S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Ipod interface in my '06 220??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 01:08 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 S63, lowered
Ipod interface in my '06 220??

I just purchased an '06 S65 with no Satellite radio- was told by the dealer the Sat radio would be a $1200 install.....and that the car has absolutely no Ipod interface capabilities??

Did MB really build a car in '06 with a sticker price of 180k and NO Ipod interface capabilities??? Please, someone tell me it's not true. I'm going nuts listening to the radio....and burning CD's.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FR-S, GLK, M5, 250KM Eclass
Yea, I have an '06 S500 and would like to know this as well. All the Ipod interfaces I have seen is aftermarket and I assume installing one of these could affect my factory warranty.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
You are both correct that there aren't MB iPod kits for the W220, and the only iPod kits for the '06 W220 are aftermarket. My favorite is the Dension Gateway 500 written up at https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/194660-gateway-500-most-o-good-unit-poor-documentation.html and at https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...51#post2471051

The GW 500 has a switch that takes it out of the fiber optic loop, replacing it with the CD Changer (which you keep). That keeps the GW 500 from giving false codes to STAR diagnostics.

I have had my car serviced several times since installing my unit; the shop manager and head tech are aware of it (in fact, they are fascinated by it and were considering trying to make it available through the Parts Department). There has never been a warranty issue over it, although I cannot speak for all dealers.

The '06 W220 installation would be the same as the '05.

BUSA196, you can also burn DVDs in mp3 format and play them in the single-disc unit in the dash. There is an extensive string on how to do this at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...rning-how.html. While I prefer the iPod because I usually import my music in original higher-fidelity AIFF format, the mp3 DVD solution may work for you. Be advised, getting it right the first time may be a pain - but my 30+ GB music collection is reduced to two 4.7GB mp3 DVDs.

Last edited by Skylaw; 10-16-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:04 PM

The write-up is great skylaw, Thanks! Can we use this unit on an Iphone? Will the bluetooth phone connection work with the Iphone while connected to the gateway?
Old 10-16-2008, 03:19 AM

I also found this aftermarket Ipod integration device that also connects bluetooth phones as well.

http://www.incartronics.com/index.htm

Has anyone tried this or have any feedback on the incartronics company?
Old 10-16-2008, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Twinturba,

To the best of my understanding, the iPhone cellular function will work while connected to the GW 500 as long as it is not in the "airplane" mode (which turns the cell phone feature off). What I do not know for certain, because I do not have an iPhone, is whether the call must be activated on the iPhone itself, or can be activated from the steering wheel controls. Please note that a Bluetooth installation is also required; the GW 500 (alone) does not provide Bluetooth (unless you order its optional BT module).

However, the GW 500 is designed to replace the CDC on the fiber optic loop. If you are using the CDC input when a cell call is necessary, COMAND mutes the CDC and allows the call to proceed. The same thing happens when I use my iPod via the Gateway 500; it acts just like the CDC, and allows the call to proceed.

I believe the same thing happens with the iPhone. The iPhone music output should be muted by COMAND, and the call should proceed over the Bluetooth setup. I believe this would happen because the iPhone itself does the same thing - if you are listening to music, an incoming call mutes the music and allows the call to proceed.

I have not had specific verification of this from any contributors; if it does work this way in the '06 and earlier MB models, we'd certainly appreciate confirmation.

The verification is important because I understand the '07 and later W220 COMANDs with Bluetooth and OE MB iPod kits do not handle it this way. As I understand the chief tech at my dealership, the iPhone must be physically disconnected from the iPod adapter cable to handle calls in the '07 and '08 models.

As noted, the Gateway 500 offers an optional adapter for Bluetooth if you don't already have it, as well. However, it does not offer the full integration that the MB installation does. I do not know how or whether the GW 500 BT adapter would work with the iPhone plugged into the iPod connector.

