S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

LEVELING SENSOR ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"OO" s430
LEVELING SENSOR ??

LEFT front tire is sitting lower from other sides...machanic said it could be the leveling sensor going bad cause his computer tool is reading more CM on the height level for that tire... he leveled all the wheels with tool and still its sitting low... never had airmatic issues and still dont...

It looks as if i did the Washer Mod on that tire... just replaced upper n lower Rear control arms n ball joint. - issue started hours later (saturday) once it settled i guess..

maybe since sensor arm was disconnect and reconnect to new control it cause it to messup..
ever heard of these sensors going bad?
Old 12-22-2008, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by bklynjoker
LEFT front tire is sitting lower from other sides...machanic said it could be the leveling sensor going bad cause his computer tool is reading more CM on the height level for that tire... he leveled all the wheels with tool and still its sitting low... never had airmatic issues and still dont...

It looks as if i did the Washer Mod on that tire... just replaced upper n lower Rear control arms n ball joint. - issue started hours later (saturday) once it settled i guess..

maybe since sensor arm was disconnect and reconnect to new control it cause it to messup..
ever heard of these sensors going bad?
WHat is a rear control arm?? Maybe you didn;t connect the arm for the sensor properly to the upper control arm
Old 12-23-2008, 05:21 PM

"OO" s430
each side has Two lower arms... lower rear n front..
i changed the lower front rear control arm.

spoke to 2 techs and they said car needs to be RE calibrated... the machanic just replaced parts and didnt know or care about taking batt off or unpluging the airmatic so its all wacked.
once upper control arm is removed and level sensor is dismounted it all has to be re calibrated.. anyone?
Old 12-23-2008, 07:09 PM

Take it to the MB Dealer.

Big H
Old 12-24-2008, 04:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by bklynjoker
each side has Two lower arms... lower rear n front..
i changed the lower front rear control arm.

spoke to 2 techs and they said car needs to be RE calibrated... the machanic just replaced parts and didnt know or care about taking batt off or unpluging the airmatic so its all wacked.
once upper control arm is removed and level sensor is dismounted it all has to be re calibrated.. anyone?
No... you only have upper and lower control arms... There is no such thing as rear or front control arm... This bad info may be why your car is all jacked up...

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ntrol-arm.html

Also the there is no need to remove the sensor when changing the control arm. Only the link is attachted to the arm so there is more bad work. IF the sensor is removed it has to renouned precisely in the same location it was taken from if it is just a washers' thickness high ir low then there is you your problem...

My advise..
Next time get your work done with someone a little less shade tree.....

Last edited by my06clk; 12-24-2008 at 04:23 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Where did you go in Brooklyn>?
Old 12-24-2008, 02:05 PM

"OO" s430
there are 2 lower arms... one is connected to strut n ball joint and other is connect to frame/spindel housing which costs 80$ and other which connects to strut cost much more..

machanic next/side to battery tunnel - a good friend sent me there, hes a trusted machanic - dont know about his workers and one of them did the work.. i have a MB tech from benz in BK doing the work on the side for me - said he seen in past times the arm/sensor placed in the wrong hole. then he will set the airmatic the correct way.

maybe the ebay upper control arm is a tab bit different design from OEM and the arm sits lower?? which causes the Washer effect - thats the ONLY this i can think of
Old 12-25-2008, 02:32 AM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Ebay? Deustch Parts?

What part did you buy? Link?
Old 12-27-2008, 06:03 PM

"OO" s430
ok, job DONE - turns out the machanic placed the level sensor wrong, it was off by less than a inch.
Mbtech went in the wheel well - adjusted the upper control arm and sensor and **** went back to normal within seconds - then check all calibrations and set the car with his MB tool.

People reading this - make sure ur machanic knows what hes touching when doing Ball joint/control arm job... Goodluck
Old 12-30-2008, 07:11 PM

none
yea he left it out of the hole
Old 01-06-2019, 08:32 AM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
07' E63
When I replaced my Driver Side level sensor on my 2007 E63 recently, it was impossible for me to dial in the proper ride height due to my NOT positioning the sensor appropriately the first time after my haphazardly breaking it upon removal when installing F1 Adjustable Upper Control Arms. By my NOT positioning it such that the top of it was sloping downwards towards me enough, the voltage readings read below 1.8V any time I tried to increase the ride height above 25 1/4 inch measured from floor to fender, which for me was too low. I gained 11mm according to STAR/Xentry after adjusting the sensor by loosening the two mounting nuts and using a screwdriver to isolate the positioning of the sensor to remain sloping downwards as I tightened the nuts because the sensor will tend to twist upwards on Driver Side when tightening the nuts.

FYI, I used the Inclinometer App on my iPhone and layed on my back with one hand under each wheel contacting the nubs on the front Spring Control Arm and the surface of the rear axle. I found it easier starting from the rear and inflating the rears beforehand. Then with my finger on the F3 button to "Release Pressure" with Laptop on my stomach I found it easier to determine that the TOP Height range for the rear is -0.9 degrees while the Bottom of the range is -1.5. Measurement was 26 5/8 or so at -0.9 and about 26 for -1.5 in the rear, not very much room to play with there and even less room on the front. At 3.1 degrees being the Higher in Height than the alternative boundary of 4.1 degrees at the front, I was able to set the front at about 25 3/4 inch at 3.1 degrees while registering 1.8V "heighest height within the 1.8-2.8V range" reading for the front Driver Side after adjusting the sensor position. When I Engage the manually adjusted Height Increase Via the push button, ride height increases to just over 26 inch on front and 27 on rear!!

Now I'm finally able to enjoy the proper dampening of the suspension as I was a bit annoyed beforehand with the effects of the riding position I was forced to maintain due to STAR/Xentry simply NOT accepting my programmed levels if they didn't fall within the specific Voltage ranges, which they didn't when attempting to set at higher height with that Driver front sensor being installed improperly! The driver front range was for me the starting gauge since that level jumps out of range (i.e.- past 1.8 going lower to 1.7x the higher you go) if I inflated higher than 25 3/4 inch. Interestingly, while the range for the driver front was at its edge at 1.8v at 25 3/4, the range for front Passenger was in the middle of its range at that height?? Maybe there might be more room to adjust that Driver front sensor after all, but right now I'm pleased with results!!

Last edited by E63007; 01-06-2019 at 08:45 AM.