S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Airmatic to Springs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
Airmatic to Springs

Airmatic failing on S500...what are the pros and cons of converting to springs by Strutmasters???

Have much labor should be involved if decide to convert?

Thanks for the responses.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
just sell the car.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S500 Silver, Range Rover HSE Black
Springs

Rwaller,

Please update your profile with location as that may help in responses.

Con: The ride will change if you switchout your 220 to springs
Con: You won't get the satisfaction of fixing your air system for pennies on the dollar and maintaining the awesome ride you had when you bought her.

Pro: You won't ever have to use that car rising button on the dash again.
Pro: You could sell your car to someone for $8k less than kbb so they can fix it for less than $100 BEFORE you convert it....oh, sorry, that was my deal.

Seriously though, it is just a personal choice. One of the main reasons why I bought the 220 was the electronic air suspension system. However, I can see that one of the main reasons some get rid of them is the EAS.

Use some soapy water in a spray bottle and work on the top of each spring. If you see bubbles, that is the issue. Do the same around the valve block as it might be a simple thing like a bad oring or connection to the valving. The compressor ring may have just worn out and that can be replaced for $100 (part only) and about an hour of your time.

Sorry, not familiar with actual costs to convert a 220 yet - Don't want to go there.

Best of luck. Your call.

Art in San Jose

Old 01-03-2009, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
I'm not going to hate as I took a look at theis:

http://www.strutmasters.com/catalog.php?cat=57

at $749 if someone's car is headed to the junk yard as a result of Airmatic issues wich i doubt, this would be a keeper.

I have no reason to ever consider this on my car.

I could see doing it to any 9 of the 10 lincolns that I see sitting on the ground everywhere,Great long awaited solution as FMC seemed to have turned its back on its customers regarding this issue for years but a benz? not hardly.

I like to know how you are supposed to give your airtmatic system a hysterectomy and not get any screen messages with everything missing.

THese shocks may be plug and play, but the Airmatic system is not ecactly unplug and play.

anybody care to comment??
Old 01-03-2009, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
with such a wonderful description of the process on that site, I wouldn't give that place a dime.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
Originally Posted by ajkennedy
Rwaller,

Please update your profile with location as that may help in responses.

Con: The ride will change if you switchout your 220 to springs
Con: You won't get the satisfaction of fixing your air system for pennies on the dollar and maintaining the awesome ride you had when you bought her.

Pro: You won't ever have to use that car rising button on the dash again.
Pro: You could sell your car to someone for $8k less than kbb so they can fix it for less than $100 BEFORE you convert it....oh, sorry, that was my deal.

Seriously though, it is just a personal choice. One of the main reasons why I bought the 220 was the electronic air suspension system. However, I can see that one of the main reasons some get rid of them is the EAS.

Use some soapy water in a spray bottle and work on the top of each spring. If you see bubbles, that is the issue. Do the same around the valve block as it might be a simple thing like a bad oring or connection to the valving. The compressor ring may have just worn out and that can be replaced for $100 (part only) and about an hour of your time.

Sorry, not familiar with actual costs to convert a 220 yet - Don't want to go there.

Best of luck. Your call.

Art in San Jose

Thanks Art for the informative response. This site is really helpful and after reading the many past responses to the Airmatic issues vs springs I agree with the majority of the assessments. That is, to maintain the awesome ride and intergrity of the car I feel in love with, having whatever airmatic problems repaired is really a "No Brainer"...plus with all the help on this site on what to look for and how to reapair it...I looking forward to doing as much of the repair myself as possible.

Thanks again.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Good luck to you, rwaller. The reference below may help you, if you haven't seen it; and also, note that after strut replacement you should have your ride height sensors adjusted via STAR diagnostics.

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ront-w220.html
Old 01-05-2009, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 314 Likes on 232 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by my06clk
I'm not going to hate as I took a look at theis:

http://www.strutmasters.com/catalog.php?cat=57

at $749 if someone's car is headed to the junk yard as a result of Airmatic issues wich i doubt, this would be a keeper.

I have no reason to ever consider this on my car.

I could see doing it to any 9 of the 10 lincolns that I see sitting on the ground everywhere,Great long awaited solution as FMC seemed to have turned its back on its customers regarding this issue for years but a benz? not hardly.

I like to know how you are supposed to give your airtmatic system a hysterectomy and not get any screen messages with everything missing.

THese shocks may be plug and play, but the Airmatic system is not ecactly unplug and play.

anybody care to comment??
They list S55 and S600 as candidates for their Franken-suspension. If you think an Airmatic car won't take well to having it's guts ripped out, can you imagine what will happen if you try this on these ABC cars? It reminds me of the Candid Camera episode where some lady calls AAA for a jump and the engine is missing.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by whoover
They list S55 and S600 as candidates for their Franken-suspension. If you think an Airmatic car won't take well to having it's guts ripped out, can you imagine what will happen if you try this on these ABC cars? It reminds me of the Candid Camera episode where some lady calls AAA for a jump and the engine is missing.
LOL good one.. that's about what it amounts too..