I have no experience with the MoBridge and InCarTronics devices, so I cannot advise anything regarding iPhone function with them. I do know that there is considerable argument on the forums over whether the device marketed by InCarTronics is a rebranded MoBridge device; the argument is carried on principally between the operator of InCarTronics and one of the original MoBridge development team members. I also know that InCarTronics morphed from a company called EuroCarPhone; and that there were complaints on the forum about customers not receiving merchandise ordered from EuroCarPhone, shortly before it became InCarTronics. I do not know of the truth of any of the allegations on any side of the questions, and I take no positions on them; just be aware that such controversy exists, and do your own research both here and on BenzWorld.

I also know that except for the lousy installation instructions, I have been happy with the Gateway 500 and with Dension, the manufacturer. I have read that InCarTronics offers an online video that assists greatly with installation. Dension could take a lesson there.

Good luck.

Last edited by Skylaw; 10-16-2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:33 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 S63, lowered
Skylaw- many thanks for your detailed response. Looks like that install was a bit of a PITA? I think I'll be trying to burn a DVD with the Mp3 format. I can't believe that MB would build such a luxurious car without Ipod capabilities.........
Old 10-18-2008, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's a bit of a PITA - but truth be told, I found that getting a good burn on the DVDs was a pain (I did mine before most of the material was posted on how to do it). Then, updating them was a pain.

The PITA for the GW 500 installation was a 1-time thing. Now, it's great.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:50 PM

Well after much research and inquiry I have decided to order the Incartronics Bluetooth/Ipod integration system. I really wanted to go with the GW 500 system, however the install for the incartronics looks to be easier and I couldn't find sufficient info on the Bluetooth add on for that kit. I was going to get the factory phone system but even with the pre-wire in the car it would cost $1600 and still not have ipod/iphone music connection.

When the parts arrive I will install and post a review.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:18 PM

S350 2005
Originally Posted by twinturba
Well after much research and inquiry I have decided to order the Incartronics Bluetooth/Ipod integration system. I really wanted to go with the GW 500 system, however the install for the incartronics looks to be easier and I couldn't find sufficient info on the Bluetooth add on for that kit. I was going to get the factory phone system but even with the pre-wire in the car it would cost $1600 and still not have ipod/iphone music connection.

When the parts arrive I will install and post a review.
Twinturba, please keep us informed about your experience as I too would like to hook up the iPhone to the 220. Dealer said there was no OEM option :-(
Old 10-25-2008, 02:26 AM

Supposed to be here Tuesday and I can hardly wait to play with my new toy! I will post updates when it arrives.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:36 PM

2005 S500 4Matic
Originally Posted by manano
Twinturba, please keep us informed about your experience as I too would like to hook up the iPhone to the 220. Dealer said there was no OEM option :-(
There is an OEM option. It is the iPhone cradle retailing for $500. It connects to the MHI in your car via BlueTooth and cradle (for power), but it doesn't connect to the iPod in your iPhone... no way.

If interested, see this link:

http://wireless4mb.com/page20/page20.html (although it states, that it is not available, indeed it is. Just call them via iPhone).

Additionally, this thread might be interesting / useful:

https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/259043-3g-iphone-cradle-has-arrived.html
Old 10-29-2008, 09:42 PM

Okay, so I was going to install the device this morning only to find that they will only honor their satisfaction guarantee if installed by a "professional" so I called them for their reccommended installer called him and got no response. They also told me that any installer could put it in so I took it to a nearby shop for install.

The device is installed, but it is not working as advertised. I have emailed them to find out if we can resolve these issues before I pull everything apart to do the write-up.

After install the good news was that the Iphone is able to to be connected using the ipod portion and be used like the factory phone system via bluetooth. It seemlessly muted the music of the iphone and connected to the phone like the factory phone system would with the steering wheel control and command working as advertised. The joy was quickly subdued by a few quirks that have reared their ugly heads.

