? I see you are in Miami. I'm in West Palm and have been meaning to stop in. As I remember, I did see some negative feedback on one of the MB forums regarding repaired instrument clusters .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Anyone Have This Stuck In Park Problem?