Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Weird transmission issue today

Here's a good one..

I'm driving my car to day after about a 45 mile stretch rolling about 60ish. I come to a stop at a stop sign, and when I took off I realize that my car hadn;t downshifted and I was still in 6 or 7th gear.. as it sloooooowly got to 60 mph, I engaged the autostick and could not force it into any gears at all it just stayed where it was...
I came to a stoplight and put the car in park at the light. when the light changed I shifted back to "D" and took off. As i pulled thru the intersection i got a pree-save inactive message on my MFD and the car remained in 1st gear.
I was only 1.5 miles away from the house so i just let it ride about 4Krpm's at 40mph all the way home.
When I got to my garage, I put the car in reverse and it went backwards fine, then I went forward and it engaged kinda hard but it pulled forward. I repeated this once more before shutting the car off.
I immediately started back up and the fault cleared, then the gears semmed to work smoothly again. I took it for a ride down th block and everything was fine..Hmmmmm
later on I went on a 100 mile round trip and had no issues at all.. How weird was that??

I'll let my dealer have a look but I just thought that this was the strangest thing.. never had ANY transmission issues before.. I was advised many months back that the diag. computer said I needed a valve body, but we did a software update, and I went on my way shifting perfectly....

I hope that thing was still wrong.. I am at 97K. and still pretty excited to drive this car..I will be sooooo P/O'd if its something ugly..
Old 10-13-2008, 02:07 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 S500 Sport
A simple restart can fix alot, im surprised you didnt turn it on and off sooner when you noticed the transmission acting up.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Gondon
A simple restart can fix alot, im surprised you didnt turn it on and off sooner when you noticed the transmission acting up.
Well I thought about it, but I didn't want to risk getting stuck being so close to the house and all... There is nothing but cows and snakes between by neighborhood and the city so I wasn't in the mood for walking today..

I'm still going to take it in if I get time this week just for good measure. If not, it's parked anyway till I return from business...
Old 10-13-2008, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
I get all sorts of issues, and restarting the car almost always fixes them. LOL.

Hope it's nothing big.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.

transmission.Do you have an obd2 scanner? $59 at harborfreight tools #94169
scan your pending transmission codes.Looks like you went into limp mode.Anything from a fluid and filter change to a bad turbine input speed sensor.At least you will be armed with some info before you go into the den of thieves.Better yet why not locate a good indie MB shop?Make sure they have an updated star diagnostics machine.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
I had a similar problem yesterday. I was doing about 85 on I-85 (forgot it was the interstate sign and not the speed limit). Anyway, I went to pass a car and really punched it and as soon as I did some idiot pulled out into the left lane so I had to back off. Afterwards, the transmission seemed as if though it wasn't engaging when I pressed the accelerator. I pulled off to the side, turned the car off and everything worked just fine. Seems that whenever the transmission gets in between gears it does some weird stuff. Seems to be working ok now.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ibeforreal
I had a similar problem yesterday. I was doing about 85 on I-85 (forgot it was the interstate sign and not the speed limit). Anyway, I went to pass a car and really punched it and as soon as I did some idiot pulled out into the left lane so I had to back off. Afterwards, the transmission seemed as if though it wasn't engaging when I pressed the accelerator. I pulled off to the side, turned the car off and everything worked just fine. Seems that whenever the transmission gets in between gears it does some weird stuff. Seems to be working ok now.
Yep this is exactly what it seemed like. Since we have different tranny's it must be something common to both of them like the TCM glitch perhaps? I'll monitor to see what happens later on.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:33 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2019 E63s AMG Sedan, 2021 Range Rover Autobiography "50", 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Originally Posted by my06clk
Yep this is exactly what it seemed like. Since we have different tranny's it must be something common to both of them like the TCM glitch perhaps? I'll monitor to see what happens later on.
Same thing happened to my 04 S500 a few months ago. Turned out to be a fried TCM.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by v8plus4
Same thing happened to my 04 S500 a few months ago. Turned out to be a fried TCM.
Thats what I was thinking.. DO you remember what it costs?
Old 10-14-2008, 06:53 PM

2019 E63s AMG Sedan, 2021 Range Rover Autobiography "50", 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Thats what I was thinking.. DO you remember what it costs?

Not sure of the cost, dealership didn't charge me anything. I have a great service advisor, the car was several months out of warranty, but he had MB cover the repair due to the low miles on the car.

I think he said it would have been around $1600, but don't quote me on that.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by v8plus4
Not sure of the cost, dealership didn't charge me anything. I have a great service advisor, the car was several months out of warranty, but he had MB cover the repair due to the low miles on the car.

I think he said it would have been around $1600, but don't quote me on that.
Thanks.. well all had been good for the last couple of days of hard driving, so we'll cross that bridge next tie we get there I guess... Good thing there is nationwide roadside.. and my "you stop on me I will leave you on the side of the road" policy..LoL..

actually I will have it looked at my folks are pretty good here which is very rare.. so I'll get the skinny on if I need to be doing something or not. Like I said it only happened once and never again.. so well see.

Thanks for the info
Old 10-15-2008, 07:05 PM

Thanks.. well all had been good for the last couple of days of hard driving, so we'll cross that bridge next tie we get there I guess... Good thing there is nationwide roadside.. and my "you stop on me I will leave you on the side of the road" policy..LoL..

actually I will have it looked at my folks are pretty good here which is very rare.. so I'll get the skinny on if I need to be doing something or not. Like I said it only happened once and never again.. so well see.

Thanks for the info
Mine started doing it intermittently, and would reset when I restarted the car. The strange thing was that sometimes it would stick in a higher gear, and sometimes it would stick in a lower gear. The last time it stuck before I had it fixed, it wouldn't upshift and wouldnt reset, so I had to flatbed it in to the dealer.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S350 2005
I'm not sure if this holds true in USA, but a close friend of mine works at the (only) dealer in Dubai and he told me that the driveline is under factory warranty for 10 years unlimited miles. That includes the transmission. Also one of the mechanics told me that the computer in the car records EVERY fault.

My guess is that what happened to your car would have been recorded somewhere in the computer.

I would take the car back to the dealer and make them check the faults recorded. If it's a serious issue, they should be obligated to change your transmission for free. You might need to make a little noise about this and possibly tell them that you will write to the company if they don't give you a satisfactory answer.

BTW, this holds true for the original paint as well.. I got a fender pannel on my 2003 C class repainted for free because it started to rust a little. But I did have to force the issue...

Good luck and hope this helps.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by manano
I'm not sure if this holds true in USA, but a close friend of mine works at the (only) dealer in Dubai and he told me that the driveline is under factory warranty for 10 years unlimited miles. That includes the transmission. Also one of the mechanics told me that the computer in the car records EVERY fault.

My guess is that what happened to your car would have been recorded somewhere in the computer.

I would take the car back to the dealer and make them check the faults recorded. If it's a serious issue, they should be obligated to change your transmission for free. You might need to make a little noise about this and possibly tell them that you will write to the company if they don't give you a satisfactory answer.

BTW, this holds true for the original paint as well.. I got a fender pannel on my 2003 C class repainted for free because it started to rust a little. But I did have to force the issue...

Good luck and hope this helps.
Wow Thanks for the info..ill check in that Monday