First, I have tried my Iphone, video ipod, and Nano and none of the functions to change the song (CD1, CD2, CD3, CD4) work except the all songs feature (CD5) which is very inconvenient and not as described. Second, The command used to come on with the Mercedes logo on screen when the car was unlocked and the door opened, this no longer is the case. Third, the command doesn't turn off right away when the car is turned off and the key removed as used to be the case prior to install. Fourth, when I first activated the iphone's blue tooth it connected no problem, but now when I get back in the car it doesn't connect unless I turn off the blue tooth on the phone and turn it back on to initialize the connection once again not as described. Another issue that doesn't jive with their install instructions is the placement of the unit itself. It wouldn't fit where they show it being installed on my 2006.

I will keep you guys posted and take some pics of the install or removal when it's all sorted out. The install is extremely easy with the most difficult part being the running of the ipod cable and microphone cable (yes I had to use the supplied parrot microphone).
Old 11-02-2008, 02:34 PM

Well everything is installed and working as advertised. Between the documentation, online videos, online firmware updates and Skylaws post of his GW500 install everything went smoothly. I had a few issues at first after install but between being able to call and talk to a live person right away and their quick email respone everything was sorted out pretty easily. I removed everthing while trouble shooting and was going to snap pics of the install process but I actually used skylaws great post as a reference which I suggest anyone else use as well. The firmware is easily updated with any standard SD card. The only thing I need to do now is figure out a cradle or holder option for holding the iphone in the stock phone compartment space.

The itronic works with the iphone flawlessly and switches from ipod use to phone as it should after you download and install the iphone firmware from the incartronics site. The iphone functions works like a factory phone install and the music on the iphone is controlled like the CD changer. If you don't have a factory phone kit already and want to install an iphone this is definately the way to go. The only downside is you will lose the use of your factory cd changer as the ipod replaces it in the loop. This doesn't bother me much as I will mainly use the iphone for music with the occasional use of DVD-A discs which can only be played in the headunit DVD drive anyway. I highly reccommend the product!

If you already have a factory phone kit installed you may want to go with the iphone cradle and the GW500 unit for the ipod as the factory cd changer will still work.

If anyone has questions or needs pics let me know.

P.S. Thanks Skylaw for your great informative posts, they helped tremendously!

Last edited by twinturba; 11-02-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:34 PM

07 E350
Thumbs up Vehicle Warranty

Originally Posted by twinturba
Yea, I have an '06 S500 and would like to know this as well. All the Ipod interfaces I have seen is aftermarket and I assume installing one of these could affect my factory warranty.
Hi twinturba. By the way, thanks for your informative post and positive feedback on your install of the aftermarket products. We'll explain the mObridge/iTronic situation as best possible in another post addressing the one from Skylaw.

You should be informed that consumer protections in the U.S. are pretty strong against the warranty situation you are mentioning. Basically, it's your car and you should be free to modify it provided it doesn't harm the car. MOST is a logical interface, it's just light and bits and bytes. And the interface kits we're all talking about here are usually just a power (B+) and a ground as far as analog signals or anything hardwired that could get messed up. Data traffic on MOST (the "messages" for CD changer, iPod, telephone, etc) are just that. They don't permanently alter the vehicle. So there is no risk of harm to the vehicle so long as someone did a careful job of splicing power and ground!

Other concerns by the Factory/dealer regarding some aftermarket equipment might be sleep current consumption, a valid concern. The typical factory CDC consumes about 200 microamps sleep current. We designed our products to consume less than 100 microamps when off, so this exceeds even factory standard by a long shot. The sleep strategy is also VERY conservative. Basically when optical light goes away (determined by the VEHICLE factory system), we clean up our stuff and go to sleep within about 10 seconds. Very risk averse. So the chance of even so much as draining a battery is next to nil, less than the factory CDC!

As far as consumer protections go, see Magusson-Moss Warranty Act which was basically intended to ward against this very situation, businesses taking advantage of consumers by voiding warranty simply due to aftermarket installations/modifications. I'll shy from covering the details of Magnusson-Moss as none of this is to be contrived as legal advice. But here is a reference source: Wikipedia: Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act

So it pretty much obviates any vehicle warranty concerns. There are MUCH more controversial upgrades that the dealerships largely turn a blind eye to.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mObridge
As far as consumer protections go, see Magusson-Moss Warranty Act which was basically intended to ward against this very situation, businesses taking advantage of consumers by voiding warranty simply due to aftermarket installations/modifications. I'll shy from covering the details of Magnusson-Moss as none of this is to be contrived as legal advice. But here is a reference source: Wikipedia: Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act

So it pretty much obviates any vehicle warranty concerns. There are MUCH more controversial upgrades that the dealerships largely turn a blind eye to.
Not quite so fast - the foregoing, especially the "obviates any vehicle warranty concerns," is an overstatement of Magnusson-Moss. While it might prevent a manufacturer from voiding the warranty as to the engine or suspension, for example, or as to the whole car, because of an audio system modification, it would not forbid voiding the warranty on the fiber optic system and the components served by it, because of a modification to the fiber optic system. The dealer/manufacturer would be in a position to say the damage occurred because of the modification, leaving it to the owner to prove differently. The only recourse may be a lawsuit or arbitration - both expensive.

Any manufacturer warrants against defects in his own design or workmanship - and does not warrant systems whose design or function has been altered by the owner. While some modifications clearly do not affect function of the basic system, others may. MB, further, warrants some major components conditionally - try getting your engine repaired under warranty for a lubrication-related failure if you have used oil that does not comply with MB specifications.

I have not heard of a dealer denying warranty coverage because of an addition of a Gateway 500, a mObridge, or similar iPod device to the fiber optics bus - and mine certainly has not (but then, I have had no problem with my fiber optics or components). While I agree with you that if these systems are properly installed, there is little risk of damage to the fiber optic loop or components attached to it - but things are not quite so clear as you make them out to be in terms of warranty.

In addition, Magnusson-Moss is not the "last word" in warranty law. State law still applies, and can have large effect on the outcome of any situation.

Last edited by Skylaw; 11-10-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:39 PM

2004 e320
2004 E320
Itronic bt+ipod installation complete. Itronic peeps were very helpful. Iam definitely a novice at installation but everything was very clear and somewhat easy. Lucky I had the exact mercedes in the video. Command unit picked up my BB 8700 and loaded my phonebook and meassages. Ipod menu was a little confusing but after chatting with the itronic guys it made sense, money well spent. I was about to install an aftermarket system I am glad I didnt. Thanks Itronic
Old 12-19-2008, 03:41 AM

SL 500
GATEWAY 500 & WARRANTY ISSUES

This just happened to me. I have a 2005 SL500 with the GW 500 &

sometimes upon start up, the Command Screen will say "activating

navigation" & it will say this w/nothing else on the screen for the duration

of the trip until I stop & restart the car. The Shop Foreman @ a MB

dealership told me that he has seen this problem before & it has to do

w/either the first generation Sirius Satellite Receiver, CD Changer or

Amplifier not communicating on the fiber optic loop.

They went ahead & replaced the Satellite Receiver & the issue persisted.

Upon further inspection, they saw (as it could not be detected by STAR

diagnostic as it was turned off) the GW 500 connected to the fiber optic

loop & said this was causing the issue. I knew this was not causing the

issue as this issue existed before I had the GW 500 installed but now the

dealership is blaming the issue on the GW 500 & refusing to do anything

further stating that the GW 500 install is not a warranty item & by being

installed is voiding my warranty.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what I can do about the warranty

issue & what could be causing this issue with the Command communication
let me know.

Thanks
Old 12-20-2008, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stay after them with the fact that the problem occurred both before and after the installation of the GW 500. Switch the GW 500 out of the loop, and document that the problem still occurs. Demand that they show you how the GW 500 is the problem, since that have not replaced the amp - something they say is a known cause of the problem.

It is probably not the CDC, since the problem continued to occur after the GW 500 was installed, and the GW 500 replaces the CDC in the loop when it is selected.

There are no guarantees with this approach - they can continue to be horse's patooties. If so, try another dealer.